Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will most definitely have to. Thanks for the heads up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

Am I forgetting something, or is it odd to call out the villains as where Marvel does this, considering they've done it with just one: Loki? Because it seems like they mostly do the opposite, just throwing the villains away rather than having them cross over. The other recurring villain I can think of is Crossbones, but he stayed in the Captain America line, which is just a recurring villain in a sequel, which happens all the time (Lex Luthor, Scarecrow, etc.).

Yeah, they do the same thing most of the time. I only brought up the villains because that's about the only thing I distinctly remember people complaining about when it came to reoccurring characters. Loki being the villain of the team up movie was kind of a big deal. And considering he is probably the objectively best villain the MCU has.

And they haven't killed Red Skull. They just lost the actor. Oh and Zemo is still kickin too!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do hope that Daniel Bruhl does get to do more. He's a cooler actor than the MCU deserves (ditto Paul Bettany) and I was disappointed by how ancilliary he felt in the movie despite his "important" puppetmaster role. Daniel Brühlz

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, they do the same thing most of the time. I only brought up the villains because that's about the only thing I distinctly remember people complaining about when it came to reoccurring characters. Loki being the villain of the team up movie was kind of a big deal. And considering he is probably the objectively best villain the MCU has.

And they haven't killed Red Skull. They just lost the actor. Oh and Zemo is still kickin too!

They recast all the time and he was in full prosthetic/CGI mask though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Loki crossing over was neat and made sense given how otherworldly Thor was compared to some versions. Didn't really get how the character got there in his motivation between Thor 1 and Avengers, through, but haven't watched either in some time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think he was just super jealous of Thor's love for Earth and it's people. I like Loki because he's petty as gently caress.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah there was a weird slip in the quality of the action directing between Winter Soldier and Civil War, it wasn't film-ruining for me but it was noticeable enough that I almost thought they changed up the editor or the cinematographer but, nope, exact same team.

They brought on the John Wick guys to do some choreography, so it's possible that despite them being excellent at making their own action movie, they were a poor fit for the rest of the team?

Anyway, I was gonna praise the action in the opening scene of Winter Soldier when Cap's securing the top deck of the boat, but I just looked it up and it's a lot choppier than I remember? The video I found was an official Marvel preview clip so maybe something got butchered in the editing there

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

They brought on the John Wick guys to do some choreography, so it's possible that despite them being excellent at making their own action movie, they were a poor fit for the rest of the team?

Anyway, I was gonna praise the action in the opening scene of Winter Soldier when Cap's securing the top deck of the boat, but I just looked it up and it's a lot choppier than I remember? The video I found was an official Marvel preview clip so maybe something got butchered in the editing there

There are some very cool long shots in that scene when it's just tracking Cap along the boat, great use of the geography of the setting which is something I always look for in action movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it was a bit odd that they did a lackluster stair fight scene where Bucky was effortlessly blowing through dozens of anti-terrorist cops and Steve was running back and forth trying to make sure the cops weren't killed almost like it was a slapstick comedy just after the Netflix Daredevil show had done a really tense stair fight scene where an exhausted and desperate Daredevil was fighting for his life against overwhelming odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CvkiPS5Ks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember being emotionally tired after that stair fight. It's so good!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Burkion posted:

I will most definitely have to. Thanks for the heads up

It's on Netflix.

When you are done, get your hands on the original Killzone SPL which is a nasty piece of work that's as nihilistic as Killzone 2 is optimistic (and a great actioner).

Put them back to back, you've got a hell of an HK twofer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Darko posted:

The Rocketeer, which is the template every Marvel movie is based on, is better than every Marvel movie.

Even better, the outcome of most Marvel movies are the nazis winning at the end of Rocketeer. The big nazi payoff in Rocketeer was "we'll build a poo poo load of these rocket packs!" The big antagonist payoff in a lot of the Marvel movies is basically "let's build a poo poo load of iron mans!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

I honestly found most of the fight sequences in Civil War to be barely watchable especially the very beginning. The Airport fight was good and the fight at the end were fine but the beginning is loving awful.

Action movies directed by a pair of sitcom directors wind up having rough-looking action scenes, sky blue, water wet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

One of the most important things about an action scene is that you care about who's punching whom. So in the end, I'm okay with the bad action scene.

That being said, the Russo's actually shot better action scenes in Community, so I think it's just the style they chose to do the Cap movies in. Some kind of weird, Bourn like thing where the camera is shakey and in your face. You can see the style of action change up once the film gets farther away from Cap though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Winter Soldier has that knife fight and it's really good.

Although the impeccable sound design and a couple of iconic shots are probably responsible for that.

