Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BaDandy posted:

I get that, and it's easy to see why that would happen, but keep in mind that I've lived in Nebraska all my life and this is the first time I've run into a place that was on that level. You're right that it's a very "Midwest" thing to run into, though. It's just the first time I've actually run into it, weirdly.

Nah, I wasn't ragging on ya, dude/dudette. It's just a sad thing to see and it's something that happens far too often. I did a radio interview one time with a gal who had opened a cupcake shop in a tiny town because she saw someone on TV do something similar. She said, "...my husband looked at me and said 'you know you are a way better cook than this guy, I bet you could do that,' so I did, and it's great!"

Now, to be honest, they were some good fuckin' cupcakes, but really? A niche shop like that in a metro area would probably work, but not in a tiny rural town where the median income is barely above the poverty line. Unsurprisingly, it closed down about four months after she opened it. They dumped a shitton of money into capital improvements, too, and real estate in Illinois isn't exactly booming, so they're probably finding ways to get creative with ramen instead of cupcake batter right now.

Not hers, but have some cupcakes:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Poop Cupcake posted:

#wifematerial indeed :gonk:

A lot of these photos are normal home-cook sort of foods, but what the actual gently caress is this one??

AFP Bingo posted:

Why is it wet

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It IS sad, and the lady seemed nice enough. :(

But anyway, back to AFP and my favorites, Horrible Retro Recipes. Like this!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Not having a soda fountain is a HUGE red flag when it comes to eating anywhere. They are basically free to acquire because soda companies want you to buy syrup from them and sign exclusivity deals and it's generally accepted that most casual dining places will have one. If you're running any kind of place that serves food and you don't have a soda machine it usually means one of two things:

-You lacked the credit or very small amount of money to get one: again, huge red flag for a casual dining place because those kinds of places rarely manage to do more than break even for sometimes several years and if you can't afford a soda machine starting off you're probably hosed, and if you don't have the credit to get one floated to you you definitely don't have the credit to take a loan to keep your place afloat.

-You don't have a floor drain: this is also a red flag because anyone who isn't dumb as gently caress and is opening a casual dining restaurant will get a floor drain installed, in many places this also means you can't get taps put in so goodbye any chance of making money on beer. It also ties into the above, where if you lack the money to get a drain put in, the knowledge to know you need one or the credit to get a loan to get one installed, you probably should have done a lot more research before deciding you could run a business.

I've been to some good restaurants that serve their soda in cans, but they're all in NYC where space is at a premium and some restaurants are so small that they need to pull the table away from the wall to let you sit against it. Island Burgers & Shakes serves it in cans with mason jars to pour into, and they're consistently a good place for a burger in Hell's Kitchen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nah, I wasn't ragging on ya, dude/dudette. It's just a sad thing to see and it's something that happens far too often. I did a radio interview one time with a gal who had opened a cupcake shop in a tiny town because she saw someone on TV do something similar. She said, "...my husband looked at me and said 'you know you are a way better cook than this guy, I bet you could do that,' so I did, and it's great!"

Now, to be honest, they were some good fuckin' cupcakes, but really? A niche shop like that in a metro area would probably work, but not in a tiny rural town where the median income is barely above the poverty line. Unsurprisingly, it closed down about four months after she opened it. They dumped a shitton of money into capital improvements, too, and real estate in Illinois isn't exactly booming, so they're probably finding ways to get creative with ramen instead of cupcake batter right now.

Not hers, but have some cupcakes:

These can definitely be salvaged by putting yummy stuff inside, like a bit of pie filling, whip cream, mousse, etc.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Found this in a store today and knew I had to stop lurking and :justpost:.

Even the cashier was looking at it like it was a bag of dog poo or something.

Deep-frozen pizza, on which are chicken/turkey frankfurters and french fries.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Panfilo posted:

These can definitely be salvaged by putting yummy stuff inside, like a bit of pie filling, whip cream, mousse, etc.

That's what I thought when I saw these ones:

If these are red velvet, you could easily make the cream cheese frosting and just pipe it in there. Yum, yum, yum.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

I've been to some good restaurants that serve their soda in cans, but they're all in NYC where space is at a premium and some restaurants are so small that they need to pull the table away from the wall to let you sit against it. Island Burgers & Shakes serves it in cans with mason jars to pour into, and they're consistently a good place for a burger in Hell's Kitchen.

