Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The Motion Picture and Search for Spock aren't terrible. Besides, you kind of have to watch the Search for Spock between Wrath of Khan and Voyager Home so you're not wondering why in the hell they have a Klingon Bird of Prey instead of the Enterprise all of a sudden.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

e: and for all these criticisms of CD, 95% of it is just SMG. If this really upsets you, the Ignore button is right there. Or learn to appreciate one of the few trolls who puts hella effort into his gimmick. Or learn to not be upset about Transformers

You kinda can't, because I have him on ignore, but a lot of people don't and actually engage him and half of the posts there are people arguing with people like SMG and MisterBibs so I just don't post there period

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The prequels are better than The Force Awakens, because at least the prequels tried to do something new.

I dunno. I have mixed feelings on that.

I can kinda respect the prequels for what they tried to do. I feel like the basic idea behind the story of the prequels is a good and decent one. It's just that... well, George Lucas sucks at writing and directing so they wound up as huge disasterpieces. So, I feel like the prequels had a lot of cool ideas and art design, it's just that the execution was botched in a spectacular manner.

On the other hand, the Force Awakens was executed very well, but was devoid of any creativity. The new characters were likable, the actors who played them did a good job, and there were some funny bits, but the actual story was paper-thin. I enjoyed TFA, but whenever I think of it, I just get the sense that something was missing. What it does, it does well, it's just that, well, it doesn't do much we haven't already seen. I find myself kind of latching on to the characters of Finn and Kylo Ren, because they were like, some of the very few new, interesting things about the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek III contains the following and is redeemed for any and all strangeness for all time:

1) Kirk grappling with the loss of his best friend.
2) McCoy going nuts due to a mindmeld.
3) The Introduction of the Excelsior
4) The Theft of the Enterprise
5) Shatner's legitimately great reaction at David's death.
6) The Destruction of the Enterprise
7) Christopher Lloyd's Klingon portrayal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Search for Spock is better than Wrath of Khan.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
8) The terrible attempt at recreating the Mos Eisley Cantina that's pulled straight from a Vegas airport

Noted Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy:

Whoever said the TOS movies were like the series in higher definition was spot on. Even if the walls aren't orange.

After The War fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Each bad movie has its own good qualities. Hell, Nemesis has a kickin rad dune buggy scene. it's too bad they squandered it by putting it at the start before all the stupid poo poo. That movie should have ended with a totally sick dune buggy jump into the great beyond.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I unironically liked when Data did a Superman through open space to get from the Enterprise to the Scimitar.

That was the only part of the movie I liked and the plot also was completely nonsensical at every turn.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WickedHate posted:

I wonder what it'd be like being a Star Trek fan in the 90s, when the franchise was at it's peak.

It was pretty great, the BBC had this sort of SF time slot most weekdays showing the various Trek series throughout the week. One would be after the Simpsons on Tuesday's. They also showed other SF shows, from the original Battlestar Galactica to Buck Rodgers and Quantam Leap. I can still remember watching the TNG episode with the Ferengi scientist on an old black and white dial in television in my Grandfathers kitchen in the Welsh hills in the dead of winter. I missed the beginning and thought they'd killed Quark!

There were toys in all the shops, videos of episodes and nearly all magazines had articles about the show regardless of the magazines audience. For all the buzz about how popular the JJ films are, the cultural impact just isn't comparable.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I liked that there was finally a movie about my favorite species, the Romulans.

...shame about how that turned out.

e: Also Riker finally getting a command, even though that happens offscreen.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I watched TNG, DS9, and VOY as their aired with my mom. Sometimes with my dad, but usually just with my mom. She got really mad when DS9 ended because she wanted more and to know what happened to all the characters. I think she still holds out for some sort of DS9 movie.

Introduce her to B5. It does that in spades.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

There were toys in all the shops, videos of episodes and nearly all magazines had articles about the show regardless of the magazines audience. For all the buzz about how popular the JJ films are, the cultural impact just isn't comparable.

Yeah, the 90's were nuts in hindsight. Star Trek was always my first love so coming from a not well off family it was great to be able to get a handful of TNG figures and a phaser or something for birthdays and whatnot. In comparison nobody seems to give a poo poo about the JJ films after the initial marketing blast is over

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, was 8 when TNG started so I grew up with Trek. Voyager was on by the time I went to college and we didn't have a UPN affiliate there so I missed a lot of it on first run, but I wasn't too upset about it by that point. Contrast that to the move of B5 to TNT for the final season and the dorms didn't have cable. Oh the days of not knowing if you will EVER get to see an episode again if you didn't watch it live or record it with a VCR.

