Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chilichimp posted:

You are both wrong. It's a fine show. It takes TV tech trolling to new heights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

CSI: Cyber? TURN LEFT, HOLLYWOOD!

I thought I read somewhere that this scene was the culmination of the writers trying to come up with the most ridiculous tech scene possible. Like, they kept on one upping each other and this was the eventual winner.

Not sure if it tops the "code carved into bone so when the computer scans it forms a virus that makes the computers overheat" scene from Bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

I thought I read somewhere that this scene was the culmination of the writers trying to come up with the most ridiculous tech scene possible. Like, they kept on one upping each other and this was the eventual winner.

Not sure if it tops the "code carved into bone so when the computer scans it forms a virus that makes the computers overheat" scene from Bones.

I forgot that one! They're both loving poetry.

At least when Sherlock did this to us, they had the good sense to make it all a hoax perpetrated by a mastermind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

er.

That's so loving insane it almost makes me want to watch Bones, but then I remember the show stars the lesser talented Deschanel sister and Angel with jowls.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hey that picture of that guy that was just murdered by the police came from video shot by a witness. The cops selected that frame despite other witnesses saying he wasn't holding anything and his hands were often up. Big surprise the full video hasn't been released! Don't trust the loving cops.
see (again): my prev point on need for better body cam legislation

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

have body cams automatically stream to Youtube and not able to be turned off by the cop wearing it, that'd be tight

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kirios posted:

Y'know...I've got a couple of sysadmins I work with that swear by that show. I really should just sit down and watch it.

They have a tech consultant who reads all the scripts and even goes through the trouble of recreating the hacks he's unsure of to make sure they stay true to real life.

Also it's just an awesome show in general.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife watches Bones and that show turned to poo poo when they sent the best character to jail and off the show but apparently he's back now and maybe it won't be poo poo anymore?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quest For Glory II posted:

have body cams automatically stream to Youtube and not able to be turned off by the cop wearing it, that'd be tight

You're getting into privacy issues now, I got burgled and let the cops into my house voluntarily, but I wouldn't want them live streaming that poo poo, and I bet people who have their homes illegally searched wouldn't want a live stream of that either.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That's so loving insane it almost makes me want to watch Bones, but then I remember the show stars the lesser talented Deschanel sister and Angel with jowls.

Yeah, but she's got great cans.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Quest For Glory II posted:

As a punk rear end white thug with intentions of kicking black rear end on the street (jk), I wouldn't go out there without a body cam. You know how many times people claim you abused or raped them when you're dealing with the mentally ill or scumbags in general? A camera protects me and proves I have nothing to hide. I loving love cameras.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, but she's got great cans.

She is like the MILF version of Zooey. Actually, the show does have some highlights, like Billy Gibbs playing himself in a couple episodes. Its a decent procedural for the first couple seasons, then they have to get more creative and wacky, so you have that bone virus poo poo happen.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

She is like the MILF version of Zooey. Actually, the show does have some highlights, like Billy Gibbs playing himself in a couple episodes. Its a decent procedural for the first couple seasons, then they have to get more creative and wacky, so you have that bone virus poo poo happen.

True of pretty much all character-driven procedurals. Once the characters become caricatures, the show's not really worth watching anymore.

NCIS has somehow managed to not fall into this trap, but I think it's because the characters have BEEN caricatures from the moment of their introduction. Right down to the Israeli Spy who can't properly use American idioms. God damnit, is NCIS really about the loving story and not the whacky players?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/781307560657838080
thanks Obama

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

thanks Obama

"Try to understand each others points of view"

God, what a cuck, amirite guys? ...guys?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Colin has no idea the pain him kneeling has caused me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chilichimp posted:

"Try to understand each others points of view"

God, what a cuck, amirite guys? ...guys?

I think he understands the view that " I don't like black people" well enough.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

thanks Obama

Nvm. Im too white for that joke.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

obama is a cornball brother

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My wife goes from power watching NCIS to power watching Bones.

The science...
:ughh:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

The science...

Same, when shes not rewatching friends for the 100th time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i miss terriers

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Darth Brooks posted:

The science...

This but also every other detective show on Netflix and Hulu.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
TV shows are bad and dumb. Even more bad and dumb than unarmed people getting shot by cops.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Magicpants posted:

TV shows are bad and dumb. Even more bad and dumb than unarmed people getting shot by cops.

Wait, so Fuller House is worse than a black man being shot by a cop who's afraid of an autistic?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

The science...

NCIS
Bones
Criminal Minds

over
and
over
and
over

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

its all nice on rice posted:

Wait, so Fuller House is worse than a black man being shot by a cop who's afraid of an autistic?

At least he didn't get shot because the cop was afraid of blacks. Who says America isn't improving?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Spoeank posted:

thanks Obama

Did this year just loving break everyone's brains.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

its all nice on rice posted:

You must be trying to set up the alley oop because how could you have chosen Fuller House out of all the shows to make this point?

