Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

And here I thought I'd have to wait until the next chapter to see people getting torn to shreds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

U-DO Burger posted:

And here I thought I'd have to wait until the next chapter to see people getting torn to shreds

Pretty sure it's a new thread feature actually.

:sissies:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Temple, I have a question: how do you feel about when Guts was running around killing apostles for 2 years?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Temple's Griffith apologeticism is absolute idiocy but digging up his old posts to attempt to shame him for a completely unrelated opinion is both petty and intellectually dishonest. I don't care for Temple's posting or his rhetoric but if you're going to argue with him in the Berserk thread then you'd better be arguing about Berserk.

Quit posting about posters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is nothing intellectual about this conversion so it checks out.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Despite all the metaphors, there is still some responsibility born by the Hawks. Of course, this depends entirely on some base moral philosophy, but without one there's no argument that the Hawks were misused in the Eclipse.

Proceeding then, are the minions irresponsible when following the general's orders? Quite the contrary in a golden age, where the king is infallible and everyone else is necessarily guilty. Griffith's position is quite clear here though: He tells the Queen there are no innocents in war. He asks Guts if he's evil for doing all these things without getting his hands dirty. He is completely detached from Charlotte, except perhaps for some small moment of grief, but otherwise he is entirely using everyone as a simple object.

He offers rewards to the Hawks? Does that truly describe placing their backs to a river at Doldery? Does Corkus consider himself anything anymore, or truly have any aspirations? He storms off from Guts after pointing out that everything they have is... Griffith's, from Griffith, a result of Griffith. Griffith didn't reward them by permitting them the opportunity to become nobles; they were made nobles as part of Griffith's train.

Is it possible that Griffith only ever told Guts "I will be king"? Sure, but the Hawks were Griffith's nonetheless. Griffith fell and the Hawks fell. Griffith still had his mind, Casca kept the Hawks hearts barely beating. All were shocked during the start of the Eclipse, but look back at the moment the decision was actually made. If Griffith had to sacrifice his body, why not the whole team? Why not Casca if Griffith was with Gennon?

Guts rightly noted, I was just a small pebble in the path, you'll pick yourself back up and keep going. The Eclipse was another pebble; Griffith didn't trip.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Does any of that mean anything.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

Griffith apologeticism is absolute idiocy

Frankly speaking, sympathy for the devil Griffith is one of the best possible reactions. Surely he is simply too beautiful to be destroyed.

I've devoured like 4000 pages of this manga, and the omitted details become the catalyst leading up to the unforeseen resolution to the current problem.

Casca's disembodied psyche was still holding on, reinforcing the possibility that the white hawk was merely a prisoner of bad fortune with superdimensional forces. She made a conscious decision to remove herself consciously from this opera, leaving an earthly placeholder to keep watch over her body and unborn child. The "free will argument" is the centerpiece to this great drama.

A battlefield during a turbulent fight has been elluded to a fight amongst fellows over a woman, a sort of dual insemination of potentialities, to be decided by the victor. the egg of the king suggests a vessel of potentiality, nothing more. Griffith is an argument for free will, even the freedom to forsake useless baggage for the greater good. The freedom to reserve explanation in the heat of battle. He is still potentially good, which is what Guts knows, thus his foremost task is not to destroy him, but to recover what can be recovered. The band of scoundrels and looters may well have been collateral damage, and Griff might well be playing a role, in wait for an opportunity to overthrow the fingers of the Godhand.

He's a drat beautiful man, kinda an rear end in a top hat, and any hasty resolution would be an abrupt and unfail end to this artful manga about things that make me think deep thinks.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
get this: griffith... is bad. checkmate bitch!!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Indeed the black and white nature of Midland's day to day existence does so indicate that Griffith is just a baddie.

Maybe a better author could expand that, but Miura's only concerned with perfect cross hatching sadly. Oh well.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There are lots of theories and interpretations, but I'm really not seeing "actually fighting in a regular war under a general that does his best to keep you alive is exactly the same as getting fed to demons" as being one supported by the work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Indeed the black and white nature of Midland's day to day existence does so indicate that Griffith is just a baddie.

