Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I dunno what's up with the upgrade menu. It's slow as gently caress. Also I have no clue whether I should be upgrading, the game seems to steer you away from doing it. Unless I'm mistaken there was a swap for the corvette dlc racecae that bumps it to the top of its class but doubles its horsepower. Seems like you're just getting an unfair advantage vs the drivatars that I don't think are upgrading ever, judging by the grid PI chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Drivatars upgrade their cars to be near your pi.

That being said it's the shifty autoupgrade which doesn't prioritize power over weight so the upgrades are poo poo.

I don't upgrade anything in this game except for looks. I like driving street cars and it's fun.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

andyf posted:

Hurf, Forza's gone weird and every time I take a screenshot, it takes the framerate to 25-30 and it never recovers. Have to restart the game.

Was not doing this at all yesterday. Most peculiar. Probably a launch-day bug that'll get fixed in a few weeks or so. (I hope)

Just hit the 320k fans benchmark!

e - oh wow ok it actually bricks the framerate between full invokes of the game. Gotta reboot to fix it. Windows being awful then I guess.

e2 - looks like an issue with the (latest) nvidia driver. core and memory clock drop down massively unless I reboot. They should be => 1150 (Core) / 1750 (Memory) but get stuck at 600 / 400 and I can't seem to reset them.

Is there even a way to 'restart' a display driver in Windows 10 :v:

This is exactly what happens to my drivers when my game crashes. GPU gets locked in low power state because the game crashes the drivers and they dont recover.

You can disable and re-enable the display adapter in device manager to reset it, rather than rebooting. I've rolled back to the previous drivers and finally stopped it crashing, for now

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

GutBomb posted:

Drivatars upgrade their cars to be near your pi.

That being said it's the shifty autoupgrade which doesn't prioritize power over weight so the upgrades are poo poo.

I don't upgrade anything in this game except for looks. I like driving street cars and it's fun.

Upgrades really only seem to matter in online situations. I do think that simply turning every car you own straight into S-class is boring. Sleepers rule but I also enjoy just seeing how the stock cars drive first. I like taking shitboxes and putting them at perfect ratings like 400/500/600 because they get the funniest reactions at mid-level.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Utnayan posted:

Ok so if I do not have to subscribe to Groove for Custom playlists, how would that work on Xbox One? Would I take the music and install it on a folder on the Xbox One? Or use my PC and install it on OneDrive and it automatically pulls it? That would really be the only thing holding me back right now if the DLC isn't that big of a deal. Also, any reason why there isn't a Forza Horizon 3 thread so the Forza 6 guys can have their thread in peace? :)

Yeah you upload your music to OneDrive, and then Groove on Xbox will download it. You'll have to make it into a playlist in the Groove App on Xbox so you can select it while ingame in Forza.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cojawfee posted:

That's what happened with FH1, which is why I'm wary to buy this new one.

Same. I got FH1 and regretted it. and got FH2 and regretted it. If i hadnt lost my debit card, i'd have bought Fh3 already. Is this a dying fad goons?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Same. I got FH1 and regretted it. and got FH2 and regretted it. If i hadnt lost my debit card, i'd have bought Fh3 already. Is this a dying fad goons?

Probably not it's almost a carbon copy of the earlier horizons gameplay wise. If you can't enjoy the game's single player I wouldn't buy it

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sellouts posted:

How did the handful of you beat challenge #23, find your own path in the Audi?

I cut through a few parts but seem to end up .6 mi short. The stone wall seems to really get me.

The route I ended up using was to get out of the gorge, then angle mostly towards the city, in order to pick up the road that run into it through the forested area. You can actually follow the train tracks as you approach the city to shave some distance off of the road route, but I still completed it with zero time remaining.

I did eventually turn off the damage, since I kept wrecking the engine and steering from the bumps on the route, even when I avoided cars or trees.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ive got something going on tonight and I think horizon fever has taken hold of the community anyway so I'm postponing the 1 hour endurance race of the Trans ams to next week.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I didn't know you could do photo mode at any time. Man, it's fun.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

How do I join the goon group in this game? Username is Viscen on XBone.

Also, how do you take screen shots on the next XBone dash? I tried double tapping guide and hitting Y but my gameDVR app is empty.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GutBomb posted:

Ive got something going on tonight and I think horizon fever has taken hold of the community anyway so I'm postponing the 1 hour endurance race of the Trans ams to next week.

motherfucker i've been drinking for hours in preparation.

edit: Lets double down, do it this weekend, and make it 2 hours.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but is it necessary to have Gold to play multiplayer on PC? My brother's a diehard PC gamer, and he'd love to play this with me, but not if he has to shell out for Gold.

AdmiralViscen posted:

How do I join the goon group in this game? Username is Viscen on XBone.

