Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

There are a few ways to handle the extra cucumber moisture, but I'm gonna recommend dehydrating then with salt. Slice them, put them in a colander (or other container with drainage), salt them fairly heavily, and let them sit for an hour or so. Rinse the extra salt off, and you are done.

That's kind of what I did... I sliced them thin on a mandoline into a salad spinner, tossed them with some kosher salt, then left them for about 20 minutes. Except instead of rinsing, I filled the bowl and swished them before draining/spinning. It's possible the quick salting and the immersion rinse may have left more moisture than they otherwise would have kept. I'll try salting them longer tonight.

The only other ingredients were sliced red onion, dill, and plain greek yogurt so I'm assuming it was the cucumber that diluted the yogurt into water. I might mix everything tonight and wait until tomorrow before work to drain again and add the yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hogmartin posted:

That's kind of what I did... I sliced them thin on a mandoline into a salad spinner, tossed them with some kosher salt, then left them for about 20 minutes. Except instead of rinsing, I filled the bowl and swished them before draining/spinning. It's possible the quick salting and the immersion rinse may have left more moisture than they otherwise would have kept. I'll try salting them longer tonight.

The only other ingredients were sliced red onion, dill, and plain greek yogurt so I'm assuming it was the cucumber that diluted the yogurt into water. I might mix everything tonight and wait until tomorrow before work to drain again and add the yogurt.

You want to salt them then squeeze them out after rinsing, at least that is what I do for cucumber when I make tzatziki sauce.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

hogmartin posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for a cucumber yogurt salad? I made one last night for lunch today and either the cucumber had way more water than I thought or some ingredient 'broke' the greek yogurt; it tasted fine but it was a runny puddle of yogurt water with no body to it.

Grate them, squeeze them, reserve the liquid.

Mix the grated cucumber with the yogurt and whatever else except for salt. Salt just before serving.

Use the reserved liquid in cocktails. Gin works nicely.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Just moved into an apartment with a very old gas stove with pilot lights. It's got pilot lights for the burners and also for the oven.

Unfortunately it either does not have temperature settings or some doofus has cleaned them off.

For pilot light ovens, is there a 'light' setting like for the burners? Or should any temperature setting light the oven?

And is there a standard for cw/ccw being higher/lower temp? I kept on turning it clockwise but it didn't turn itself off and ended up getting to 500+ before I just totally turned it off!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LongSack posted:

No, the few healthy ones are ok. In fact I turned 2 of them into a very tasty (and nuclear hot) mango hot sauce this weekend.
That makes it more likely that it's pepper weevils or some other pest. If you've got a shitload of peppers molding on the plant then you're bound to cut open a couple that look good to find mold on the inside. And most other diseases/fungal infections/whatever either start from the blossom end instead of the stem end, or they're visible on other parts of the plant.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
How do I cook with honey? I heard it has some tenderizing properties when it comes to meat? But it's also sugar so that poo poo caramelizes like gently caress if I heat it too much?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eeyo posted:

Just moved into an apartment with a very old gas stove with pilot lights. It's got pilot lights for the burners and also for the oven.

Unfortunately it either does not have temperature settings or some doofus has cleaned them off.

For pilot light ovens, is there a 'light' setting like for the burners? Or should any temperature setting light the oven?

And is there a standard for cw/ccw being higher/lower temp? I kept on turning it clockwise but it didn't turn itself off and ended up getting to 500+ before I just totally turned it off!

I don't know if anyone can say for certain without knowing the model of oven you have but a few things from having used a couple of different very old gas ovens:

1. Generally clockwise starts at low temp and goes up to highest. This may not be a universal rule for all manufacturers though.

2. I haven't seen any "light" setting for an oven with a pilot setup. For all the ones I've encountered it's just been turn up the heat, oven lights up. You could test this easily enough by just turning it up to a low heat, let it run for 60 seconds and then see if the oven is lit. That won't be enough time to release so much unlit gas that it's a safety issue and more than enough time for it to have lit if it was going to.

Take all of this with a healthy dose of skepticism and be safe first.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've been told by an Italian girl that they (Italians) fry whole cloves of garlic in olive oil when beginning a pasta sauce, then remove the garlic once the oil is infused. I've also seen this in a few videos. Does this actually make any difference to if you just chop the garlic and leave it in? Other than there obviously being bits of garlic or no bits of garlic in the finished sauce

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Does this actually make any difference to if you just chop the garlic and leave it in?

