Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I've seen everything from socks to pens for more casual / every day items

Then you get people replacing the underlights in their car doors with ones that beam down a giant S&C onto the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
In about 10 hours I'll be starting my first degree. I'm so excited i actually woke up early today so i can get all the things I want to do done. I'm treating myself to a professional shave and haircut at a fancy barber called 'dapper Dan's'.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

do the freemasons take kinship into account when the relation comes from ones mother's side of the family?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
We don't formally care about kinship one way or the other, although I'm sure plenty of Brothers would love to talk about it.

You don't have to be related to a Mason to be one.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ok ty

do you guys all cheat on your wives or just the elder chaps

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It doesn't count as cheating with the goat

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

no kidding here bros, it may be mere chance but all confirmed freemasons i know IRL are middle-aged to elderly and all have a history of giving 0 shits about cheating on the ball and chain

theres a pattern here, i also know of orgies with call girls in certain lodges, sloppy bastards :P

was thinking of joining though, sounds like a lifehack if there ever was one

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

All the elderly masons I know would be as appalled at the thought of adultery as they would at that of miscegenation.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

as far as i can see being a freemason turned to be a very open thing nowadays

ppl were very secretive about it in the olden days

e: thanks for the info i'd have asked sooner if i knew about the thread

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They really weren't, it's been pretty open forever. I should do some research on when it changed, but my guess would be in the mid-19th century during the anti-Masonic fever. And then only until that nonsense passed.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Nurel posted:

no kidding here bros, it may be mere chance but all confirmed freemasons i know IRL are middle-aged to elderly and all have a history of giving 0 shits about cheating on the ball and chain
Those guys are assholes.

quote:

theres a pattern here, i also know of orgies with call girls in certain lodges, sloppy bastards :P
Anything is possible but I highly doubt there is any truth in this.

quote:

was thinking of joining though, sounds like a lifehack if there ever was one
You'll be very disappointed.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lovable Luciferian posted:

What, you mean i won't find out who shot Kennedy tonight during my 1st degree??????

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cimber posted:

What, you mean i won't find out who shot Kennedy tonight during my 1st degree??????

You don't find that out until at least the 67th degree.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

I'll be there in the DDGM corral. I'm around from Thursday until Saturday, and would definitely be up for a meetup.

I only saw one young-ish guy in the corral, do you have long hair and a beard? I was the other dais officers from my lodge, so I didn't socialize that much outside of them.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

They really weren't, it's been pretty open forever. I should do some research on when it changed, but my guess would be in the mid-19th century during the anti-Masonic fever. And then only until that nonsense passed.

perhaps it was a local trend, having a lot to do with the political landscape then.
e: i'm talking 1940-80 europe

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Lovable Luciferian posted:

being a freemason is not a lifehack? i had the impression its like a worldwide organization where everyone helps each other, spanning back hundreds of years.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Nurel posted:

perhaps it was a local trend, having a lot to do with the political landscape then.
e: i'm talking 1940-80 europe

Depends on the country, which are you referring to?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Austrian masons are quiet about their membership for obvious reasons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The only times Masonry was really kept secret was during times where they were persecuted, as in Nazi Germany. That's where the forget-me-not became a symbol of masonry, since they would wear a pin of the flower instead of the square-and-compasses.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

The only times Masonry was really kept secret was during times where they were persecuted, as in Nazi Germany. That's where the forget-me-not became a symbol of masonry, since they would wear a pin of the flower instead of the square-and-compasses.

Right. I just met some Austrian masons on a tour of the Grand Lodge of Ireland a few weeks ago. They said that they have very small numbers today, and still are very discreet about it on average.

Edit: they also asked my opinion about Donald Trump

Emron fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 28, 2016

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

I only saw one young-ish guy in the corral, do you have long hair and a beard? I was the other dais officers from my lodge, so I didn't socialize that much outside of them.

