Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's funny because what has Valve done for Diversity outreach in VR? Nothing. Zero. Nada. People are punishing the company that is active in reaching out to people, and instead telling people to buy from a company that hasn't done poo poo haha
:irony:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'd liken it more to Firefox... people simply don't like tech company leaders making contributions to bigotry.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Does that mean less indie shovelware and more AAA games for the Rift? Or are only white people going to be making games for the Rift now? I don't get it. Should we require all employees of a company to fill out a political questionnaire before every headset purchase? If Palmer is actually racist, but his company is doing stuff to better LGBT and diversity representation in gamesVR, should we boycott them anyway?

Yeah, why would a group of people, who were part of an event and program that was ostensibly about diversity, feel weird after it turns out that the keynote speaker of that event is a racist butthole?

They should really just shut up and be quiet. Thinking about these things is very stressful as a white man, and I am offended that anybody would have a problem with someone unrepentantly lying about supporting a group that was designed to create hate speech.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it would be like finding out the CEO of Subaru, a company that's done a lot of charitable stuff for gay organizations, was a rampant homophobe. it would show that all that outreach was nothing but marketing, it would be hypocritical and people don't like feeling pandered to by people who hate them

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Brendan Iribe is racist?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Yeah, why would a group of people, who were part of an event and program that was ostensibly about diversity, feel weird after it turns out that the keynote speaker of that event is a racist butthole?

They should really just shut up and be quiet. Thinking about these things is very stressful as a white man, and I am offended that anybody would have a problem with someone unrepentantly lying about supporting a group that was designed to create hate speech.

Show proof that Nimble America created hate speech. I'll save you some time: They didn't, and you can't. Palmer paid 10k to have a billboard put up that said "Too big to jail".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's a funny joke: Knock Knock Who's There Oculus Diversity Lead

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Brendan Iribe is racist?

as much as you wish it wasn't the case palmer luckey is still the face of oculus VR

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

d0s posted:

it would be like finding out the CEO of Subaru, a company that's done a lot of charitable stuff for gay organizations, was a rampant homophobe. it would show that all that outreach was nothing but marketing, it would be hypocritical and people don't like feeling pandered to by people who hate them

The actions of one person are hardly representative of a company as a whole. It's not like Facebook is directly using revenue from these Oculus sales to directly fund hate. In fact they're probably using funds to do the opposite.

Some people were even implying that you should be "ASHAMED" for having worked for this company, but "IT'S OKAY" and you don't have to quit because you have to feed your family.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that companies and their employees have you in the best interests, but I'm pretty sure if you take a hard enough look, you'd uncover some shady poo poo or things not within the accepted worldview all over the place.

In other news, I'm dying for Oculus to release touch soon, I keep seeing these awesome things being made in TiltBrush and Medium and I want to get my hands on that to gently caress around with it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Brendan Iribe is racist?

Don't be willfully dense. We're talking about the article he linked. It contains this line:

quote:

After a long day of meetings, the final speaker was Oculus founder Palmer Luckey, wearing his trademark Hawaiian shirt. By keynoting the event, some attendees felt, Luckey was sending a message: The future of VR looked like them.

If you don't want to read it first maybe avoid commenting.

Poetic Justice posted:

Show proof that Nimble America created hate speech. I'll save you some time: They didn't, and you can't.

Trump's entire campaign is explicitly about hatred. Luckey clearly supports Trump. Nimble America is a group that was in part helmed by Milo Yiannopoulos, who among other things was banned from Twitter for doing things like inciting people to attack Leslie Jones, including spreading fake tweets that made it seem like she was homophobic and racist. His girlfriend kept posting racist/islamophobic poo poo to Twitter, as well.

If you want to intentionally blind yourself to reality you could weasel your way into thinking this is all fine, but it is not, and criticizing people who are part of a program that was explicitly aimed at various minorities for speaking up about it is hosed up. The fact that Oculus hasn't addressed any of this directly is a serious issue.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Trump's entire campaign is explicitly about hatred. Luckey clearly supports Trump. Nimble America is a group that was in part helmed by Milo Yiannopoulos, who among other things was banned from Twitter for doing things like inciting people to attack Leslie Jones, including spreading fake tweets that made it seem like she was homophobic and racist. His girlfriend kept posting racist/islamophobic poo poo to Twitter, as well.

If you want to intentionally blind yourself to reality you could weasel your way into thinking this is all fine, but it is not, and criticizing people who are part of a program that was explicitly aimed at various minorities for speaking up about it is hosed up. The fact that Oculus hasn't addressed any of this directly is a serious issue.

So, like what I'm asking you is did Palmer or Nimble America put out any white supremacist or racists meme's? I'm not a fan of doing the whole "he's guilty just because he's surrounded by shitlords" type thinking, personally, because that is the same mindset that leads to people thinking every black guy in a poor neighborhood is part of a gang because he might hang around some gang members.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Poetic Justice posted:

Show proof that Nimble America created hate speech. I'll save you some time: They didn't, and you can't. Palmer paid 10k to have a billboard put up that said "Too big to jail".

