Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

kingcom posted:

The one real advantage of Unleash is it ignores all the crazy bonuses and defences an enemy usually has at that level of play since its always just against a 2 Purple check but that never seems worth it to me.

The one real advantage of unleash is you can fry people as you cackle "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side muahahahaha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm thinking of running a short (5-6 session) campaign for my normal D&D crew. It looks like folks would prefer playing the rebel/empire game over EotE. Is there a decent pre-gen campaign I can use as a starter for inspiration and/or a rough campaign outline?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Arcturas posted:

I'm thinking of running a short (5-6 session) campaign for my normal D&D crew. It looks like folks would prefer playing the rebel/empire game over EotE. Is there a decent pre-gen campaign I can use as a starter for inspiration and/or a rough campaign outline?

Avoid Onslaught at Arda I at all costs.

Honestly, for an Age of Rebellion game, I think channelling ESB / Hoth as a framework works really well. Rebels are mostly hiding for fear of the Imperial Fleet, Running is usually preferrable to fighting and the protection of innocent people is paramount. Play up the desperation of the Rebel and the invasive influence of the Empire & you should be okay.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeah, the starter for AoR should capture the fact that when The First Transport Is Away, you've won a victory. And while the players are defending the transports, they get attacked by one squad of stormtroopers, then two, then a squad of elites and normal stormtroopers, then three squads, then the transports are away and it's time to run because there's an ominous breathing sound.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

TheTofuShop posted:

Avoid Onslaught at Arda I at all costs.

Honestly, for an Age of Rebellion game, I think channelling ESB / Hoth as a framework works really well. Rebels are mostly hiding for fear of the Imperial Fleet, Running is usually preferrable to fighting and the protection of innocent people is paramount. Play up the desperation of the Rebel and the invasive influence of the Empire & you should be okay.

Yes, this is all good advice.

I would also look at Star Wars Rebels. There's a little bit of everything in that show for RPG people. They have some EotE episodes where they're smuggling or whatever, some AoR episodes where they're on a secret mission to capture something in a desperate gambit. It even has some F&D episodes with Inquisitors and Sith holocrons and all that jazz.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

I would also look at Star Wars Rebels. There's a little bit of everything in that show for RPG people. They have some EotE episodes where they're smuggling or whatever, some AoR episodes where they're on a secret mission to capture something in a desperate gambit. It even has some F&D episodes with Inquisitors and Sith holocrons and all that jazz.

Seconding watching Rebels. Its basically a show about someones rpg party.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And if you're a crossover Doctor Who fan, the first episode of season 3 (and hopefully more!) has Tom Baker in an amazing voice role.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

kingcom posted:

Seconding watching Rebels. Its basically a show about someones rpg party.

Is there a place to stream Rebels online? I don't see it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arcturas posted:

Is there a place to stream Rebels online? I don't see it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

If you got a US cable account you can watch them all on the Disney XD site i think?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

kingcom posted:

If you got a US cable account you can watch them all on the Disney XD site i think?

Thanks, I didn't realize I could do that.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
If you were running a game and your players needed to play baseball for some reason, how would you handle that? A single athletics check for each players at bat? Melee checks for batting, ranged checks for throwing, athletics checks for everything?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Captain Redbeard posted:

If you were running a game and your players needed to play baseball for some reason, how would you handle that? A single athletics check for each players at bat? Melee checks for batting, ranged checks for throwing, athletics checks for everything?

Opposed rolls for Batter / Pitcher with Melee/Ranged Light respectively. Athletics check for a ground ball, Perception check for a fly ball. Baserunning I guess you could do opposed Athletics / Ranged Light for Baserunner/Fielder.

Triumphs and Despairs could be stolen bases or errors. You could track strain for the pitcher to account for fatigue throughout the game. Heck, if someones playing a Commander, you could let them take a trip out to the mound and roll Leadership to keep things under control.

Star Wars Baseball sounds real cool though. :3: Just imagining Ackbar going out to the mound to talk Han down.
"Cmon General, you can't keep throwing fastballs over the plate."
"RRRGGGHHHRRRR!"
"The Wookie's right Solo, go with the Breaking Ball inside."

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 28, 2016

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What's wrong with onslaught at arda? I've never ran it but it looks fun...

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

TheTofuShop posted:

Opposed rolls for Batter / Pitcher with Melee/Ranged Light respectively. Athletics check for a ground ball, Perception check for a fly ball. Baserunning I guess you could do opposed Athletics / Ranged Light for Baserunner/Fielder.

Triumphs and Despairs could be stolen bases or errors. You could track strain for the pitcher to account for fatigue throughout the game. Heck, if someones playing a Commander, you could let them take a trip out to the mound and roll Leadership to keep things under control.

