Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What year did that happen? :stare:

1995 maybe? I can't remember offhand but when I cataloged the collection it was staggering how many came out that summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I've got a quote from DC's trade department about this actually.

output $comic_series issues (x-(x+6)) goto "printer"

I hope that...helps?

Nah, that's the old policy, the new one's much better: output $comic_series issues (x-(x+12)) goto "printer"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

What modern one issue story would you guys include?

Does the backup from Fantastic Four 588 count? Because the backup from Fantastic Four 588.

ed: This poo poo still makes me tear up.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 28, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a Clone Saga mini that came out several years ago that was a do-over for DeFalco and Mackie where they got to tell the truncated version they said they had in mind before it got blown up. It's an interesting read. I wouldn't call it good, but it's better than the original Clone Saga by a fairly wide margin.

Bendis of course did a version of the Clone Saga as well in Ultimate Spider-Man and I thought that story was actually really good.]

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 28, 2016

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

Is there even such a thing as a modern one-issue story?

Pretty much that entire last run of Moon Knight. The Ellis then Wood bit. I guess there was some "continued next issue" but for the most part they were all pretty stand-alone.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know if these two count as a full story, but they can be read without having read anything else in the series.

- Hawkeye - #11 - PIzza is My Business (2013)
- Action Comics - #01 - Vs The City of Tomorrow (2011)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Ellis' Secret Avengers has 6 of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

There's a Clone Saga mini that came out several years ago that was a do-over for DeFalco and Mackie where they got to tell the truncated version they said they had in mind before it got blown up. It's an interesting read. I wouldn't call it good, but it's better than the original Clone Saga by a fairly wide margin.

I remember reading that and it really didn't jive with other info that I'd heard about the original plans.

Ferrule posted:

Pretty much that entire last run of Moon Knight. The Ellis then Wood bit. I guess there was some "continued next issue" but for the most part they were all pretty stand-alone.

lifg posted:

I don't know if these two count as a full story, but they can be read without having read anything else in the series.

- Hawkeye - #11 - PIzza is My Business (2013)
- Action Comics - #01 - Vs The City of Tomorrow (2011)

redbackground posted:

Ellis' Secret Avengers has 6 of them.

I was being hyperbolic. The fact that they're not at all the norm nowadays would make it much harder to pick a "classic" one-issue Spider-man story from the past 15 years. Even the short stories are usually 2 issues or more.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So I read that pre-Nu52 Superman coexisted with his Nu52 counterpart and did superheroics in secret, but stepped in to replace the latter when he died. (Then Rebirth happened.) Did I get that right?

What issue did Nu52 Superman die?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the last one

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Schneider Heim posted:

So I read that pre-Nu52 Superman coexisted with his Nu52 counterpart and did superheroics in secret, but stepped in to replace the latter when he died. (Then Rebirth happened.) Did I get that right?

What issue did Nu52 Superman die?

Issue 52, the last issue of the previous Superman title

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

I remember reading that and it really didn't jive with other info that I'd heard about the original plans.

I was being hyperbolic. The fact that they're not at all the norm nowadays would make it much harder to pick a "classic" one-issue Spider-man story from the past 15 years. Even the short stories are usually 2 issues or more.

I understand your hyperbole, for sure.

I would argue, though, that A) there have been stand-alone issues for decades - they're called Annuals, and B) since comics started the idea of stand-alone is pretty uncommon. Even 60's Spider-Man had stories that went two, three issues long.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey guys - one of my friends just asked about good Doc Strange runs, and I know absolutely nothing about the character other than that he's the sorcerer supreme or something. What's a good starting point? Are there any really killer runs?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Hey guys - one of my friends just asked about good Doc Strange runs, and I know absolutely nothing about the character other than that he's the sorcerer supreme or something. What's a good starting point? Are there any really killer runs?

The OG Lee/Ditko stuff is the place to start.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh hey it's time for the next unscheduled reminder that Gerber's Defenders is a best run contender for every character involved including Doctor Strange.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Matt Fraction's Defenders isn't a solo Strange series, but it is a delight, and Strange plays a huge role.

