Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I never read either of them, because I read Mr shivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

End Of Worlds posted:

the Mr shivers fyad thread is one of the finest cultural objects this forum has produced and represents, albeit indirectly, Bennett's greatest contribution to the world of letters

link? i want to read this

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Both "City of" books are good and cool. I didn't know SA had molested the author of those books. Interesting.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I read Mr Shivers having heard all the bad reviews and thought it was ok. Not great but not bad, lots of first novel problems going on but its not horrible. Not read any more of his books yet but I would.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
American Elsewhere was quite good I thought. City of Stairs was great, the sequel is worth reading then I take it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hate Fibration posted:

American Elsewhere was quite good I thought. City of Stairs was great, the sequel is worth reading then I take it?
Yeah. Not as good but most of it is pretty solid. Suffers from deus ex machina though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neurosis posted:

link? i want to read this
Seconding this.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Skyscraper posted:

Seconding this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting article on Lovecraft's nonfiction essay commissioned by Houdini

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/mar/16/hp-lovecraft-harry-houdini-manuscript-cancer-superstition-memorabilia

quote:

Lost HP Lovecraft work commissioned by Houdini escapes shackles of history

Manuscript for The Cancer of Superstition, requested shortly before escapologist’s death, is discovered in memorabilia collection

A long-lost manuscript by HP Lovecraft, an investigation of superstition through the ages that the author was commissioned to write by Harry Houdini, has been found in a collection of magic memorabilia.

The Cancer of Superstition was previously known only in outline and through its first chapter. Houdini had asked Lovecraft in 1926 to ghostwrite the treatise exploring superstition, but the magician’s death later that year halted the project, as his wife did not wish to pursue it.

According to Potter & Potter Auctions of Chicago, the 31-page typewritten manuscript was discovered in a large collection of memorabilia from a now-defunct magic shop. Part of the collection consisted of papers kept by Houdini’s widow, Beatrice, and her manager, Edward Saint.

“The collection bounced around after Beatrice Houdini’s death in 1943 and was never truly catalogued or ‘mined’ in all that time. The papers were never researched or inventoried,” said Potter & Potter president Gabe Fajuri. “In all that time, no one seemed to realise the significance of the manuscript.”

Fajuri said the collection was recently bought privately, and when “the new owner began sorting through the mountain of paperwork, he began putting the pieces together, and in the process discovered the manuscript and its significance”.

The Chicago firm, which will auction the manuscript on 9 April, says it is “further along than other surviving sources have indicated it had reached”, with three sections entitled “The Genesis of Superstition”, “The Expansion of Superstition”, and “The Fallacy of Superstition”.

According to the auction house – which will open bids at $13,000 (£9,240) with a pre-auction estimate expecting a final price somewhere between $25,000-$40,000 – the document explores everything from worship of the dead to werewolves and cannibalism, theorising that superstition is an “inborn inclination” that “persists only through mental indolence of those who reject modern science”.

“Most of us are heathens in the innermost recesses of our hearts,” it concludes.

Fine Books Magazine, which first highlighted the auction, said the manuscript had been “whispered about by hopeful collectors and scholars for decades”.

Fajuri said: “The manuscript deepens the debate over the legacies of two figures whose popularity rested on playing to both sides of their audience’s curiosity over issues including spiritualism, supernaturalism, the real and the unreal,”

He added:“While Lovecraft entertained readers with weird and horrific science fiction and Houdini amazed audiences with displays of superhuman escapes, both are to be found here in what they call a ‘campaign’ against superstition. They argue that all superstitious beliefs are relics of a common ‘prehistoric ignorance’ in humans.”

According to Lovecraft scholar ST Joshi, the manuscript was actually commissioned for Lovecraft and his fellow author CM Eddy. Joshi said that a synopsis of the book, along with one chapter, The Genesis of Superstition, was published in the 1966 book The Dark Brotherhood and Other Pieces.

“But it is stated there that, while the synopsis was written by Lovecraft, the chapters themselves were written by Eddy, with ‘Lovecraft’s interlinear emendations and additions’. August Derleth, who assembled the volume, was in touch with Eddy, so presumably he derived this information directly from Eddy,” said Joshi.

