Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Probably technically ATV thread material (and I have posted there) but the Automation portion of my "home" stuff does.not.work.

I can control all my lights just fine with HOME, and I can get the ATV4 to see I am connected to HOME so I can actually enter new automations, but they just don't go off.

Is there a place to file bug reports for Apple stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

You can restore an iCloud backup just fine.

You can factory reset the phone normally, through iTunes. I don't think the "Erase All Content and Settings" button will work.

So id be better to rest it from iTunes? Is it possible to do it OTA, without hooking the phone up to iTunes on a computer?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

screamin and creamin posted:

Welcome to SA, Mr. Bond! This must be your first mission or something, so let me show you around and tell you about a concept called "sarcasm".

So to lay it all out for you in non-sarcastic terms: A few abrasive curmudgeons here are about 5 years behind the times and unable to shut up about their issues related to syncing their iPhone music with iTunes. It got a little repetitive and annoying after a while and started dominating the discussion here with the usual comments people give in these situations ("OH I THOUGHT WITH APPLE EVERYTHING 'JUST WORKS', SO WHY CAN'T I USE IOS 1.0 ANYMORE, HUH?"), so some people, me among them, tried to tell them to buzz off. That's why I posted that iTunes for Windows isn't supported anymore. It was A JOKE. I hoped they'd get the hint. Looks like they might have, but you didn't.

You sound like an insane person

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rorus Raz posted:

Someone in the headset thread suggested these because they're like 120 dollars off and should be at least a decent bluetooth set
If I could get these but with the EarPod ear mould rather than inner-ear stuff I'd be the happiest man alive. I really like the magnetic thing so it becomes like a necklace when not in use.

Also if using Bluetooth audio output didn't hound the battery on my 6 any time I've tried it

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I ran across this new leather case from Nomad today and its sliiiightly making me think of returning my Apple Leather case for my 7+. They are using Horween leather, which even if its Genuine Leather and not Chromexcel, is still probably a big step up over Apples leather.
It seems really brand new and there is like no comparison reviews out for it yet of any depth, but if they 1) Used better quality leather than apple and 2) Covered bottom lip of the iPhone then I think I would be sold.
I want someone to make an Apple Leather Case-like case out of Shell Cordovan that also doesn't cost $400, shell cordovan would be so perfect for a phone case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rage-saq posted:

I ran across this new leather case from Nomad today and its sliiiightly making me think of returning my Apple Leather case for my 7+. They are using Horween leather, which even if its Genuine Leather and not Chromexcel, is still probably a big step up over Apples leather.
It seems really brand new and there is like no comparison reviews out for it yet of any depth, but if they 1) Used better quality leather than apple and 2) Covered bottom lip of the iPhone then I think I would be sold.
I want someone to make an Apple Leather Case-like case out of Shell Cordovan that also doesn't cost $400, shell cordovan would be so perfect for a phone case.

Thanks for showing me this site. Now I want to get one of their Watch straps.

EDIT: $150 for the one I want. Noooope.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
That looks like knock off trash.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks for showing me this site. Now I want to get one of their Watch straps.

EDIT: $150 for the one I want. Noooope.

Seriously if you are going to spend good money on a leather watch strap get something made from shell cordovan or chromexcel.
This one is pretty good and the other stuff on their store looks great, just add your own adapters.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/235157446/apple-watch-strap-horween-shell-cordovan

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What's so good about "shell cordovan"? It just looks like regular leather to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weedle posted:

What's so good about "shell cordovan"? It just looks like regular leather to me.

It's very high-quality leather that develops really good patina with time. He's very much correct that it's a good choice.

And yeah, that guy's stuff is attractive and reasonably priced. I might grab a brown one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Weedle posted:

It's literally a small step down from Corinthian Leather.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

screamin and creamin posted:

Welcome to SA, Mr. Bond! This must be your first mission or something, so let me show you around and tell you about a concept called "sarcasm".

So to lay it all out for you in non-sarcastic terms: A few abrasive curmudgeons here are about 5 years behind the times and unable to shut up about their issues related to syncing their iPhone music with iTunes. It got a little repetitive and annoying after a while and started dominating the discussion here with the usual comments people give in these situations ("OH I THOUGHT WITH APPLE EVERYTHING 'JUST WORKS', SO WHY CAN'T I USE IOS 1.0 ANYMORE, HUH?"), so some people, me among them, tried to tell them to buzz off. That's why I posted that iTunes for Windows isn't supported anymore. It was A JOKE. I hoped they'd get the hint. Looks like they might have, but you didn't.

