Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

zedprime posted:

Rome 2 confirmed, its the biggest overlap between Doomdark and Wiz that isn't a theoretical CK3.

You are making the incorrect assumption Doomdark is working on the one Wiz was slated for.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hey. Two really good games, mister.

Just because Witcher 3 came along and carried the bar for "really good" over the hill and out of sight doesn't mean 2 isn't still a great game. :colbert:

Uh, I just anecdotally proved that 2 was unplayable :colbert:

Gort posted:

I find Witcher and Paradox games to both be really good on the whole and wish their employees wouldn't fight. You can both be good, it's OK.

This feud is just too late, there was a Witcher party at the Polish Embassy in Stockholm last week. I didn't go since my burning hate hadn't been ignited at that point :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Victoria 3 would probably be better served by the HoI4 battle planner than HoI4 itself.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Victoria 3 would probably be better served by the HoI4 battle planner than HoI4 itself.

I've been playing a lot of vicky 2 lately. Where's my victoria 3 :colbert:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I played Witcher 3 on release, on a computer that i'm sure was under the official minimum requirements and still had no problems at all, except for Novigrad where my computer was asking to die and the framerate was garbage. Which makes me appreciate Skellige much more actually, because that was the smoothest of experiences. That's my 2 cents on this very minor issue.

Furthermore, i consider that CK3 should be made.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Considering PDox's latest track record I think a moratorium on new games for a while is necessitated

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phi230 posted:

Considering PDox's latest track record I think a moratorium on new games for a while is necessitated

Let's not be too harsh. I was fully expecting HoI4 to be a shitshow based on previews and how boring Stellaris turned out to be, but it turned out to be a pretty cool game at the end. It suffers from not being really difficult once you figure out the mechanics and the AI's quirks unless you're doing a challenge run, but that applies to pretty much every game in Paradox' ouvré and most strategy games.

A CK3 would be very much appreciated, if only to do a clean up of how bloated CK2 has become with tacked-on mechanics.

Vicky 3 would also be great, V2 is a wildly ambitious game and probably the most interesting one PDX has made, but suffers from having a lot of core systems that simply don't work very well. Giving it a level of evolution like we saw between Hearts of Iron 3 and 4 would be ideal, rather than the more careful EU3 to EU4 upgrade.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ZearothK posted:

Victoria 2 is barely functional, and I say that as someone who throughly enjoyed it.

Victoria is the worst piece of poo poo made since sliced bread. But boy do I love it. Well enough that I spend a Christmas patching it long time after it's dead.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 28, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Groogy posted:

Victoria is the worst piece of poo poo made since sliced bread. But boy do I love it. well enough that I spend a Christmas patching it long time after its dead.

And another Christmas where you add the ability to make Forts/Naval Bases/Railroads nationwide with one click? :shittydog:

Hell, I'd take allowing capitalists to build those (if such a thing is even possible). Anything to save my wrist, and it'd be hilarious to have rich British capitalists spamming fertilizer factories the world over.

vv I knew about capitalists investing in (your own) nation's network. Scripting it in the rest sounds interesting, how would one go about doing that?

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 28, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Well capitalists can already do that..... Well railroads at least from when Ive played, but you can potentially script it so capitalists can invest the rest.

Sometimes when I see people talk about Victoria I think "do you even Vicky you scrub?"
Don't mind me, not directed against you, I just have too many hours in EU and Vicky for it to be healthy.

(Still not near the person that has 14k hours in CK2 alone.)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are you drunk enough to spill the beans on Vicky 3?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I want to hear more about the guy with 14k hours in CK2; he'd fit right in on the forums!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I just want to say it isn't a guy that is holding the highest amount of hours in CK2....
And no I won't spill beans, that would be a waste of beans, beans are delicious. I love bean salad. Especially kidney beans.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
So Rome 2? Okay thanks for those beans

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
March of the Eagles 2

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Kidney beans were domesticated in Mesoamerica, so obviously it's a game about the Flower Wars

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Joking aside I would love more stuff with the Mesoamericans.

Aztec Total War, imagine Spain laying siege to the magnificent city of Tenochtitlan and your legions are desperately trying to protect the last remnants of your once great empire.
:allears:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 28, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Groogy posted:

Aztec Total War, imagine Spain laying siege to the magnificent city of Tenochtitlan and your legions are desperately trying to protect the last remnants of your once great empire.

You mean the americas campaign of Medieval 2? Ridiculously hard for the natives when you fight the spanish in that one, by the way.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I never got that because it came at a point where my interest of Total War was dying. Is it good? Is it just simply new factions unlocked with barely any content? Or did they actually put time and effort into it besides graphics.?