Yep. (Try it and see!) Chris Kimball's latest venture also just touched on this topic:

quote:

Mincing garlic releases more of the sulfurous compounds that can taste bitingly potent. We prefer the milder, less pungent flavor of whole, lightly smashed garlic cloves cooked with the dish, then fished out before serving. You get the garlic flavor, minus the bite. And minus the breath! It’s also easier, tidier and faster.

Additionally, if you're mincing your garlic, even the delay between prep and cook can sometimes have a substantial effect on the flavor profile.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

SweetBro posted:

How do I cook with honey? I heard it has some tenderizing properties when it comes to meat? But it's also sugar so that poo poo caramelizes like gently caress if I heat it too much?

Never heard that one before. I really doubt that it has any tenderising effect, but that's doubt from instinct rather than knowledge. I add honey towards the end of stir fries so that it doesn't burn, let it bubble away and turn the meat to candy but aside from that never use it near heat.

Paperhouse posted:

I've been told by an Italian girl that they (Italians) fry whole cloves of garlic in olive oil when beginning a pasta sauce, then remove the garlic once the oil is infused. I've also seen this in a few videos. Does this actually make any difference to if you just chop the garlic and leave it in? Other than there obviously being bits of garlic or no bits of garlic in the finished sauce

I think the idea is that by removing it, it's not going to burn and turn bitter. Personally I leave the garlic in, as I never cook a quick pasta sauce at either a high enough heat or for long enough for that to matter. For a long cooked sauce I'll add it later in the cooking process to get a decently garlicly flavour (along with some roast garlic).

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
What is everyone's thoughts on what to use for fried chicken? I've only used peanut oil but I'm thinking about trying Crisco the next time. Or if there's another oil out there that is better I'd be curious.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Lard is good. If you want to take it really next level, Sean Brock has a bit of a ridiculous fried chicken in which he combines equal parts rendered chicken fat, lard, and canola oil for the frying fat. Then he adds Benton's ham and bacon (2 oz each for every 3 cups of frying fat) to the oil and heats to 275, turns the heat off and lets the flavors infuse for 10 minutes. The pork is then removed before heating up the oil for frying. :effort: but it is dang good.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I have a LOT of potatoes and I need to start making meals to keep in my freezer for quick reheating. What would you do?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How much salt is required to quick pickle something that I plan on keeping for 6-8 weeks in the fridge?

I've been trying to make pickled cherry peppers that are more vinegary in flavor than salty, but every recipe I've found asks for a lot of salt. I'm not actually canning them because I don't have the ability to pressure cook in my kitchen. Instead I'm doing ghetto rigged canning (putting them in jars with boiling brine, boiling the jars for ~5 minutes) and I'm not keeping them any longer than about two months. If I can get away with putting little to no salt in there, I'd prefer it. However I'm assuming at least some is required for preservative purposes.

Any help?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

defectivemonkey posted:

I have a LOT of potatoes and I need to start making meals to keep in my freezer for quick reheating. What would you do?

Shepherds Pie or Cottage Pie. This recipe is really good:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/gordon-ramsay-s-shepherd-pie-50161080

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

defectivemonkey posted:

How quick? For a few weeks now I've frozen beef chili/stew; before eating I just microwave-cook diced potatoes for 5 min and then add the chili/stew. Makes it so I can also use rice or pasta if I want to change it up a bit.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

rgocs posted:

How quick? For a few weeks now I've frozen beef chili/stew; before eating I just microwave-cook diced potatoes for 5 min and then add the chili/stew. Makes it so I can also use rice or pasta if I want to change it up a bit.

Not that quick, I just need options for when I don't want to/can't cook.

I'm very glad you said this because it's secretly what I wanted to make but I didn't know how well it would freeze.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

defectivemonkey posted:

Ready-to-cook hashbrowns are pretty good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

spanish tortillas

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

defectivemonkey posted:

Pierogi. They're perfect for this kind of thing. The overhead of getting out all the utensils, rolling out the dough, making the filling, folding, and then cleaning it all up means I'd never bother just making a dozen for dinner, but they're perfect for knocking out a ton of them in an afternoon. Plus they freeze great, and they're already portioned so you can pull as many out of the freezer bag as you need at any time.