Skwirl posted:

The Oath and Triumph and Torment are also amazing Dr Strange stories
Yah, tell them to grab T&T. It's dynamite.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 28, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Oath and Triumph and Torment are also amazing Dr Strange stories

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other than the Steve Ditko stuff from the 1960s, the run on the Strange ongoing that I most often see recommended is Roger Stern's from the 1970s.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Into Shamballa and What is It That Disturbs You, Stephen? are both really interesting and off-beat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everyone already said the important ones but if you stumble upon a copy of this:

It makes a pretty good first impression.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You don't hear about this one much, but there was a run of "Strange Tales" in the '80s that I liked. Doc had just destroyed most of his powerful totems, and that was causing all kinds of problems that required shady moral choices.

Plus, Doc wears an eyepatch for part of it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Halloween Jack posted:

Looking back over my old notes, you're right; it's far bigger. In fact, It has almost as many issues as Civil War itself.

Edit: It's very strange to me that the Clone Saga is so goddamn big. Even most universe-wide crossovers didn't have half as many issues. How the hell did that happen?

Hey, here's a pretty informative video about the Clone Saga and how the whole thing became a train wreck by way of pissing contest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJRJNRqfh4

It is fascinating to see how bad it got, and how it got there, and why it took so long. There are no heroes in this story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Matt Fraction's Defenders isn't a solo Strange series, but it is a delight, and Strange plays a huge role.

Other than the first half of Hawkeye it might be my favorite thing I've read by Fraction.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't read it since it was coming out monthly. Is it good in one go? I remember the second half feeling really rushed and not enjoying it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh hey it's time for the next unscheduled reminder that Gerber's Defenders is a best run contender for every character involved including Doctor Strange.

Especially Chondu the Mystic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Other than the first half of Hawkeye it might be my favorite thing I've read by Fraction.

Second series of Casanova is pretty baller too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

I haven't read it since it was coming out monthly. Is it good in one go? I remember the second half feeling really rushed and not enjoying it.

Of Hawkeye? No I think once they split up and had that Kate in LA issue the comic was just not very good for the remainder. The delays may have actually made it seem better than it was since people were actually dying to read it at the time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The second half of Hawkeye had some pretty excellent issues like that silent Hawkeye issue, and the finale is baller as poo poo. The Kate in LA issues were still pretty good, just not as good as the first half, but Hawkeye really really really comes together at the end there.

For what it's worth, I read it all in one go my first time, so.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

X-O posted:

Of Hawkeye?

Sorry, meant Defenders.

I also need to reread Hawkguy. I didn't get how LA fit in with everything, despite loving the art.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Second series of Casanova is pretty baller too.

I love Casanova, but don't understand the end of the third series or how the fourth series ties in with anything. I'm stupid toward Fraction's metaphors.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Uthor posted:

Defenders is good in one go, but it doesn't change the back half feeling like two or three additional trades packed into four or five issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Defenders feels rushed in the second half because Matt Fraction had a plan for the whole story and no one bought it in single issues so he was told to make that story much shorter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Sorry, meant Defenders.

I also need to reread Hawkguy. I didn't get how LA fit in with everything, despite loving the art.

I honestly think the LA chapters were intended to give Aja time to draw his issues while keeping the comic on a regular schedule.

Needless to say, that didn't work out too well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

I love Casanova, but don't understand the end of the third series or how the fourth series ties in with anything. I'm stupid toward Fraction's metaphors.

I approach Casanova the same way I do Michael Moorcock's "Second Ether" books -- don't try to understand, just roll with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has Hulk ever fought Galactus or any of Celestials or any other cosmic power types?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Has Hulk ever fought Galactus or any of Celestials or any other cosmic power types?

He beat the poo poo out of the Silver Surfer once or twice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

He beat the poo poo out of the Silver Surfer once or twice.

To be fair, so has Black Panther.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
We don't talk about that.

The gently caress am I kidding, we talk about it all the time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

At one point during the CS there was a four month stretch where in excess of 16 different Spider-man comics came out each month.

Marvelution, the best business decision of them all!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I need to know more about the recent -ish run of moon knight with the painted like art style, where to get it. Same with Annihilation wave because jesus I still wanna read that but I think they stopped. Also my friend just introduced me to Ny-X!? WHAT IS THIS THING AND I NEED TO READ IT.