(the new Bourne movie is absolute poo poo btw - the shakycam thing is fuckin' done-zo.)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it was a bit odd that they did a lackluster stair fight scene where Bucky was effortlessly blowing through dozens of anti-terrorist cops and Steve was running back and forth trying to make sure the cops weren't killed almost like it was a slapstick comedy just after the Netflix Daredevil show had done a really tense stair fight scene where an exhausted and desperate Daredevil was fighting for his life against overwhelming odds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CvkiPS5Ks
Huh wow, that impresses me a lot more than that Oldboy-aping clip a lot of people like to share from the first season. Maybe I need to get on this show, it'd be the first comic book tv show I'd actually check out. Although I hear people say mixed things about the second season
Either way I'll definitely check out Luke Cage. That looks pretty on point

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Huh wow, that impresses me a lot more than that Oldboy-aping clip a lot of people like to share from the first season. Maybe I need to get on this show, it'd be the first comic book tv show I'd actually check out. Although I hear people say mixed things about the second season

The second season gets bogged down with entirely too much bullshit about ninjas (which was thankfully confined to only one episode in the first season) and it has entirely too little Vincent D'Onofrio, but there's still a lot of good in there. Bernthal as the Punisher is amazing, and I think the action choreography is much stronger than in the first season. That being said, I think the late change in showrunners probably hampered the second season creatively.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WB and Toho just hired Takashi Miike and probably needs actors that can do sexy poses [To Be Continued]

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

HO BOY :suspense:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jenny Angel posted:

This is literally it. The Russo's were so busy concentrating on the airport battle and final fight that they brought in the John Wick guys to choreograph the other action scenes with various levels of freedom. The one they had the most leeway with was the opening fight from start to the explosion. It's all explained on the blu-ray extras.

So, make of that what you will.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean, I guess they could try to adapt the comic. It was pretty stupid and meta though. It's basically like, TYLER'S BACK AND HE'S A MEMETIC GENETIC VIRUS AND MAYBE ALSO THE CONCEPT OF EVIL ITSELF ALSO HI I'M CHUCK PALAHNIUK AND I EXIST IN THIS, SO DOES THE MOVIE ACTUALLY
it ends with Tyler Durden blowing Chuck Palahniuk's brains out though, so that's satisfying

...sounds like Palahniuk's been playing some Metal Gear Solid lately. :stare:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There are some very cool long shots in that scene when it's just tracking Cap along the boat, great use of the geography of the setting which is something I always look for in action movies.

That's exactly what I liked about it when I saw it in theaters, but there was less of it than I remembered when I looked it up. I still think there's enough to visually link Cap's impersonal, indefatigable wide-shot run to his effortless lapping of Falcon in the scene that follows, and really that's what matters

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As someone who's pretty critical of the Marvel movies, I'll add that I really think Winter Soldier's action scenes stand out. It's one of the few MCU movies I've rewatched. I think the soundtrack is pretty good, too, especially the tense Winter Soldier music.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

This is much better than the little league Oldboy poo poo, but I'm still iffy on how much it relies on geographic chicanery with its camerawork. The camera's constantly moving around in order to obscure dudes that he's just taken out or dudes that he's about to take out in a way that keeps you from getting any grounding in what the threat to our boy Matt actually looks like. Which like, I get that that's not entirely a bad thing for a character defined in part by his unique relationship to perception, but it's still this very transparently choreographed piece where everyone's jumping out of their monster closets and into frame at the exact point that Daredevil needs them to

But yeah, there are a lot of very solid shots in this, e.g. the guy ramming open the door to the stairwell area, or the other guy taking a chain-assisted plunge over the railing

EDIT: Also if you're gonna be doing this ostentatious few-cuts poo poo, make sure to choose the cuts you do use more wisely, because they become that more distracting when there are so few of them

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 29, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jenny Angel posted:

This is much better than the little league Oldboy poo poo, but I'm still iffy on how much it relies on geographic chicanery with its camerawork. The camera's constantly moving around in order to obscure dudes that he's just taken out or dudes that he's about to take out in a way that keeps you from getting any grounding in what the threat to our boy Matt actually looks like.

Yeah one of the nicer moments in the fight was when he walks into a new corridor and there's a brand new set of guys to fight and he has to take a moment before continuing. It was a nice grounding moment.

But there's also the Punisher prison fight from later in the same season where there was nowhere to hide the dudes he'd already taken out and nowhere to run so things get really messy really quickly.

Edit: changed the inset video to a link, the thumbnail was kind of a spoiler for the scene.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...sounds like Palahniuk's been playing some Metal Gear Solid lately. :stare:

Or power reading through the Dark Tower.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

But there's also the Punisher prison fight from later in the same season where there was nowhere to hide the dudes he'd already taken out and nowhere to run so things get really messy really quickly.

I dropped Daredevil S2 because the Elektra stuff lost me, but... :stare: holy poo poo that was awesome

ruddiger posted:

Or power reading through the Dark Tower.