I guess what I mean as important is that it should feel like you are an empire of millions, which at the time was remarkable how well populated the region was.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 28, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
After binging a bunch on HoI4 again I feel like some of the systems in that game were designed as prototypes for a future Victoria sequel. I mean the peace conference system doesn't really do a whole lot in HoI4 since by the time it comes up, the game is basically over - what you actually do with the territory doesn't really matter. But it would make a ton of sense in a Vicky game since that really was the era of crazy post-war treaties arbitrarily dividing up land that would cause no problems in the future whatsoever.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

:allears:

The Caste War was cool, you should include it in Victoria 3

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
V3 is going to have to be the best game ever to overcome my sadness at not getting a good cold war game but I'm optimistic.

Also this time can we please not have really weird dumb ideologies just for symmetry's sake? :anarchists: not :ancap: please

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

V3 is going to have to be the best game ever to overcome my sadness at not getting a good cold war game but I'm optimistic.

Also this time can we please not have really weird dumb ideologies just for symmetry's sake? :anarchists: not :ancap: please

It should just be on a left/right axis with a HoI4 style country law idea controlling the formal country name/head of state IMO (eg abolishing and restoring monarchies is done like changing a recruitment law in HoI4)

Maybe 5 ideologies (Far Left / Centre-Left / Centrist / Centre-Right / Far Right) with the game engine giving the ability to set up coalitions between the ideologies for elections and rebellions. Names of ideologies within a country are defined by history files.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

Me and Groogy were just talking about the need for a Hipster ideology if we ever do Victoria 3. Who else is going to buy clipper convoys in the 20th century?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Enjoy posted:

It should just be on a left/right axis with a HoI4 style country law idea controlling the formal country name/head of state IMO (eg abolishing and restoring monarchies is done like changing a recruitment law in HoI4)

Maybe 5 ideologies (Far Left / Centre-Left / Centrist / Centre-Right / Far Right) with the game engine giving the ability to set up coalitions between the ideologies for elections and rebellions. Names of ideologies within a country are defined by history files.

Ah yes, a 5 ideology system would work perfectly. How about :

Far Left (Populist), Centre-Left (Civic), Centrist (Mercantile), Centre-Right (Religious), Far-Right (Militarist)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wiz posted:

Me and Groogy were just talking about the need for a Hipster ideology if we ever do Victoria 3. Who else is going to buy clipper convoys in the 20th century?

You know the speed of traveling can be so much more appreciated when you can actually see the cotton sails catch wind. It isn't the same with the mechanical speed like true analog speed.

:grin:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

Amish peoples. :downsrim:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

V3 is going to have to be the best game ever to overcome my sadness

same.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wiz posted:

Great Britain :colbert:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gotta supply that yacht club somehow

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Takanago posted:

Ah yes, a 5 ideology system would work perfectly. How about :

Far Left (Populist), Centre-Left (Civic), Centrist (Mercantile), Centre-Right (Religious), Far-Right (Militarist)

Fascism is militaristic and populist though. The left / right thing has never made a lick of sense, whereas pacifism ---- jingoism etc is great. Details like that are why victoria is great

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

buckets of buckets posted:

Fascism is militaristic and populist though. The left / right thing has never made a lick of sense, whereas pacifism ---- jingoism etc is great. Details like that are why victoria is great

They've got to keep the system in Victoria 2 but really make it more interactive where a party can change its stripes on some of those sliders. Politics in general felt like it could have used an expansion after Heart of Darkness and I hope V3 keeps the same kind of system but parties, elections and government types don't feel as opaque and non interactive. Changing it back towards a more simplistic model would be a mistake to me.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
To War, By Jingo!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

All joking aside, I would love to see a studio take on the post-independence era of African history in a simulator style game. Trying to balance incredibly nepotistic power structures, communist and capitalist interests, and those silly people who keep blathering on about 'democracy' and 'human rights' would be a fun and interesting experience. I think the only real way you could do it without it coming off as Genocide Simulator '64 would be to approach the struggles of post-independence Africa from a comical perspective.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You could make that a part of a bigger Cold War game and it'd work pretty well I think.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

A White Guy posted:

All joking aside, I would love to see a studio take on the post-independence era of African history in a simulator style game. Trying to balance incredibly nepotistic power structures, communist and capitalist interests, and those silly people who keep blathering on about 'democracy' and 'human rights' would be a fun and interesting experience. I think the only real way you could do it without it coming off as Genocide Simulator '64 would be to approach the struggles of post-independence Africa from a comical perspective.

Just have an option for every event: "let the military take care of it" which always would solve the problem with no apparent consequences, but randomly increases a hidden ticker for the military seizing control of the country.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

A White Guy posted:

Neither are about Africa, but this sounds a lot like Hidden Agenda, and Rogue State.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

buckets of buckets posted:

The left / right thing makes complete sense. Fascists would be far right in that system.

Takanago was making a joke about an EU: Rome Let's Play

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 29, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How about economic and domestic ideology sliders? So you could be something like socially liberal, but then also fiscally conservative.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

How about economic and domestic ideology sliders? So you could be something like socially liberal, but then also fiscally conservative.

South Park: The Stick Of Truth is already a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted: