Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Daeren posted:

I expect Deviant to be fully able to model the tragic tale of Edward Penishands or there will be no sale, my good man :colbert:

Edward Penishands: The Parodying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 169k. Create-a-Pantheon is in, and with it the Atlanteans from 1e. Stretch goal reminders:

175k: 2 more stories in the fiction anthology.
190k: a PDF of 10 ready-made characters that have potential to become Scions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ezN0vwKhA

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've been watching this and one bit of news that didn't come out before is: White Wolf announces two mobile games dropping in winter, one named Mother, which they claim will "show the direction of the new World of Darkness." Still going through.

E: They will be prequels to Vampire: 5th Edition, which is set mid-apocalypse as the vampires wage shadow wars against each other and the Second Inquisition, and 5e will drop winter 2018.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 29, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I might actually play a Gacha game set in the oWoD, even if it would almost certainly be bad. I'd roll so many times to get that SSR Beckett, you don't even know.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20
I think it is a mistake to reprint something that revives Ed Kramer's credit.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"We value the believability and fearless commentary that has been a hallmark of the franchise since the beginning. [...] It's not safe, it's the most horrifying poo poo in this world, cranked up to 11, seen through the eyes of monsters. [...] We still have monsters to seek out and explore from the inside of their power structures and from the outside. In World of Darkness, we want to put the focus right there, on what is wrong in the world and to use vampires, werewolves and changelings, as always, as metaphors for our human conditions and issues that are difficult to speak about, but do so with great maturity, research and a strong belief that our customer base has grown from teenagers to fully grown adults who appreciate nuanced stories, well researched and written by the people affected by them."

They plan to use the 12-year gap of publishing to make a "new and horrifying world" where all old hierarchies are broken to make more room for PCs. The only books they plan to walk back on are the Gehenna/Apocalypse/whatever books. Something something 2nd Inquisiton, Gehenna Crusade, Forever War.

Talking about how Swedracula's work on the CCP MMO that never was gave him the idea to refocus on the hunt for blood as the core repeatable thing. Felt that past editions shied away from talking about the feeding act and wants to talk a lot more about it and the nature of the blood, talking about how Disciplines are developed via the blood. "To disappear from sight, you feed from those we forget and look away from. The homeless, the lost. To dominate, you [use] the blood of those in submission. To fuel presence and charisma, those in lust or love with you." Use your knowledge of others' feeding habits to find their weaknesses and attack them. Track their victims to learn what they're training in. Focusing on the victimhood and emotions of humans, trying to bring forth the areas "we don't talk about as much." and "make them playable for you."

Metaplot focused on the actions of LARPers, using the way LARPs turn out to write modules and metaplot storylines. That sounds like it's gonna be hilarious. Swedracula loving loves ARGs and viral marketing. Image: a live map of power in Europe and Africa by WoD groups. Talking bout running a site covering metaplot events based on LARPs, culling data from computer games, etc. Metaplot characters will still exist, but on a more personal level, whatever that means.

"This night will last forever. BLOOD AND SOULS."

The video ends with Swedracula just kind of standing there ofr a full minute, staring off to the side or making faces at the camera.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

MalcolmSheppard posted:

I think it is a mistake to reprint something that revives Ed Kramer's credit.

:stare: oh god you're right he did stuff for White Wolf didn't he.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

Talking about how Swedracula's work on the CCP MMO that never was gave him the idea to refocus on the hunt for blood as the core repeatable thing. Felt that past editions shied away from talking about the feeding act and wants to talk a lot more about it and the nature of the blood, talking about how Disciplines are developed via the blood. "To disappear from sight, you feed from those we forget and look away from. The homeless, the lost. To dominate, you [use] the blood of those in submission. To fuel presence and charisma, those in lust or love with you." Use your knowledge of others' feeding habits to find their weaknesses and attack them. Track their victims to learn what they're training in. Focusing on the victimhood and emotions of humans, trying to bring forth the areas "we don't talk about as much." and "make them playable for you."

Metaplot focused on the actions of LARPers, using the way LARPs turn out to write modules and metaplot storylines. That sounds like it's gonna be hilarious. Swedracula loving loves ARGs and viral marketing. Image: a live map of power in Europe and Africa by WoD groups. Talking bout running a site covering metaplot events based on LARPs, culling data from computer games, etc. Metaplot characters will still exist, but on a more personal level, whatever that means.