He added: “It appears that not all the chapters embodied in the newly discovered manuscript were published in The Dark Brotherhood,” which contained only The Genesis of Superstition. “Assuming the manuscript contains more than this chapter, then those subsequent chapters are unpublished. But they still seem to be by Eddy, not by Lovecraft,” said Joshi.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Peztopiary posted:

I'd never heard of Anders Fager, he's a Swedish mythos writer. Being Swedish, most of his work isn't available in English. The only story I could find that is translated, The Furies From Boras is really well written. There's a Tor article about the story as well, if you like that kind of thing.

Thank you very much for recommending this. Fager is good. Know if his other books have been translated into English and where I can get my hands on them?

Evidently he also made a Lovecraftian related roleplaying game called "The Cult's World"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Fager

quote:

Anders Fager (born in Stockholm 1964) is a Swedish horror writer. After a career as an army officer and game designer he made his debut in 2009 with the short story collection Swedish Cults (Svenska kulter) that received a most favourable review in Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter[1] and launched Fager's career as full-time writer. Fager writes modern urban horror in a style he has repeatedly described as ”what would happen if James Ellroy took on H.P. Lovecraft”. Set in present-day Sweden, his interconnected stories form a modern part of the Cthulhu mythos with entities such as Dagon and Hastur making appearances. Fager's fictional world, known as "The Cult's World", has been made into a role playing game and is also currently being turned into a graphic novel and a theartrical play.

Anders Fager lives in Stockholm. His other works includes role playing games, a children's book and work with TV and film scripts. His novel "Kaknäs Last Tape" is set in the postapocalyptic world of the role playing game Mutant - Year Zero.

Outside of Sweden, Fager has so far been published in Finland and France [2] and has been introduced in the British Lovecraftiana magazine Cyäegha.[3] A film version of Collected Swedish Cults is being developed by director-team Måns Mårlind and Björn Stein.[4][5]

Cyaegha is available here: http://www.freewebs.com/batglynn/cyaegha.htm

quote:

(Anders Fager) Bibliography
Swedish Cults (2009, Svenska kulter)
Collected Swedish Cults (2011; Samlade svenska kulter – An omnibus featuring the short stories from Swedish Cults as well as “Interspecies Liaisons” and ”You can not live”)
I Saw Her Today at the Reception (2012; Jag såg henne idag i receptionen)
Under the bridge at Arcole (2014; - Short story in Paradox Entertainment's anthology Europa Universalis)[9]
The Substitute Teacher from Hell (2014, Den elaka vikarien)
A Man of Wealth and Taste (2014, En man av Stil och Smak)
Kaknäs' last tape (2015, Kaknäs sista band)
Dirty Black Summer (2016, Smutsig svart sommar graphic novel adopted from The Furies from Borås)

I forgot which one of you recommended "Black Hill" by Orrin Grey. Too short but not bad. I enjoyed it.

Free pdf : http://www.strixpublishing.com/black-hill/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 10, 2016

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but I'm about half way through with The Amulet. It's pretty entertaining so far. Nice little mash-up between Dashiell Hammett and HPL. I'll probably check out the other two books after I finish this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Dr. Benway posted:

Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but I'm about half way through with The Amulet. It's pretty entertaining so far. Nice little mash-up between Dashiell Hammett and HPL. I'll probably check out the other two books after I finish this.

That sounds rad, I'd be interested to hear what you think when you finish it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Meikle is a pretty fun horror author. He's versatile enough to handle different types of horror well, though he's best at cosmic horror. Also check out The Dunfield Terror and/or The Plasm.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Not a book, but Alexis Kennedy (the writer for the text adventure games Fallen London and Sunless Sea) has a prototype up for an adventure game called Cultist Simulator: http://weatherfactory.biz/cultist-simulator/

Kennedy's stuff is great Dunsany/early Lovecraft fantasy, on the off chance that anyone here hasn't heard of him.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
^ An hour of my life just blew by fiddling around with this.

Daveski posted:

That sounds rad, I'd be interested to hear what you think when you finish it.

