Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Serious question about Tier VIII ships - between the Premium ships currently available and Mogami, are there any that stand out as stronger or weaker in ranked's meta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gneisenau on my team just shot down 28 Hiryu planes, which was 3 more than our fighter Ranger managed, and 20 more than my Yorck did sitting right under the flight path of about 4 alpha strikes in sequence.

Cobbsprite posted:

Serious question about Tier VIII ships - between the Premium ships currently available and Mogami, are there any that stand out as stronger or weaker in ranked's meta?

Probably better off just saving your money and using a 155mm Mogami

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 28, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Tirpitz is good and fun, but the matchmaking changes mean it'll be uptiered a bit more and it has to fight Bismarks now.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

More to the point, regarding German BBs having stupid good AA, is that it's incredibly dumb from a mechanical perspective. The class has no effective weaknesses: Extremely good armor and nigh unhittable citadels, incredibly good AA to seriously damage any incoming CV strikes, and Hydroacoustic which heavily protects against their supposed "weakness" - torpedoes. Also, Friedrich and Kurfurst fire faster than Montana with the 16" gun choice for no apparent reason other than "gently caress you."

Battleship AA in general, with the somewhat exception of IJN ones, is too high anyways. As-is, most high tier CV players would rather go after cruisers, the class you may recall WG continues to claim is the one that counters CVs, rather than non-IJN battleships because DF can be worked around and they've given the battleships such heavy AA batteries that with current plane mechanics equivalent tier USN and German battleships are both quite likely to mostly wreck an incoming strike before they even get to their drop point. Even further making cruisers irrelevant.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 28, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

If your historical reasoning is "Swordfishes Bismarck lol" that's not much to base all German AAA off of. German AAA should be average. USN AAA above average and IJN below average.

My historical reasoning is that the Germans didn't shoot down loving ANYTHING. Please no Bismarck fanboism.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Probably better off just saving your money and using a 155mm Mogami

Disagree in the strongest possible terms. Atago is much much better than Mogami or any other T8 cruiser bar possibly the Kutosov but I think well played Bismarcks will be the Kutosov's downfall in ranked.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
As someone who likes cruisers, it feels like there are too many battleships in game anymore.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Disagree in the strongest possible terms. Atago is much much better than Mogami or any other T8 cruiser bar possibly the Kutosov but I think well played Bismarcks will be the Kutosov's downfall in ranked.

Didn't realise the Atago was still on sale, thought they'd yanked it months ago

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
While the 155mm Mogami still has the potential to do great amounts of damage to anything it encounters I would guess it wouldn't do so well in ranked since you have to rely on concealment and shooting at distracted ships. If it's your only T8 still better than nothing of course. Atago is by far the best T8 cruiser and if you want to part with the money you wouldn't regret it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

Absolutely loving insane. I have no idea whatsoever where this concept of German BBs having the best AA comes from. Now the Gneisenau's AA is better than both Tirpitz and Bismarck? To say nothing of absolutely blowing away the Colorado and Nagato. When I was playing through the Gneisenau I didn't even fear T8 CVs, which is a ridiculous state of affairs.

In general terms, who decides this sort of thing? I can get behind the USN BBs in particular having great AA, and to a lesser extent IJN (although their BB's AA is almost exactly what it should be IMO) because their ships spent many years during the war actually shooting down planes. Did any German BB, ever, actually shoot down a single plane? From what I can see the German BBs have the best AA at T5, T6, T7 and possibly T9 (I believe the FdeG is close to Iowa), on absolutely no historical basis whatsoever.

I am all for national flavour, lets at least leave the AA to the USN and maybe emphasise secondaries on the Germans. And give the IJN speed and superior main guns (which they do have in most cases tier on tier IMO). I'm hoping the economy re-balances are a stealth buff to high tier USN BBs by encouraging more CVs.

In real life the British High Angle Control system and radars were probably the best integrated ship AAA systems of the war. Fun fact, Prince of Wales had this system, but left port in Singapore with broken HAC radars because Phillips decided he didn't need them (or continuous RAF air cover.)