Sorry I didn't get your not funny joke! It was far too early in the day for me to confuse this thread for FYAD or GBS. I obviously didn't feel your post was worth reading for any surface level humor.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

reformed bad troll posted:

So id be better to rest it from iTunes? Is it possible to do it OTA, without hooking the phone up to iTunes on a computer?

I don't think you can OTA update from a jailbroken phone.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

TraderStav posted:

It's literally a small step down from Corinthian Leather.

It's the kind of leather that the people who invented the pretend product "Corinthian leather" wanted you to think they were offering.

Here is a good article on the two best types of leather made by Horween, one of the best tanneries that exist
https://ashlandleather.com/pages/horween-genuine-shell-cordovan-vs-chromexcel-what-s-the-difference

There are some other great leathers made in the U.K. and related areas: Dublin leather, English bridal leather, etc but there are more smaller tanneries that have varying levels of quality.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

reformed bad troll posted:

You said "backup", do you actually want to backup anything, restore anything, or just wipe/reset it?

If 1) You can backup your jailbroken iPhone to iCloud just fine.

If 2) You cannot restore a backup onto your JB iPhone without connecting it to a computer with iTunes and updating it to the latest IOS.

If 3) You have to connect the computer to iTunes and update it to the latest IOS, like option 2, but you don't restore the backup.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
A year ago I buy my wife an iphone 6s. Last week she got an iphone 7. I follow the steps on apple's site to log her out of icloud and imessage and erase the device. I turn it on and login to my wifi. It comes up to activation lock. This iphone is linked to an Apple ID. k****@icloud.com

What's that about? No one else has ever used this phone but her and that is not her icloud account. Can I look at her new iphone 7 and see what the icloud account there is to try that info?

I can use the 7 icloud settings to see the 6s+ still. It gives me the IMEI. Should I remove the 6s+ from her icloud settings?

I just don't understand what that icloud email is because we've never used an @icloud email on that phone.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 29, 2016

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hdip posted:

A year ago I buy my wife an iphone 6s.

Is it at all possible you bought the phone from someone else (i.e. a person, not Apple)? Or did someone else have it for a while?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Nope. From the apple store on release day. iup program.

Edit to guy below: If I use my wife's icloud login on the iphone 7 it is not the email address listed on the iphone 6s. If I put the iphone 7 icloud information into the 6s it says that gmail address is not correct.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, the iCloud login account is displayed in Settings.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does her name start with K? The asterisks aren't an indication of how many characters are in the email.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
No her name doesn't start with a K. The email she uses starts with an S. That's why I'm so confused and am already annoyed at iphone.

She doesn't have an @icloud.com email address either. Is there a way I can use the 7 to try and figure out what email it's trying to get me to put?

Hdip fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 29, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ask her friends or something. I mean, there's literally no way that can be there unless someone got to the phone somehow.

e: Anker's bluetooth receiver is only $22 right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176G5TR...ASIN=B0176G5TRO

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 29, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rage-saq posted:

So wait did we decide if this case was awesome or not? I got really confused with all the leather talk.

I mean for $44 it seems like a good buy.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

rage-saq posted:

It looks like Best Buy has this case for $5 less, and you don't need to wait until November to get it.

Edit: I'll have one Monday, and I'll post a first-impressions review. Unfortunately, I won't have a phone to put in it for another week. :cry:

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 29, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It only comes in brown. So it's poo poo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

Seriously if you are going to spend good money on a leather watch strap get something made from shell cordovan or chromexcel.
This one is pretty good and the other stuff on their store looks great, just add your own adapters.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/235157446/apple-watch-strap-horween-shell-cordovan

I was gonna back the Nomad products as they use Horween natural leather, but yeah, shell cordovan is a step up from that, and it (the etsy band) is cheaper. Very tempting.

I mean, $91 is a bit much for how much leather you get (shell cordovan is expensive to produce and buy in any case,) but it's unquestionably a higher quality leather than whatever Apple uses in theirs (excluding, possibly, the Hermès bands, but lol)

MarcusSA posted:

So wait did we decide if this case was awesome or not? I got really confused with all the leather talk.

