Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

GreenNight posted:

No you wouldn't.

you don't know me man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Our sister company which rents a rack in our datacenter has a server with two out of three disks failed. I assume its a RAID-5 and the server is displaying a sad POST screen, but I don't know because their KVM switch let the metaphorical blue smoke out a while ago. The label on it suggests it's a domain controller. Nobody has asked me for access to the room to check on it, so either it wasn't in use or they have no monitoring and have no idea it's dead. :v:

(I did tell them a long time ago it had a failed disk, which I guess was promptly forgotten/ignored)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

If someone said to me "hey qq" to mean "hey quick question" I'd probably punch them in the face

qq more newb

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Collateral Damage posted:

Our sister company which rents a rack in our datacenter has a server with two out of three disks failed.
Did you qq?

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Nothing to see here

Dreyvas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 29, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like it was past time to start job hunting hardcore.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Someone said this to me on IM for the first time today and thanks to this thread being so loving topical I actually figured it out. What a ridiculous abbreviation.

Since starting at [large financial institution] a few weeks ago, my least favorite corporate slang is now "from a xxxx perspective". That word gets said 237678 times per meeting. STOP.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Dark Helmut posted:

my least favorite corporate slang is now "from a xxxx perspective"

quote:

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My financial institution loves the word "showstopper". Everything is a potential showstopper. If something in scope might not come through, meetings are held to determine if that feature or function is a showstopper. Somebody can't make a deadline, is this a showstopper? Is our use of showstopper a showstopper?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My financial institution loves the word "showstopper". Everything is a potential showstopper. If something in scope might not come through, meetings are held to determine if that feature or function is a showstopper. Somebody can't make a deadline, is this a showstopper? Is our use of showstopper a showstopper?

When I worked in QA we used that term quite a lot, as it had actual meaning, as if we found a big enough bug, it would prevent the device being shipped, so a 'showstopper'

However, the term 'sunsetted' was also used a lot - to mean retiring/no longer supporting an older device / software release. Used to make my ears itch.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Never heard the qq thing before. I ran into the use of @ in email subjects to signify that the entire message is in the subject. Apparently it's widespread enough that it snuck itself into our "communication style guide".

Why you wouldn't just use IM I don't know. We even have two of them.

... Because the two main bodies of this sprawling clusterfuck of a company can never agree on anything, that's why. Same reason we have two separate AD domains, and any minor task which requires coordination between teams on separate sides of the trenches takes several months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dark Helmut posted:

Someone said this to me on IM for the first time today and thanks to this thread being so loving topical I actually figured it out. What a ridiculous abbreviation.

Since starting at [large financial institution] a few weeks ago, my least favorite corporate slang is now "from a xxxx perspective". That word gets said 237678 times per meeting. STOP.

This, as well as filling a sentence with redundant "effectively"s before making a statement, and thinking that "my gut instinct is" carries any sort of weight vs. evidence based reasoning.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

This, as well as filling a sentence with redundant "effectively"s before making a statement, and thinking that "my gut instinct is" carries any sort of weight vs. evidence based reasoning.

Gut instinct is one of those things where it can be really good or really terrible. Good managers, especially, don't always have all of the information and can still make useful decisions based on their experience and what information they have.

Terrible managers use gut instinct as a shield. One of my pet peeves is when "the gut" tells them to do something and it's a blatantly obvious way for them to justify helping whatever their judging metric is. "I'm sorry. My gut tells me that if this happens, it'll be a cluster gently caress." is actually "I'm sorry. If this happens, it would increase my costs - the only thing the company judges me on - in the short term which I absolutely can't ever do if I'm to get my bonus."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
nippon q queue

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Never heard the qq thing before. I ran into the use of @ in email subjects to signify that the entire message is in the subject. Apparently it's widespread enough that it snuck itself into our "communication style guide".

Why you wouldn't just use IM I don't know. We even have two of them.

... Because the two main bodies of this sprawling clusterfuck of a company can never agree on anything, that's why. Same reason we have two separate AD domains, and any minor task which requires coordination between teams on separate sides of the trenches takes several months.

At my last job people did a lot of subject-only emails, ending them with "EOM" (end of message). Never seen that, or subject-only mail for that matter, anywhere else.

There were a bunch of ex military guys in their 40's, always wondered if it came from them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BEGIN TRANSMISSION

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
//SGT Assbutt
//Towels NCOIC
//43rd Laundry Detachment
//OIF 1,3,5,7
//GCM, ARCOM, GWOT
//"Repsect the rank, not the man." - Gen Dwight D Isenhower

Thanks for not printing this email!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Someone on LinkedIn just used the term "duedil".

As in "the person hasn't done their duedil".

:bang:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ask them if they are a dildough

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

"doing your duedil" sounds like babyspeak for taking a dump.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

"doing your duedil" sounds like babyspeak for taking a dump.

I will now use "due diligence" as my preferred euphemism for making GBS threads at work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

doo dilligence

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Excuse me, I have to doodle.

EDIT: Poo diligence? Poodle?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

Someone on LinkedIn just used the term "duedil".

I'm reading that as pronounced "doy-dul" as in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 29, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I like the term "On ice".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I like the term "gently caress all y'all I'm going home."

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

I like the term "gently caress all y'all I'm going home."

That one's my favorite.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh fun I get to update iLO on the new servers we just installed, haven't done it before, is it pretty seamless?

http://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2016-4375/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

oh fun I get to update iLO on the new servers we just installed, haven't done it before, is it pretty seamless?

http://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2016-4375/
I still need to update servers running iLO 2, and the trick there is to use Firefox. iLO 3 and iLO 4 are pretty simple as long as you have the username/password. It doesn't even bring the host down, so you could potentially do it right now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

anthonypants posted:

I still need to update servers running iLO 2, and the trick there is to use Firefox. iLO 3 and iLO 4 are pretty simple as long as you have the username/password. It doesn't even bring the host down, so you could potentially do it right now.

Change management

but yeah thanks for the info, updating firmware on devices that I do not have physical access to is a harrowing experience because if stuff doesn't go well it's a nightmare.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Murphy's Law is invoked by an equation involving the importance of a the device you're doing a firmware upgrade on, and the time.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Ignite chat: two things I've noticed.

Microsoft has gotten the hint that their clients are not moving to SharePoint 2016 or SPOnline anytime soon. They have added bunch of new hybrid features for SP2013.

They are getting closer to replacing InfoPath as their form tool with the new PowerApps and Flow. Still some sticking points (no fat client / offline option and no way to use it without a O365 account) but they are making significant improvements every time I see a new release.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What did they add to SP13?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MF_James posted:

Change management

but yeah thanks for the info, updating firmware on devices that I do not have physical access to is a harrowing experience because if stuff doesn't go well it's a nightmare.
I changed iLO on one of our servers from a static IP to DHCP (which I'd set up to use a static lease with the same IP) and then it didn't come back up. Whoops.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
SPOnline straights shits on any on-prem deployment, and it of courses shits on itself as well because SharePoint is hot garbage.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anthonypants posted:

I changed iLO on one of our servers from a static IP to DHCP (which I'd set up to use a static lease with the same IP) and then it didn't come back up. Whoops.

Was this hosting the VM that had DHCP on it?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

What did they add to SP13?

Improved hybrid search, hybrid taxonomy, and hybrid app launcher.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

Was this hosting the VM that had DHCP on it?
Uh, no, but why would that make a difference? Would it matter if iLO was on the same physical NIC?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Separate NIC for iLO/iDRAC 4 lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Separate NIC for iLO/iDRAC 4 lyfe.