Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Akuma posted:

The chalice dungeon related trophies are the real time sinks.

I don't think I'll ever beat that loving dog

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

:shittydog:

If you're a SKI build, come back with the Bowblade and laugh and laugh at both him and Amygdala. They're hopeless against sustained long-range attacks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kanonvandekempen posted:

50 vitality and the spooky skeleton armor goes a long way towards making that suck a little less.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

:shittydog:

If you're a SKI build, come back with the Bowblade and laugh and laugh at both him and Amygdala. They're hopeless against sustained long-range attacks.
I'd imagine this is also true of ARC and the Blacksky Eye...?

I did it the old fashioned way by bopping him on the nose with a transformed LHB...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is the merchant in untended graves supposed to be the same woman in the past? Why come she doesn't comment on anything once you find her and talk to her in the lit shrine? The whole connection between the three versions of firelink is confusing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

FedEx Mercury posted:

Is the merchant in untended graves supposed to be the same woman in the past? Why come she doesn't comment on anything once you find her and talk to her in the lit shrine? The whole connection between the three versions of firelink is confusing.

If you never speak with her at firelink until after you meet her at untended graves her opening dialogue changes ever so slightly. That's all you get.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They liked the old biddy firekeepers a lot it seems.

Though my interpretation is that she's goddamn ancient, and has seen a shitload of cycles, and nothing she does or says will change anything.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I think it's the old firekeeper's voice that narrates the ending as well if you do the "I'm a total fucker" variant of the End of Fire, and she just takes that in stride too.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

lite_sleepr posted:

Blue Sentinels get the same concords, so can you turn in concords earned as a blue sentinel instead?

yes, and unless you're doing a low level challenge run on purpose, that's by far easier to do than playing all the way to anor londo at SL20

FedEx Mercury posted:

I've always been partial to the idea that the Firelink you inhabit with Ludleth and all the other NPCs is actually a pocket dimension, and the one that's hidden behind the crazy dragon dad is the real one.

all of the champion gundyr lore talks about how he was supposed to be the unkindled champion but he showed up "too late" so he wasn't able to actually change anything. Ludleth being a lord of fire isn't ever explained in explicit detail, but I can see him being another unkindled from the real Lothric and just barely managing to link the fires (losing both his legs in the process) and when he finally attains his lordship, his first act is to recreate Firelink and try to reboot the whole cycle.

plus, the Firelink you inhabit doesn't actually connect to anything, even though it's placed in the same "space" as the dead Firelink.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I've always been partial to the idea that the Firelink you inhabit with Ludleth and all the other NPCs is actually a pocket dimension, and the one that's hidden behind the crazy dragon dad is the real one.

This checks out, IMO. The Firelink Shrine you level up in isn't connected to the rest of the world like Dark Firelink is, also explains why someone like Andre is just hanging out there and how everyone is capable of just teleporting there when you recruit them, even if they're in a cage like Cornyx. They couldn't go there until they met you or else they would have, so maybe that Light Firelink is a phenomenon centered on the Champion of Ash. The other area you teleport to that's disconnected from the rest of the world is Archdragon Peak, which is either a destination in your dreams or in a dream of one of its inhabitants. Maybe Light Firelink is a dream, too? But if so, who's? Yours? Ludleth's?

That's all the vaatying I've got on the subject.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I 100% buy Untended Graves being the "real" Firelink and our home base being a place constructed by Ludleth and the Maiden as an emergency contingency. Graves connects to the world, Shrine doesn't. Champion Gundyr is a real badass, Iudex Gundyr is a weaker copy that acts as a test for Ashen Ones to (as title suggests) judge if they're worthy of the quest. You also get an actual coiled sword fragment from Champion.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I 100% buy Untended Graves being the "real" Firelink and our home base being a place constructed by Ludleth and the Maiden as an emergency contingency. Graves connects to the world, Shrine doesn't. Champion Gundyr is a real badass, Iudex Gundyr is a weaker copy that acts as a test for Ashen Ones to (as title suggests) judge if they're worthy of the quest. You also get an actual coiled sword fragment from Champion.

The sword fragment is from the shrine in the Untended Graves, not Champion.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
But Untended Graves is dark, whereas the rest of the world isn't. And none of that explains where/what the kiln is.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Does anyone use the pig shield?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Untended Graves is a confusing mess and I've never read a theory about it that didn't have a hole somewhere.

Azuth0667 posted:

Does anyone use the pig shield?

I don't think there's any mechanical reason to use it over other shields so you'd only want it for, uh, "fashion".

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Internet Kraken posted:

Untended Graves is a big huge confusing mess and I've never read a theory about it that didn't have a hole somewhere.

I don't think there's any mechanical reason to use it over other shields so you'd only want it for, uh, "fashion".

I think it oinks when you shield bash people.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
This guy used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqu8XbIOMJ8

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

This game needs chain lightning so I can clown on all these gank squads I keep running into.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FedEx Mercury posted:

But Untended Graves is dark, whereas the rest of the world isn't. And none of that explains where/what the kiln is.

