Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

All 3 or whatever of the kids cartoons that air on a network made for children are indeed media intended for children

So are the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

Alec Guinness's body language in his hut in ANH was either spot on or a huge coincidence. I would like to imagine he was told by Lucas, "You're really uncomfortable with telling Luke about Darth Vader and his father. Maybe pause before mentioning his dad or something, like you're hesitating for some reason."

And that performance then informs and is informed by the prequels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red posted:

Is the Clone Wars flick really a film, or 5 episodes mashed together?

4 episodes.

The actual story of why those particular episodes are a film is kinda cringeworthy. Lucas stopped in to the offices where the Clone Wars team was prepping this cool new show and basically said "We should have a theatrical release". And just like that, Filoni and crew have to scramble to find a story arc long enough to support a theatrical run time and smush episodes together to make it happen.

I honestly think Clone Wars would have been better received overall without the film. The animation style and technique was still in its early stages; later seasons look SO much better than earlier ones.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Alec Guinness's body language in his hut in ANH was either spot on or a huge coincidence. I would like to imagine he was told by Lucas, "You're really uncomfortable with telling Luke about Darth Vader and his father. Maybe pause before mentioning his dad or something, like you're hesitating for some reason."

I'm sure it was something along those lines, plus the fact that Guinness was such an amazing actor that he probably would have been looking to add nuance to any performance. He may have read the script and said to himself, "this information will lead to the complete destruction of Luke's life as he knows it, and things will never be the same for him once I tell him, so maybe my character would feel conflicted about it."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red posted:

Episode IV's points are are simple and basic.

Leia is a princess, representing the republic.

Ben fought in the clone wars long ago.

Han is a cocky a-hole who brags about a race or something.

Luke is a hick who shoots rats.

Imagine if the prequels were as simple and easy to follow.
After saying how Episode IV's points are simplistic and basic you then failed to list any of them.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

Who says Im pretending.

Plus a proactive woman character is good but its still in a loving childrens cartoon for babies not a film

I would argue that kids seeing strong female characters in their media is a good and important thing. But please do go on about you being such a mature adult who will never watch dumb cartoons for dumb babies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm sure people can be forgiven for not caring about the Star Wars cartoon movie or cartoon.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure it was something along those lines, plus the fact that Guinness was such an amazing actor that he probably would have been looking to add nuance to any performance. He may have read the script and said to himself, "this information will lead to the complete destruction of Luke's life as he knows it, and things will never be the same for him once I tell him, so maybe my character would feel conflicted about it."

That is a hell of a point I hadn't considered.

Schwarzwald posted:

After saying how Episode IV's points are simplistic and basic you then failed to list any of them.

Actually, I was responding to his bullet points, kind of.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

computer parts posted:

If anything ROTJ contradicts the rest of the OT more than the PT ever does.

"Oh yes, there's another Skywalker....and she's your sister! And the only woman with more than 5 minutes screen time in this series."

I wouldn't exactly call this a contradiction (although it is somewhat stupid).

THAT SAID, the telepathy between Leia and Luke at the end of TESB does sort of parallel the very clearly familial communication between Luke and Vader. So it's not completely out of left field.

Edit: For some reason I thought I was replying to something from the final page of the thread when in fact I was like 3 behind, so forgive me for dredging up the past.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

I would argue that kids seeing strong female characters in their media is a good and important thing. But please do go on about you being such a mature adult who will never watch dumb cartoons for dumb babies.

Dude come on. As an adult you should not be consuming media explicitly intended for kids, and kids alone

Star Wars films have the intent of broad appeal. Its for everyone.

If they intended the cartoons to be the same, they wouldnt be on children's tv networks

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Dude come on. As an adult you should not be consuming media explicitly intended for kids, and kids alone

What would you say about an adult who argues for many hours straight on an internet forum about Star Wars?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

and it has the absolute most dreadful start of any of the films in the series.

