Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Oscar Wild posted:

Thanks, I'm going to start with amnesia, and then work through silent hill. Fatal Frame can slip to November or december.

For silent Hill 2 I've done the water and leave endings. I'm playing on a "new" version so should I go for the maria ending or just do the water ending again?

Is there a preferred ending to SH3?

you should do dog ending on sh2. i forgot that this actually requires multiple playthroughs as well, its been a while so go with maria

also sh3 only has one ending on a first playthrough iirc but if you don't mind redoing it, possessed ending is cool

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rafza posted:

you should do dog ending on sh2. i forgot that this actually requires multiple playthroughs as well, its been a while so go with maria

also sh3 only has one ending on a first playthrough iirc but if you don't mind redoing it, possessed ending is cool

I'd love to go dog, but I don't have the other endings yet, I'll do the other one. I didn't have trouble with the other two.

Edit; I've done the first dead space and it was freaking awesome. The new game plus however was dumb. It removed any danger from the bad guys.

I do also have soma and had forgotten about it. How long is soma?

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 28, 2016

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

Rafza posted:

best ending in sh3 is by far the ufo ending . better than any of the other endings by far.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oscar Wild posted:

I'd love to go dog, but I don't have the other endings yet, I'll do the other one. I didn't have trouble with the other two.

Edit; I've done the first dead space and it was freaking awesome. The new game plus however was dumb. It removed any danger from the bad guys.

I do also have soma and had forgotten about it. How long is soma?

Soma is... 8 to 12 hours.

Make time for it. It's an awesome game with fantastic story.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Play it instead of TDD, which stops being scary about 2 hours in and then wears the gently caress out of its welcome

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How Silent Hill 3 handles endings is different from how 2 handled it, it's not an objective series of events that lead to it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, SH 3 has two real endings and one joke ending (and a few interesting death cutscenes that could count as endings). And personally only one of the actual endings is good, while the joke UFO ending is entertaining.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Speedball posted:

How Silent Hill 3 handles endings is different from how 2 handled it, it's not an objective series of events that lead to it.
Not entirely different, there's a choice in the church that gives you a lot of points to get the bad ending, but the only way you can really get that ending is if you kill a lot of enemies plus that choice, which you're not going to probably be able to do your first time through. It's not really that good of an ending to begin with, its real short and isn't as good as 2's downer endings.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Play it instead of TDD, which stops being scary about 2 hours in and then wears the gently caress out of its welcome

:siren: WRONG OPINION ALERT:siren:

TDD is fantastic and pretty much defined the modern horror genre. It definitely does not stop being scary 2 hours in, it's very well paced. Try it for yourself and see!

Plus SOMA is very heavily iterative on TDD's design, playing the earlier game will help you appreciate the newer one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

the black husserl posted:

:siren: WRONG OPINION ALERT:siren:

TDD is fantastic and pretty much defined the modern horror genre. It definitely does not stop being scary 2 hours in, it's very well paced. Try it for yourself and see!

Plus SOMA is very heavily iterative on TDD's design, playing the earlier game will help you appreciate the newer one.

SOMA took out the sanity system, which is good, because it meant less time spent lying to the player in an attempt to convince them the derpy looking monsters are scarier than they actually are.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Every horror game is only as scary as their Stalker is defeatable. If the Stalker constantly defeats you, it's not scary. If the stalker is easily avoidable, it's not scary. If there's no stalker, there's no danger and it's not scary.

It's actually really difficult to make a horror game coem to think of it :(

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Danaru posted:

Every horror game is only as scary as their Stalker is defeatable. If the Stalker constantly defeats you, it's not scary. If the stalker is easily avoidable, it's not scary. If there's no stalker, there's no danger and it's not scary.

On the other hand, Anatomy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you defeat them too easily it's also not very scary for long, because then after a while it feels more like an action game than horror.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand, Anatomy.

The 'gradual breakdown/degradation of reality' trope is one I will never get tired of.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yardbomb posted:

If you defeat them too easily it's also not very scary for long, because then after a while it feels more like an action game than horror.

