Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Also in 1153 there's pretty obvious hints that takamura is hosed up too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is this manga going to end with Takamura coaching Ippo against world rankers? I'm assuming so.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That would require takamura giving up on his conquest most likely as their ages overlap enough that ippo probably won't be a world ranker by the time takamura retires, if you assume that due to his damage and less comparative ability ippo doesn't have too many years left of fighting (he's 25 to takamuras 29, taka needs maybe 3-4 more years to conquer all the classes and I doubt they can put the Martinez fight off that long)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Takamura is going to break before Ippo, is kinda where I'm thinking it's going. He's going to be the one to fuel Ippo's monstrous fire on the world stage.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

so after 1000 chapters the author finally acknowledges that Ippo's fighting style is loving dumb.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
they are both judged too damaged to ever fight again and are forced to quit boxing forever.

ippo's physical state continues deteriorating even in the absence of further boxing damage, rendering him unable to take over makonouchi fishing. his mother is forced to care for him for the rest of his life.

takamura, no longer having a focus in his life and without any other marketable job skills, while also lacking the temperament necessary to become a full time boxing coach, reverts back to a life of hooliganism and petty crime. he is homeless within two years and in jail within five. still full of pride, he rejects the help of his wealthy family

with the only two talented boxers that have ever passed into his care utterly destroyed by his archaic training methods, kamogawa takes responsibility by blowing his brains out in the basement of his failed boxing gym

the end

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Law Cheetah posted:

they are both judged too damaged to ever fight again and are forced to quit boxing forever.

ippo's physical state continues deteriorating even in the absence of further boxing damage, rendering him unable to take over makonouchi fishing. his mother is forced to care for him for the rest of his life.

takamura, no longer having a focus in his life and without any other marketable job skills, while also lacking the temperament necessary to become a full time boxing coach, reverts back to a life of hooliganism and petty crime. he is homeless within two years and in jail within five. still full of pride, he rejects the help of his wealthy family

with the only two talented boxers that have ever passed into his care utterly destroyed by his archaic training methods, kamogawa takes responsibility by blowing his brains out in the basement of his failed boxing gym

the end

Please, that is highly unrealistic.

Where's Kamogawa get a gun? He's in Japan, not the good ol' US of A. He probably hangs himself.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Naw, his SAMURAI SPIRIT demands seppuku.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

In his early fights ippo doesn't even get beat up that badly . Nothing more than superficial stuff anyway. It's only the later era where every fight has him concussed four times over before winning

Like all the way up to sendo 1, he doesn't get beat in the head so bad. Even the Mashiba fight was mostly his fist. Then volg, date, and sendo 2 which okay all of those were pretty close in succession.

Then his early champion era ippo does pretty well, like he has hard fights vs shinabakuro and the doctor guy but he's not knocked unconscious during those, and he dominates some of the other fights like hammer nao and that underdog fight.

Only when they get to the late defenses does he start taking beatings like every single fight it seems. Starting from sawamura then Jimmy , gedo and woli all have him fighting on the verge of consciousness and then there's that fight with the ultra Dempsey counter where he passes out after the fight.

The earlier bad damage is mostly attributable to being super outclassed (date and vorg are both a league ahead in ability) or fighting someone with ludicrous tenacity (sendo twice). Sawamura was of course the worst matchup

It does also coincide sort of with a difference in the way the fights actually play out. Ippo early on was all about strong defense while brushing off jabs and light straights to attack with concise combos. Later on he starts breaking in and going for pretty huge swings off the bat. There are times he flirts with going back to his older way of fighting but it doesn't seem to work cuz he's stiff as gently caress on his feet and against better opponents needs to make the most of each attack

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm hoping the takeaway from this isn't just "I don't have much time left" but rather "maybe I should do something to not get punched in the head so much".

Otherwise it's not really much of a development.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

tbp posted:

thats a legitimate thing in real boxing and in a ton of real sports, the real villain of HnI is the wildly incompetant referee who almost never calls penalties unless they're literal elbows and will never DQ a fighter despite them being near comatose

lmao I laughed loudly, remembering the many times this has happened over the series

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The next reveal is that Umezawa gave up on manga and graduated law school.

He's going around scooping up all the people that Ippo beat and finds Ippo out of shape sitting on his dads fishing boat. Umezawa needs Ippo to be the face of a class action suit against the Japanese boxing federation claiming damages to so many athletes who the refs let be beaten senseless into the ring due to "burning japanese spirit".

Thus the courtroom arc begins.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Corner advice from Kamogawa: "Let him hit you in the head repeatedly, lull him in to a false sense of security!"

Except this is never said, only thought. Kamogawa stares blankly at Ippo, then smacks him in the back. "Go get him, brat!"

