Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

What model was that projector TV? I want one.

it was p sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

ArmZ posted:

you people are autistic
The irony here is that we're treating the character as if she has a complex inner life, including emotions and motivations of which she may not be fully aware, while you're focused entirely on her surface.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ArmZ posted:

immediately after having an emotional reconciling with a shroomed out donna

I was under the impression that this was in Donna's head and didn't really happen. Cameron's clothes were slightly different and she was gone when Donna looked up.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GutBomb posted:

I was under the impression that this was in Donna's head and didn't really happen. Cameron's clothes were slightly different and she was gone when Donna looked up.
Yeah - Donna imagined the reconciliation while tripping.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder if some designer has made a super fuggin expensive retro modern version of that projection TV using a flatscreen. That'd be neat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ArmZ posted:

yes cameron just got married and saw gordon have a seizure and then she wanted to gently caress joe immediately after having an emotional reconciling with a shroomed out donna

you people are autistic

I guess you're right. It would be totally unlike Cameron to be selfish or act impulsively.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

wormil posted:

I guess you're right. It would be totally unlike Cameron to be selfish or act impulsively.

ya they already established that she's still not over him, the marraige thing was impulsive and now she found a reason to seek joe out and see what she feels, she and joe are a never ending story arc

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I like episodes where fun things happen and people are happy and no so much "man everyone is depressed and helplessly mired in interpersonal problems"

Remember in season 1 when problems would pop up and they'd solve them with wacky MacGuyver goofball techniques and they'd hi-five, and the progress on the plot-arc-macguffin they were working on didn't happen entirely offscreen?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

bring back old gbs posted:

I wonder if some designer has made a super fuggin expensive retro modern version of that projection TV using a flatscreen. That'd be neat.

Bang & Olufsen has several TVs like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's no way Boz's son is just going to his job on July 4th all day long, is there?

Also glad they gave Julie more screen time after the sucker punch.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 23, 2016

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's no way Boz's son is just going to his job on July 4th all day long, is there?

I thought they were going somewhere with that and nope.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Wacky Delly posted:

I thought they were going somewhere with that and nope.

I took it as, like father like son.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Ersatz posted:

The irony here is that we're treating the character as if she has a complex inner life, including emotions and motivations of which she may not be fully aware, while you're focused entirely on her surface.
There's a difference between analyzing a character's actions and emotions, and pigeonholing them into soap opera histrionics because you think that passes for depth.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

wormil posted:

I took it as, like father like son.

Yeah, like I said, Boz's story with his family is literally Cat's in the Cradle. His son's doing the same thing that his dad did.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shitenshi posted:

There's a difference between analyzing a character's actions and emotions, and pigeonholing them into soap opera histrionics because you think that passes for depth.
No one mentioned histrionics. She's clearly ambivalent about marrying Tom, and it's not clear that she's over Joe.

People are complicated.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Ersatz posted:

No one mentioned histrionics. She's clearly ambivalent about marrying Tom, and it's not clear that she's over Joe.

People are complicated.

I agree with this. It seems like lots of people here want their characters to be perfect people who have simple story arcs and act like robots or cartoons. I enjoy the idea that everyone is flawed and face their own struggles or demons throughout their life and each episode lets us see a little more of their world, at times making you angry at them and at other making you cheer for them.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

This episode is one of the few times I felt kinda badly for Cameron but goddamn if she didn't deserve it.

Also this show had a Choir Invisible song, so whoever is doing the soundtrack work is on point.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One of the frustrating things this season has been that no one has called Cameron on her acting like Mutiny is all her idea. Donna came up with community, Diane bought swap meet, and its all hosted on Gordon's server.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

joepinetree posted:

One of the frustrating things this season has been that no one has called Cameron on her acting like Mutiny is all her idea. Donna came up with community, Diane bought swap meet, and its all hosted on Gordon's Clark Computers' server.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

joepinetree posted:

One of the frustrating things this season has been that no one has called Cameron on her acting like Mutiny is all her idea. Donna came up with community, Diane bought swap meet, and its all hosted on Gordon's server.

This, but i was a little surprised how much Donna attacked her

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Man, Ryan and Cameron both tugging the heartstrings this episode....