So yeah, I was the right age at the peak and it was amazing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lord Hydronium posted:

I liked that there was finally a movie about my favorite species, the Romulans.

...shame about how that turned out.

e: Also Riker finally getting a command, even though that happens offscreen.

I also really enjoy the romcoms so Nemisis was a huge disapointment and then the first JJ trek decides to blow up their homeworld and reduce the survivors to barely sentient pokemon that can only say "revenge" to attempt to communicate.

In my post-DS9 trek canon Romulus is fine and nothing extremely stupid happened.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Cardassians are the 2nd best aliens after Romulans so maybe we should be glad we never got a Cardassian movie.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cargohills posted:

I can't believe people like things popularly thought by nerds to be bad. I will complain about this in the Star Trek thread.

A mod is preparing to make a CD-Lite forum for people who don't like SMG-posting. It's gotten waaay out of hand, but it's really hard to get more than a six-hour probation for doing anything, and this is what we've come to. Thus angryposting about CD in every movie thread.

quote:

In my post-DS9 trek canon Romulus is fine and nothing extremely stupid happened.

Even when people were still digesting that someone had made interesting Star Trek for the first time since DS9, we were all flummoxed by the ST '09 villain with no intelligible backstory (unless you had read a comic or something, which is an automatic storytelling failure in my book).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Motion Picture and Search for Spock aren't terrible. Besides, you kind of have to watch the Search for Spock between Wrath of Khan and Voyager Home so you're not wondering why in the hell they have a Klingon Bird of Prey instead of the Enterprise all of a sudden.

TMP and ST3 are both pretty bad movies but in completely different senses. TMP is bad because it's an unruly mess of half-baked ideas and plot threads tacked on to some genuinely great effects sequences. ST3 is lacking in dramatic tension because it's obvious from the get go that they're going to find Spock, but has some pretty memorable moments. I'd have a hard time quoting anything much from either movie, but both are a lot better at capturing the TOS feel than any of the TNG movies are at capturing the feel of TNG, for example.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can kinda respect the prequels for what they tried to do. I feel like the basic idea behind the story of the prequels is a good and decent one. It's just that... well, George Lucas sucks at writing and directing so they wound up as huge disasterpieces. So, I feel like the prequels had a lot of cool ideas and art design, it's just that the execution was botched in a spectacular manner.

On the other hand, the Force Awakens was executed very well, but was devoid of any creativity. The new characters were likable, the actors who played them did a good job, and there were some funny bits, but the actual story was paper-thin. I enjoyed TFA, but whenever I think of it, I just get the sense that something was missing. What it does, it does well, it's just that, well, it doesn't do much we haven't already seen. I find myself kind of latching on to the characters of Finn and Kylo Ren, because they were like, some of the very few new, interesting things about the movie.

Kylo is nerd bait. He's a socially awkward white man with no friends, estranged from his family, who obsesses over the events of the original trilogy and cosplays as Darth Vader. He's obsessed with the original trilogy yet hates it too. He's there to appeal to Star Wars fans who feel embittered and betrayed at the direction the franchise took, in much the same way as Finn is there to appeal to random moviegoers who are like "uh so is this the one with Captain Kirk?" and Rey is there to appeal to kids who are just there for the uncritical enjoyment of the power fantasy of the hero's journey, which is why she can do literally anything the plot demands. As for the plot itself it's supposed to be a recap pretty much. I don't think the movie could care less about the political subtext from the original/prequel trilogies, it's a Star Wars movie about how audiences relate to Star Wars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

Kylo is nerd bait. He's a socially awkward white man with no friends, estranged from his family, who obsesses over the events of the original trilogy and cosplays as Darth Vader. He's obsessed with the original trilogy yet hates it too. He's there to appeal to Star Wars fans who feel embittered and betrayed at the direction the franchise took, in much the same way as Finn is there to appeal to random moviegoers who are like "uh so is this the one with Captain Kirk?" and Rey is there to appeal to kids who are just there for the uncritical enjoyment of the power fantasy of the hero's journey, which is why she can do literally anything the plot demands. As for the plot itself it's supposed to be a recap pretty much. I don't think the movie could care less about the political subtext from the original/prequel trilogies, it's a Star Wars movie about how audiences relate to Star Wars.

