Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm pretty new to android in general, I picked up an s7 edge and am running nova but there are still a few tweaks I'd like to make if someone could tell me if tbese are easily accomplished or not.

At the moment I'd love to be able to turn off some of the useless status bar icons that I don't care about like alarm clock (it will always be on because I have a recurring weekly alarm), the Bluetooth icon (I don't care to see it if nothing is connected) and the vibrate ringtone icon (because really who cares).

Is this possible without major hacks?

http://i.imgur.com/g8rEDpr.png

It would also be amazing if I could add some notification icons to the always on display like Google messenger and maybe some other chat alerts (hangouts, Facebook messenger, Gmail, etc)

Is this achievable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^^^ That's built into stock 7.0, so you might get the ability to do so eventually. I love being able to hide the clock icon and a couple other little things.

EDIT: hiding icons I mean

XIII fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 27, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MMD3 posted:

It would also be amazing if I could add some notification icons to the always on display like Google messenger and maybe some other chat alerts (hangouts, Facebook messenger, Gmail, etc)

This part is coming in the Nougat update.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Shot in the dark here, but I have a co-worker with an Asus Zenfone 2 with some weird behavior. If he uninstalls every app (basic stuff Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, LINE, WeChat) his phone is fine. But as soon as he starts putting apps on the whole thing slows down a ton, where you can see the draws in the flip animations, getting stuck on one screen after unlock for 2 seconds. Basically everything feels like it takes at least a second longer than it should. Is this just "not enough RAM on a wimpy phone" or is there some deeper problem specific to the Asus? He's on Lollipop w/ the most recent security updates.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't install Facebook Messenger. I haven't used it but I have seen it repeated enough in this thread to know that it causes problems, or at least for a fairly long time period caused problems.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

As someone who used to have a Zenfone 2 (the one with 4gb of RAM) that is NOT normal at all. Try factory reset and if that doesn't work, maybe send it it back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess my other question would be, is it possible the phone has 0 free space left?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess my other question would be, is it possible the phone has 0 free space left?

Well, I mean... You could look?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's about 43 gb free on internal storage. He's also uninstalled everything and still having the laggies show up again, so I'm guessing it's not app based. I'll try suggesting the factory reset, thanks guys!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't install Facebook Messenger. I haven't used it but I have seen it repeated enough in this thread to know that it causes problems, or at least for a fairly long time period caused problems.

What. What problems is it supposed to cause? I have zero issues with it, after I turn off that annoyingly loud DING notification sound.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Well, I mean... You could look?

You do realize I am not the person with access to the phone, right? I was answering his question.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What. What problems is it supposed to cause? I have zero issues with it, after I turn off that annoyingly loud DING notification sound.

This thread mentioned performance issues and battery drain due to Facebook Messenger over and over again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This thread mentioned performance issues and battery drain due to Facebook Messenger over and over again.

I have that on the regular Facebook app. Not Messenger, I don't experience any problems with it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

XIII posted:

^^^ That's built into stock 7.0, so you might get the ability to do so eventually. I love being able to hide the clock icon and a couple other little things.

EDIT: hiding icons I mean

You can pick and choose what's in your notification shade but the status bar is still off limits unless you're rooted, right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Nobody says this. Everyone says the Facebook app is garbage, not the Messenger app.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

There's about 43 gb free on internal storage. He's also uninstalled everything and still having the laggies show up again, so I'm guessing it's not app based. I'll try suggesting the factory reset, thanks guys!

Take out the sd card if there is one? Maybe it's a garbage card? Hit it on a table really hard?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The 64GB Moto G4 Plus I ordered over the weekend arrived today. First impressions:

-The SD617 is perfectly adequate for the mundane things I do on my phone. I don't play any games so GPU power doesn't matter to me really.
-The screen is pretty nice, black levels are especially nice for an LCD, probably better than my 15 Moto X (still won't touch an AMOLED obviously).
-I kind of miss stereo front facing speakers, but not a deal breaker.
-I threw in a 64GB Samsung SD card (storage for days!).
-The camera is surprisingly good. I like the new Moto camera app.
-I like the front fingerprint scanner. It's been dead reliable so far.
-Even though it's plastic, it feels solid. The back cover is nicely textured and grippier than my previous Moto X's.
-Moto Display still works well without the proximity sensors. Chop to flash and twist to cam also work great.