At the same time, the direct action of killing may not be the only horror. Take Resident Evil, for example. Killing a zombie with a gun is trivially easy most of the time. But having killed that zombie the fact that you know that you spent your only bullets on him and now there might be a worst monster right around the corner makes it scary. The anticipation of something more than the actual monster.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

isn't TDD the game where you can just keep holding a chair at arm's length and that keeps the naughty monsters away

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Danaru posted:

It's actually really difficult to make a horror game coem to think of it :(

Speaking of which, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games can get pretty spooky at times

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Speaking of which, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games can get pretty spooky at times

Yeah, when it was a new game, the X-series labs in STALKER were genuinely spooky as gently caress IMO. Especially the Poltergeist ones.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
STALKER series could also get pretty freaky in the open areas especially since so much unscripted stuff could happen and because night was so drat dark, even compared to most horror games. The first few nights in STALKER before I found some nightvision were unforgettable.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Heck one of the most unsettling moments in STALKER: SoC is seeing all the Stalker zombies and snorks roaming around Yantar off in the distance in broad daylight.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Saddest Rhino posted:

isn't TDD the game where you can just keep holding a chair at arm's length and that keeps the naughty monsters away

if you don't think that's scary you have a wrong opinion and we need to put an alert out on you

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There needs to be more honest attempts at making stupid B/C Movie like horror games. Someone needs to take Dead Rising's crown and just run like a moron with it in some other direction. Demons, rabies virus, going crazy and potentially becoming a serial killer, I don't care. I want more IllBleed or Troma style games.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
everybody play deadly premonition

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

VERY COOL MAN posted:

everybody play deadly premonition
Nah, that game is over-hyped, poorly made garbage. Instead go watch the second season of Twin Peaks or play Blues and Bullets, or anything else really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poorly made yes, garbage no.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Niggurath posted:

Nah, that game is over-hyped, poorly made garbage. Instead go watch the second season of Twin Peaks or play Blues and Bullets, or anything else really.

I like when an endangered weasel escapes at a stuffy dinner party

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Premonition

quote:

It has become known for its "headline making strangeness" and is considered one of the most critically polarising games of all-time (holding the Guinness World Record for most critically polarizing survival horror game), receiving both extremely negative and extremely positive reviews[2][3] and is seen by some as an example of games as art.[4]

I really enjoyed my time with Deadly Premonition, I played it in a room full of friends with drinks and stuff. You're gonna love it or hate it :shrug:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Does blues and bullets ha ve supernatural elements? I thought it was just noir

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Relin posted:

Does blues and bullets ha ve supernatural elements? I thought it was just noir
The second episode starts leaning into it. Apparently the devs are running out of money though so the game is probably to going to be unfinished. Shame, because it was good.

Also is DP is a fantastic game and a must play.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
For the grief that DS3 gets, the ship graveyard section was delightful.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I love Deadly Premonition but I have only really watched LPs of it and wouldn't do it any other way. The whole thing is a mess of confusing mechanics and begrudging combat. The story and soundtrack is amazing though.

Did they ever fix the PC port? I found some old videos of mine of the driving mechanics pitching an absolute fit

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 29, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Deadly Premonition is great, gently caress everyone.

vv: The way a game plays does not equal how good a game is. I'm sorry if nobody's ever told you this.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 29, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, PC version still runs like poo poo, PS3 version still runs like poo poo, 360 runs okay? but is missing extras because it was first.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i was going through last years shitstorm from 2bestfriends and i saw the video they did on white night, that weird black/white 60s detective game

has anyone beat it or played it extensively? it looks really goddamn cool and i was thinking about getting it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Deadly Premonition may be cheap-looking and poorly made, but it's extremely charming and unique. If you're looking for something a little different you could do a lot worse than Deadly Premonition.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anatomy was pretty great, played with a friend. Thank you for the suggestion, thread!

Playing Alien: Isolation now since I need to beat more of it and I've given up on it ever working in VR again, rumours be damned.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anyone have a link to Anatomy? I can't seem to find it. Unless it's this: https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/anatomy

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bogart posted:

Anyone have a link to Anatomy? I can't seem to find it. Unless it's this: https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/anatomy

It is that

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

boy are my arms tired posted:

this reminded me, story based horror game The Cat Lady is extremely good with a very weird, interesting art style

Cat Lady receives high praises but I thought it was flat out bad - not fun, not scary, and at times very unintentionally funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Deadly Premonition was all kinds of fun and while I have bad memories about the gameplay, I think it's just because I didn't get the radio until I used gamefaqs. That radio really is super critical.

Edit: I wish more game makers felt free to go absolutely batshit insane in their last act.