I'm more middle aged, than youngish, short hair, glasses, no beard. Unfortunately, various duties kept me from having much of any free time the whole weekend.
Were you part of the honor guard ?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

I'm more middle aged, than youngish, short hair, glasses, no beard. Unfortunately, various duties kept me from having much of any free time the whole weekend.
Were you part of the honor guard ?

Unfortunately not. I couldn't make it until right at 9am, so I didn't have time to work out logistics and be part of it.

The Greensboro York Rite Bodies put on the Order of the Temple tonight for 36 (!!!) candidates, at Castle McCulloch in Jamestown, NC. Nothing like conferring an order of knighthood in an actual (*cough-reproduction-cough*) medieval castle. The class was named after Past Grand Commander Gene Lewellyn, who was in attendance along with current Grand Commander James Steele. Super great night, and it was thundering with lightning all evening, which added a certain gravitas.

Hey you guys, join the York Rite, you get to look dapper like this!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well Brethren, I have be initiated. What a interesting ritual that was. Such an info dump at the end too where i probably have retained about 20-30 percent. I feel bad about that since the brothers spent a lot of time preparing and memorizing.

I'm NOT looking forward to memorizing my proficiency. Oh lord that's a lot of stuff.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

poo poo dooog you look like a friend of mine

ah so they were persecuted by nazi germany.. makes sense. i was referring to greece which was
a)occupied by the fascists during ww2
b)occupied by a junta during the late 60s-mid70s

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sorry, I know very little about Freemasons in Greece but yeah, if you have a government that dislikes freethinkers it is likely there are only secret freemasons.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's also a generally good indicator of if a country is about to get real ugly. If they start actively gunning for masons and similar groups, poo poo is going to get dark.

On a lighter note, I'll be becoming a Knight Templar come Christmas. Can't ask for a more symbolically appropriate time.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

Well Brethren, I have be initiated. What a interesting ritual that was. Such an info dump at the end too where i probably have retained about 20-30 percent. I feel bad about that since the brothers spent a lot of time preparing and memorizing.

I'm NOT looking forward to memorizing my proficiency. Oh lord that's a lot of stuff.

Don't worry, you're not the only guy who they memorized all that for, and you'd have to have a photographic memory to have retained all of it in one go. The beauty of the ritual is, in part, its abundance. You'll get something new out of it the more you see it.

As for your proficiency, it'll depend a lot on your district as to how often you can practice. Ours had code books, and with dedicated study, I committed mine to memory in about a month. Best way is to keep going to lodge, and catch a 1st degree practice or see someone else go through it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Don't worry, you're not the only guy who they memorized all that for, and you'd have to have a photographic memory to have retained all of it in one go. The beauty of the ritual is, in part, its abundance. You'll get something new out of it the more you see it.

As for your proficiency, it'll depend a lot on your district as to how often you can practice. Ours had code books, and with dedicated study, I committed mine to memory in about a month. Best way is to keep going to lodge, and catch a 1st degree practice or see someone else go through it.

Thats what i plan on doing. Monday another lodge is having a 1st degree and I'm going to try to see that. I'll bring my code book with me and follow along at the appropriate parts.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Cimber posted:

Thats what i plan on doing. Monday another lodge is having a 1st degree and I'm going to try to see that. I'll bring my code book with me and follow along at the appropriate parts.

This may not be legal depending on your jurisdiction (it certainly isn't in California)

Edit: Having the book open in Lodge, I mean

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

FreshFeesh posted:

This may not be legal depending on your jurisdiction (it certainly isn't in California)

Edit: Having the book open in Lodge, I mean

Same in North Carolina. Hell, here you're not even allowed a code book until you stand proficient on the third degree :)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

COOL CORN posted:

Same in North Carolina. Hell, here you're not even allowed a code book until you stand proficient on the third degree :)

That's what I tell my candidates :mmmhmm:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FreshFeesh posted:

That's what I tell my candidates :mmmhmm:

Why not? Not going to argue, just wondering why they don't want code books open in lodge.

And if i did not have a cypher book with the catechism how would i be able get to be proficient?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cimber posted:

Why not? Not going to argue, just wondering why they don't want code books open in lodge.

