Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJd_VjqTu0&t=145s

I'm not sure if epoxy floors everywhere is awesome or cringe-worthy, thoughts?

Epoxy is pretty awesome. I'd do it everywhere, if it would not be utterly freezing in the winter due to a slab foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

baquerd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJd_VjqTu0&t=145s

I'm not sure if epoxy floors everywhere is awesome or cringe-worthy, thoughts?

It's a shop.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

It's a shop.

If you watched the video for ~10 seconds you'd see they'd done the entire house sans the office with a different color epoxy.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh wait, this isn't the bachelor thread now, is it...

Nah. Pissing off the patio was easier.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nuevo posted:

If you watched the video for ~10 seconds you'd see they'd done the entire house sans the office with a different color epoxy.

Oh my god that is disgustingly shiny. Footprints would show up immediately.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh my god that is disgustingly shiny. Footprints would show up immediately.

Hopefully they like area rugs. Lots and lots of area rugs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Yes but when you and your wife are separated but not in a legal sense because of tax purposes, where will the other of you stay? :ohdear:

She can have the house, and I'll live in the fully furnished suite above the carriage house. :colbert:

Burt Sexual posted:

I like it :shrug: people are too serious. It'd take 500$ to replace with poo poo linolioum if that your deal.

If it had a good layer of epoxy over it rather than (as they say in the description) polyurethane, I'd be okay with it. That floor is going to be a wreck the first time they have to move an appliance.

Bozart posted:

She can call the town zoning board to see if they have violated any code (such as setback) or not permitted work which could be dangerous, if for example the retaining wall cannot support the weight of those bricks. On the other hand trespass would require her to actually tell the guys that they shouldn't be there and please leave, after which if they stay it is trespass. Usually the town wants people to have access to maintain their property so they might say the workers being there is ok, but maybe your mom could delay it awhile (and make it cost more) with a lawyer or something. In any case if they are going onto her property and putting things there she should have a talk with both her neighbor and the guy in charge of the workers to make sure that anything that is damaged is repaired, and she should take pictures of things that are. Then if they don't fix it she could call her homeowner's insurance and they'll subrogate.

This is why most places won't let you build up to within an inch of your property line, so you don't automatically create a need for an easement from your neighbor to access the property you've just walled yourself off from being able to maintain. If they pulled a permit for that, I'll be shocked.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 29, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah its become apparent that no one was notified other than the contractors handling that extension. Guy's in some poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NancyPants posted:

Immediately after surgery, almost none. About a year or two out he could just about grasp well enough to hold a shirt to fold it with the other hand but could not make a first. I would be very surprised if he could type with it today after 10 years. He skipped a lot of occupational therapy initially.
I severed a finger in high school chemistry when a glass tube shattered in my hand. All the muscle and nerves were sliced off, but the bone and skin on top of the finger kept it together. It took me about 10 years before I had a semblance of full mobility in that finger again, and 22 years later I still don't have full sense of feel in it and occasionally get phantom pains. Nerves take forever to heal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

House of unmitigated filth.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9kUK3

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Reminds me of the disgusting saga of Shay, which was related to how I discovered these here forums, though I don't remember exactly how.

http://shiroioji.livejournal.com/114944.html

http://shiroioji.livejournal.com/129351.html

http://shiroioji.livejournal.com/129918.html

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Hopefully not a repeat

http://www.deckmagazine.com/design-construction/a-deck-built-to-fail_o posted:

Figure 1. Even with concrete footings below, a 2x8 on the flat does not qualify as a beam.

But because a 2x8 on the flat isn't much of a beam, the inner piers weren't really supporting anything. That meant the outer three piers and the ledger were holding up three stories of deck loads. Some quick math gives us the load on the piers: 16 feet x 4 feet (half the deck's depth) x 50 pounds per square foot (psf) combined live and dead loads = 3,200 pounds per floor. That multiplied by three floors is a total load of 9,600 pounds, which divided by three piers is a load of 3,200 pounds per pier. A 12-inch-diameter pier provides bearing area of 113 square inches, and in average, 2,500-psf-bearing soils, one can carry 1,950 pounds - far short of 3,200 pounds. This deck was in trouble.

Figure 5. Non-corrosion-resistant nails are inadequate for this connection, no matter how many are used.

Although the owner now has a building permit to install a properly built multi-story deck, no remediation work has been performed to date. My last conversation with the owner stipulated that prompt corrective action is needed and that he can't wait for reimbursement from the state. His immediate choices are fixing the deck or removing it; otherwise, the city will initiate court action that would include a fine, deck removal by a city-hired contractor, and a lien on the property.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I like how nobody wanted to do proper railing with spindles, so they just mailed up a bunch of random two by somethings

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seriously thought at first that that deck was made out of a bunch of pallets.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Structurally speaking, a stack of pallets would be an improvement.