I should have said, you can not have a fountain if you're a ultra casual lunch counter type of place. At that point you can save money by not having to gently caress around with cups, bags of syrup, etc and just have a fridge filled with bottles or cans. It's just once you cross into a sort of bar and grill or family dining type place you're going to lose sooooo much money not having a soda fountain. People eat like poo poo and expect their drinks to be refilled, or at least expect the option to be presented to them and if you're dipping into cans every time teenage food dumpster Billy wants his coke refill you're looking at possibly losing money on drinks which is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. In places like NY it's different, many places require (as I mentioned before) that the area with the fountain in it be near a drain and in old cities you can't expect to be able to install one or even have the option to do so (historic registers and such). There's other factors too, if you're a take away place and you're right next to a 7-11 or something you can basically write off having to do drinks because unless you can beat the prices at the convenience store/bodega you're going to lose sales anyways. People do it for aesthetic reasons too, I've been in plenty of Mexican places that only did Jaritos and Mexi-coke and even more dumb white people bullshit places that insist on only having one brand of local bespoke soda and/or bottled cold brew coffee because this is Oregon and that poo poo festers here like a extremely nasty strain of flesh eating bacteria.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I feel sort of happy/sad when I look back at a restaurant I used to work at since before it opened and they're finally doing OK after 3 total staff turnovers. After they finally started fixing poo poo customers/employees have been complaining about since day one.

As far as sad middle American food, one of my worst experiences was when I was a vegetarian and went to Cracker Barrel with coworkers (I'd never been there before). I ordered the "four vegetable platter," figuring that if someone was ordering all vegetables this must be the vegetarian option, and 3/4 of the dishes were cooked with ham or bacon.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't normally get fast food, but years ago I used to like to get the occasional chicken sandwich from Wendy's. Today I happen to pass by the bulletin board at work where they pin up local restaurant fliers and coupons and there was a two chicken sandwich and two small fries for $8 coupon from Wendy's so I thought hey, I'll grab dinner and neither my wife nor I will have to cook...

They were the saddest looking, limp, soggy sandwiches I've ever seen. I swear they're half the size they used to be. Mine tasted fine but it was just sad. And the fries were mushy and just... disappointing. I felt too bad for them to even take their picture they were so disappointing.

Guess I'll go another year before I risk fast food roulette again.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

BaDandy posted:

It IS sad, and the lady seemed nice enough. :(

But anyway, back to AFP and my favorites, Horrible Retro Recipes. Like this!

This is so amazing I had to suggest it to CultMoo since they've done some other weird vintage recipes.

Onion/vinegar + cottage/mayo infused lime jello with seafood salad?!?

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ6CcEOmlYU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

f... fried mice?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

RNG posted:

As far as sad middle American food, one of my worst experiences was when I was a vegetarian and went to Cracker Barrel with coworkers (I'd never been there before). I ordered the "four vegetable platter," figuring that if someone was ordering all vegetables this must be the vegetarian option, and 3/4 of the dishes were cooked with ham or bacon.

Welcome to The American South, where almost all vegetables are cooked with ham, bacon, lard or sugar.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Tashilicious posted:

f... fried mice?

Maybe grasshoppers?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I see nothing particularly objectionable here. it's kind of like a crazy sandwich (pizza?)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Finger sandwiches in "cake" form.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the tiny pastry garnish is particularly a nice touch, but i would about half of those last batch.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

RNG posted:

I feel sort of happy/sad when I look back at a restaurant I used to work at since before it opened and they're finally doing OK after 3 total staff turnovers. After they finally started fixing poo poo customers/employees have been complaining about since day one.

To be fair, if you want something vegetarian you have to ask. Tons of restaurant vegetable dishes use chicken stock or other meat flavourings.

My vegetarian cousin was recently astonished to learn that tofu pad thai is not a vegetarian dish, because how is that possible when it has tofu instead of meat?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RNG posted:

What kind of stuff, specifically?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Trillian posted:

To be fair, if you want something vegetarian you have to ask. Tons of restaurant vegetable dishes use chicken stock or other meat flavourings.