And/or a big-rear end stockpot of potato-leek soup in individual freezer containers.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Pierogi. They're perfect for this kind of thing. The overhead of getting out all the utensils, rolling out the dough, making the filling, folding, and then cleaning it all up means I'd never bother just making a dozen for dinner, but they're perfect for knocking out a ton of them in an afternoon. Plus they freeze great, and they're already portioned so you can pull as many out of the freezer bag as you need at any time.

And/or a big-rear end stockpot of potato-leek soup in individual freezer containers.

Oh poo poo, that's genius. That even has the benefit of not taking up a ton of space.

Re: tortillas please take me through the freezing process (although that seems maybe silly for a food that takes no time to make in the first place).

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
If at some point in this undertaking you find yourself with a big bowl of mashed potato that's been in the refrigerator for a few days and you don't know what to do with it, try lokshi. It's a kind of potato crepe or blintz, thin pancakes that you can serve with jam and sugar/cinnamon or sour cream and kraut. Grammy always called them 'rags' so it took us some effort to find out what the actual name is. Using leftover potatoes sounds kind of like making fried rice from yesterday's stale steamed rice; presumably it came from the same motivation of not throwing out something that's still edible. I have no idea how they freeze, they're just good for clearing out the refrigerator after a potato bender.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/20798/polish-lokshi-stove-rags.html

Grammy's recipe is pretty much exactly that except the butter is for frying, not topping, and the sugar goes on after only if you're making sweet ones, not in the pancake itself. They should be rolled out crepe-thin.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seconding pierogi, they freeze great. Croquettes also do, don't bread them just freeze the filling in balls.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You could be like my Minnesota family and just make about 800 billion lefse and then put the leftovers in the deep freeze to be brought out every week for the next 3 months until it's time to do it again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there a tried and true recipe for pickling eggs? I want to make eggs a larger part of my diet, I've tried three different store brands and threw them all away due to their disgusting flavor. The worst was one claiming to be a "smoked pickled egg", which sounds amazing except for the fact that they tasted like candy because there was so much sugar in them... I didn't even think about looking at the sugar content because I've literally never had a sweet pickled egg to begin with and why would you put that much sugar in something you say is "smoked".

I'm looking to pickle about three dozen at a time I guess, I don't know if there is any weird scaling in the recipes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

katkillad2 posted:

Is there a tried and true recipe for pickling eggs? I want to make eggs a larger part of my diet, I've tried three different store brands and threw them all away due to their disgusting flavor. The worst was one claiming to be a "smoked pickled egg", which sounds amazing except for the fact that they tasted like candy because there was so much sugar in them... I didn't even think about looking at the sugar content because I've literally never had a sweet pickled egg to begin with and why would you put that much sugar in something you say is "smoked".

I'm looking to pickle about three dozen at a time I guess, I don't know if there is any weird scaling in the recipes.

This will make a quart out of 12 eggs, so just make more batches at once if you want more. Lactic pickling is different; this is just vinegar pickling, and only takes a day or so before they're tasty. The longer they sit the better they get, though, so make a bunch and store for later. The flavor profile of this one is super basic but tasty - use whatever spices and herbs make you happy.

Despite the sugar in the recipe, these eggs are not sweet - the sugar just rounds out the sharpness of the vinegar.

2 cups vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon salt
2 onions, sliced thin
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
5-10 cloves

Boil everything except eggs and onions, mix well, simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool, then layer onions and eggs in a quart jar. Cover with brine. Refrigerate for 24 hours or longer.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Can anyone suggest good red and white wines for cooking? I tend to stray more towards super dry, as sweet gravy is awful. Carlo Rossi has been my go to but there's gotta be something better than that.

Things I know to stay away from:
- anything yellowtail

Bully Hill (a local thing) used to have a great, puckery red called (Bully Hill) Meat Market Red which I haven't been able to find recently. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, what comes close as far as super dry reds?

More specifically, I have lots of bacon and beef fat to make things with.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 30, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I just buy 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's for cooking

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

defectivemonkey posted:

Oh poo poo, that's genius. That even has the benefit of not taking up a ton of space.

Re: tortillas please take me through the freezing process (although that seems maybe silly for a food that takes no time to make in the first place).