I was finally able to finish it last night. Overall, it was really entertaining. Perhaps the Dashiell Hammett comment was being a little generous, but definitely has that noir detective feel to it. I don't now if it was intentional or if it was just me, but I felt like there were a couple of nudges to Big Trouble In Little China and Hellboy around the climax. It kind of brought me back to the feeling I had when I first picked up The Atrocity Archives and Jennifer Morgue. Thumbs up.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Someone many pages back recommended EARTHWORM GODS and I've been enjoying it so far, so thank you.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

I'm curious if anyone here as some suggestions for more traditional horror. I mostly read horror in the weird fiction vein (so Laird Barron, the Year's Best Weird Fiction, etc.), but it starts getting a bit samey after awhile. Any good books on more traditional fair (werewolves, vampires, aliens, etc.), that isn't too influenced by urban fantasy/paranormal romance (and that isn't Stephen King. I've read 'Salem's Lot and loved it but want something by a different author.).
Or, for that matter, anything with a strong conspiracy theory bent to it, because I've been reading about things like Project Monarch and Dulche base and these sound like great settings for a horror tale.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Reflections85 posted:

I'm curious if anyone here as some suggestions for more traditional horror. I mostly read horror in the weird fiction vein (so Laird Barron, the Year's Best Weird Fiction, etc.), but it starts getting a bit samey after awhile. Any good books on more traditional fair (werewolves, vampires, aliens, etc.), that isn't too influenced by urban fantasy/paranormal romance (and that isn't Stephen King. I've read 'Salem's Lot and loved it but want something by a different author.).
Or, for that matter, anything with a strong conspiracy theory bent to it, because I've been reading about things like Project Monarch and Dulche base and these sound like great settings for a horror tale.

Enter, Night by Michael Rowe and Lights Out by Nate Southard are both great vampire stories.

Scott Thomas has done a number of excellent collections of ghost stories. Try Urn and Willow.

William Meikle and Michael McBride both write great monster stories of various kinds.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Enter, Night by Michael Rowe and Lights Out by Nate Southard are both great vampire stories.

Scott Thomas has done a number of excellent collections of ghost stories. Try Urn and Willow.

William Meikle and Michael McBride both write great monster stories of various kinds.
Thank you! These all sound awesome!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of general horror (even though this may not qualify), has anybody read Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones? I'm looking for something with werewolf themes that doesn't make me want to gouge my brain out with a spoon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I haven't read Mongrels, but everything I have read by Jones has been excellent.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of general horror (even though this may not qualify), has anybody read Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones? I'm looking for something with werewolf themes that doesn't make me want to gouge my brain out with a spoon.

I read and enjoyed Mongrels, but wouldn't call it horror.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

I read and enjoyed Mongrels, but wouldn't call it horror.

Ah good to know. One blurb I read made it sound like it was a big element of the book, and I know Jones has written horror in the past. Still probably going to check it out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Reflections85 posted:

It doesn't feature a government conspiracy and it doesn't include a classic monster like a werewolf or a vampire, but "The Ruins" by Scott Smith is a twisted and unusual take on the horror genre. It was apparently turned into a very poorly reviewed film which I haven't seen but the book is an enjoyably dark and twisted page turner that features an unusual and bizarre situation. Smith does a good job of utilizing the realistic traumas of being stuck in the characters situation (the natural body horror of sustaining physical injuries without advanced medical care, fragile human relationships coming apart under pressure, people reacting in terrible but believable ways to danger or imminent death, the frustration of having to rely on unreliable people etc.) with some very bizarre supernatural horror elements. It's a grim story and best entered without much foreknowledge of the plot, which mostly serves to deliver a bunch of engaging horror set-pieces.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Reflections85 posted:

Joe Hill's NOS4A2 is pretty good. As is Hex, which should also hit the conspiracy angle.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Helsing posted:

It doesn't feature a government conspiracy and it doesn't include a classic monster like a werewolf or a vampire, but "The Ruins" by Scott Smith is a twisted and unusual take on the horror genre. It was apparently turned into a very poorly reviewed film which I haven't seen but the book is an enjoyably dark and twisted page turner that features an unusual and bizarre situation. Smith does a good job of utilizing the realistic traumas of being stuck in the characters situation (the natural body horror of sustaining physical injuries without advanced medical care, fragile human relationships coming apart under pressure, people reacting in terrible but believable ways to danger or imminent death, the frustration of having to rely on unreliable people etc.) with some very bizarre supernatural horror elements. It's a grim story and best entered without much foreknowledge of the plot, which mostly serves to deliver a bunch of engaging horror set-pieces.