The "genetic memetic virus" stuff is making me think more MGS, like he decided to make Tyler Durden into FOXDIE or something.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

JOJO! I kinda wish they'd done one of the earlier arcs...just a personal preference I guess

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dropped Daredevil S2 because the Elektra stuff lost me, but... :stare: holy poo poo that was awesome

Those two plots are so schizophrenic. I'd rather they just picked one and fleshed it out more over an entire season.

The Marvel Netflix shows are definitely the best thing Marvel is doing, though. Jessica Jones isn't as good at staged action, but is goddamn excellent as a character and thematic exploration. And my level of hype for Luke Cage is goddamn ridiculous...poo poo looks great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Xealot posted:

Those two plots are so schizophrenic. I'd rather they just picked one and fleshed it out more over an entire season.

The Marvel Netflix shows are definitely the best thing Marvel is doing, though. Jessica Jones isn't as good at staged action, but is goddamn excellent as a character and thematic exploration. And my level of hype for Luke Cage is goddamn ridiculous...poo poo looks great.
Final trailer is so good can't wait to binge watch it Friday night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snJ-nRgx8o0
If nothing else the soundtrack and score will amazing

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

JOJO! I kinda wish they'd done one of the earlier arcs...just a personal preference I guess

A Jojo movie directed by Takeshi Miike is going to be loving insane.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Daredevil also has a very explicit no kill rule. Until of course he hangs that guy with the chain and breaks his neck or of course when he brains that dude on a rock on the ground.

Not my dare devil.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ruddiger posted:

A Jojo movie directed by Takeshi Miike is going to be loving insane.

I was let down by Ace Attorney but I remain endlessly hopeful

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

achillesforever6 posted:

If nothing else the soundtrack and score will amazing

It looks like they've put in a gigantic effort to ground the series in Harlem history and culture and they brought in a ton of guys to work on the soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmcur3INOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvMgsUOmXk

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I actually kind of envy the guy. Imagine being able to say this:

seems blissful

ANY genre

VERY unique

You should envy me.

I realize I overstated my position, so, sorry guys. Personally I am a nerd baby that enjoys superheroes more than other kinds of movies. I enjoy the fidelity to world-building/continuity, all the crossovers, the serial nature of the movies, etc. - things which make them bad to other people. I do like Batman 89, Raimi Spider-Man 1 and 2, and the Nolan Batsmen, but when I rewatch them I run into the issue of Not My Spider-Man (or Green Goblin or Doc Ock) and Not My Batman (or Joker.) I've never really liked Superman, which is probably why I like Man of Steel. And I do love Rocketeer.

Anyway, I think what I'm getting at is that I feel like the MCU movies are good adaptations of comics (not necessarily just Marvel, but as a medium,) though I acknowledge that they're not technically the best movies from a film perspective. I care a lot more about the characters, which is something I think they get right.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just remember, that action scene where Daredevil brutally murderizes those people comes at the tail end of a season-long existential crisis where Murdock AGONIZES over the possibility that he might kill people. He doesn't want to kill anyone. He goes to war with Punisher killing literal mob bosses with more deaths on their hands than a west-african child warlord. The entire season 2 away from Punisher is just so hokey and under-cooked and there are WAY too many loving boring ninja bullshit (who the gently caress makes NINJAS boring?)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

It looks like they've put in a gigantic effort to ground the series in Harlem history and culture and they brought in a ton of guys to work on the soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVmcur3INOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMvMgsUOmXk
I'm always up for more score from the guy who did The Black Dynamite score

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Daredevil's no kill rule is more like a guideline. He makes a huge deal about not killing people if at all possible, but then he kills a bunch of people when he has to and doesn't feel bad about it at all. He has a no-kill diet, but gets in a cheat day.

Also, some of those guys he doesn't kill probably wish they were dead after what he does to them.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Daredevil's no kill rule is more like a guideline. He makes a huge deal about not killing people if at all possible, but then he kills a bunch of people when he has to and doesn't feel bad about it at all. He has a no-kill diet, but gets in a cheat day.

Also, some of those guys he doesn't kill probably wish they were dead after what he does to them.
Nah DD feels awful because he's the most Catholic person to ever Catholic; he's Catholic Guilt personified, which is why I relate to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Season 2 Daredevil kinda felt like that Superman story where he beats Bizzaro to death while crying. Like, if he tries not to kill people but knows that he's going to inevitably kill dudes by his very violent nature, then cool, and if he even feels sorry that he's killed then that's cool too. But he's just all "WHY GOD WHY DO THEY HAVE TO DIE!!! OH GOD THEY"RE DYING OH LORD JESUS SPARE ME DON"T LET THEM DIE ANY MORE I"M DROPPING TO MY KNEES AND SHOUTING TO THE SKY!!!!" and then in between episodes of that bullshit he's back to beating people to death.

I still recommend people watch it if only to see everything Punisher. :allears: Man, he was fantastic.

• Locked thread