Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Supremezero posted:

Obviously you don't, since there's only 5 permanent party members.

You do get 5 party members to choose from at the end of the game, though.

Keifer comes back in the postgame for the remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Truspeaker posted:

So I wasn't getting any hearts at all from anything but slimes in the tablets. Literally hundreds of battles, no hearts. I saved, then fully closed the game and reopened it and now Ive gotten 4 birdy hearts in 15 battles. Like, maybe its confirmation bias, but I haven't played anything else on my 3ds since I got to alltrades at least, and saving and quitting is literally the only thing I did to change things, and now monsters drop hearts again. I would love to know if someone else having that problem can fix it that way too.

I am very excited that its fixed for me but so, so put off that I wasted so much time.

It makes sense that would work because it probably re-seeded the RNG

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

This still seems kind of eh besides getting to drag him around to hear his party chats (which aren't even that much, because it's 7) and dragging him back to his sister, since, you know, 0 MP and all.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Zore posted:

im there, how do i make this happen?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

insanityv2 posted:

im there, how do i make this happen?

I assume the DLC tablet Memories of an Old Friend

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Finally finished Nottagen, really, for real this time, and I've unlocked monster meadows on the map. I can't find most of my monsters, though, there's only a few in the forest enclosure and I can't seem to interact with them in a meaningful way. I made a tablet and gave the manager guy the blueprints from Highendreigh but he just keeps repeating that he can't wait to see what they make.

How do I get it built, what all can I do with my monsters, and why are they all level 1?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I beat the game.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize that you just fly up to the roof of the final dungeon and enter from there. Ugh...

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Cicadas! posted:

Finally finished Nottagen, really, for real this time, and I've unlocked monster meadows on the map. I can't find most of my monsters, though, there's only a few in the forest enclosure and I can't seem to interact with them in a meaningful way. I made a tablet and gave the manager guy the blueprints from Highendreigh but he just keeps repeating that he can't wait to see what they make.

How do I get it built, what all can I do with my monsters, and why are they all level 1?

He has built one enclosure from your blueprint, but you can find others so he just keeps repeating the "I can't wait to see what blah blah"-thing. You must talk to the other guy standing in the old guy's cottage by the table to get monsters you've tamed sent to the fields.

As far as I know, you can't do anything except hunt for tablets with your monsters (talk to the old guy in the cabin). You pick 3 monsters, and you'll encounter mainly those monsters in the dungeon they find for you (the main monster will be the boss). The only way to level monsters up seems to be to share their tablets to other players.

Enclosures let you pick some monsters to put indoors, allowing you to have more than one of the same monster, so you can for example make a dungeon that has only metal slimes or something.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
So do all the enemies featured in the tablet dungeons have monster hearts they can drop, or is it only a few like slimes and walking corpses? Was just wondering if I could be this cool-rear end pumpkin enemy or if I'm wasting my time grinding them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Big Book of Beasts tells you if a monster drops its heart.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah, and there are very few monsters who actually do.

Like 30ish out of the 300+ monsters in the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So wait, are monster hearts consumable items? Cause I don't see the Healslime Heart in my inventory after switching Ruff back...

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Dr Pepper posted:

Ohh, okay. I forgot I even had that dang book.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Detective No. 27 posted:

So wait, are monster hearts consumable items? Cause I don't see the Healslime Heart in my inventory after switching Ruff back...

Yep, they get consumed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yes, they permanently open that class for the person who changes into it though. So you only ever need 5 total and can safely sell off any you get over that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Looking forward to getting another Healslime then. Multiheal on Ruff is nice, but he's only got 39mp now that I switched him over to Shepherd.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Any good trip reports on Builders? I am still not super clear what's up with that game.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I was completely unimpressed by the trailer, but maybe it's more fun if you're playing it? Can anybody who's played the demo weigh in?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I enjoyed the demo a lot. It certainly cribs a lot of influence from MC, but there's a story and "missions" you're doing to progress the story. In short, you're building a city and have to build rooms with specific features in order to "level up" your base and advance the story.

The other noticeable thing is that the world (at least in the demo area) is not randomly generated. There's neat stuff like caves and towers that have very specific placements and bridges that are out. The coolest moment from the demo was trying to climb a tower of earth to get a chest, and realized I had to build my way up to get it.

There's also lots of little story stuff scattered around to do with the alt-timeline DQ I stuff.

I dig it a lot, but if you're on the fence, try out the demo.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Can anybody translate the old monster names to the new ones so I can freaking know what the monster class tree is without a ton of guess work.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Cicadas! posted:

I was completely unimpressed by the trailer, but maybe it's more fun if you're playing it? Can anybody who's played the demo weigh in?