I've always felt that Kylo is directly making fun of those people, not appealing to them. But not everyone watching may be able to tell the difference.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've always felt that Kylo is directly making fun of those people, not appealing to them. But not everyone watching may be able to tell the difference.

What's the difference? Mocking attention is still attention. It doesn't matter whether the movie sanctifies his actions or character, just that he's there and that potential buyers of tickets and merch will identify with him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: drat, beaten.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've always felt that Kylo is directly making fun of those people, not appealing to them.

It could be both.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone suggested that Star Wars villains are a product of their time.

70's - Fascist dictators
90's - Scheming politicians
10's - Petulant impotent man-children

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

skasion posted:

I think Kylo Ren is a clever character because they're well aware just how popular and iconic Darth Vader is as a villain, and any bad guy they try to do will just get compared to him and wind up as the lesser of the two. So why not just roll with it and make your new bad guy a lovely Vader wannabe and actually acknowledge it?

So instead of having moviegoers being like "awww, this bad guy sucks because he's a shittier Darth Vader instead of something else", it's more like "this bad guy is interesting because he really wants to be his grandad Darth Vader, but he sucks and he knows it." Adam Driver reminds me a lot of Hayden Christiensen's whiny bitch Anakin, and hilariously, in this context it actually works.

As for Finn, I think he's neat because he's an ex-Imperial turncoat with a sudden change of heart and while that's been in the books before, the movies never did it.

I like Poe because they couldn't actually get Wedge Antilles to agree to appear in the movie so Poe is the next best thing.

Rey is pretty loving boring, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Kylo Ren is pretty much JP from Grandma's Boy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Cardassians are the 2nd best aliens after Romulans so maybe we should be glad we never got a Cardassian movie.

The Cardassians were showcased for more then half of DS9 though. If a future Trek film were to use an existing race as the villains/antagonists, I think I'd want it to be the Andorians. Even with the handful of Enterprise episodes, they're one of the few Trek races that don't feel done to death. You could do some really interesting things with them. They're militaristic without being idiots like the Klingons, they're paranoid without having it drive their entire society like the Romulans and Cardassians, etc.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Rey is pretty loving boring, though.

She's a character that's clearly meant to be fleshed out over the course of the trilogy. Luke wasn't exactly thrilling in his first movie either. Finn is the new Han though, and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 28, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kylo was probably the best thing in the new starwars. They could have easily made a cool badass villain, someone attractive and charismatic. But we get this emotionally crippled hosed up whiney little brat played by a good actor who manages to repulse the viewer. He's not cool, he's not a misunderstood anti-hero, he's pathetic and dangerous at the same time but he's not cool or badass, which is great.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Star Trek was so big in the 90s that around Christmas a Star Trek merchandise shop would appear in my local mall along with the calendar shops. They had some of the same toys that the toy store had but also more expensive stuff. I remember a wooden bat'leth hanging on the wall.

I was born in 84 but my mother had me watching ST from before I can remember. I was upset when TNG went off the air. I had mixed feelings about DS9 because I liked the characters but disliked the lack of a starship. As DS9 went on it got better and divorced itself from the TNG style episodes I grew to like it more. I was pissed at the second or third episode of voyager being a dumb space anomaly episode. I got really angry that the show that promised us lots of never before seen stuff went right back to making shows that could have just as easily been in TNG. I watched it grudgingly waiting for it to get better but I gave up on it after a couple of seasons. I found Enterprise laughably dumb and didn't want to go through the voyager experience again, but my college roommate and I watched the later seasons when he would come back from class and I liked them enough to watch most of it when it came out on streaming. It's still not very good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Kylo was probably the best thing in the new starwars. They could have easily made a cool badass villain, someone attractive and charismatic. But we get this emotionally crippled hosed up whiney little brat played by a good actor who manages to repulse the viewer. He's not cool, he's not a misunderstood anti-hero, he's pathetic and dangerous at the same time but he's not cool or badass, which is great.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.