Unfortunately, it seems the headphone jack is defective. This is my 4th Motorola phone but apparently Lenovo fired the engineers responsible for correctly implementing a working 3.5mm jack. I only have audio in the right channel. I made sure to check that my headphones were seated completely (they snap in with a noticeable click) and have tried rebooting the phone (in safe mode as well). So far, no luck.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's the excuse as to why Sony disabled the fingerprint sensor on the X in America

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Calaveron posted:

So what's the excuse as to why Sony disabled the fingerprint sensor on the X in America

Nothing official but it's probably a patent thing or something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nobody says this. Everyone says the Facebook app is garbage, not the Messenger app.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mental Hospitality posted:

Unfortunately, it seems the headphone jack is defective. This is my 4th Motorola phone but apparently Lenovo fired the engineers responsible for correctly implementing a working 3.5mm jack. I only have audio in the right channel. I made sure to check that my headphones were seated completely (they snap in with a noticeable click) and have tried rebooting the phone (in safe mode as well). So far, no luck.

Have you tried a new pair of headphones to be sure? Headphone plugs wear out with repeated insertion and removal cycles, even if they otherwise look fine.
Speaking as someone who's job allows them to wear all day, every day; it's the single biggest reason I went to Bluetooth, and I genuinely (no bullshit) hope everyone follows Apple in getting rid of it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 28, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Have you tried a new pair of headphones to be sure? Headphone plugs wear out with repeated insertion and removal cycles, even if they otherwise look fine.
Speaking as someone who's job allows them to wear all day, every day; it's the single biggest reason I went to Bluetooth, and I genuinely (no bullshit) hope everyone follows Apple in getting rid of it.

The headphones work fine in my laptops and my old phone. They're Sony XB90 IEMs and I've only had them for a year. I'm hesitant to going to Bluetooth because a can cram these in my pocket at a whim, never have to worry about recharging them, and I enjoy how bass heavy they are (16mm drivers).

E: It's sad, the more I use this phone, the more I like it. I'll try a replacement, hopefully I just had bad luck with this particular one.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 28, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ThermoPhysical posted:

So that Wi-Fi Assistant thing came on for me this past weekend. It was actually pretty nice. It was on without notifying me and had the little lock in the corner.

I really wish there was a way to turn it on manually. It only turns on when connecting to open WiFi automatically, but sometimes there's free public WiFi available that my phone doesn't connect to and I have to connect manually. I don't get WiFi Assistant in that case.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

The headphones work fine in my laptops and my old phone. They're Sony XB90 IEMs and I've only had them for a year. I'm hesitant to going to Bluetooth because a can cram these in my pocket at a whim, never have to worry about recharging them, and I enjoy how bass heavy they are (16mm drivers).

Fair enough. The Bluetooth ones I use have 12 hour battery life (about 3 hours for a thirty minute charge), but only 8mm drivers.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

You can pick and choose what's in your notification shade but the status bar is still off limits unless you're rooted, right?
I'm only on Marshmallow with Nexus 5 but I can do it if developer mode is enabled (tap build number under about phone 7 times).

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to disable Guest accounts on a Lollipop tablet (or Marshmallow for that matter) without rooting? It seems remarkably stupid that if someone walks away with a tablet I can't lock them out from using it, so I feel like I must be missing something. Android Device Manager also doesn't work when the guest account is logged in, which also seems really really dumb. Please tell me I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I had a HTC one (m8) and absolutely loved it, and would be using it now if it hadn't been stolen. That got me back to using an iphone my wife had upgraded from, but now it's about time to buy a new phone and I've almost decided on no evidence of it being good at all to get a HTC desire pro when its out next month.
Can anyone tell me about current standards of HTC phones? The m8 was probably the best phone I've ever had, and I'm keen to get back to that feeling of superb design and user friendly-ness (it was also my first android phone)

Edit: It was apparantly an m8s or something, the last m8 version if that makes any difference

Nuclear War fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 28, 2016

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

I had a HTC one (m8) and absolutely loved it, and would be using it now if it hadn't been stolen. That got me back to using an iphone my wife had upgraded from, but now it's about time to buy a new phone and I've almost decided on no evidence of it being good at all to get a HTC desire pro when its out next month.
Can anyone tell me about current standards of HTC phones? The m8 was probably the best phone I've ever had, and I'm keen to get back to that feeling of superb design and user friendly-ness (it was also my first android phone)

Edit: It was apparantly an m8s or something, the last m8 version if that makes any difference

well, HTC is making the Google Pixel that's getting revealed on Tuesday.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

The Merkinman posted:

I'm only on Marshmallow with Nexus 5 but I can do it if developer mode is enabled (tap build number under about phone 7 times).