The video ends with Swedracula just kind of standing there ofr a full minute, staring off to the side or making faces at the camera.

That guy should talk to his shrink about his rape fantasies.

That whole blood drinking thing seems like a system that is a fun to design but a pure headache to keep track of in game.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Daeren posted:

:stare: oh god you're right he did stuff for White Wolf didn't he.

To be fair it may be the case that if they monkey with the book too much it will no longer be the original for legal purposes and they wouldn't have the rights to those stories in any other form. Kramer committed his offences in 2000, so they wouldn't have been known when the book was released in 1994. But I am generally for un-personing that man.

MalcolmSheppard fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 29, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Overall: the keynote stuff was less offensive than I was led to believe, so something else must have gotten the LARPers riled.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
poo poo. Just one more piece for the 'why is this their first release?' case then.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh right, and Werewolf and Vampire noted as planned to be the "opposing games they always could be." I have no idea what that means.

E: Side note, Vampire and Werewolf stated to be the only fully in-house things planned. They plan to license out for just about everything but to work very closely with licensors.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

poo poo. Just one more piece for the 'why is this their first release?' case then.

Swedracula doesn't seem to know that much about how an RPG should be marketed, but I don't either. What should be their first releases?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kavak posted:

Swedracula doesn't seem to know that much about how an RPG should be marketed, but I don't either. What should be their first releases?

Probably something without the words "full rear end-rape stiffness" added to it 22 years later and also co-written by a convicted pedophile.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

This is an incredible trainwreck, isn't it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daeren posted:

Probably something without the words "full rear end-rape stiffness" added to it 22 years later and also co-written by a convicted pedophile.

I was thinking more of what they discussed in the keynote. That's more of a "Why was this released at all."

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mors Rattus posted:

"We value the believability and fearless commentary that has been a hallmark of the franchise since the beginning. [...] It's not safe, it's the most horrifying poo poo in this world, cranked up to 11, seen through the eyes of monsters. [...] We still have monsters to seek out and explore from the inside of their power structures and from the outside. In World of Darkness, we want to put the focus right there, on what is wrong in the world and to use vampires, werewolves and changelings, as always, as metaphors for our human conditions and issues that are difficult to speak about, but do so with great maturity, research and a strong belief that our customer base has grown from teenagers to fully grown adults who appreciate nuanced stories, well researched and written by the people affected by them."

They plan to use the 12-year gap of publishing to make a "new and horrifying world" where all old hierarchies are broken to make more room for PCs. The only books they plan to walk back on are the Gehenna/Apocalypse/whatever books. Something something 2nd Inquisiton, Gehenna Crusade, Forever War.

"Fantasy Heartbreaker" is used to describe people trying to "fix" D&D.

But game designers trying over and over again to fix Urban Horror games by treating the act of "feeding" into this grand emotional role-playing experience- instead of the Most Brutal Handwave In Gaming it always, always is- deserves it own trite pithy phrase to describe it.

7-11 Adventure? Hook Up Horror?

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Desiden posted:

We'd probably have to ask the guy who did the F&F for Eternal Hearts, if he hasn't killed himself yet to make the nightmares stop. I'd say its at least 50/50 that its in there somewhere.

But yeah, standard sourcebooks not as much.

I've read that dumb book three times. It doesn't faze me anymore.

But no, there's no one gagging on some vampire's bleeding dick in Eternal Hearts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gerund posted:

But game designers trying over and over again to fix Urban Horror games by treating the act of "feeding" into this grand emotional role-playing experience- instead of the Most Brutal Handwave In Gaming it always, always is- deserves it own trite pithy phrase to describe it.

So what I'm gathering is this poo poo'll get handwaved so that most groups can go on with the plot most of the time, and also that everyone's an old-school Ventrue now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

It's almost like they did that already. Oh wait, they did in Requiem, but I guess that's what you get when you decide to start making new books for a 20 year old game line.

Personally, I really liked "The Blood" from the Requiem line. It was the book that made me go "ah-ha" for the entire vampire line. Suddenly vampires were not empty shells of characters anymore and finding motivations for the characters was not difficult.