Star Wars Baseball sounds real cool though. :3: Just imagining Ackbar going out to the mound to talk Han down.
"Cmon General, you can't keep throwing fastballs over the plate."
"RRRGGGHHHRRRR!"
"The Wookie's right Solo, go with the Breaking Ball inside."

Someone is a commander, I'm just worried if I make it too granular it'll get boring.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly, I'd tell the players they were playing baseball and then ask them what they plan to do. Each time a player says they're doing something, pick an appropriate skill and make them roll it. Move the game along quickly enough to be narratively appropriate (i.e. if you want the game to take half an hour to an hour or so, do a roll or two per inning plus descriptions and strategy talk, maybe two.).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As long as the check a player comes up with makes sense, you can have the successes and failures go to a general pool of how well they did. Your commander can coach the NPCs (presumably the players aren't the whole team.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Doh.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 29, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How viable is it to plan an unarmed brawler kind of guy? Especially if you got the Force on your side? It's kind of related to why I was wondering if Unleash is worth it.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Covok posted:

How viable is it to plan an unarmed brawler kind of guy? Especially if you got the Force on your side? It's kind of related to why I was wondering if Unleash is worth it.

If you have the force on your side, I'd say it's quite viable. Although I think i would concentrate on force move and force enhance before worrying about unleash.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
You don't even need the force.

Just be a doctor.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

nelson posted:

If you have the force on your side, I'd say it's quite viable. Although I think i would concentrate on force move and force enhance before worrying about unleash.

Definitely went down the enhance tree with the test character I made a while back. Seemed the most useful. Unleash just felt like the perfect "endgame" for an unarmed character. Didn't do move just because I wanted it to be that said character didn't know the force existed and played off his fighting skills as skills and not supernatural ability. Okay, in reality, I didn't even think of move.

I guess bind would also be useful considering I made this test character as a dark side user, now that I think about it.

It would be cool to play a character who eventually can see a Sith pull lightsaber and go "the weapon of the sith and jedi, how quaint. My weapon is the force and a powerful one it is!" *force lightning*

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

If you are a wookie doctor you are a terrifying monster in melee.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

ProfessorCirno posted:

You don't even need the force.

Just be a doctor.

Heh, I was thinking about making a droid doctor that kind of sucked at healing people, but was quite good at stunning the poo poo out of them by poking them in the right place.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I raise you.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Covok posted:

I played as a Brawl focused Gank that started with a Repuslor Fist from his species feature in my last campaign, and he was awesome. The GM threw a giant monster at the party and I punched it in the face and staggered it. If you go for the mechanical abuse of being a Doctor, you'll also be better at installing your own cybernetics of bonus synergy.

I'll be starting a campaign for some friends this weekend, any good ideas for narrative excuses to give the party a free ship? I could just have them stumble onto one, but I'd prefer to keep things as plausible as I can, and I don't want to shove it into a player's backstory. My current best idea is to throw a pirate ship at the party for them to claim after they kill the occupants, but I feel like my players might find a way to blow it up somehow.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Vanguard Warden posted:

I played as a Brawl focused Gank that started with a Repuslor Fist from his species feature in my last campaign, and he was awesome. The GM threw a giant monster at the party and I punched it in the face and staggered it. If you go for the mechanical abuse of being a Doctor, you'll also be better at installing your own cybernetics of bonus synergy.

I'll be starting a campaign for some friends this weekend, any good ideas for narrative excuses to give the party a free ship? I could just have them stumble onto one, but I'd prefer to keep things as plausible as I can, and I don't want to shove it into a player's backstory. My current best idea is to throw a pirate ship at the party for them to claim after they kill the occupants, but I feel like my players might find a way to blow it up somehow.

High-stakes game of sabacc could work, or there could be a disreputable figure who wants to hire them as the crew for a transport job on the planet and hop off at the end saying "Thanks, keep the ship. Might want to file off the serial number."

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elendil004 posted:

What's wrong with onslaught at arda? I've never ran it but it looks fun...

I picked it up on release because I loved the concept, being a rip off of Hoth basically where the Imperials are at the gate and you've got to escape. But wait! How did they find you? You've been betrayed from within!

It follows this first act with going to some random planet and doing random things in a jungle and trying to find out who the traitor is. In a clever RPG product, it might offer multiple options for who it is, but thats not the case. The second act is nothing but false leads, red herrings, and wasting everybody's time until you're ready for the third act. Which is completely disjointed and insultingly dumb.

It's real bad. After reading through it I wasn't sure there was much worth salvaging from it other than the first act, and I could come up with better set ups on my own.

Covok
May 27, 2013

When you do Force & Destiny, do you and your players try to discover the force in a unique way or just try to become a Jedi or Sith?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Vanguard Warden posted:

The party is a team of galactic repossession agents, hired to repossess a freighter. When they go to deliver it to the creditor, they find that the creditor has gone out of business, possibly due to the actions of whoever the bad guys in your campaign are. Guess they’re stuck with the ship, now.