What's the likelihood this will get a fourth season? I know it had good buzz, but that it was also unexpected for it to get renewed once, let alone twice, and looking it up now it seems like the viewing numbers of this season are even lower.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Luvcow posted:

This, but i was a little surprised how much Donna attacked her

I wasn't. Cameron is very much like Joe in that she will use people to fulfill an objective but wants singular credit for whatever success their actions bring. Cameron believes that Mutiny is pretty much hers and hers alone, despite claiming that it's supposed to be a 'community.' I'm hoping they aren't going to portray Cameron as blameless in all of this because her unwillingness to capitulate on anything that compromises her vision is the albatross around the company's neck.

My problem with Cameron isn't the way she behaves, it's the framing they use for her character. I'm hoping they avoid the fairly obvious conclusion of Donna becoming "The Man" while Gordon, Clark and possibly Cameron form another upstart, visionary company that will revolutionize everything.

That being said, that whole scene in the meeting room was tense and Cameron's dazed "Oh" during the vote was the first time I had felt genuine sympathy for the character in a long time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chairman Capone posted:

Man, Ryan and Cameron both tugging the heartstrings this episode....

What's the likelihood this will get a fourth season? I know it had good buzz, but that it was also unexpected for it to get renewed once, let alone twice, and looking it up now it seems like the viewing numbers of this season are even lower.

I was flabbergasted it got a 2nd season. I would have bet my house it was cancelled. I hope it gets at least one more season because I legit enjoy it now.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Vanderdeath posted:

I wasn't. Cameron is very much like Joe in that she will use people to fulfill an objective but wants singular credit for whatever success their actions bring. Cameron believes that Mutiny is pretty much hers and hers alone, despite claiming that it's supposed to be a 'community.' I'm hoping they aren't going to portray Cameron as blameless in all of this because her unwillingness to capitulate on anything that compromises her vision is the albatross around the company's neck.

My problem with Cameron isn't the way she behaves, it's the framing they use for her character. I'm hoping they avoid the fairly obvious conclusion of Donna becoming "The Man" while Gordon, Clark and possibly Cameron form another upstart, visionary company that will revolutionize everything.

That being said, that whole scene in the meeting room was tense and Cameron's dazed "Oh" during the vote was the first time I had felt genuine sympathy for the character in a long time.

That's really well said.

There's that thing with her character that she's the youngest one there, hung out with the kids when she lived at the house and came into the story as the kid. I like that she and Joe are both very self absorbed and somewhat unaware of the people around them but not so totally flawed that they can't eventually see it and realize what they've done.

I am a little bummed they went away from Gordon's health issues from th earlier episode this season because it really seemed to show how he was going down a different path then Donna, in that he was contemplating the end of his life and having fun bonding with the staff more and appreciating life whereas Donna was going full tilt career moves.

wormil posted:

I was flabbergasted it got a 2nd season. I would have bet my house it was cancelled. I hope it gets at least one more season because I legit enjoy it now.

imo this is a great show and i hope continues

:ohdear:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Cameron status: still loving sucks. Surrounded by people she trusts, all of whom have way more business experience than her, she continues to act like an rear end in a top hat.
Joe status: continues to improve. He was a fucker (that I really enjoyed watching) in S1 but I do believe he's been a changed man since. In S2 he tried to help Mutiny, Cameron ruined him (which he took the fall for) and Gordon turned him down twice for the new company. He tried to do the right thing by Ryan and Ryan hosed himself in S3. Joe ain't a bad dude in my opinion.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Vanderdeath posted:

Good acting for sure but she really isn't sympathetic at all and literally does alienate everyone around her repeatedly without payoff, now more than ever in S3.

Only 2 episodes left? That comes as a shock. I don't know if the creators will get to wrap up much at this pace.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I feel like the scene with Cameron at Joe's apartment was a seed for something. I think she's going to leave her husband and chase after Joe. I'm glad Joe and Gordon are back together.