Maybe a better author could expand that, but Miura's only concerned with perfect cross hatching sadly. Oh well.

Berserk is fairly straightforward yeah, ain't a lot of room for grey.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Griffith raped Casca so unless that's also acceptable because she was a soldier working for him (spoiler: it isn't) Griffith is still garbage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Temple's Griffith apologeticism is absolute idiocy

I think Griffith is good for the reasons people think he's bad :twisted:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Metal Pink Babble posted:

sympathy for the devil
Griffith isn't some mustache-twirling villain who perpetuates evil for evil's sake. He's a human being, more or less, with flaws and aspirations. His aspirations lead him to do great things, while his flaws undermine his goals and threaten to bring everything crashing down. In the end he does some terrible things, and here were are today. His motives, the underlying weaknesses that lead him to do what he does, are human and consistent with his character. He's a complex portrait of the man who would be king by his own hands. He's still done some terrible things, for which knowing his reasons in no way lessens the brutality of his actions. He's a beautiful, ugly, charismatic, disgusting, high-minded, and petty creature. His numerous facets and neuroses explain his actions, but in no way absolve him of culpability.

If this were merely some attempt to "Know" Griffith, to understand how he's become the way he is and why he does the things he does, then sure, go ahead. If you want to argue he did terrible things with some noble goal in mind, I seriously doubt that (and certainly he's done some terrible things entirely divorced from whatever that "Noble" overarching goal might be), but that's a battle you can maybe fight from a weaker position with more information. If you wanna start saying things like "Actually, the terrible things he did weren't actually terrible" though, and that his victims somehow all consented to their fate (with the related assertion that Rickert was "Spared" because he couldn't "Consent," even though that doesn't jive with the interpretation that they were all willing to die for him anyway), now we're getting into some weird territory I can't and don't condone, and won't go to bat for nor dress up my sentiments.

At his lowest point, in a position of weakness, Griffith was tempted with power and accepted. He succumbed, and his first use of this newfound power was an act of petty, selfish, indulgent and barbaric revenge against the two people he percieved as hurting him the most. There is no nobility there, no misunderstood love. A human was hurt, and in response hurt others.

You can argue he's a monstrous figure. You can argue he's a tragic figure. You can argue he's a complex human being. But you can't argue "Actually, he's the good guy, and all that stuff he did was totally kosher; if only Guts could look past his personal greivances" without whitewashing his actions to an absurd degree.

mabels big day posted:

I don't disagree there. He's a fascinating character but an abysmal human being, neither of which are mutually exclusive states.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

mabels big day posted:

You're a real hosed up piece of work then.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Pewdiepie posted:

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad for them.

Okay, we've hit that thread milestone again. Yay :smithicide:

So I've never played a musou game and I keep trying to lower my expectations of my dudebrochick being a whirling death monster through mobs of orcs and mooks unphased till the next objective, or hopefully epic boss battle. I'm also worried I'll be more appeased replaying DS3 with the Abyss cape and a greatsword. Because greatswords are the loving bees knees.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

griffith likes dubbed anime

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

griffith likes dubbed anime

jesus dude, this is a light-hearted series about rape, murder, and the end of the world, it doesn't need horrific poo poo like that in it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
*joins the marines* can't wait to get fed to a giant evil space alien by my superiors, which I have implicitly Consented To via Partaking in War

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

IronicDongz posted:

*joins the marines* can't wait to get fed to a giant evil space alien by my superiors, which I have implicitly Consented To via Partaking in War

Starship Troopers is a good movie

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

Okay, we've hit that thread milestone again. Yay :smithicide:

So I've never played a musou game and I keep trying to lower my expectations of my dudebrochick being a whirling death monster through mobs of orcs and mooks unphased till the next objective, or hopefully epic boss battle. I'm also worried I'll be more appeased replaying DS3 with the Abyss cape and a greatsword. Because greatswords are the loving bees knees.