All the rhetoric about maturity is just window dressing and an excuse for writing about terrible acts of depravity and grossness. Maturity does not ignore the terrible, but it certainly doesn't bathe in it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So does your Obfuscate turn off if you haven't bitten a homeless person in the last week, or are you going to be tracking different colors of blood mana?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kavak posted:

I don't really know myself, other than it shouldn't be an old story collection, where half the stories are only tangentially related to the setting in the first place, edited by a convicted sex offender and rereleased with a terrible new story that dips into the worst kind of 'maturity' in roleplaying games. A collection of 'gap-bridging' stories would perhaps be preferable - stuff that slots into the decade break and helps explain how poo poo like the 'Forever War' kicked off, acting as an introduction to the new form of the setting.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Ferrinus posted:

are you going to be tracking different colors of blood mana?

Red blood

Blue blood

Old blood

New blood

:drac:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Especially since apparently the Garou and Vampires are in active open war now as opposed to the way it was before.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wouldn't this war be super lopsided in favor of the Garou? Is that going to be his excuse for taking all the elders out of the picture? Or is that too logical?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

All this integration and ARG talk are making me nervous re: the WoD game that Obsidian is almost certainly working on. Obsidian had specifically been burned in the past for trying to accommodate multiplayer (of which ARG integration is a certain kind) alongside their single-player components, in games with higher budgets than Paradox is probably setting.

The kind of coordination Swedracula wants is the stuff of D-grade armchair design and a thousand vaporware Kickstarters. It is scope creep, it won't work. And everything Paradox makes could see its wings clipped by its obligation to the grand plan.

And obviously, if Swedracula provided them with a style guide / world bible for WoD we could be in for trouble. Bloodlines worked in large part because it was not reverent toward its source material. Affectionate and engaged with it, sure, but it was also lighthearted and funny when it needed to be.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 29, 2016

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It depends on how you handle it, but yeah in an outright war the garou have some big advantages. The only counter is in a game where the vamps have big, big influence with cops and military, since arranging to have septs hit with drone strikes and kinfolk gunned down in 'counter-terror raids' tends to counteract 'big teeth and claws'. That or where elders go all-out to fight them and you get gangrel with silver chain mail tearing apart garou with claws and Inward Focus, Brujah punks on motorbikes running down Get with silver lances (if we're going gonzo, gently caress it, we'll go full gonzo) and Toreador going full matrix in pairs with silver wire and UZIs loaded with explosive rounds.

Which would be pretty dope, actually, in its own insane way.

EDIT:
On the setting bible front, I don't object to them in principle (in a sense, the Project is an attempt at building one.) I do have serious concerns about one under the control of Swedish Dracula at this point, though.

A good setting bible lets stuff like Bloodlines happen while steering devs away from certain subjects like 'full rear end-rape stiffness', not the other way round.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 29, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Loomer posted:

It depends on how you handle it, but yeah in an outright war the garou have some big advantages. The only counter is in a game where the vamps have big, big influence with cops and military, since arranging to have septs hit with drone strikes and kinfolk gunned down in 'counter-terror raids' tends to counteract 'big teeth and claws'. That or where elders go all-out to fight them and you get gangrel with silver chain mail tearing apart garou with claws and Inward Focus, Brujah punks on motorbikes running down Get with silver lances (if we're going gonzo, gently caress it, we'll go full gonzo) and Toreador going full matrix in pairs with silver wire and UZIs loaded with explosive rounds.

Which would be pretty dope, actually, in its own insane way.

You could probably wring a decent RPG out of the Underworld franchise, yes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Certainly couldn't make it worse than the third movie was.

EDIT:
Brujah gladiator from Ancient Rome taking on an entire pack with a pair of spiked silver cestes. Nosferatu tunnel-rats sending out ghouled rat suicide bombers wrapped in bomb-vests studded with silver nails before coming out with pieces of rebar to finish the job.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 29, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

All this integration and ARG talk are making me nervous re: the WoD game that Obsidian is almost certainly working on.

I don't know if they are. Obsidian's pretty busy- Tyranny comes out next month and they'll be supporting that for a while, they just got the liscense for Pathfinder, and they're working on Pillars of Eternity II. Plus they've been dropping hints about making another Fallout game...

