Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Who is the goon that worked at the movie place in Mapo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ladron posted:

If you tell us where you are at, I'm sure one of us can give you exact directions to get a plug adapter

I can PM someone in the AM but my net (piggybacking off a teacher down the hall) doesn't seem to like me for whatever reason.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

oldman posted:

Next weekend is the 막걸리 festival in Gapyeong (the place you go when you want to go to Nami island) I went last year and had a real great (drunk) time.
I also went last year and it was pretty fun. Susubori offered a free intro class for makgeolli making that was kinda cool, and is required if you want to continue their makgeolli brewing program.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

nervana posted:

Who is the goon that worked at the movie place in Mapo?
Same guy that runs the Korean film thread, I believe.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unfunny Poster posted:

I can PM someone in the AM but my net (piggybacking off a teacher down the hall) doesn't seem to like me for whatever reason.

To follow up. I am just a few blocks from Guri Station. There's a Lotte and Himart nearby so I guess that's my best bet?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 29, 2016

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Unfunny Poster posted:

To follow up. I am just a few blocks from Guri Station. There's a Lotte and Himart nearby so I guess that's my best bet?

ET Land doesn't look that far, but a Emart or Home plus would have what you need too probably.

https://www.dianping.com/shop/19806754

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

ET Land doesn't look that far, but a Emart or Home plus would have what you need too probably.

https://www.dianping.com/shop/19806754

Cool I will try to check it out. Do BoA debit cards tend to work here or is that a no go?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Unfunny Poster posted:

Cool I will try to check it out. Do BoA debit cards tend to work here or is that a no go?

maybe. but getting cash from a 711 atm almost always works.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

Emart and Home plus usually have Korean>US adapters from my experience but not US>Korean.

If your card is Visa/MC it should work.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Yeah but if she takes her us laptop cable they should be able to sell her a Korean pronged one. Just double check that your power supply does 220 or 240 or whatever. Most modern computers do.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Don't be afraid of looking stupid or whatever if your card doesn't work. Most Koreans feel that you are an idiot anyhow because you're not Korean and your blood is probably mixed like some kind of street dog.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

Yeah but if she takes her us laptop cable they should be able to sell her a Korean pronged one. Just double check that your power supply does 220 or 240 or whatever. Most modern computers do.

I am a dude, dude.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am a dude, dude.

that's a good choice in terms of urination convenience, but you are going to wind up paying more for drinks, so...

EDIT - if you need wifi, just walk into literally any coffeeshop

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ladron posted:

that's a good choice in terms of urination convenience, but you are going to wind up paying more for drinks, so...

EDIT - if you need wifi, just walk into literally any coffeeshop

I don't drink much but good to know. As for WiFi that's sorted for now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't drink much but good to know.

No, you're in Korea.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Unfunny Poster posted:

give it time

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

They don't call Koreans the Irish of Asia for nothing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AmbientParadox posted:

How many potato famines were there?!?!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

You jest but in 2014 it was impossible to find Honey Butter Chips anywhere in Korea. Goons became so desperate, they were forced to buy 6 packs of Asahi just for the single honey butter chip taped to the pack.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am a dude, dude.

Meh, any port in the storm.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmbientParadox posted:

You jest but in 2014 it was impossible to find Honey Butter Chips anywhere in Korea. Goons became so desperate, they were forced to buy 6 packs of Asahi just for the single honey butter chip taped to the pack.

Ahh the days of modern day potato famine.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AmbientParadox posted:

Those poor brave souls. :911:

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

밥 먹었어요?
문제 없어요?

An old student of mine, an orthopedic surgeon, explained these expressions a couple years ago to me. We all should know the first, "Have you eaten?"; but the second, "No problems (last night)?", comes from the time before Korea's economic boom, when starving people would boil and eat whatever they could, often times leading to great pain or death. The question implies, "Anybody you know die last night?" It's hard to see that poor Korea in today's wealthy society, but it's left its mark on the language. Granted, other East Asian languages have it too, Taiwanese say Ja-ba-way?, and I don't think they had a famine in recent history.