I haven't frozen, just great leftover

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was going to try a recipe from America's Test Kitchen for Spicy Buffalo Wings and it's stated that I need a Dutch Oven and Cayenne Pepper. I don't have a Dutch Oven but I do have a fryer that my Mother-in-Law uses mainly and I'm wondering if this is an okay substitute. I ask because the recipe tells me to heat the oil in the Dutch Oven over high heat until 375 degrees and having no experience with the fryer, I'm worried about the result. In addition, I wasn't able to get the Cayenne Pepper for this recipe but do have Paprika and was wondering if I can substitute Paprika for the Cayenne Pepper.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Was going to try a recipe from America's Test Kitchen for Spicy Buffalo Wings and it's stated that I need a Dutch Oven and Cayenne Pepper. I don't have a Dutch Oven but I do have a fryer that my Mother-in-Law uses mainly and I'm wondering if this is an okay substitute. I ask because the recipe tells me to heat the oil in the Dutch Oven over high heat until 375 degrees and having no experience with the fryer, I'm worried about the result.
A dedicated fryer would be just fine. Just set the temp and go.

quote:

In addition, I wasn't able to get the Cayenne Pepper for this recipe but do have Paprika and was wondering if I can substitute Paprika for the Cayenne Pepper.
Not really. Do you have any chilli powder? That would be a better substitute.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

spankmeister posted:

Not really. Do you have any chilli powder? That would be a better substitute.

I do have some Korean Chili Pepper Flakes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Missing Name posted:

Can anyone suggest good red and white wines for cooking? I tend to stray more towards super dry, as sweet gravy is awful. Carlo Rossi has been my go to but there's gotta be something better than that.

Things I know to stay away from:
- anything yellowtail

Bully Hill (a local thing) used to have a great, puckery red called (Bully Hill) Meat Market Red which I haven't been able to find recently. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, what comes close as far as super dry reds?

More specifically, I have lots of bacon and beef fat to make things with.

The only things to look out for are oakiness and tannins. Since the wine becomes concentrated, those larger, more bombastic flavor elements will take over your dish - and while that's sometimes desired, it's not usually. Other than that, whatever's fine. I also usually just buy Charles Shaw for cooking.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TV Zombie posted:

I do have some Korean Chili Pepper Flakes.

Chicken wings are pretty easy. Fry the chicken for however long it says, take the chicken out and pat dry, then toss the wings in a bowl that contains: half Frank's Red Hot sauce, half melted butter, and a dash of worcestershire and some fresh garlic if you want to add those.

Fry chicken, Frank's + Butter.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What can I do to make my pancakes fluffier?

Recipe as follows:

1.5c flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
3 Tbsn sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3T butter
I capful vanilla

Is my baking powder dead? I've baked with it and it seems fine. Just the pancakes come out flat. Taste good, but I'd like em bigger

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 1, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Recipe as follows:

1.5c flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
3 Tbsn sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3T butter
I capful vanilla

Is my baking powder dead? I've baked with it and it seems fine. Just the pancakes come out flat. Taste good, but I'd like em bigger

Without modifying the ingredients one thing I can think of is separating the eggs, whipping the whites to soft peaks and then folding them into everything else.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Without modifying the ingredients one thing I can think of is separating the eggs, whipping the whites to soft peaks and then folding them into everything else.

That's good advice.

How old is the baking powder? I write the date on mine when I open it and throw it away after 6 months. If it's only mostly dead, you can always just add more.

Also that recipe strikes me as pretty eggy for pancakes. I'd try cutting back an egg.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I have a bunch of sardines I want to use up and I'm thinking of some kind of tapenade or similar spread. I've got black, manzanilla, kalamata, and castelvetrano olives on hand, some capers, and havarti for grating. How would you guys attack this?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's good advice.

How old is the baking powder? I write the date on mine when I open it and throw it away after 6 months. If it's only mostly dead, you can always just add more.

Also that recipe strikes me as pretty eggy for pancakes. I'd try cutting back an egg.

Yeah, I thought it was sort of eggy but they said they liked the flavor so I didn't want to mess with it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Recipe as follows:

1.5c flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
3 Tbsn sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3T butter
I capful vanilla

I've never made this recipe, always done the alternative with regular milk or almond milk, but better homes and gardens has a solid-looking basic recipe that uses baking soda and buttermilk to fluff up the pancakes.