I'm actually curious to see what besides the billboard they actually put out and how much / how supreme/racist the memes actually were.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We all saw before the CV1 release that Palmer was shaping up to be a PR timebomb, but I have to give him credit for exceeding expectations and continuing to damage the company even after his position as Chief Tweeter was restaffed.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

So, like what I'm asking you is did Palmer or Nimble America put out any white supremacist or racists meme's? I'm not a fan of doing the whole "he's guilty just because he's surrounded by shitlords" type thinking, personally, because that is the same mindset that leads to people thinking every black guy in a poor neighborhood is part of a gang because he might hang around some gang members.

the guy gave 10 grand to milo yanollulululus for "meme magic", are you willfully ignorant or do you live under a rock?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

d0s posted:

as much as you wish it wasn't the case palmer luckey is still the face of oculus VR

So your CEO analogy was just poo poo then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

d0s posted:

the guy gave 10 grand to milo yanollulululus for "meme magic", are you willfully ignorant or do you live under a rock?

Ah yes, the powerful political meme's. :feelsgood: Found any examples of the racist ones from Nimble America yet?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 28, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

So your CEO analogy was just poo poo then.

I'm sorry captain semantics :spergin:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In VR news, Studio 397 took over development of rFactor 2. Among the improvements they mentioned, one was bringing the sim to DirectX 11 as well as adding in VR. People seem to get real mad whenever people bring up VR in racing sims, but I'm glad they are looking to the future. Simulation anything is going to be all about VR in a year or so.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it's cool how alt-right people instantly become lawyers when one of their own is threatened instead of just owning it

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

In VR news, Studio 397 took over development of rFactor 2. Among the improvements they mentioned, one was bringing the sim to DirectX 11 as well as adding in VR. People seem to get real mad whenever people bring up VR in racing sims, but I'm glad they are looking to the future. Simulation anything is going to be all about VR in a year or so.

What in the world, why do they do that? Racing and VR are meant for each other.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

People seem to get real mad whenever people bring up VR in racing sims

seriously? why? that's pretty retarded

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Why the hell would they get mad about VR being brought up in Any racing game?

Lets spend $$$$ on multi monitors, motion seats, TrackIR, custom machined ffb wheels/peddles/shifter/etc. Yet VR is too far?

VR and Any "SIM" is a perfect match and should be built in from the start of any new Sim game made from now on really.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

VR and Any "SIM" is a perfect match and should be built in from the start of any new Sim game made from now on really.

Seriously. I was pretty bummed when f12016 didn't have VR support, although I'm sure it was pretty far in development already and it was probably too late. But you are right, from this point on, sims really should have VR support built into them from the ground up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

What in the world, why do they do that? Racing and VR are meant for each other.

Racing sims are very niche and the teams tend to be small. Working on anything that doesn't directly improve the sim for a person causes them to rage. People in iRacing rage about new tracks being added when the developers should instead be working on day/night transitions. So if someone doesn't personally have a VR headset, any implementation of VR is a clear waste of time. They don't seem to have any concept of different kinds of development. Someone working on implementing VR isn't the same person who would be working on adding a new car. It doesn't matter to them. You should have seen the rage when Assetto Corsa was considering adding VR. Even the main developer thought it was stupid. Then he got his Rift (maybe for free) and he changed his mind and quickly implemented it.

Even in the tech relics thread, there is a guy who refuses to accept that maybe artists would want to use VR to create things. To many people VR = 3D glasses and it's just a another expensive fad that is going to die soon.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't understand why some people hero worship Palmer even before this. Like I see references to him being the creator of VR which is absurd for a 24 year old. Like even bloody Hackers, a movie that come out when Palmer was probably still making GBS threads himself, has the villain using what looks pretty much like a Rift and an Omni. People have been screwing around with strapping a monitor to your face for decades waiting for it to become feasible for consumers and it still is barely there. Nothing revolutionary.

Didn't his parents help him pay for some expensive hardware which he smashed together and got some lucky attention from the internet? Cool hardware hacking project and all but hardly worth the crazy Hank Rearden bullshit which you hear for a bio from his boasting.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 28, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Saying it's hosed up that Palmer Luckey gave $10,000 to this guy

(To be explicitly clear, the images he tweeted were fake and insanely racist, to smear her)

makes me the real racist. You're right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He became the face of bringing VR back into the public eye I guess. It's annoying that he's the main face of VR because he wouldn't have gotten anywhere without help from people like John Carmack or Valve. Seems like he was just on that VR forum with a bunch of other people tinkering away until he got lucky with some help from other people and then started a kickstarter.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
The worst part of racing games in vr is that it's super easy to make yourself sick. In a competitive sense it's hard to imagine vr giving any tangible advantage.