Also, how do you take screen shots on the next XBone dash? I tried double tapping guide and hitting Y but my gameDVR app is empty.

1) You have to upgrade your festivals a couple of times before you're given the choice. Than, you'll need someone in your friends list who is already a member of the race club, which is called GRRC. You can add me - Blind Lester - and then join a club through a friend.

2) Sometimes my captures don't immediately appear, but honestly the Xbone app for captures sucks. I use xboxdvr.com to manage my captures, and it makes it very easy to download and share them.

I AM THE TOILET fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 29, 2016

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but is it necessary to have Gold to play multiplayer on PC? My brother's a diehard PC gamer, and he'd love to play this with me, but not if he has to shell out for Gold.

No.

PS: Your brother may be a cheater since he plays on PC so watch out!

comatose fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 29, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, as a DiRT: Rally player the current monthly rival WRX vs. EVO race is super great and fun. I've been progressing like poo poo because I keep doing that over and over. I'm probably being put against people with way low difficulty settings but it's drat fun to just edge people out and then get a next harder person.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I lived the dream and created a blueprint bucketlist to simulate a family camping trip.

- 12km route starting at Surfers heading to the rainforest
- Reliant Regal with roof rack and luggage
- Blasted classical music (should be able to lock the radio station though)
- Traffic on
- No rewinds

A few concessions I made were no locked camera and I upgraded the reliant so its isn't as slow.

Also I assume everyone else got the lady to call them Bort like I did.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Man, as a DiRT: Rally player the current monthly rival WRX vs. EVO race is super great and fun. I've been progressing like poo poo because I keep doing that over and over. I'm probably being put against people with way low difficulty settings but it's drat fun to just edge people out and then get a next harder person.

All those hours of sliding around in DiRT: Rally and ramming the poo poo out of people at every corner in GTA: Online are finally starting to pay off.

Yall ain't makin' it easy in this crew:

Gonna have to dive into a proper dream build to compete w/Keket :science:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Drastic Actions posted:

I didn't know you could do photo mode at any time. Man, it's fun.

That is a great wallpaper shot.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

a real chump posted:

I lived the dream and created a blueprint bucketlist to simulate a family camping trip.

- 12km route starting at Surfers heading to the rainforest
- Reliant Regal with roof rack and luggage
- Blasted classical music (should be able to lock the radio station though)
- Traffic on
- No rewinds

A few concessions I made were no locked camera and I upgraded the reliant so its isn't as slow.

Also I assume everyone else got the lady to call them Bort like I did.

Can you share this blueprint?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Thief posted:

Yall ain't makin' it easy in this crew:

Gonna have to dive into a proper dream build to compete w/Keket :science:

Bring it, bitch. I think I'm top of all the zones I've discovered so far.
(I have you on steam right? We should play together)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

More (somewhat dark) screenshots:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Despite being a cartoon videogame, the tuning in Horizon 3 is surprisingly deep. You can really custom tailor any car to your liking and whatever you do kind of makes sense in how it affects the car behavior. I like that the most expensive upgrade isn't always the best and you can focus on different aspects like suspension builds or minor engine mods in between full conversions. This may not be news to anyone but the flexibility is a bit better than I personally remember from years ago.

The main downside to racing in something like GTA Online was that it was overly simplistic in that there was always an obvious best car/build to choose. The class system here keeps it interesting at every level while the online races still feel very GTA-like which is a great thing imo.

Keket posted:

Bring it, bitch. I think I'm top of all the zones I've discovered so far.
(I have you on steam right? We should play together)

I wouldn't be surprised since we have a frightening level of combined hours in WT.

get at me bruh: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BreakSet/

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

How does the blueprint bucket list stuff work? I go to one and all the menus are blank

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How big are the city areas? I miss midnight club LA....

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok I am friends now with Toilet on X1. Game turned out to be fairly addicting. I made a race, upgraded the city festival once... Jesus they packed a lot of options in this game. Really the first foray into Forza at all. At least I am finally getting some use out of my Xbox 1.

I am probably going to have a poo poo load of questions.

I hope I do not get all jacked up like I normally do when I start something new and go buy a racing wheel and race chair and poo poo... If I did that, I would probably try Forza 6 for real racing.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Thief posted:

Despite being a cartoon videogame, the tuning in Horizon 3 is surprisingly deep. You can really custom tailor any car to your liking and whatever you do kind of makes sense in how it affects the car behavior. I like that the most expensive upgrade isn't always the best and you can focus on different aspects like suspension builds or minor engine mods in between full conversions. This may not be news to anyone but the flexibility is a bit better than I personally remember from years ago.

The main downside to racing in something like GTA Online was that it was overly simplistic in that there was always an obvious best car/build to choose. The class system here keeps it interesting at every level while the online races still feel very GTA-like which is a great thing imo.