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

CitizenKain posted:

As someone who likes cruisers, it feels like there are too many battleships in game anymore.

Which is what I was talking about and what the WOWS forums endlessly talk about. The BB and DD meta. It's hard to survive as a cruiser with all the BB's, so only a few people play them, which encourages more DD's since without CA's, their main threat is other DD's and German BB secondaries. It also encourages more BB's because if you can't survive in a CA, might as well play as a BB to do damage and take a hit or mitigate damage.

DD's are a lot of fun for their game play style and the impact on the on outcome of the battle. They can win the battle if they have support or go lone wolf depending on what is going on.

BB's are very survivable and has a Skinner box reward system with the big damage numbers of the RNG system which makes them fun.

CA's just die, require a lot of skill and get punished for aggressive play. They are the priority target for BB because of how easy it is to kill them and many BB's get annoyed if CA's set them on fire. Better to kill that CA in one hit first than go after that German BB that is hard to citadel.

CV's are almost never in game too, but they have a bunch of reasons that contributes to that, including game play, the UI, balance, and a very hostile community towards CV players especially form other CV players.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Patch drops tomorrow right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ZombieLenin posted:

In real life the British High Angle Control system and radars were probably the best integrated ship AAA systems of the war. Fun fact, Prince of Wales had this system, but left port in Singapore with broken HAC radars because Phillips decided he didn't need them (or continuous RAF air cover.)

What would have made it better than the US systems on it's own? The real distinguishing feature I see is the Pom-Pom Director Mark 4, and that's more from a time of introduction point of view than anything else, and as far as overall AAA system goes, later US systems with actual stabilization from deck tilt are better, especially when their system has the higher velocity Bofors, and it's certainly not a big enough disparity to warrant a blanket statement of superiority. I'll also point out that the Mk 37 in full tachymetric form could be installed in destroyers and auxiliaries, while the UK used the non-tachymetric Fuze Keeping Clock on their destroyers.

It's largely irrelevant though just because those two were vastly beyond everyone else.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

kaesarsosei posted:

My historical reasoning is that the Germans didn't shoot down loving ANYTHING. Please no Bismarck fanboism.

To be fair to the Germans, after Bismark all of the German battleships had their AAA systems strengthened, no German battleship was sunk by aircraft while underway during the war, and the Tirpitz AA protection protected her from some pretty serious air attacks (at least until it didn't.)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Durendal posted:

Patch drops tomorrow right?
Already dropped on NA, ~900mb

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

ZombieLenin posted:

To be fair to the Germans, after Bismark all of the German battleships had their AAA systems strengthened, no German battleship was sunk by aircraft while underway during the war, and the Tirpitz AA protection protected her from some pretty serious air attacks (at least until it didn't.)

Considering how much effort the UK put into destroying the Tirpitz, no amount of AAA was going to save it or any ship.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I asked this before, but, minotaur when?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I asked this before, but, minotaur when?

Mid-October

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Maybe if I keep asking it will get here faster.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xthetenth posted:

It's largely irrelevant though just because those two were vastly beyond everyone else.

I really want them to implement beehive rounds for the big Japanese guns. Even if people never actually fire them because they're useless.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

On EU at least, I think after the weekend BB event and as time continues to pass from the German BB launch, the BB numbers are settling back down. I had almost 2 min queues in my BBs at any tier over the weekend but its back to under a minute now. I think the RN Cruiser launch should also help this but I reckon even before then it will be better balanced.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Is the Isokaze broken or like super op or am I just missing something with it. They seem to appear out of no where and then whack all the torps.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Phanatic posted:

I really want them to implement beehive rounds for the big Japanese guns. Even if people never actually fire them because they're useless.