They knew any bad guy they did couldn't compare well to Darth Vader, so they were just like "whatever, let's roll with that. Let's make him a lovely Darth Vader on purpose." It also works because he's Vader's grandson and is desperately trying to live up to his legacy but is just inadequate. And it especially works because he actually IS a lot like his granddad when he grandad was a whiny little bitch in the prequels and not when he was a scary badass in the original movies.

However, I am very torn on Kylo Ren, because while I think he's interesting as a character, he's better suited to be a mere minion rather than a main antagonist, because the guy just doesn't feel even remotely threatening. I mean, he got his rear end kicked by someone who had no idea how to use the force and had never used a lightsaber before. In the OT, the Luke and the Rebels were really the underdogs and Vader was this looming, unstoppable evil. Kylo Ren and the First Order blow up more planets, but I just don't feel like our heroes are in that much peril because the the bad guys just get totally clowned on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's because the movie, like the JJ trek movies, have absolutely no sense of scale or place.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

I'd have a hard time quoting anything much from either movie

"I.....HAVE HAD....ENOUGH OF.....YOUUUUUU!"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Thwomp posted:

"I.....HAVE HAD....ENOUGH OF.....YOUUUUUU!"

"My God, Bones...what have I done?"

"What you had to do...what you always do: turn death into a fighting chance to live."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Don't forget:

"My father says that you have been my friend. You came back for me [...] Why would you do this?"

"Because the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"Dont call me Tiny."

"Up yer shaft."

"Klingon bastard killed my son."

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I remember seeing some thinkpiece article about how JJ movies don't last in the mind once your out of the theater. You have a good time there, but nothing sticks.

I don't know if I buy it, but the idea is out there.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I remember them exactly as well as I remember the six original cast movies, because (apart from Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness) I've only seen each of them once.

I'm guessing it's just people remembering movies they've seen more times better.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The only reason The Search for Spock is bad is because it's between two better movies.

Like Empire Strikes Back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baronjutter posted:

Matt the Radar Technician is somehow the thing that makes me smile the most from the movie and everything surrounding it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

I remember seeing some thinkpiece article about how JJ movies don't last in the mind once your out of the theater. You have a good time there, but nothing sticks.

I don't know if I buy it, but the idea is out there.

No, it's totally true. I can't articulate why that is, but it's true. People saw Star Trek '09, liked it, then promptly forgot about Star Trek again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thwomp posted:

Star Trek III contains the following and is redeemed for any and all strangeness for all time:

1) Kirk grappling with the loss of his best friend.
2) McCoy going nuts due to a mindmeld.
3) The Introduction of the Excelsior
4) The Theft of the Enterprise
5) Shatner's legitimately great reaction at David's death.
6) The Destruction of the Enterprise
7) Christopher Lloyd's Klingon portrayal.

Stealing the Enterprise and the destruction of the Enterprise are the only bits of the movie that are even remotely watchable. Shatner's reaction to David's death is so over the top that it makes Al Pacino at the end of Godfather Part III look subtle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The new trek movies don't do any world-building, they don't feel like they're exploring the setting, like many people have said they have no sense of place or scale. Things like starwars and trek establish whole universes, they feel big and expansive and it makes many people curious and interested in learning more about the setting. The new trek movies are extremely polished tight little packages that leave pretty much nothing to the imagination and don't have room for any interesting world-building because that's time that could be spent on the next action set-piece.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

The new trek movies don't do any world-building, they don't feel like they're exploring the setting, like many people have said they have no sense of place or scale. Things like starwars and trek establish whole universes, they feel big and expansive and it makes many people curious and interested in learning more about the setting. The new trek movies are extremely polished tight little packages that leave pretty much nothing to the imagination and don't have room for any interesting world-building because that's time that could be spent on the next action set-piece.

Beyond spent a bit of time worldbuilding at Yorktown and it was the coolest thing in the movie.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I suspect that Beyond turned out the way it did because of Simon Pegg and the fact that it was the 50th anniversary. If they make another one I can't see it being nearly as good if he's not writing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tighclops posted:

I suspect that Beyond turned out the way it did because of Simon Pegg and the fact that it was the 50th anniversary. If they make another one I can't see it being nearly as good if he's not writing it again.

They probably won't make another because beyond didn't do as well. If the TV show is a success maybe. Although gently caress trek movies, trek is a TV show and is generally at it's best as a TV show.