Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I'm downloading the DLC case right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I'm downloading the DLC case right now.

It's out early?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
It's past midnight here, so I figured I'd check, and it was there.

Problem is, I need to be up early in the morning, so starting it now would be a bad idea. I really want to though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can confirm it's out in Australia too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thank you. :D

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished AAI2-1. I thought it started out a bit slow, though once De Killer came onto the scene, things seemed to pick up.

Also, it's weird going back to sprites when the last three AA games I played were AA5, PLvs.PW, and AA6.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

The whole time I played through this particular case I was thrown off by the fact that a non-1st case was spoiled by the opening cutscene. The whole time I expected that what that cutscene shows wasn't the real moment of the crime or that we were not shown some important detail, but of course it wasn't, they just decided to show who the killer was in the opening for no reason.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

13/f/cali posted:

The whole time I played through this particular case I was thrown off by the fact that a non-1st case was spoiled by the opening cutscene. The whole time I expected that what that cutscene shows wasn't the real moment of the crime or that we were not shown some important detail, but of course it wasn't, they just decided to show who the killer was in the opening for no reason.

AA1 did that in case 2 as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

13/f/cali posted:

They do that in case 1-2 as well. And I could swear they did it in another case 2.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lurdiak posted:

They do that in case 1-2 as well. And I could swear they did it in another case 2.

They make who the killer in 3-3 is very obvious at least, from the silhouette

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think the cutscene in the SoJ demo giving away the killer in the first case was in the actual game, it just had the introductory scene with Ahlbi.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I feel it's worth noting how half of the first cases don't even show you the murderer. 2-1 didn't show him in the act, even if he was obviously villainous, and in 3, 4, 6, I and I2-1 they don't give you anything.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think the cutscene in the SoJ demo giving away the killer in the first case was in the actual game, it just had the introductory scene with Ahlbi.

no it was

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

AlphaKretin posted:

I feel it's worth noting how half of the first cases don't even show you the murderer. 2-1 didn't show him in the act, even if he was obviously villainous, and in 3, 4, 6, I and I2-1 they don't give you anything.

:objection:

Ace Attorney Investigations does show you the culprit in the intro to the first case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyySsNKbmY0

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

:objection:

Ace Attorney Investigations does show you the culprit in the intro to the first case!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyySsNKbmY0

this guy is #6 on my best prosecutors list

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jacques Portsman's Japanese name is the same as the protagonist of the Persona 3 movies, so obviously this is a dark timeline.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I could barely remember the intro, my bad. All I remembered was the silhouette holding up Edgeworth. Remembering more clearly now that wasn't even Portsman.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's the dark timeline for us too because it still hurts we'll never get an official AAI-2 localization. Or hell, even Dai.

I want all the ace attorney games injected into me :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At least we have a decent patch for AAI2.

I refuse to play the "Actually It's About Accuracy In Localization" version of Dai Gyakuten Saiban

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if DGS1 and DGS2 aren't released together as some kind of single game in the the West.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Great Ace Attorney: The Adventure and Resolve of Hermes Wright

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love in the original DL-6 case that Yogi was apparently declared innocent due to lack of evidence. Some kind of bizarro world. :confused:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love that the DL-6 incident was somehow so baffling that they needed to call in a spirit medium.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I refuse to play the "Actually It's About Accuracy In Localization" version of Dai Gyakuten Saiban

You can't say that without sharing some of the spergy horrors lurking within it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say that without sharing some of the spergy horrors lurking within it.

Well, it doesn't actually exist yet, but it's being planned by the same people who did the FE Fates patch that was a lynchpin of the whole complaining about that. They've already expressed that it's going to be a literal translation and they're not even going to attempt to recreate the tone of the official translations

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think any of us have played it, we just know it's from the same people behind the FE Fates re-translation and that's a rabbit hole to stay far away from.

E:fb

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Did they ever give a reason for not localizing Dai Gyakuten?

I mean the only real issue I can see (Let me tell you about my Japanese ancestor) is something that's easily wrote around.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I mean the only real issue I can see (Let me tell you about my Japanese ancestor) is something that's easily wrote around.

No, but it's understandable considering the lukewarm reception and complaints it got in Japan combined with the main sticking point of it really only being half of a story. They probably didn't want to waste the localization budget for a game they were not sure would be getting the sequel that would conclude its story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sea Sponge Run posted:

They said there were "certain circumstances" preventing them from localizing it, which is so infuriatingly vague it's almost worse than if they just said nothing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Poque posted:

I love in the original DL-6 case that Yogi was apparently declared innocent due to lack of evidence. Some kind of bizarro world. :confused:

Not only did that predate the court system overhaul, Yogi was declared innocent due to insanity, a dirty strategy used by his lawyer that kinda ruined his life since he had to ACT crazy to get it to stick.

Learn the lore.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Fedule posted:

I had no idea.

I think this is a tiny bit of a localisation misstep? I'unno, it just seems to fall on the wrong side of things you'd expect not-Japanners to pick up on. I guess it didn't make anything completely incomprehensible, so that's something, especially in a case that hinges on the difference between soba and udon noodles.

The amazing thing with case 4's localization is that they gave them brand new Japanese names so the puns work phonetically in english.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Calico Heart posted:

Just some random dialogue from case 3 I found funny:

"If I find out you have lied to me, I shall curse your family and your disciples for eight generations!"

"Hey, leave Apollo and Athena out of this!"

No mention of your loving daughter there, Nick? Do the games ever bring up that Phoenix is middle-aged and has had one girlfriend in his entire life?

I just want somebody to mention poor Iris again.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Jsor posted:

I just want somebody to mention poor Iris again.

I'm sorry, but she's dead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

Not only did that predate the court system overhaul, Yogi was declared innocent due to insanity, a dirty strategy used by his lawyer that kinda ruined his life since he had to ACT crazy to get it to stick.

Learn the lore.

I never got how that worked. Was it declared that he could not possibly have killed a dude because he was busy suffering brain damage, or was the insanity plea just a freebie that allowed for a complete acquittal even if you did kill someone?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

I never got how that worked. Was it declared that he could not possibly have killed a dude because he was busy suffering brain damage, or was the insanity plea just a freebie that allowed for a complete acquittal even if you did kill someone?

Do... do you not get how insanity pleas work in general?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Truly, we have entered The Dark Age of the Lore.

E: That is not going to work with a rhotic accent. Feh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kajeesus posted:

A plea of insanity means that, although you killed a person, you did not have the requisite mental state to commit the crime of murder because you didn't understand what you were doing in some sense. In that sense it's become legally considered an accident, sort of. In that a death happened, but it's no one's fault. However, you'd probably get yourself committed to a mental hospital instead of just walking free.

Mental state (known as mens rea) is an important element in most crimes, but especially murder. If you accidentally killed someone, for example, that's manslaughter.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 29, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kajeesus posted:

With an insanity plea he'd have to play insane for a long time in an institution; too short and he'll be found and put in the slammer.

Anyway it's not really a big deal because this is the same case that says "accidental murder is still murder".

e: ^This says the same thing, but better.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 29, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

People probably already know this but the DLC case is available for purchase/download in NA now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

People probably already know this but the DLC case is available for purchase/download in NA now.
It seems going to sleep isn't a thing I need to do tonight now so I'm going to go grab this.