Those aren't the words I posted.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/26/berserk-and-the-band-of-the-hawk-interview-producer-talks-gameplay-frame-rate-violence-and-more/

8 playable characters are all we're getting in Berserk Musou, so no Skully.
It runs at 30FPS on all platforms, they don't know about PC fps. Dismemberment doesn't seem to be getting added in the West.

Hype gone.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 29, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sakurazuka posted:

the aliens aren't actually evil and that's the point!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If the IOE is just exercising the will of humanity, then people wanted the Hawks to get munched. Military contracts and job descriptions have nothing to do with it; it's pure, utilitarian, instantaneous voting at its finest... if the IOE is effective.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say Starship Troopers is a great movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/26/berserk-and-the-band-of-the-hawk-interview-producer-talks-gameplay-frame-rate-violence-and-more/

It runs at 30FPS on all platforms, they don't know about PC fps. Dismemberment doesn't seem to be getting added in the West.

Hype gone.

I don't care about the other stuff but 8 characters is pretty meh, I think even Ken's Rage 1 had more than that

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Actually kind of mad about wyald inclusion now from just uninterested before.

Echoing the above, most of the other stuff is whatever but that bit blows really hard.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 29, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought they had already revealed nine characters though.

Guts, Griffith, Casca, Judeau, Skull Knight, Zodd, Wyald, Serpico, and Schierke.

Are one of those not right?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unless I missed it, no Skull Knight.

Wyald is a really odd inclusion there. Like, he's so minor, and they include characters like Schierke so they're covering a wide range, but still picked him over people before or after. I'm betting he's a fight and was made into a playable character from there or something.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The saddest part of Starship Troopers is that it turned out lots of people had no idea it was a tongue in cheek look at war propaganda. I'm not even sure how they missed that with all of the patriotic garbage plastered onto the entire film reel from beginning to end.

Hype gone.

Well now I'm glad the DS3 DLC1 releases next month. WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5JCsO6eblw

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought they had already revealed nine characters though.

Guts, Griffith, Casca, Judeau, Skull Knight, Zodd, Wyald, Serpico, and Schierke.

Are one of those not right?

Yep, Skully hasn't had a gameplay demo thing like those others.

I'm not Wyaldphobic like some, but in like of all that, gently caress him. If you can only have 8, my boy Skull Knight should be one of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The first Musou in a series is usually just an experimental first stab anyway. Berserk Musou 2 is probably where this'll become an actual game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or it'll be Ken's Rage 2 :smith:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Inducing Berserk rage 2016: Defend Griffith, Wyald, or the hiatus.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am a big Berserk fan, but before I was a big Berserk fan, I was an even bigger fan of Susumu Hirasawa.

What some people are not aware of is that Hirasawa started out in this awesome little elctro-pop-punk 4-piece band called P-MODEL. Some of you probably do know that, though.

Forgive me if this has been posted before here (or if it is too off-topic) but I wanted to share Susumu Hirasawa, the badass composer behind Berserk's instantly recognizable score, in freaking 1979 singing at the front of ostensible a Kraftwerk-ish rock n roll group.

This particular song and performance is just AWESOME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D05Rx6E_oSc

Yes, that is Baby-Hirasawa singing. He must have been in his early twenties here. Amazing gnarled punk-ish guitar and synth work here.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why would you even make a musou with less than 20 characters.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

8 characters is really dumb, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what sort of DLC gets added.

Also, I'm in the minority but I enjoyed the gently caress out of KR2. The one thing both FotNS games had going for them was the incredible buttrock soundtrack, I mean god drat was it satisfying as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0uPlQcwH4

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Awesome Welles posted:

8 characters is really dumb, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what sort of DLC gets added.

The same article says that their DLC plans are pretty light overall. Wouldn't expect a lot of characters added for DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat, that sucks. Still looking forward to a better adaptation of Tower of Conviction than the new season at least.