My vegetarian cousin was recently astonished to learn that tofu pad thai is not a vegetarian dish, because how is that possible when it has tofu instead of meat?!

Most places will make it without the fish sauce if you ask, though.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

just a pot of fried fetuses.

poos reenacting the Lion King scene where Mufasa talks to simba

I'm also interested in the macaroni being spooned onto the flatbreads/whole weat tocos? that appear to be spread with the least amount of tomato sauce

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Trillian posted:

Whenever vegetarian friends tell me that there is some vegetarian dish that is "soooo good," I secretly bet 90% of the time it's because there is chicken stock or fish sauce in it.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Efexeye posted:

chopped from a few weeks back featured a pair of twins from michigan that run like a custom charcuterie/tap room place in Imlay City, Michigan, a town with 3500 residents. who is paying $35 bucks for entrees often enough to support that?

Almost certainly it's people driving up from the rich people communities around Detroit. It might be cheaper for them to do business in Imlay than in Rochester Hills or West Bloomfield. If it's very good, people won't mind driving an hour or two out there. OR, they're both idiots and should have opened their business a bit south.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

CannonFodder posted:

It looks gneiss to me.

Nah, they look like schist

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trillian posted:

I don't remember the last time I went to a restaurant where the menu didn't explicitly state which items were vegetarian and which were gluten free.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I once had an ornery vegan obstinately claim to me that Koreans don't put fish sauce in kimchi.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Most places will make it without the fish sauce if you ask, though.

There's a ramen place near me that dumps an overwhelming amount of bonito flakes on every dish so I tried ordering something vegetarian just to get away from it and the vegetarian dish came out completely covered in bonito flakes. For some reason some people think fish is vegetarian.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
To be fair, most vegetarians think fish is vegetarian.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aramek posted:

To be fair, most vegetarians think fish is vegetarian.

You have to draw the line somewhere, i mean cheese is technically not vegetarian because of the microbes. So where do you draw it? Fish are a really dumb form of life, they seem like a good place to put the dividing line. Maybe bugs and shellfish? They are even dumber

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

You have to draw the line somewhere, i mean cheese is technically not vegetarian because of the microbes. So where do you draw it? Fish are a really dumb form of life, they seem like a good place to put the dividing line. Maybe bugs and shellfish? They are even dumber

The stupidest example for me has always been vegans not eating honey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rutibex posted:

You have to draw the line somewhere, i mean cheese is technically not vegetarian because of the microbes. So where do you draw it? Fish are a really dumb form of life, they seem like a good place to put the dividing line.

There's a pretty large range within the category of fish though. If you're allowing all fish then you probably should allow a lot of other animals too.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Chin Strap posted:

I can at least understand the "no dairy" thing because we're taking it directly from the animal. But honey? We're just looting that poo poo!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nah, they look like schist

:hfive:

Also, that post with all of the crazy desserts: I would for most of them. The butterfly made of banana and kiwi fruit is too cute to eat :kimchi:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chin Strap posted:

Vegans who don't eat honey will say that it's pretty much the same as dairy products, in that you're not killing the animal, but you're disrupting it's life for your gain.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

CommonShore posted:

Vegans who don't eat honey will say that it's pretty much the same as dairy products, in that you're not killing the animal, but you're disrupting it's life for your gain.

I hope none of them depend on commercial pollination then. Sorry duders but that almond milk was built on the backs on bees.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

To be fair, as horrible as some all these must taste, you've got to give them credit for how intricate some of these are.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Zipperelli. posted:

To be fair, as horrible as some all these must taste, you've got to give them credit for how intricate some of these are.

Have you ever eaten a sandwich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chin Strap posted:

I hope none of them depend on commercial pollination then. Sorry duders but that almond milk was built on the backs on bees.

Apparently commercial honey bees are relatively lovely at pollination, and the native insects actually do a better job. Anyway, don't argue with me, I'm just reporting the types of arguments they make. Most of the vegans who go so far as to avoid honey for ethical reasons won't be buying something like almond milk from a regular grocery store anyway.