I never ended up getting one, but I'm positive it's a way better product than the Apple leather case. Just do know that it will age (read: darken and "look like poo poo") over time; I know a bunch of people didn't know that going into the Apple leather cases and considered it defective and/or undesirable.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 29, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

MarcusSA posted:

I don't know, its really new and I think it has the possibility to one-up the apple leather case at its own game, which would be saying a lot because the apple leather case is pretty great.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It only comes in brown. So it's poo poo.

Actually it also comes in dark grey and blue according to Best Buys website! I would like a black myself but the gray is pretty dark and their brown doesn't look bad. The dark gray will probably age into black.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nomad-case-for-apple-iphone-7-plus-brown/5578886.p?skuId=5578886
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nomad-leather-case-for-apple-iphone-7-plus-gray/5578884.p?skuId=5578884
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nomad-leather-case-for-apple-iphone-7-plus-blue/5578885.p?skuId=5578885

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Is there any other way to get this iphone working? Is the next genius bar appointment seriously not for a week?!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hdip posted:

Is there any other way to get this iphone working? Is the next genius bar appointment seriously not for a week?!

A new iPhone was recently released, that's the norm around these times.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Hdip posted:

I would try to walk in and speak to someone directly and see if they can help you even without an appointment. I've had reasonable success in the recent past doing that when necessary.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

To be completely honest, the Apple Store won't be able to help you unless you have a receipt of purchase tied to your email or a physical one. You might be able to get by if you have the credit card used to purchase it and your ID, but if you have literally none of those things, you may be SOL.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hdip posted:

You might not get very far with the Genius Bar. The iCloud account on the phone is basically the owner of the phone and its how the owner of the phone can brick the device if its been stolen.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
As long as they can help me that's fine. I have the receipt, and all the loan payments, and the receipt for when I paid off the loan last week.

My wife had to change her facebook password awhile back. Could her phone have been "hacked"? She changed her icloud password around the same time I think. We've never had an @icloud email address. She's had the same email address for 10 years at least. Oh well, last post in the thread hopefully. Thanks for help guys.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Make sure the receipt lists the serial etc.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hdip posted:

A year ago I buy my wife an iphone 6s. Last week she got an iphone 7. I follow the steps on apple's site to log her out of icloud and imessage and erase the device. I turn it on and login to my wifi. It comes up to activation lock. This iphone is linked to an Apple ID. k****@icloud.com

What's that about? No one else has ever used this phone but her and that is not her icloud account. Can I look at her new iphone 7 and see what the icloud account there is to try that info?

I can use the 7 icloud settings to see the 6s+ still. It gives me the IMEI. Should I remove the 6s+ from her icloud settings?

I just don't understand what that icloud email is because we've never used an @icloud email on that phone.
Is there any music synced via iTunes on your computer to the phone? Sorted your music by AAC files and see if there any music that was not purchased by your wife's account. Sometimes if there's :filez: that didn't have their DRM removed it can cause similar issues re: asking for an iCloud login you've never heard of.

Since you said you erased the device I assume it's not that, but worth checking out just in case.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah sometimes if you torrent music or something and just drag files into iTunes someone's iTunes account "sticks."

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just got off the phone with Apple to purchase AppleCare. Rep was awesome and the experience was painless. According to him, they just updated their payment systems which is causing issues/headaches. He originally tried to have me purchase it via the internet but it predictably failed. He ended up just running it manually over the phone.

10/10 would buy AppleCare over the phone again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hdip was your iPhone ever jail broken?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

After reading the last few pages of iTunes shitshow debate, I'm about to reopen it. I don't mind paying the $0.99 a month but I'm having trouble justifying switching 'fully' to iCloud. Looking for constructive feedback.

-I use Google for Contacts, Email, Calendar, and Notes vs anything Apple in-house
-Spotify for music plus anything that's locally synced to my device via them to save on streaming costs
-Dropbox for automatic photo backup and Flickr for long term storage of albums
-Lastpass for passwords vs Keychain although I'm considering switching to 1Password

The rest, including Backups are turned on.

Decent setup or room for improvement? I have a MacBook Pro along with a Windows PC so I'm not exactly tied to the Apple ecosystem.

Lastly, AppleCare+ for $129? Geez...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Move your contacts, calendars, photos, and notes to icloud, one less thing to worry about. Keep using lastpass since Keychain doesn't work on Windows, yet.