The same student proposed to his wife by saying, not by directly asking her to marry him, or by inviting her to meet his parents, but by saying "Stay with me and you'll never be hungry."

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AmbientParadox posted:

I learned this first hand tonight at the apparently only local expat bar. Good times.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
I'm spending the weekend looking up the final parts but I nearly have my Korea trip planned, just looking on ideas for two parts of it.

November the 4th we checkout of our hotel near Sokcho and then on the 7th we fly to Jeju from Busan.
Is there anything worth looking at along the way from Sokcho to Busan or just head straight there?

Jeju island, any recommendations where to stay?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd stop at Gyeongju. You'll be getting plenty of beachside town and seafood in Jeju so there's no reason to spend much time in Busan.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There is a penis park in Samcheok and a bunch of other nice things near Sokcho.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SPM posted:

I'm spending the weekend looking up the final parts but I nearly have my Korea trip planned, just looking on ideas for two parts of it.

November the 4th we checkout of our hotel near Sokcho and then on the 7th we fly to Jeju from Busan.
Is there anything worth looking at along the way from Sokcho to Busan or just head straight there?

Jeju island, any recommendations where to stay?

There is a good amount of cool stuff between Sokcho and Busan, but Busan itself is interesting enough that you might want to spend your time there. If you have time to both stop and do Busan, then Gyeongju is a good day trip.

No specific accommodation recommendations for Jeju, but I do recommend finding a place in the main southern city, not the north and not the big cluster of resorts in the south west.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I recommend stopping in Daejeon and checking out the signs that say "It's Daejeon."

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

No specific accommodation recommendations for Jeju, but I do recommend finding a place in the main southern city, not the north and not the big cluster of resorts in the south west.

The southeast has a number of resorts and hotels over there. Check that out. I found the southwest to be generally boring.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ladron posted:

If you tell us where you are at, I'm sure one of us can give you exact directions to get a plug adapter

i can give him directions right now without knowing where he is:

• go on gmarket.co.kr
  • buy an adapter via paypal
  • wait for 1 day and answer the door when the delivery guy knocks

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
Perfect, thanks for the ideas!

Is there a decent website that does bus or route directions?

SPM fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 3, 2016

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

SPM posted:

Perfect, thanks for the ideas!

Is there a decent website that does bus or route directions?

Im a big fan of https://map.naver.com. On the left, select the wavy arrow. Then drop the two pins to make the route.

Once you get a smart phone sorted out, get the naver maps app to do that, but on mobile, as well as checking specific bus routes.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

http://www.kobus.co.kr/web/eng_new/schedule.jsp

Is surprisingly not that awful for intercity express bus routes. It doesn't have any booking, though--for that you'll have to use the Korean site or book at the terminal as far as I know.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just learn how to use naver or daum maps.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
There's a new express bus app that is nice.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Gonna be in Seoul for a week, just wondering about wifi options or if i even need to bother?

does free wifi blanket the entire city or should I grab a wifi egg... or how are those olleh kt prepaid pins?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Angry Asian posted:

Gonna be in Seoul for a week, just wondering about wifi options or if i even need to bother?

does free wifi blanket the entire city or should I grab a wifi egg... or how are those olleh kt prepaid pins?

If I were you I would do the Wifi Egg because it would work almost anywhere you go as you keep it in your pocket/purse/up your butthole.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Love Stole the Day posted:

If I were you I would do the Wifi Egg because it would work almost anywhere you go as you keep it in your pocket/purse/up your butthole.

yeah, but if he's only going to be there a week and can get free wifi from literally every place that he walks into.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just depends on how convenient you need it to be. There's plenty of free wifi but you do have to go somewhere to get it, instead of it just being on you all the time.