It'd be cool even if it was just depicted in the same barrage from the AA consumable that cruisers use. Maybe even have that consumable swap out with one of the battleship items.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

I agree. Though I did have a match earlier with 2 BBs per team, 2 DDs, and the rest cruisers.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Is the Isokaze broken or like super op or am I just missing something with it. They seem to appear out of no where and then whack all the torps.

It has 6km detection and 7km torps with about a 40sec reload. So its one of the best stealth torping DDs in the game, at a tier where BB drivers haven't found WASD yet.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

kaesarsosei posted:

It has 6km detection and 7km torps with about a 40sec reload. So its one of the best stealth torping DDs in the game, at a tier where BB drivers haven't found WASD yet.

I"m guessing that the torp detection range is pretty low as well because holy poo poo are they a bitch to deal with.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Incidentally, is there a reason people are playing the Isokaze instead of the Minekaze in preparation for the new IJN destroyers, whenever they drop? Seems likely Minekaze will be kept in your harbor as-is when that happens.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Koth posted:

Incidentally, is there a reason people are playing the Isokaze instead of the Minekaze in preparation for the new IJN destroyers, whenever they drop? Seems likely Minekaze will be kept in your harbor as-is when that happens.

I'm guessing they want the free skip to the Mutsuki when it gets knocked down a tier?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
🔓🔍

xthetenth posted:

What would have made it better than the US systems on it's own? The real distinguishing feature I see is the Pom-Pom Director Mark 4, and that's more from a time of introduction point of view than anything else, and as far as overall AAA system goes, later US systems with actual stabilization from deck tilt are better, especially when their system has the higher velocity Bofors, and it's certainly not a big enough disparity to warrant a blanket statement of superiority. I'll also point out that the Mk 37 in full tachymetric form could be installed in destroyers and auxiliaries, while the UK used the non-tachymetric Fuze Keeping Clock on their destroyers.

I would like to point out that starting with HACS IV in late 1940, the HACS system was also stabilized; However, you're right, the answer to your question is nothing.

Mostly I am giving the HACS system the credit because it was the first to be deployed (1931) and its success in the early war, particularly during Operation Halberd, was highly visible.

That and the American late war ship borne AAA doesn't get the respect it deserves (guilty), even though it was remarkably successful against pilots determined to fly planes directly into ships. If I had to guess, I think this is probably because American AAA is overshadowed by the overwhelming air superiority/force projection that her carriers represented at that stage of the war.

*edit

Kilravock posted:

Considering how much effort the UK put into destroying the Tirpitz, no amount of AAA was going to save it or any ship.

Yes, but it the British a long time to Sink her. Hitler's blustering aside, Tirpitz was a tremendous strategic success.

As a single ship Fleet-in-Being she managed to do almost as much as the entire High Sea's Fleet did in the First World War in terms of tying up British naval and air resources from 1942 to almost the end of the war.

I mean, FFS, Churchill literally acted like a crazy man and obsessed over neutralizing Tirpitz.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, up to 6 loving losses in a row in the Minekaze, trying to get the daily done. Ending nearly every single one of them in the #1 spot.

Apparently all the mouthbreathing retards are still around from the bonus exp weekend, and apparently MM feels like sticking them on my team EVERY SINGLE loving GAME. Such wonderful highlights as a Langley that never even bothered to join the game in one, and every single BB on the team being utter retards in another - Colorado hid at max range, and the other 3 meandered onto the 9-10 lines on a horizontal spread Domination map (Shards, if you want to go see just how moronic that decision was).

edit: So tired of my w/r getting killed, because I somehow can't even get an average of one decent team every two matches, day after day after day. 33% today, just barely over 50% for the entire goddamn month.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 28, 2016

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

No Bismarck fanboism here. I'm just pointing out that German AA was average for the war. It's the IJN that should have awful AA. They could barely hit stationary targets.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Oh yeah I am not arguing the strategic success of the Tirpitz. Just look at all the resources, special weapons development, and operation the British spent chasing her around Norway. Plus the damage she did indirectly when Intel said she was put to sea causing the Russian bound convoys to be dispersed and become easy targets for the u-boats. Still those efforts kept failing and it was not due to her AAA. Of coarse the fjords she was in had heavy AAA to protect her.