I'll come right out and say it: you're loving crazy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

What would you say about an adult who argues for many hours straight on an internet forum about Star Wars?

I have many things I should be doing but the shitposting cannot stop

It may be an irrational waste of time but fighting you prequel heathens is a hill I will always choose to die on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Im saying 2+2=4

Youre saying 2=4+2.

gently caress off with your Republican crap, ULSTER SAYS NO

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I have many things I should be doing but the shitposting cannot stop

It may be an irrational waste of time but fighting you prequel heathens is a hill I will always choose to die on

Have you considered the possibility that the prequels are great? They're pretty great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

If they intended the cartoons to be the same, they wouldnt be on children's tv networks

Star Wars, including the cartoons, is for everyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homullus posted:

Have you considered the possibility that the prequels are great? They're pretty great.

"EHHHHHHHHHH" - Watto

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Go over into the animation thread and tell people to stop watching children's cartoons. You'll have about as much success.

(Really the only bad consequence I've seen from adults watching children's shows is the whole Brony thing, which is less about the show itself and more the Geek Social Fallacies in action.)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

A show intended for kids and only kids:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
SICKKKKKKKK cool mmmmm-multi kill spinning decapitations are absolutely for cool teens who like ninja things and listening to Eminem and watching ISIS videos. Teens are children.

Phi230 posted:

No they are not. I dont care how many times you shout "canon" at me they are kids shows for babies.
All Star Wars are kids movies for babies.

Phi230 posted:

There are things called mandatory and persuasive authority.

ANYTHING that is not a star wars FILM is persuasive at best.

If there is a question the films do not answer, then you may use a fact from whatever EU trash to argue over but it still is not automatically true
None of it is true. All of it is fiction.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Two things: mandatory and persuasive authority are irrelevant because we are discussing Star Wars and not a legal problem

AND

you're complaining about people watching kids cartoons in a Star Wars thread on an internet forum that costs $10 to register an account after whining a whole bunch about how a trilogy of popular movies ruined your life, stop a dumb baby hypocrite

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cardboard Box A posted:

SICKKKKKKKK cool mmmmm-multi kill spinning decapitations are absolutely for cool teens who like ninja things and listening to Eminem and watching ISIS videos. Teens are children.

How about when Clone Wars went full Vietnam:
https://fat.gfycat.com/DearestUnfoldedBass.webm

Just because it's a medium for kids doesn't mean it can't explore more mature tones or themes. And narrative elements like the emotional arc of Ahsoka's character spanning across several seasons of shows culminating into a duel with her former master goes beyond what any old regular Saturday morning cartoon offers imo. Even "kids shows" these days can be part of this current golden age of television.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

One of the worst things about the prequels was 'ALL JEDI, ALL THE TIME'. Like, zero break from Jedi stuff. I mean, I guess I thought Han Solo's everyman appeal to connect to the audience was clear, but maybe not.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Cardboard Box A posted:

I'm amazed you had the self-control to not say "edgy".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red posted:

One of the worst things about the prequels was 'ALL JEDI, ALL THE TIME'. Like, zero break from Jedi stuff. I mean, I guess I thought Han Solo's everyman appeal to connect to the audience was clear, but maybe not.

More than just "all Jedi," it's "all aristocracy, all the time." Most of the major characters, and especially those aligned with the Republic, have some sort of title or faux title. Even Jar Jar, the pariah, and Anakin, the slave, are welcomed into the fold after they prove their value to the establishment. The exceptions are the characters aligned with the Trade Federation and the Seperatists, who are largely business people who's power is in their material wealth and not in any perceived inherent nobility. In that sense, the prequel conflict can be framed as a clash between the landed gentry and the merchant class.