I doubt Paradox is going to be spending that much money on this. This seems more like something they bought solely for diversification purposes- they don't care what Swedracula's doing unless it becomes an active embarrassment (To non-RPG players), kind of like how Hasbro and Wizards are treating D&D.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kavak posted:

I don't know if they are. Obsidian's pretty busy- Tyranny comes out next month and they'll be supporting that for a while, they just got the liscense for Pathfinder, and they're working on Pillars of Eternity II. Plus they've been dropping hints about making another Fallout game...

That they have not done. They've said on record that they're not currently working on another Fallout, it was just a couple of bottom-feeding game newz sites that saw a Project Louisiana in production at Obsidian (they name projects by order of US state ratification) and made the leap to "Fallout New Orleans in development??!!".

New Vegas was a bigger hit than Fallout 3 but production was rocky (to put it mildly) and after Chris Avellone left Obsidian he more or less stated that the bridge to Bethesda is ashes now. NV lead Josh Sawyer has said he doesn't expect to make a game as popular as NV was ever again.

What we do have is the Obsidian CEO being asked about unannounced projects and saying on the record "We have Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski just joined, put two and two together." So it's something they've worked ok before, it's not Fallout and there's no way in hell Obsidian sold Activision on an Arcanum sequel. Plus I imagine it would take some serious bait to lure Lenny Boy away from a leading role at Blizzard. Smart money is on a WoD game.

quote:

I doubt Paradox is going to be spending that much money on this. This seems more like something they bought solely for diversification purposes- they don't care what Swedracula's doing unless it becomes an active embarrassment (To non-RPG players), kind of like how Hasbro and Wizards are treating D&D.
Paradox specifically name dropped Bloodlines as a valuable property to them after they bought out White Wolf, and a few weeks back they sent out a survey covering what aspects of modern CRPGs and immersive sim people are drawn to. Plus, niche PC game publishing is literally their business. If anyone's going to fund a WoD video game project in 2016, it's Paradox.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

after Chris Avellone left Obsidian he more or less stated that the bridge to Bethesda is ashes now. NV lead Josh Sawyer has said he doesn't expect to make a game as popular as NV was ever again.

Well that sucks. I'm really not interested in a WoD game set in this new canon.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Gerund posted:

The most horrifying thing about feeding in Blood and Smoke is how casual it can end up being. As long as the ST does their job and ensures that feeding at the start of a campaign is relatively involved, with roleplaying and a little development of the victims, the sheer contrast with feeding rolls later in the campaign once poo poo's gone down will be really horrific to the players once they think about it for 2 minutes. "Okay, I need to top back up before we confront the Sheriff. What? Yeah, I just use Dominate to grab some people off the street and take them into alleyways. I need 5 vitae. No, I'll just leave them in the mouth of the alleyway so someone else spots them and takes them to hospital. Right, let's go."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basic Chunnel posted:

New Vegas was a bigger hit than Fallout 3 but production was rocky (to put it mildly) and after Chris Avellone left Obsidian he more or less stated that the bridge to Bethesda is ashes now. NV lead Josh Sawyer has said he doesn't expect to make a game as popular as NV was ever again.
I was living in the bush when Avellone left Obsidian; do you have a link to an interview where he said that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kavak posted:

Wouldn't this war be super lopsided in favor of the Garou? Is that going to be his excuse for taking all the elders out of the picture? Or is that too logical?

You could go with the whole "No new Garou" bit. All the Garou there are now are all the Garou there will ever be. Gaia's done with their poo poo, game over. So they might have a ton of edges that vampires don't, but each one lost is truly irreplaceable. It encourages them to be aggressive in taking out threats to Gaia, because there isn't going to be a future for them to do it in, but it also encourages them to be conservative in their plans, because they have no ability to bounce back from catastrophic failure.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Isn't there something in 5th Edition about Garou now being creatable by bite?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Kavak posted:

Isn't there something in 5th Edition about Garou now being creatable by bite?

That was a thing in whatever Werewolf rules edition By Night Studios has been cooking up relatively recently. There was talk about input from the Paradox people, but it's unclear what, if anything, that input was. So that bit could have been Paradox, could have been By Night.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

5th edition is going to be full rear end-raping stiffness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The problem with the Bite is that, even if it has a super low success chance, the Black Spirals aren't going to give a gently caress about that. They're going to shore up their numbers en-mass because you just turned being a Garou into a zombie plague.