I wouldn't be surprised since we have a frightening level of combined hours in WT.

get at me bruh: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BreakSet/

Yea, I really love that all the tuning options are there from Forza and have a noticeable impact.

I dislike that tires give such a ridiculous bump in rating though, it seems really hard to build a car that is more handling than power. I tried, but on higher difficulties it is hard to win any races because every race has sections the other cars just blow by you. This mostly applies to build A and below cars, in Super rating you can get power and tires just fine.

Also tuning is more generalized, since you aren't really going to tune a car for specific races in this game like you would a track in Forza/iRacing. That's OK though, just try to make a car that "feels good."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well tires are easily the most vital component considering they're the only part that touches the road.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Building cars with more handling than power is THE newbie goonracing habit you should wean yourself off of. You always put on the shittiest, narrowest tires you can still maintain control of the car with. Spend that PI on power and transmission every time.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I've not raced it yet but the Reliant Regal is hilarious, also where do yo get the old style Mini Cooper? I really want Volkswagen to come back in a DLC, specifically the original Beetle and the Thing, either as it's own buggy class vehicle or a 'body kit' for the Beetle. I wouldn't say no to the Kübelwagen, and Land Rover Mark 1 to go up against the Willys Jeep.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Anime_Otaku posted:

I've not raced it yet but the Reliant Regal is hilarious, also where do yo get the old style Mini Cooper? I really want Volkswagen to come back in a DLC, specifically the original Beetle and the Thing, either as it's own buggy class vehicle or a 'body kit' for the Beetle. I wouldn't say no to the Kübelwagen, and Land Rover Mark 1 to go up against the Willys Jeep.

Top of the right skill-tree, the one that gives you xp and money.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The way different options affect the performance in this game is so weird.

This is a capture of me running at 4K DSR on a single 970. All advanced settings on high, MSAA off, FXAA on. I get no notable performance change with recording on or off so that doesn't seem to be a factor here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5lHvAbbfg

It can easily maintain a minimum of 30 FPS but has a weird stuttering that almost seems to be the game engine itself. It seems like we just lose a few ticks every now and then, suddenly time warps forward a fraction of a second.

I'm on a 4790K with 32GB of RAM and my most heavily utilized core is around 80% while this is happening. My OS is on a SSD but my game is on a 7200 RPM hard drive because of lack of available space on the SSD.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone elses PC version crashing like crazy today? Its been fine the past few days

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think I found potentially the issue with my online not working. My carrier seems to have put me behind a carrier grade NAT. Holy loving poo poo!

Of course, if Microsoft would use proper IPv6 instead of Teredo... That'd be the day.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone elses PC version crashing like crazy today? Its been fine the past few days

I'm having continued problems with multiplayer today. On occasion whenever the guy hosting a horizon group starts an event, I just flat out crash to desktop instantly. Rather disconcerting but I don't seem to lose any progress, it seems.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Me and Theif found out online coop campaign is broken as poo poo if one of you is a higher level. You make bank with fans and exp. Also if there's any midnight races for the 4 locked cars, only one of you needs the race unlocked for the other person to enter and win it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

In case anyone else with an Apple router can't get online in game, this fixed it for me: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/apple/f/3356/t/455095.aspx

Finally did some adventure mode racing last night and had a blast.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Eyud posted:

In case anyone else with an Apple router can't get online in game, this fixed it for me: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/apple/f/3356/t/455095.aspx

Finally did some adventure mode racing last night and had a blast.

I tried Adventure mode last night and only saw 1 out of the 12 that were supposedly online. Xbox One, Netgear Router. What's the difference between Adventure mode and freeroam?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Keket posted:

Me and Theif found out online coop campaign is broken as poo poo if one of you is a higher level. You make bank with fans and exp. Also if there's any midnight races for the 4 locked cars, only one of you needs the race unlocked for the other person to enter and win it.

Got the RX-7 for free basically thanks to this!

Co-op is definitely OP and allows you to skip much of the grind through casual play with friends.

I also lucked out while we were dorking around on drift sections and spun a $10,000,000 BRZ Horizon Edition :yosbutt:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Such bad luck with spins. Regularly getting the 5-10k credits spin. And now just leveled up and it bugged out because I started a head to head right when my chain ended and didn't hit X within a half second or so and its not on the menu. Going to win a car someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The spins are saved in the progress tab of the menu, as are skillpoints.

I had a few days of 5-10k spins and then last night I won 2 fezzers, the HE mustang and HE F type.

I then went online for the first time and the HE cars seem kinda broken for that. The leader board is based entirely on XP and they don't turn off the HE bonus.

I'm not sure if winning is actually that important, but its kinda weird having the leader board not really represent the best racing.

It was fun though.

• Locked thread