Contrast this with the original trilogy, where instead of having a slave being uplifted into the ruling class, we have a princess who's first action as a free woman is to find the nearest cesspool and dive in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

More than just "all Jedi," it's "all aristocracy, all the time." Most of the major characters, and especially those aligned with the Republic, have some sort of title or faux title. Even Jar Jar, the pariah, and Anakin, the slave, are welcomed into the fold after they prove their value to the establishment. The exceptions are the characters aligned with the Trade Federation and the Seperatists, who are largely business people who's power is in their material wealth and not in any perceived inherent nobility. In that sense, the prequel conflict can be framed as a clash between the landed gentry and the merchant class.

Contrast this with the original trilogy, where instead of having a slave being uplifted into the ruling class, we have a princess who's first action as a free woman is to find the nearest cesspool and dive in.

Subtext is neat, but only works well if the story and dialogue on top are genuine and intriguing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red posted:

Subtext is neat, but only works well if the story and dialogue on top are genuine and intriguing.

Story and dialogue have nothing to do with the prequels being all Jedi all the time.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Schwarzwald posted:

It's "all aristocracy, all the time," in a series of films in which the aristocrats send millions of slaves to their deaths in a pointless war and transform the Republic into a fascist state.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCvM1gu0J3c

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoran posted:

It's "all aristocracy, all the time," in a series of films in which the aristocrats send millions of slaves to their deaths in a pointless war and transform the Republic into a fascist state.

Yes, exactly.

One of Palpatine's insights that allows him to take control of the Republic is that for all it's claims of moral superiority, the aristocrats of the republic are only too happy to throw absolutely everyone else under the bus to serve their own self interests. This includes the Seperatists, the Clone Troopers, the Jedi, and Senators Amidala and Organa.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 29, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
God I wish there was a Moby Dick prequel all about Starbuck's indiscretions, Queequeg's incredible adventures before shacking up with the Pequod, and the true story of Ahab's pitiful and sympathetic discharge from the Navy due to his love affair with another man which is ultimately the source of his true "madness" with the whale as a cover. It would totally invert all of the assumptions that Melville sets up in Moby Dick against the wishes of his most ardent originalist fanbase.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's nothing more engaging to look at than an ordinary looking bearded white guy standing in front of an empty backdrop, speaking monotonously about whatever.

I hate what youtube's done to "documentary-style" filmmaking.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Story and dialogue have nothing to do with the prequels being all Jedi all the time.

But they have everything to do with how bad the films are.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Red posted:

What is wrong with the story? In the prequels, in which we knew in advance the Republic would fall and the Jedi Knights would be wiped out, both of those things happen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

Can you expand on this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well duh everyone knows they are bad.

It's consensus !

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I hate the way the Ewok's triumph undermines the terror that Stormtroopers used to elicit before I saw ROTJ and realized they were feckless idiots. Lucas ruined ANH and ESB for me.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I just can't understand how anyone can enjoy spending their viewing time watching that loving take on Anakin. It may not be an accident that he's an arrogant, creepy, petulant abusic gently caress, but it doesn't make for enjoyable screen time, and it certainly doesn't make for a compelling tragedy when he falls from grace. He starts out a terrible shithead and he ends up a shithead.

After Ep1, you don't see him be anything other than a sulky little pissbaby for a moment. "Theres still good in him" says Luke? Motherfucker, that's news to me, I never saw it in the first place.

I don't hate everything about the prequels. There are some fun ideas scattered around, but my god, every time that rear end in a top hat is on screen it just bleeds the movie dry, particularly, by god, the romance that shits all over the middle of ep2.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Serf posted:

Can you expand on this?

Am I really going to change your mind? I flat out don't enjoy them. They're difficult to watch, especially scenes involving Jar Jar or "romance".

My biggest gripe is that the films just show us character types that move from point A to point B. Characters don't struggle with emotion, or grow across an arc. At no point did I feel tension, or worry for the characters' fate. I just had to make it through the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The thing about Anakin in AOTC is that he is a whiny pissbaby, but he's the most annoying kind of whiny pissbaby, because his complaints about his mentors are usually right.

Red posted:

Characters don't struggle with emotion, or grow across an arc

Uh

• Locked thread