Yeah American Air Superiority of the massive number Hellcats and Corsairs shooting down half trained pilots does overshadow the effectiveness of USN AAA. As much as the Kamikaze attacks were played up in propaganda, only a very few were able to get through the combined fighter CAP's and AAA.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kilravock posted:

Oh yeah I am not arguing the strategic success of the Tirpitz. Just look at all the resources, special weapons development, and operation the British spent chasing her around Norway. Plus the damage she did indirectly when Intel said she was put to sea causing the Russian bound convoys to be dispersed and become easy targets for the u-boats.

Well, someone just looked up Tirpitz on Wikipedia.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
Nope, I knew about these useless trivial facts as a kid from years ago. I was I really into naval and air warfare like any geeky history buff. All before Wikipedia, but I don't remember enough detailed information like ZombieLenin is giving.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Cobbsprite posted:

Well, someone just looked up Tirpitz on Wikipedia.

Even if that's true, in this case, Wikipedia isn't lying.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
People are playing the Isokaze because it only sees T5 max, which is sealclubbing nirvana. Its not as quick as the Minekaze, but the Minekaze can see up to T7 and only down to T4, so it faces people who actually know how to not drive in straight lines.

Also, counter to the Isokaze. Don't drive in a goddamn straight line. Also avoid coming around islands blind unless you're looking for a fight (this is for every ship, tbh), and be a bit more map aware. Isokaze was spotted a minute ago 9km away from your BB? You can bet your sorry rear end you have torps inbound soon, get yourself on a new course. This becomes more important as you hit T6, since the Mutsuki packs 10km torps, Fubuki has 15km, and the US DDs start getting torps that can hit out to 9.2km.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to not go blind around islands, I'm bad about that.

I'm also bad at the Isokaze, I need more practice to get good at DDs. Is that one where you really want Concealment Expert? I'm having a hard time getting within 7km, dumping torpedoes, and getting out before they get within 6.1km and spot me.

Is the Kaiser good enough to hold on to for running low tiers in divisions?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Huge cowards are so mad about the economy changes :allears:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

They all deserve it for sitting at maximum range with the best armour, HP, and guns, and letting their CAs and DDs die without hitting a single target instead of supporting a push.

Had a nice fellow on the NA server today who wasn't incompetent at all talk about how since DDs hard counter BBs, he wasn't going to move up until all of them were dead and promised that he would carry the team to victory after that happened. True to form, he spent the entire match two grids from the border until we were at 950 points.

Asia server players are bad, but not this bad. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Huge cowards are so mad about the economy changes :allears:

I was slightly bummed for a moment when I had a stealth-torping Gearing game where I did 75k damage and took a little over 1k damage all game but ended up with the flat repair fee. But then I remembered that it's totally worth it for paying less on games where I get detonated halfway through.

Lord Koth posted:

Well, up to 6 loving losses in a row in the Minekaze, trying to get the daily done. Ending nearly every single one of them in the #1 spot.

Apparently all the mouthbreathing retards are still around from the bonus exp weekend, and apparently MM feels like sticking them on my team EVERY SINGLE loving GAME. Such wonderful highlights as a Langley that never even bothered to join the game in one, and every single BB on the team being utter retards in another - Colorado hid at max range, and the other 3 meandered onto the 9-10 lines on a horizontal spread Domination map (Shards, if you want to go see just how moronic that decision was).

edit: So tired of my w/r getting killed, because I somehow can't even get an average of one decent team every two matches, day after day after day. 33% today, just barely over 50% for the entire goddamn month.

I had a Tashkent game where I was hiding in my smoke with 166 health and a damaged engine. A "friendly" Hindenberg rammed me out of my smoke and told me to gently caress off when I complained. I torped him for his last bit of health and I have zero regrets (we won anyway).