I threw away half my Saturday going too hard in project cars

Lemming posted:

If you want to intentionally blind yourself to reality

To be fair, this is the vr thread

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Poetic Justice posted:

As someone who pulled support, I too fail to find evidence they did anything other than a billboard. Palmer's free to have as many lovely opinions as he wants, but it looks like Nimble America's active shittery was overblown. :shrug: So I might end up having Touch support anyway.

Though I don't think he should be the "face" of Oculus anymore. But he really hasn't been lately.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Kazy posted:

Though I don't think he should be the "face" of Oculus anymore. But he really hasn't been lately.

Totally :agreed:

Lemming posted:

Saying it's hosed up that Palmer Luckey gave $10,000 to this guy

(To be explicitly clear, the images he tweeted were fake and insanely racist, to smear her)

makes me the real racist. You're right.

Uh, I asked about Palmer and Nimble America not what Milo tweeted in July. Or is this just another example of the thinking of "he's done some ignorant poo poo in the past, therefore everything he will ever do or be involved with will be ignorant."?

I'm not sure why so many people are calling Nimble America or Palmer racist or white supremacists when 1, there are none of these meme's they keep talking about and 2 aren't all the racists already voting for Trump anyway? Do you think there is a large contingent of white power people that were planning on voting for Hillary but if they saw the right meme they would suddenly change their minds and vote for Trump haha?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kazy posted:

As someone who pulled support, I too fail to find evidence they did anything other than a billboard. Palmer's free to have as many lovely opinions as he wants, but it looks like Nimble America's active shittery was overblown. :shrug: So I might end up having Touch support anyway.

Hey, thanks for being a reasonable human being.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Palmer Luckey is an idiot manchild and I'm not surprised he chose to support the dumbest possible candidate in the stupidest way. I seriously doubt he gave it any thought beyond "LOL MEMES ARE FUNNY."

With that said, if I'm worried about buying products from companies that are run by shitheads, I probably need to worry more about companies like Monsanto and every pharmaceutical company than I do the maker of my expensive toy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kazy posted:

That's only because they were laughed off of the white supremacist message board that Palmer Luckey was posting to, 6 days before The Daily Beast article was posted.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

Totally :agreed:

Uh, I asked about Palmer and Nimble America not what Milo tweeted in July. Or is this just another example of the thinking of "he's done some ignorant poo poo in the past, therefore everything he will ever do or be involved with will be ignorant."?

I'm not sure why so many people are calling Nimble America or Palmer racist or white supremacists when 1, there are none of these meme's they keep talking about and 2 aren't all the racists already voting for Trump anyway? Do you think there is a large contingent of white power people that were planning on voting for Hillary but if they saw the right meme they would suddenly change their minds and vote for Trump haha?

You're including a lot of irrelevant stuff in your post (potential effectiveness is irrelevant), but yes, Milo is an unrepentant racist bigot and he will continue to be so. You're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm not.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't get why someone would play a racing game where you're inside the car, the entire gameplay is predicated on staring as far away down the track as you can manage which VR doesn't do well at all.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It seemed like nothing happened with Nimble because Palmer's an idiot and the whole thing was mostly a con anyway. It doesn't really speak to his merit that Palmer sucks at being lovely.

Milo does awful dreadful poo poo but he doesn't even pretend to be about anything but getting money/attention however he can. Since alt-right internet dorks are so naive he has latched onto them for his sustenance so it's not a surprise he wants to find ways to bilk Palmer.

Bhodi posted:

I don't get why someone would play a racing game where you're inside the car, the entire gameplay is predicated on staring as far away down the track as you can manage which VR doesn't do well at all.

Is that how people play racing games competitively? Like as someone who just screws around in them I'd definitely rather have greater immersion even if it made me play 'worse' but I've never competed online or worried about how I'm doing in the abstract.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^ No one who takes sim racing seriously drives in third person. Mainly because serious sims don't offer a third person camera.

Bhodi posted:

It does pretty well at the moment. Sure you can't get perfect detail way down a straight but it's good enough to see the next corner. You can't read the the words on the back of the car all the way down the straight but you can see it is there. You can see cars around you just fine. I've been racing in VR ever since iRacing started supporting the DK2. The added depth perception is great for placing the car on the apex and especially in wheel to wheel racing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

^^ No one who takes sim racing seriously drives in third person. Mainly because serious sims don't offer a third person camera.
And the ones that do have server side options for forcing people to use cockpit view, that all the diehards turn on.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bhodi posted:

Because you get a better sense of speed and distance in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Have you guys not met sim people? I find quite a lot of the more vocal ones dislike or outright hate VR. I suppose it's because they think they can't use their fancy built plywood setups, but honestly I don't know why