Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I know :smith: I like to think this is a subtle jab at ABC for cancelling the show, because I thought Agent Carter was pretty great overall. It's a shame they ended it on a cliffhanger - I'd really like to see the beginnings of Shield but I doubt we'll get that :(

I think half the reason people weren't watching it is because it was supposed to be about the beginnings of SHIELD but it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Oh you guys know that Agent Carter lady who everyone talks about as a legend? Well here's the most boring part of her entire career where she's sneaking around like loving nancy drew. That will make a great show.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like new director guy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Oh you guys know that Agent Carter lady who everyone talks about as a legend? Well here's the most boring part of her entire career where she's sneaking around like loving nancy drew. That will make a great show.

Although I liked it, agreed. I think there was something kind of hubristic on the creative team's part in that. The only momentum to Peggy's backstory is the how and why behind her founding of SHIELD, but the actual Agent Carter plot spun its wheels on that story, as if it didn't want to burn through those "big" plot beats too soon.

And it's not like the ingredients weren't there. The formula was that the SSR was too bureaucratic to take care of freaky supernatural problems, and too sexist to empower Peggy to do so. The Nancy Drew bullshit comes from her systemic need to go rogue and fix the problem alone while all the G-men above her signed documents. The first season ends with her watching an undeserving male coworker get accolades for her work...it should've ended with her saying, "gently caress the SSR," and pitching SHIELD to Howard Stark.

The show was a casualty of its own stasis.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kammat posted:

Oh crap I forgot Luke Cage drops Friday. There goes my weekend!

I'm headed out of town for Rosh Hashannah. That's gonna be bugging me all week until I get back to normal life.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

That ghost rider theme music was amazing.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That was fun.

The new director was great. Through everything, I was thinking, "oh god, a pleasant bureaucrat, the most evil of all." And then it turns out he's the white Luke Cage. I mean, superstrong, invulnerable is probably the most boring of all the superpowers, but makes total sense in that role.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
So Daisy is totally turning her powers in on herself either consciously or unconsciously, right? As part of some self-penance thing? Because she didn't have any problems last season when she was confident in what was going on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bio347 posted:

So Daisy is totally turning her powers in on herself either consciously or unconsciously, right? As part of some self-penance thing? Because she didn't have any problems last season when she was confident in what was going on.

I'm guessing the writers are using it as a way to keep her from solving every problem with her powers.

and or they forgot about last season stuff.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think that she's overexerting herself since she never really did the whole flying thing before and they did say in an earlier season that her powers caused her tissue damage. I think the idea is since she wants to flame out and die for her sins, she's not holding anything back ever.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Also, she's not wearing the gauntlets Simmons made for her in the scenes where she gets hurt.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also, she's not wearing the gauntlets Simmons made for her in the scenes where she gets hurt.

Yeah, this was my big take away. The gloves not only dampen the internalization but also provide amplification and SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE look the point is all the bones break when she zips around so she shouldn't do it too much.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Chokes McGee posted:

look the point is all the bones break when she zips around so she shouldn't do it too much.

For all the talk about Kree super science and terrigenesis being divine ascension, those InHumans sure are engineered like poo poo. That's a pretty crap defect for a quake energy wave person.

I expected better of super ancient alien science. :colbert:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I thought Robby was going to hold up a picture of Ward but instead it was the electric guy nobody cared about.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xealot posted:

For all the talk about Kree super science and terrigenesis being divine ascension, those InHumans sure are engineered like poo poo. That's a pretty crap defect for a quake energy wave person.

I expected better of super ancient alien science. :colbert:

As Sif said in season 2, they are supposed to be slaves to the Kree. You want to make sure they're not too powerful in case they get uppity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yep. She was shaking herself apart before she got the gauntlets. She doesn't have that buffer anymore.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

Yep. She was shaking herself apart before she got the gauntlets. She doesn't have that buffer anymore.

Plus it's an established internal control. The other option is she literally causes earthquakes wherever she goes without focusing the vibrations.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

flosofl posted:

She has the gauntlets, she's just not using them. If you remember the suiting up scene in the premier, they specifically show her with them on. Robbie is right about her wanting to suffer.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
At first I thought the new director was a LMD or something but I guess inhuman works just as well.

Pretty decent start to the new season, Coulson not being director with unlimited funding is working for me and I'm liking GR so far!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Reyes: Your arm isn't just broken, it's shattered.
Daisy: I'm just going to hold on to the top of this car while you drive crazily down the road, also I fell off... no biggie

Apparently the new director isn't the only invulnerable one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Talking about the new director as an old classic character is kind of weird when their depiction of him is an Inhuman and in MCU continuity can't possibly have done the thing the character is most known for.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

Daisy: I'm just going to hold on to the top of this car while you drive crazily down the road, also I fell off... no biggie

She does have a drug which allows her bones to heal faster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

Talking about the new director as an old classic character is kind of weird when their depiction of him is an Inhuman and in MCU continuity can't possibly have done the thing the character is most known for.

My guess is he was just a regular old war hero or something who happened to be Inhuman and get powers so now he's the perfect guy on paper for what they want.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Burning_Monk posted:

He said "You arm isn't fully broken, it's just fractured."