I don't really have anything to say to this, other than Untended Graves might be the nexus from which a new Age of Dark is spreading and it hasn't reached the other areas yet, or it may be located in the physical Abyss somehow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the untended graves are from an alternate reality where the firekeeper forgot to pay the electric bill and was later evicted

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Does anyone have a solaire set they'd be willing to gift me?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lite_sleepr posted:

Does anyone have a solaire set they'd be willing to gift me?

sorry i always vendor mine

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Deified Data posted:

This checks out, IMO. The Firelink Shrine you level up in isn't connected to the rest of the world like Dark Firelink is

Players have noclipped through the way you enter dark firelink in the light firelink area and they end up in the same place you enter the dark firelink shrine from, the area right after Oceiros. If you double back from there though you do end up in Dark Firelink. While it's only a one way trip out, Light firelink is not separated from the rest of the world; rather, both it and dark firelink occupy the same exact physical space on the map. Pretty spooky! Also confusing.

The biggest issue I have with Dark Firelink being the real one is that there's seemingly no indication of darkness or abyss (whatever you want to call it) from any part of the map that you should be able to see it from. like the top of Lothric Castle. I don't exactly buy that the darkness is something you can only see until you're inside of it, since the linking of the fire seems to be heavily linked to the sun itself, and the sun is clearly perfectly healthy in the game (well, at least for the first half of the game).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I love the Four Kings area of the abyss but as the series has gone on it seems very inconsistent with the rest, even the Artorias DLC. It's the only instance of "the abyss" that's a complete black void and you need special protection or you instantly die, but when you fight Manus and do the DS2 abyss stuff it's just dark and stoney and just like anywhere else.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Maybe that's just what the Abyss' endgame is? It takes a while for it to take over completely.

But really, it's just cause it's hard to do anything with it level design wise if it's always just a black void.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

untended graves reminds me of the lynch film "lost highway" in that it sort of presents this tricky logic puzzle and makes no sense but goddamn does it have an amazing and ominous vibe

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

untended graves reminds me of the lynch film "lost highway" in that it sort of presents this tricky logic puzzle and makes no sense but goddamn does it have an amazing and ominous vibe

Why are there silver knights in it?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

lite_sleepr posted:

Seems like the appropriate level of difficulty for that area.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lite_sleepr posted:

Maybe they have nowhere else to go.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Black Knights, probably to further associate the area with the Kiln of the First Flame.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Deified Data posted:

This checks out, IMO. The Firelink Shrine you level up in isn't connected to the rest of the world like Dark Firelink is, also explains why someone like Andre is just hanging out there and how everyone is capable of just teleporting there when you recruit them, even if they're in a cage like Cornyx. They couldn't go there until they met you or else they would have, so maybe that Light Firelink is a phenomenon centered on the Champion of Ash. The other area you teleport to that's disconnected from the rest of the world is Archdragon Peak, which is either a destination in your dreams or in a dream of one of its inhabitants. Maybe Light Firelink is a dream, too? But if so, who's? Yours? Ludleth's?

That's all the vaatying I've got on the subject.

I'm pretty sure the NPCs you ecounter are just homeward-boning out. They're using the same graphics for it and it's also what they are doing - teleporting back to the shrine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They're absolutely using a Homeward Bone. Same effect, same posture, same sound effect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There should be one npc who never bothered to sit down anywhere so they bone out and never appear again.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'll homeward bone you

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

lite_sleepr posted:

if you think about it, Gwyn's knights were created to hunt dragons, and Ocieros is a dragon. it's possible some of them wandered in after anor londo was pulled into irithyll, but before the path between irithyll and lothric was all hosed up, because they heard or sensed that there was a dragon to fight, and then Ocieros managed to just dump/trap them into the untended graves to get rid of them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lite_sleepr posted:

I'll homeward bone you

:wink:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you think about it, Gwyn's knights were created to hunt dragons, and Ocieros is a dragon. it's possible some of them wandered in after anor londo was pulled into irithyll, but before the path between irithyll and lothric was all hosed up, because they heard or sensed that there was a dragon to fight, and then Ocieros managed to just dump/trap them into the untended graves to get rid of them.
I don't think that's the case, about silver knights being made to hunt dragons?

I might be wrong but I think you're thinking of the black Knights that were charged with killing demons?

All we know about the silver Knights is that they stayed behind in Anor Londo when Gwyn went to hunt the demons.

Might be wrong though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Opening cutscene of DaS shows that Gwyn had silver knights with him when the Lords battled the dragons. Also they have dragonslayer great bows which does sort of imply they slew some dragons at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

skasion posted:

Opening cutscene of DaS shows that Gwyn had silver knights with him when the Lords battled the dragons. Also they have dragonslayer great bows which does sort of imply they slew some dragons at some point.

Also they charge them up with lightning in this game which is kind of a dead giveaway.