Look, if you put a gun to a black guy's head and forced me to choose between listening to a laugh track over prepackaged non-jokes or murdering innocent civilians out of culturally-ingrained processing biases,

well, lets just say some things aren't worth dying over, some things are worth other people dying over.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I'm proud to live in a country where our youth and heroes travel overseas to die imposing our will on poorer countries so that I have the freedom to watch godawful policework in both fiction and real life

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spoeank posted:

thanks Obama
Why does he still care about trying to appease the people who are never going to like him? gently caress them and go scorched earth.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gynecolojustice posted:

I would never want to be a cop, but I would love to be a detective

Watching McNulty on The Wire made me consider wanting to be a cop for like 2 seconds just so I could be a detective.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

weird Asian candy posted:

Mentally ill is another term for unstable. Knowing he was mentally ill only heightened their stress levels...when a mentally ill individual acting erratic assumes a shooting position on you, are you saying you would take the time out to verify that said mentally ill person does not have a gun before choosing appropriate action? We are talking milliseconds here and life or death in the officer's mind.

no, I wouldn't take time out to verify that said mentally ill person did not have a gun before choosing appropriate action, because I am not a cop, and have not gone through police academy, and I am not entrusted with the public welfare, nor am I paid to do any of those things. However, That Is The Cop's Chosen Profession And If They Haven't Received Adequate Training Or Simply Cannot Perform Well They Should Not Be Cops.

I hate when pigs try to pull out bullshit justifications like this. nobody in any other job gets away with it. does a mail carrier ever get to say "well I handle a billion pieces of mail every day, are you saying that YOU would deliver them all to the right house??!" do you ever hear a firefighter say "well it was really hot, are you telling me YOU would of ran into the burning building!?" gently caress outta here with this nonsense. no, motherfucker, that's what you do, so do it.

e:

seiferguy posted:

One of the nights of the DNC was literally dedicated to the Mothers of the Movement (aka the parents of Trayvon Martin / Sandra Bland / Eric Garner etc). I'm not sure that''s ostracizing them.

yeah, except for the one(s) that didn't endorse Hillary. political expedience isn't the kind of motivation you can believe in.

indigi fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 29, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

i miss terriers

This... Donal Logue missed his calling as a scummy private eye.

Man that show was rad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

achillesforever6 posted:

Why does he still care about trying to appease the people who are never going to like him? gently caress them and go scorched earth.

Because, as mentioned before, even a majority of white democrats are against Colin Kaepernick.

Something something, lesser of two evils.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Chichevache posted:

I have said this before and I will say it again, for mental health crises the worst thing you can do (unless you live in one of the very few cities that has actual mental health support trained officers or whatever they call it in your region) is call the police. Especially if the patient is male. Cops are absolutely terrified of "weirdos" and most have no ability to deal with them except with force, which is absolutely the wrong choice.

I suffer from alcoholism and depression and even my whitebread, hates Democrats and Hillary mother has told me that she's afraid of the idea of calling the police if she ever thought I was in danger of hurting myself. The reason being that she thinks that the police would probably hurt or kill me.

She rolled her eyes when I explained to her how the Richard Sherman hate was largely racially motivated but she knows racism because she married a Mexican man and was harassed by racists while she was pregnant with me.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 29, 2016

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

indigi posted:

because I am not a cop, and have not gone through police academy, and I am not entrusted with the public welfare, nor am I paid to do any of those things.

And yet you feel you know better than they do having never stepped foot in their shoes.

I also love that you called them pigs when it's probably a very safe bet you have never had any interaction with police involving more than a speeding ticket or traffic accident. Dem pigs tho, amirite?! gently caress tha police! Such a hot take!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

And yet you feel you know better than they do having never stepped foot in their shoes.

I also love that you called them pigs when it's probably a very safe bet you have never had any interaction with police involving more than a speeding ticket or traffic accident. Dem pigs tho, amirite?! gently caress tha police! Such a hot take!

Maybe they should step into a large black man's shoes at some point.

Maybe this whole thing boils down to shoes.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

Maybe this whole thing boils down to shoes.

Such is life, my friend.

*queues up Air Force Ones*

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

I think when much of the military world, many in the martial arts world, many in the negotiation world, and many (behind closed doors, lest they piss on the shield) cops even look at this poo poo and laugh in a halting, horrified manner that we should probably do something about the poo poo training these cops get.

Of course, it goes back to the frailty of many professions, most notably the priesthood with the child sexual abuse scandals, in that there's a bad shortage. Lost in the "just bad apples, them" argument is that it's a little hard to stick by that when you're constantly recycling the bad apples back into the cart once their rotten spots have been noticed, just making sure it's a cart on a different street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

big juicy nectarine posted:

I think when much of the military world, many in the martial arts world, many in the negotiation world, and many (behind closed doors, lest they piss on the shield) cops even look at this poo poo and laugh in a halting, horrified manner that we should probably do something about the poo poo training these cops get.

Of course, it goes back to the frailty of many professions, most notably the priesthood with the child sexual abuse scandals, in that there's a bad shortage. Lost in the "just bad apples, them" argument is that it's a little hard to stick by that when you're constantly recycling the bad apples back into the cart once their rotten spots have been noticed, just making sure it's a cart on a different street.

Agreed.

Like I said earlier, and has been said by many posters, the problem is the training and their inability to discern actual threat from paranoia. I have spoken to many police officers about this, why not shoot them in the leg or arm or just tase them or use pepper spray or the list goes on and on, and every one of them said they are trained to "eliminate the threat" and they all have the "it's either them or me, and it won't be me" mentality. The issue is training, you are all absolutely correct.

And it is just going to keep getting recycled, garbage in = garbage out. It's going to take a complete reformation on law enforcement training and tactics, and probably a few generations for all this to begin falling to the wayside.

e:

And they need to start being held accountable for their actions. Every incident should be reviewed, every killing should be a court case like every other person in this country would receive. The system is way flawed.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 29, 2016

• Locked thread