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Aphrodite posted:

I agree. It's getting really old that anyone with superpowers means they're either an Inhuman or a science experiment (besides Ghost Rider)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/09/25/agents-of-shield-season-4-premiere-gets-huge-ratings-bump-from-d/

So this looks promising. I was worried when the ratings game in and Ghost Rider didn't give the show much of a bump, thinking that this was kind of a last ditch to get it where ABC wants it. But apparently when delayed viewing got figured in, the show got a huge surge and did real well in the last episode.

I really hope this is the thing to make people give the show another shot. I know people I STILL can't convince after they burned out halfway into season 1.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I agree. It's getting really old that anyone with superpowers means they're either an Inhuman or a science experiment (besides Ghost Rider)

If you find-replace the word in Inhuman with Mutant or Metahuman, isn't this a problem with comics themselves, though? You get your occasional Thors or aliens or Ghost Riders and other demon things, but more or less, that accounts for 99% of them.

Honestly if Fox had given Marvel back the X-Men you'd be complaining everyone's a mutant and they'd never bothered pushing inhumans.

kayakyakr posted:

That was fun.

The new director was great. Through everything, I was thinking, "oh god, a pleasant bureaucrat, the most evil of all." And then it turns out he's the white Luke Cage. I mean, superstrong, invulnerable is probably the most boring of all the superpowers, but makes total sense in that role.

There are way, way more boring powers than invincibility. It's all in how you use them. I love bat-poo poo insane invulnerable characters that have no quams with strapping claymore mines to their chest, for example.

That said I really, really hope they don't do an "he's evil" twist with this guy. I love the fact he's a bureaucrat doing his job, and with the same goal as Coulson if different methodology - the betterment of SHIELD. Villains that aren't really villains are the most interesting.

ED: And if he does turn out to be evil, I'm calling it now: He dies by pennance stare.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 29, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The dumbest thing about most super heroes are the super powers.

I'm not kidding. Punisher rules.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The dumbest thing about most super heroes are the super powers.

I'm not kidding. Punisher rules.

God I want that cameo rumor to be true.

poo poo, can you imagine a Punisher vs Ghost Rider showdown on SHIELD? Or a team up, they both have no quarms about body counts and punishment. They're colleagues!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mikeraskol posted:

He said "You arm isn't fully broken, it's just fractured."

Shoot you are right, still my point stands that poo poo wouldn't work IRL.

The new Director's attitude reminds me a lot of Season 1 Coulson (before Tahiti info dumb). Boy Scout in persona and nature.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blazing Ownager posted:

If you find-replace the word in Inhuman with Mutant or Metahuman, isn't this a problem with comics themselves, though? You get your occasional Thors or aliens or Ghost Riders and other demon things, but more or less, that accounts for 99% of them.

There's a bunch of dudes that are just dudes. Comic Jeffrey Mace is.....drat near Coulson. He's just a regular dude that is a super fan of Captain American and tries to do the best he can to live up to that ideal, even being one of the replacement Captain Americas doing the period Cap is on ice. And his reward is to live to a nice old age, and die with Captain America at his bedside. This guy seems nice, but he has super strength and is thus inferior.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: And if he does turn out to be evil, I'm calling it now: He dies by pennance stare.

No points. If Ghost Rider's around, anyone evil is likely to get penance stared.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do all the ghost riders have the stare thing? I thought it was only some of them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Do all the ghost riders have the stare thing? I thought it was only some of them.

Robbie Reyes might have stares in his house, but he is protected.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Pennance Stare was a Danny Ketch/Noble Kale thing. The Johnny Blaze/Zarathos Rider had a lot of hellfire, Ketch/Kale had hellfire, animated chains, and The Stare, and Robbie seems to have more knives and chains and hellfire, but his spirit is more like Zarathos (a demon) than Kale (the Angel of Vengeance, an agent of both Heaven and Hell)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Pennance Stare was a Danny Ketch/Noble Kale thing. The Johnny Blaze/Zarathos Rider had a lot of hellfire, Ketch/Kale had hellfire, animated chains, and The Stare, and Robbie seems to have more knives and chains and hellfire, but his spirit is more like Zarathos (a demon) than Kale (the Angel of Vengeance, an agent of both Heaven and Hell)

Of course, it seems like the MCU Robbie has a spirit of Vengeance. Not like they haven't changed things for the show before.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
drat, this so is so loving good. The DC shows cannot come close in just being that awesome.

Love Quake/Ghost Rider teaming up, and the whole ghost thing is really interesting. Though when they're talking about the Darkhold, I always associate it with Wundagore and all the fun Maximoff twins stuff.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm gonna be mildly irked if the in-universe SHIELD goes public, and then disappears again just in time for it to not be acknowledged in the movies again. Irked with the coming and going of it being a 'public agency' I mean. I've already accepted that referencing in the MCU will be a one way street and TV will never make it into the movies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see them mentioning SHIELD is back, but not have any contact with it. Unless the petty power struggles at Marvel have ended and they can stop pretending the TV and Movie aren't in the same universe.

Though just having Coulson and Daisy in Infinity War would be awesome. Even if they're just shown in some big battle with Thanos's goons or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It would be the easiest loving thing in the world for them to have a relevant movie character say "what about SHIELD?" and somebody replies "Well, they have their hands full right now with [big threat of season]" and that's all. If they can't even do that, that's pretty pathetic.

• Locked thread