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Kamogawa and whatshisname, you know, the B tier coach are testaments to how good the gyms boxers are despite their coaching.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's gonna make ippo headbutt a log into the ground to train his face against punches

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CharlestonJew posted:

He's gonna make ippo headbutt a log into the ground to train his face against punches

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can one of you goons that are more familiar with Japanese culture explain what the hell is up with all the quasi-cannibal boxers? I'm up to the second dude who is obsessed with eating Ippo's rear end out or whatever; straight up drinking blood from a jagged edge, like a damned Hendrix song.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Can one of you goons that are more familiar with Japanese culture explain what the hell is up with all the quasi-cannibal boxers? I'm up to the second dude who is obsessed with eating Ippo's rear end out or whatever; straight up drinking blood from a jagged edge, like a damned Hendrix song.

I need to reread this manga, I don't remember this stuff. Are you sure it isn't just regular psych-outs/trash talk?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sawamura or whoever was all into eating meat and most of the imagery of his fights was him jonesing for a bloody steak etc.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
The villains, much like I, yearn for Ippo's tender meat

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

He's a giant, ridiculous caricature in a shonen manga.

Like, it's not like he's some monkey boy out of a tropical island who loves bananas and fights by jumping around.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I kinda wish they'd bring back that one black guy that Ippo fought back. I fondly remember learning how black people have extra muscles.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

I kinda wish they'd bring back that one black guy that Ippo fought back. I fondly remember learning how black people have extra muscles.

You can read EyeShield 21 if you miss that.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Vengarr posted:

Watch UFC, Joe Rogan never fails to tell you how 'explosive' a black fighter is.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

ippo killed him

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

You can read EyeShield 21 if you miss that.

They were making fun of that though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope that after Ippo wins the world title his first defense is against Woli, who destroys him in one round.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

I hope that after Ippo wins the world title his first defense is against Woli, who destroys him in one round.
Woli gives me the impression that he'll be pulled out to fight against one of the other cast members, or he'll get completely loving destroyed by some opponent to prove how tough they are in prep to fight Ippo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I started re-reading from the beginning and man were the fights so much better. Ippo actually changed as a boxer based on his opponents.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mangastream has a new chapter up.

Basically Kamogawa goes to see Gen to talk about what it was like to be punch drunk to see if there's something he's missing in figuring out if Ippo is punch drunk. Gen basically describes his symptoms, and how lonely he felt because he tried so hard to hide them.

...then he tells Kamogawa not to forcibly retire Ippo because it's not 100% certain, after Kamogawa decides it's not worth the risk. Huh.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 16, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Stairmaster posted:

I started re-reading from the beginning and man were the fights so much better. Ippo actually changed as a boxer based on his opponents.

Ippo in it's early start was goddamn great.

Goddamn do I love watching the old anime too. They made the dempsey roll look bad rear end (well more so in the movie)

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Shindragon posted:

Ippo in it's early start was goddamn great.

Goddamn do I love watching the old anime too. They made the dempsey roll look bad rear end (well more so in the movie)

*jet engine noises*

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Frabba posted:

*jet engine noises*

They brought this back for Boku no Hero Academia. Still owns.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I think people who gave up on this manga would really enjoy the last couple of chapters.

Either that or they'd wisely go 'oooh no, I'm not taking that bait again'.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shindragon posted:

The old Ippo anime used to get me pumped before going to the gym back in college.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ytlaya posted:

The old Ippo anime used to get me pumped before going to the gym back in college.

Same. Watching ippo training like mad on some specific thing then actually using it in the fight was the coolest poo poo to me. Now his special training is "destroy your body little by little to have a minor chance at beating this guy"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Same. Watching ippo training like mad on some specific thing then actually using it in the fight was the coolest poo poo to me. Now his special training is "destroy your body little by little to have a minor chance at beating this guy"

tbf i think this theme is done and dusted, seemed to be the major part of the pacific champions arc which was just uninspired as a whole. vs alfredo he tried a lot of the stuff he learned, it just wasn't too effective for the vast majority of the fight.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

1158 raws are up btw. i can't read them that well cuz the translations rough but it seems like ippo and kumi are on a date at the bowling alley, ippo's doing pretty decently score wise (he sucked last time if u recall, only picked it up towards the end but then gutter balled at the very last shot)

the gymmates come by and takamura keeps an eye on ippos performances, i think he gets stressed when he realizes about half of ippos shots are gutter balls while half are decent straight shots? hinting to him that he's falling in and out of PDS. but then he realizes ippos been taking half his shots with his left and purposefully throwing the ball slowly in order to train for the new dempsey, while wearing ankle weights as well.

i really really think this whole arc is a misdirect, everything in the next few chapters hints so strongly that its takamura who is broken. it'll be one of the first times i'm actually sad about a manga if thats the case, there's something about takamura that makes for such an inspiring character, really want to see him fulfill his goal but so many factors point to the fact that he wont

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Takamura ends up being anything other than undefeated multi-belt champ this whole thing is a farce and I'm done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

That Works posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Takamura ends up being anything other than undefeated multi-belt champ this whole thing is a farce and I'm done with it.

Morikawa is a big Ashita no Joe fan so the whole ring damage angle will certainly come. Question remains who it is. It could be Takamura or Ippo or even Sendo when he dies against Martinez. Unless of course they treat it all as a fake out and will just point towards Shigeta (guy Sendo mutilated) as the resident broken boxer besides Nekota.