I had a lot of fun with the demo. Reminds me of the city building in Dark Cloud.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

I enjoyed the demo a lot. It certainly cribs a lot of influence from MC, but there's a story and "missions" you're doing to progress the story. In short, you're building a city and have to build rooms with specific features in order to "level up" your base and advance the story.

The other noticeable thing is that the world (at least in the demo area) is not randomly generated. There's neat stuff like caves and towers that have very specific placements and bridges that are out. The coolest moment from the demo was trying to climb a tower of earth to get a chest, and realized I had to build my way up to get it.

There's also lots of little story stuff scattered around to do with the alt-timeline DQ I stuff.

I dig it a lot, but if you're on the fence, try out the demo.

That does sound pretty slick.

I am fine with MC elements but I don't want a MC clone. I am hoping it is very goal driven instead of being a bit too sandboxey. If that makes any sense. :)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Professor of Cats posted:

I am fine with MC elements but I don't want a MC clone. I am hoping it is very goal driven instead of being a bit too sandboxey. If that makes any sense. :)

It is very goal-driven and story oriented, from my time with the demo. Sure, you could make it a sandbox if you wanted to ("I'm going to build a weird structure RIGHT HERE"), but you've always got some quest or mission passed to you by a villager. The demo ends with you getting a portal to another land, so I can't speak to the randomization there, but everything seems to be guided.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Dr Pepper posted:

Can anybody translate the old monster names to the new ones so I can freaking know what the monster class tree is without a ton of guess work.

Someone linked this earlier: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PrRqTCV_IoUZjq_J3b3LWYrZb25w4K8Y8BvfqpwBU/edit#gid=0

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

They changed the tree anyway I think.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Tempura Wizard posted:

It is very goal-driven and story oriented, from my time with the demo. Sure, you could make it a sandbox if you wanted to ("I'm going to build a weird structure RIGHT HERE"), but you've always got some quest or mission passed to you by a villager. The demo ends with you getting a portal to another land, so I can't speak to the randomization there, but everything seems to be guided.

Rad. Thanks for the details!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thank you this helps a ton.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Once I have all the english names finalized I'll probably add a tab for the monster tree. And maybe just fill it out with human vocations as well, just for completeness's sake.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Professor of Cats posted:

The demo is pretty slick, it seems fun and pretty charming.

From what I understand, there is a story mode, that's broken up into different chapters that all have a different setting, and have goals and some guidance, and then the game has a separate sandbox mode if you just want to build weird things.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Really enjoying the DQ Builders demo. I was doing all the quests, but now the guy just keeps telling me to keep building and level up the town. Did I do all the quests? I built a few more rooms, but can't tell if I'm getting anywhere. Do they want me to do something specific or just keep building things until I level up?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

They changed the tree anyway I think.

Wait really. I've been grinding a lot of hearts and classes to work my way up to PlatKing based on those old trees...

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Unmature posted:

Really enjoying the DQ Builders demo. I was doing all the quests, but now the guy just keeps telling me to keep building and level up the town. Did I do all the quests? I built a few more rooms, but can't tell if I'm getting anywhere. Do they want me to do something specific or just keep building things until I level up?

I found a crate that gave a room like 100 points and then just placed pots until I hit level 2, and that's when I got the next quest. You'll know when the quests end because you'll get a WELP, THAT"S ALL FOLKS text.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
No Kiefer does not come back as a party member in post-game unless that was somehow changed for just the localisation. That rumor started due to some added Kiefer content and importers deciding to troll with it using a video of a japanese player who leveled him to 99 with streetpass tablets before he left and then playing what they called "a new hidden dungeon" with him when it really was just yet another streetpass tablet.

So you'll see more of him later than you would have in the original, but not as an active party member.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm fairly sure that there were no changes to the monster tree, as I've been able to use it one-for-one without any difficulty.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What was the point with that weird backtracking segment at the end of the last blue island.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Alxprit posted:

I'm fairly sure that there were no changes to the monster tree, as I've been able to use it one-for-one without any difficulty.

Yeah the tree hasn't changed but skills in the monster classes have.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Did some looking into things, and it turns out tablet dungeons increase the drop rate of monster hearts to a whopping 1 in 8 chance (which is how high drop rates can go without being guaranteed) No idea what they are outside of them, other than being astronomically low. So yeah, go through tablet dungeons to get your hearts.

Also, you didn't have the tablet radar in the original version of the game? :catstare:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Nooooope.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, you didn't have the tablet radar in the original version of the game? :catstare:

It's been a quite a few years, but if I'm remembering correctly, we didn't have the tablet hints either. You just had to find them. Or go on gamefaqs. :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Another great thing about hearts dropping much more frequently in tablets is it gives you a great source of income. Slime hearts sell for only 200 g but when you're bringing back like 30 a trip it adds up fast.

Not that it's gonna change how I play cause job grinding is so addictive but how necessary/helpful is mastering as many jobs as possible for the postgame dungeon?