I hope you enjoy entire paragraphs about making GBS threads and pissing!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Phanatic posted:

Joe Hill's NOS4A2 is pretty good.

Yeah I can second this. I mean it's really Stephen Kingish, but it's not technically Stephen King, even though it's his son and apparently they look identical.

It's a good horror yarn.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Joe Hill's short story collections are pretty good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Joe Hill's short story collections are pretty good.

20th Century Ghosts is a great collection, but much like later King collections, the actual horror short stories are few and far between. For example, probably the most popular story from the collection, "Pop Art," is absolutely not a horror story.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Reflections85 posted:

Anything you recommend in Year's Best Weird Fiction?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anything you recommend in Year's Best Weird Fiction?

Michael Wehunt's story is good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

ravenkult posted:

I hope you enjoy entire paragraphs about making GBS threads and pissing!

Like I said, natural body horror.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Have you guys read The Fisherman by John Langan?

Cause if you haven't you should.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ravenkult posted:

Michael Wehunt's story is good.

On that note, Michael Wehunt's collection of short stories "Greener Pastures" was really great.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

pixelbaron posted:

On that note, Michael Wehunt's collection of short stories "Greener Pastures" was really great.

Seconding this.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pixelbaron posted:

It's free on Kindle Unlimited, too!

In other news, just finished Occultation and it may have some of my favorite Barron stories to date (though now I kinda want to re-read The Beautiful Thing etc). Really dug The Broadsword, Strappado, --30--... heck most of them. The Lagerstatte didn't really land for me, though I think its because I struggle with Barron's occasional refusal to use quotation marks.

That said, I think I have Barron fatigue... I followed Imago Sequence pretty quickly with Occultation, and it definitely means seeing a lot of the same themes over and over. Not intended as a criticism of Barron, I tend to find that's the case with any short story collection. Gonna have to shift to something else for a bit. In the meantime, though, my wife is interested in reading some Barron, but doesn't really have the time on her hands to read through all the collections. I think the stuff she'd enjoy the most are the Old Leech stories. Anybody have a list handy of the stories that are part of of the Old Leech "mythos"? Gonna comb back through the collections to see if I can remember which ones reference Old Leech or the children or what have you. I know there's a couple that definitely feel like Old Leech stories even if none of it is directly referenced, though.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
As a rule of thumb I think his "Old Leech Cycle" is The Croning, Occultation, The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All, and that Japanese mafia one.

I've been meaning to put together a "Baalphegar Cycle" vs "Old Leech Cycle", so I'll work on one this weekend and be happy to debate people's choices.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

20th Century Ghosts is a great collection, but much like later King collections, the actual horror short stories are few and far between. For example, probably the most popular story from the collection, "Pop Art," is absolutely not a horror story.

I'll admit it's been a few years since I read them. But they should work for anyone who likes Papa King as well.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Also, what's everyone's take on Matthew Bartlett? I've tried getting into his stuff but I just find the writing style off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Helical Nightmares posted:

As a rule of thumb I think his "Old Leech Cycle" is The Croning, Occultation, The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All, and that Japanese mafia one.

I've been meaning to put together a "Baalphegar Cycle" vs "Old Leech Cycle", so I'll work on one this weekend and be happy to debate people's choices.

There are some which are in the same world but don't touch on the Children themselves. The two stories with that immortal magician. I can't remember the names to put to all the Old Leech stories. He's said before he's toying around with a novel sequel to The Croning which would be... Well, it'd have to have more sci-fi elements if he intends to progress a broader plot, I guess. Mysterium Tremendum is probably my favourite Old Leech story.

I must be forgetting something about the Japanese mafia story, I don't remember anything indicating that was in Old Leech continuity.