Aesthetically speaking, as well.

And pretty much any other way of speaking.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You laugh, but I lost an uncle to an improperly fused carpet

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Don't be hating on heated carpets.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

At least they have enough amperage to control all those pesky Mooters.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

sadus posted:

Hopefully not a repeat

It mentions not waiting for a reimbursement from the state. What would the state be reimbursing that idiot for?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Idiot fucks up his perfectly good hardwood floor to create a pallet-wall combination fire hazard out of the cheapest home depot wood possible, reddit congratulates him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/552cpe/i_built_this_partition_wall_in_my_living_room_to/

https://imgur.com/gallery/VY3gA

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

ohgodwhat posted:

It mentions not waiting for a reimbursement from the state. What would the state be reimbursing that idiot for?
It's in the article:

quote:

Because he had a signed contract with a licensed contractor, the owner applied for reimbursement from the state contractor's fund, which provides up to $15,000 to remedy unfinished jobs or poor workmanship. The money comes from a "home improvement licensing fee" attached to every building permit issued in Connecticut. The state will aggressively seek repayment from the contractor who did the work.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ohgodwhat posted:

quote:

Because he had a signed contract with a licensed contractor, the owner applied for reimbursement from the state contractor's fund, which provides up to $15,000 to remedy unfinished jobs or poor workmanship. The money comes from a "home improvement licensing fee" attached to every building permit issued in Connecticut. The state will aggressively seek repayment from the contractor who did the work.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

armoredgorilla posted:

Idiot fucks up his perfectly good hardwood floor to create a pallet-wall combination fire hazard out of the cheapest home depot wood possible, reddit congratulates him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/552cpe/i_built_this_partition_wall_in_my_living_room_to/

My coworker used to show me stuff from that forum and I had to laugh at most of the stuff either being inefficient or dangerous as hell

"But he got 1000 upvotes!!"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lmao

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

moist turtleneck posted:

My coworker used to show me stuff from that forum and I had to laugh at most of the stuff either being inefficient or dangerous as hell

"But he got 1000 upvotes!!"

Even better when someone in the comments points out how bad/dangerous it is and the response is basically "well I like it this way. :smugbert: Downvote."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

It could only be better by being actual reclaimed pallet wood.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Captain Cool posted:

It's in the article:
A contractor did that?!?!?! :confused: :aaaaa:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NancyPants posted:

It could only be better by being actual reclaimed pallet wood.

If he'd just stacked up some lovely pallets Pinterest would have pissed itself in jealousy.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bad Munki posted:

A contractor did that?!?!?! :confused: :aaaaa:

A licensed contractor did that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ashcans posted:

I can't decide if this is worse than the penny tiling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgTAjsjLpVk

I'm a big fan of the top comment with the guy bitter that he got pinched for dealing ecstasy, meanwhile these FELONS get away with 10,000 crimes for a home improvement project.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I'm a big fan of the top comment with the guy bitter that he got pinched for dealing ecstasy, meanwhile these FELONS get away with 10,000 crimes for a home improvement project.

For a second, thought you were talking about the deck.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was at a street party at an IT conference last night and we were up on a deck above a bar. I thought about this thread and moved to safer ground.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...424d_story.html

That quality is probably fine, but the general neighborhood fygm attitude makes it work.
TL;dr is a builder is spiting his neighbors with a barely legal garage inches from their newly renovated kitchen window.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bondematt posted:

A licensed contractor did that.
In PA a difference between one and the other is $400. Don't think just because they've managed a 2 page application and signed a check, they will do a better job.

I hope there is an actual box behind that faceplate and not a square sized hole. I like that wall, actually. It lets light in and could very much be needed if there is no other place to place a television. There are ways to build it as a temporary structure with minimum damage to walls and ceilings. However, the reddit guy did a permanent install, which is ill advised, but oh well. I'd let my tenants get away with it, at the expense of their security deposit.

Also, the penny floor/surface can work great, as long as there is enough poly on top. As evidenced by cardboard floor people, if you have enough poly, what's underneath is juts a matter of aesthetics. I'd polish the poo poo out of those coins tho

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm a big fan that he decided to notch the wall stud instead of just cutting the moulding on the wall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol the back of that wall

gj guy

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nitrox posted:

In PA a difference between one and the other is $400. Don't think just because they've managed a 2 page application and signed a check, they will do a better job.

Note to self: Do not move to PA.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Did he do that entire thing with toenailed drywall screws? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FCKGW posted:

I'm a big fan that he decided to notch the wall stud instead of just cutting the moulding on the wall.
Yeah, that's a great touch. 'If I cut around the trim, I can always remove the wall later! [Screws sill plate into hardwood flooring]'