And if i did not have a cypher book with the catechism how would i be able get to be proficient?

The code book is a great code, almost uncrackable, because you can only read the code if you already know what it says. If you're using it to follow along, you can circumvent this. The code book is meant to ensure that people who know what it says can read it, and people who don't can't, and bringing it into open lodge breaks its encryption.

Some jurisdictions, many, only do the catechism "mouth to ear," meaning a preceptor or mentor will help you memorize it. The code book is for after you've already proven proficient, so you can double check or remind yourself in 20 years.

Edit: I moved from GL of OH which is F&AM to GL of MD which is AF&AM and have code books for both, but AF&AM is slightly different, different enough that I can't do it, which is rather unfortunate. I should probably go through a catechism with a crew at some point. Hell, I should probably go back to Lodge at some point. We had a WM who was extremely all about Jesus and it turned me off of it a bit, and then I got busy on lodge nights and now just haven't been for a long time even though my schedule freed up.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 30, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paramemetic posted:

Some jurisdictions, many, only do the catechism "mouth to ear," meaning a preceptor or mentor will help you memorize it. The code book is for after you've already proven proficient, so you can double check or remind yourself in 20 years.

That's NC's logic. It's worked for a couple hundred years!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
whats the difference between AF & AM and F&AM?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Cimber posted:

whats the difference between AF & AM and F&AM?

One letter.

It just has to do with whether those particular grand lodges were founded with charters from the Ancient or Premier Grand Lodge of England prior to the United Grand Lodge being formed in 1813. So in the US it's a toss up whether a given blue lodge will be Ancient Free & Accepted or just Free & Accepted.

There are some minor phrasing differences in the work, but nothing substantial. Minor changes in the way the lodge is conducted but again nothing major. It just means I'd have to relearn the lectures and so on for the small changes in phrasing.

The main thing that was disappointing to me is that apparently Maryland is a slideshow state, and I was fortunate to have my first degree lecture done in a very special, unique way by a real scholar of it, which cannot be done here as the lectures have to be done in a format ratified by the GL, which in MD means a very specific format that I'm' not keen on. Oh welp tho.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Are there any Louisiana goons here? I've heard stories about how their work is vastly different (and the only place in America you can legally see the first three degrees the way the Scottish Rite has them written)

I guess more influence from the Grand Orient de France?

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

COOL CORN posted:

Are there any Louisiana goons here? I've heard stories about how their work is vastly different (and the only place in America you can legally see the first three degrees the way the Scottish Rite has them written)

I guess more influence from the Grand Orient de France?

Right here. I'm from New Orleans, and a member of a Scottish Rite Craft Lodge. The degrees are vastly different than anywhere else in the country.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Paramemetic posted:

One letter.

It just has to do with whether those particular grand lodges were founded with charters from the Ancient or Premier Grand Lodge of England prior to the United Grand Lodge being formed in 1813. So in the US it's a toss up whether a given blue lodge will be Ancient Free & Accepted or just Free & Accepted.

There are some minor phrasing differences in the work, but nothing substantial. Minor changes in the way the lodge is conducted but again nothing major. It just means I'd have to relearn the lectures and so on for the small changes in phrasing.

The main thing that was disappointing to me is that apparently Maryland is a slideshow state, and I was fortunate to have my first degree lecture done in a very special, unique way by a real scholar of it, which cannot be done here as the lectures have to be done in a format ratified by the GL, which in MD means a very specific format that I'm' not keen on. Oh welp tho.

Oh are you in MD too? Hope we get to meet up sometime!

I can understand being a bit put off by the slideshows, though, they seemed out of place to me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MB13 posted:

Right here. I'm from New Orleans, and a member of a Scottish Rite Craft Lodge. The degrees are vastly different than anywhere else in the country.

I have so many questions. Are non-LA Masons welcome? Or maybe non-LA Scottish Rite Masons?

If I ever make it out to NOLA I might try to catch a degree.