I like this show a lot and I hope it gets a new season.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Cameron status: still loving sucks. Surrounded by people she trusts, all of whom have way more business experience than her, she continues to act like an rear end in a top hat.
Joe status: continues to improve. He was a fucker (that I really enjoyed watching) in S1 but I do believe he's been a changed man since. In S2 he tried to help Mutiny, Cameron ruined him (which he took the fall for) and Gordon turned him down twice for the new company. He tried to do the right thing by Ryan and Ryan hosed himself in S3. Joe ain't a bad dude in my opinion.
Agreed on both counts. Cameron really hosed herself over in this last episode, and it's hard to feel sorry for her with the way everything went down. I was 100% with Bos in that scene. I mean, wtf Cameron?

Med School posted:

I like this show a lot and I hope it gets a new season.
It's really firing on all cylinders right now, and it'd be a shame if it doesn't get renewed again.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A renewal is surprisingly feasible. The Walking Dead remains a juggernaut, and there's a lot of hype with (S6 finale/new characters) the big reveal of who Negan takes out. Plus, you know, H&CF is even more of a critical darling this season, and it's not a big budget show (nor does it need to be).

I hope it comes back, too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, AMC's renewals seem to often rely more on critical reception than ratings. The show keeps improving every year, I can see it getting a couple more seasons easily if this keeps up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Joe is not a bad guy as long as you aren't in business with him or having a personal relationship of any kind with him. His problem is being self destructive without regard for hurting others and has been consistently since the beginning. It's why he left IBM. It's not that he goes around with bad intentions but when things don't go his way he burns it all to the ground. As a character I love him, he's awesome, but I wouldn't be his friend or partner.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

esperterra posted:

Yeah, AMC's renewals seem to often rely more on critical reception than ratings. The show keeps improving every year, I can see it getting a couple more seasons easily if this keeps up.

How have the ratings been this season? No one thought it would get renewed the last two times, is it doing better?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

wormil posted:

Joe is not a bad guy as long as you aren't in business with him or having a personal relationship of any kind with him. His problem is being self destructive without regard for hurting others and has been consistently since the beginning. It's why he left IBM. It's not that he goes around with bad intentions but when things don't go his way he burns it all to the ground. As a character I love him, he's awesome, but I wouldn't be his friend or partner.

Yep! I've had friends like this in the past. They're magnetic at first, and even though they're essentially well-meaning people, after a while I realize it's healthy to be around them only occasionally. It's the type of person who at any given point in time is 15 minutes away from yet another reinvention, but 15 years away from getting their poo poo together (whether it's financial, personal, etc.).

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cameron is right they should wait on the IPO. They don't need it to expand to other platforms and they'll be worth 5 times as much then. She was right about the credit cards too. Her problem is she doesn't know how to communicate or interact with people, a lot like you nerds.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The company being worth 5 times as much was a blue sky, best case scenario projection, and more importantly the longer Mutiny is a highly visible commodity for acquisition, the more competitors will crop up in the meantime and undercut their worth in those 2 years. Conversely, there was very little argument against the influx of capital from investors somehow impeding Cameron from improving their infrastructure like she always intended to. It isn't an do or die scenario even though her refusal to budge made it seem like it was.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Wacky Delly posted:

How have the ratings been this season? No one thought it would get renewed the last two times, is it doing better?

Edit: I just remember the change from Sunday to Tuesday. That explains a lot, but I would guess most people would DVR it like me. I always end up watching it Wednesday night.

I saw this posted somewhere else and it's not good.

Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K
Episode 3: 397K
Episode 4: 312K
Episode 5: 324K
Episode 6: 280K
Episode 7: 307K

I am surprised the ratings are not better or on par with season 2. Urg not good.

While I think 5 season would be perfect for the show, right now I will just take 4 if we get lucky. One of the best shows on TV.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 30, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Characters staring at corkboard with yarn for 45 minutes across three episodes: "Wow this is huge!!"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Capntastic posted:

Characters staring at corkboard with yarn for 45 minutes across three episodes: "Wow this is huge!!"

This would only be better if a young Michael Scott shows up, and goes 'That's what she said!'.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The real issue is that Cameron has no intention of going public, ever. If they ever made it through that crazy list of stuff to implement she'd have another list ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Dozzy
Nov 5, 2007
I told the other crow this; 'Get off my lawn'

nate fisher posted:

While I think 5 season would be perfect for the show, right now I will just take 4 if we get lucky. One of the best shows on TV.

How much does the Amazon Prime viewership factor into this? Amazon must be paying a pretty penny for it too.

• Locked thread