Followers of a strange religious movement are giving away all their possessions. One of those followers insists that you take their starship. Surely there’s nothing suspicious about this cult.

One of your party members looks just like a wealthy person who’s being stalked. That person gives your party a ship, which the stalker knows belongs to the target, in the hopes that the party will throw the stalker off the trail.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

echopapa posted:

The party is a team of galactic repossession agents, hired to repossess a freighter. When they go to deliver it to the creditor, they find that the creditor has gone out of business, possibly due to the actions of whoever the bad guys in your campaign are. Guess they’re stuck with the ship, now.

Followers of a strange religious movement are giving away all their possessions. One of those followers insists that you take their starship. Surely there’s nothing suspicious about this cult.

One of your party members looks just like a wealthy person who’s being stalked. That person gives your party a ship, which the stalker knows belongs to the target, in the hopes that the party will throw the stalker off the trail.

Wow, most of these are good as plot hooks alone.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Covok posted:

When you do Force & Destiny, do you and your players try to discover the force in a unique way or just try to become a Jedi or Sith?

It depends on your setting and what you all want to get out of the experience.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Most F&D people I have played with have wanted to rediscover the Jedi, (if Light Side) or thought the Jedi were dumb and the dark side isn't always evil (if Dark). I personally played a Togrutta who wanted to become something akin to a shaman, and believed in the Force as a godlike entity she could touch upon, and didn't want to be Jedi or Sith. It was fun.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Wow, most of these are good as plot hooks alone.

Now that I think about it, repo team is a good hook for a campaign. It gets your PCs hunting down and stealing weird stuff (repossess an AT-AT! repossess a floating tibanna platform! repossess a moon!) while encouraging them not to be murderhobos about it, because the bank (or the Corporate Sector Authority or the Hutt or whoever) won’t pay for unnecessary bloodshed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Plus there's always the fun of "Wait, what's in the cargo hold of this ship we repossessed? It belongs to -who-?"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I can give it a shot at some point, thanks for bringing this up. A friend and I made a bot to post Magic cards, so this should be easier. But then again he also did most of the work so :v:

So it took me a bit, but I've gotten some work done on this, it connects to Discord, rolls each size die properly, but I'm not sure what approach to take so I need some opinions.

Would you prefer giving it the rolls like "AAPDB" (Ability Ability Proficiency Difficulty Boost in any order), or "2dA 1dP 1dD" (for 2Ability, 1Proficiency 1Difficulty)?
Similarly, contractions are another question. Each die starts with a different letter (so there's no "Is A Ability or Advantage?" questions), but I don't know if I'm missing something. Do people call them by their colours, but even if so, I figure that having Boost contracted to U (for blUe) and leaving Setback as Black is fine.

Basically what I need goonpinions on is the notation. I'm leaning towards the first one (first letter of each die, no xdY or anything), but colours would also be easy to add, whereas xdY would be a bit more challenging.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Serperoth posted:

So it took me a bit, but I've gotten some work done on this, it connects to Discord, rolls each size die properly, but I'm not sure what approach to take so I need some opinions.

Would you prefer giving it the rolls like "AAPDB" (Ability Ability Proficiency Difficulty Boost in any order), or "2dA 1dP 1dD" (for 2Ability, 1Proficiency 1Difficulty)?
Similarly, contractions are another question. Each die starts with a different letter (so there's no "Is A Ability or Advantage?" questions), but I don't know if I'm missing something. Do people call them by their colours, but even if so, I figure that having Boost contracted to U (for blUe) and leaving Setback as Black is fine.

Basically what I need goonpinions on is the notation. I'm leaning towards the first one (first letter of each die, no xdY or anything), but colours would also be easy to add, whereas xdY would be a bit more challenging.

Just copy the orokos setup.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sentinel book: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/30/life-undercover/

Gonna work on updating the OP this weekend.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I can give it a shot at some point, thanks for bringing this up. A friend and I made a bot to post Magic cards, so this should be easier. But then again he also did most of the work so :v:

So I have a v1.0 of the bot ready to go, still could use testing and improvements, but it takes inputs, calculates success/failure/advantage/threat, and the orokos-style inputs should be easy after a friend converted all my cases into functions.

I'll be working on that then, but for now, is there a good way to get the code out? github seems a bit much for literally one file.

EDIT: Actually yeah, I'll just put it on dropbox after fixing a bit.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Serperoth posted:

So I have a v1.0 of the bot ready to go, still could use testing and improvements, but it takes inputs, calculates success/failure/advantage/threat, and the orokos-style inputs should be easy after a friend converted all my cases into functions.

I'll be working on that then, but for now, is there a good way to get the code out? github seems a bit much for literally one file.

Github is free, so why not. Sounds great!