Can you explain to me how you're able to hide icons from the *status bar* and not the notification shade? i.e. the Bluetooth even though you're not connected to a Bluetooth device?

E: oh, it's in System UI tuner.. so long press on the settings gear from the notification shade and then it's in those options. Cool.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 28, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

Is there a way to disable Guest accounts on a Lollipop tablet (or Marshmallow for that matter) without rooting? It seems remarkably stupid that if someone walks away with a tablet I can't lock them out from using it, so I feel like I must be missing something. Android Device Manager also doesn't work when the guest account is logged in, which also seems really really dumb. Please tell me I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

In Marshmallow on my old N5, there's a checkbox in the overflow menu on the Users settings page for "add users when the device is locked" that makes it so you can't get into the guest account if it hasn't been set up/used before, and the device is locked with PIN/pattern/etc. If it has been used, there should be a notification when you switch to it to delete all guest data. That's the best I can find.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

After two days of using my old Moto X while waiting for my replacement 5x (1-2 days processing, 2 days shipping, bleh), I have to say, this 3 year old phone is just as fast and responsive if not better than the 5x after 1 year. Battery life is still decent. Just makes me more disappointed in the 5x. Now if it wasn't for the potato-grade camera in the Moto X...

Nevermind, gently caress that. Forgot about the random crashes resulting in the Moto X rebooting and optimizing apps for 15 minutes.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

I went from an M8 to an HTC Ten. It's... OK. I'd have been happier if they'd left the design exactly the same, including the screen, and just given me the latest CPU. The screen is nice, the thumbprint reader works well enough, but I miss the stereo speakers and having the headphone hack on the bottom. I can't really say if the camera is any better since I hardly ever use it.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Back to the custom ROM chat, I'm one of those filthy poors who can't justify a phone above the 300AUD mark on any sort of regular basis. I normally go years between phones and I'm a light user so it's just not a thing I want to sink money into. Hardware wise the Chinese phones are the best value, plus Cyanogenmod seems secure enough and they have a commercial wing so there's at least some pressure to release a secure product. Yeah I don't get any support or anything, but paying less for a phone means I have more of a budget for emergencies should anything break beyond repair.

It's a weighted risk that's paid off for me, at least.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/xdadevelopers/status/781143576298291200

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

People talk a lot about how if you use a custom ROM you're liable to have all the viruses, trojans and have all your details stolen, but I've never heard of a single case of this happening. It's possible, but it seems to me that most custom ROMs are made by people who just like to tinker and help others out.

Mine for instance is just a normal S5 ROM with the latest security patches that has a bunch of tweaks and no Samsung apps, so it's got a few gigs more in the internal card and is more responsive. That's all.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Alan_Shore posted:

People talk a lot about how if you use a custom ROM you're liable to have all the viruses, trojans and have all your details stolen, but I've never heard of a single case of this happening. It's possible, but it seems to me that most custom ROMs are made by people who just like to tinker and help others out.

Mine for instance is just a normal S5 ROM with the latest security patches that has a bunch of tweaks and no Samsung apps, so it's got a few gigs more in the internal card and is more responsive. That's all.

Yeah, I think this thread especially treats any rom user as a 15 year old script kiddie using a live wallpaper of the matrix green text and has a hax the gibson button or some poo poo. I can safely say people like Cleanrom, Kang and even Cyanogenmod do a better job at updates, stability, user friendliness and overall polish than any of the horrible poo poo put on an LG, Xiaomi, huawei, or basically any single other android vendor that isn't HTC/Google.

Also, wasn't some Chinese OEM just caught installing backdoors in every single consumer device they sell? I think it was Xiaomi.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The source article says the guy didn't even let Samsung take the burned up phone for investigation. How would anyone know it's not a "fixed" model?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

nimper posted:

The source article says the guy didn't even let Samsung take the burned up phone for investigation. How would anyone know it's not a "fixed" model?

:what::respek::eng99:

TFA posted:

Samsung has received the defective unit and is currently examining the device to find out what happened.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of Samsung and explosions...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/news/samsung-cpsc-washing-machine-explosion-reports/

What is going ON over there.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No arm of samsung is safe from the samsung'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tizen/Touchwiz is just so powerful, no one machine can handle this much psycho power solutions to everyday living.