Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a huge marble one I bought in Vietnam. It's pretty rough marble, and not at all polished. How difficult would it be to get polished (on the outside) do you think? Can I just sand this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Marble is super soft. You can polish it with baking soda.

http://www.wikihow.com/Polish-Marble

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Jamie Oliver's mortar and pestle is solid. Granite, nice and deep so you don't get peppercorns flying everywhere, and retails $25-30. Available at Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. You can sometimes find them (and lots of other off-brand M&Ps) at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for cheaper.

Recommended as long as you don't mind JAMIE OLIVER carved into the underside :)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So, I guess Kitchenaid has introduced a 'Mini' Artisan mixer with a 3.5qt capacity. Any thoughts?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp time to check Amazon again to see if that Kitchenaid Pro 600 mixer is on sale ygently caress!!:bang::suicide:

(it went up to $450)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Some colours are $387.99.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Canuck-Errant posted:

So, I guess Kitchenaid has introduced a 'Mini' Artisan mixer with a 3.5qt capacity. Any thoughts?

Given that Amazon is selling them for $330, more expensive than the regular Artisan, I'd say that the only reason to get one is if you only ever cook for yourself and have a kitchen the size of a shoebox.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Welp time to check Amazon again to see if that Kitchenaid Pro 600 mixer is on sale ygently caress!!:bang::suicide:

(it went up to $450)

And that's why you set a price alert on Camelcamelcamel for the colour you want so you can see when the prices are low and what the regular price is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arcsech posted:

Given that Amazon is selling them for $330, more expensive than the regular Artisan, I'd say that the only reason to get one is if you only ever cook for yourself and have a kitchen the size of a shoebox.

Seriously, what's the point

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo

the artisan is already too fuckin small and underpowered for a mixer. we have one and I have stripped 3 gears on it, somehow broken the plastic bits that cover the speed knobs, and also somehow made it so that the head-lock comes undone after 2-3 minutes of use. motherfucker sits there bouncing around on the counter every time I use it. and I definitely don't use ours more than once a week, for sure.

I guess some people might just want a thing in their kitchen that makes it look like they cook or something, and be ok with paying $300 bucks for the privilege...

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Ok thank y'all for confirming that it's a lovely gimmick. I saw it in Williams Sonoma last week and thought it was an early April Fools joke. I have seen a review of it where they said it can do everything an Artisan can do but I don't believe that for one minute.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

holy poo poo

the artisan is already too fuckin small and underpowered for a mixer. we have one and I have stripped 3 gears on it, somehow broken the plastic bits that cover the speed knobs, and also somehow made it so that the head-lock comes undone after 2-3 minutes of use. motherfucker sits there bouncing around on the counter every time I use it. and I definitely don't use ours more than once a week, for sure.

I guess some people might just want a thing in their kitchen that makes it look like they cook or something, and be ok with paying $300 bucks for the privilege...

Number loving one reason I regret ever giving up my bowl lift. Both my wife and I had one before we moved in together and we certainly didn't use them often enough to need two. But well, she had a newer tilt head and I had an older bowl lift. RIP.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

holy poo poo

Why haven't you replaced that thing with a Pro series?

The Artisan is literal trash, no offense, and I don't really know why it exists. I blame Hobart for selling the KitchenAid brand.

To be fair, KitchenAid Commercial and Pro are NSF rated, so you should be good to go, and be able to treat them like tools, not a kitchen decoration/appliance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Haha theres so little difference in size

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
And the tiny-rear end bowl and how annoying it is to get ingredients into it without lifting the mixer head is exactly the most annoying thing about the artisan.

:negative:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

The artisan is great, and I've never had a problem with the tilt on the 25 year old mixer I got when my parents got a new one. My mom says she actually preferred the tilt to the lowering on the larger mixer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

door Door door posted:

The artisan is great, and I've never had a problem with the tilt on the 25 year old mixer I got when my parents got a new one. My mom says she actually preferred the tilt to the lowering on the larger mixer.

I will trade with your mother straight up

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

On cast iron pans: I've been maintaining one as per Kenji's recommendations, washing it after use and giving it a heating up a fresh coat of oil every time. It's been working pretty well. But I kind of got distracted doing this yesterday and ended up smoking the coat too much. It looks dried out instead, and as someone in this thread described it, it's probably a layer of smoke.

This is actually probably the 2nd or 3rd time I do this dumb thing, so I'll just rebuild seasoning in the oven from scratch, but should I be scrubbing off this layer or building on top of it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you're thinking about it too hard. just keep using it unless rust

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
It tried to fix my cast iron pan by seasoning what had burned off and I think it didn't quite work. I cooked some bacon the other day and it kept sticking to the pan. We almost never eat bacon (gasp!), so I might be wrong, but with all the grease I would've expected it not to stick.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Bacon cure usually has sugar in it which is why if you start it in a dry pan from low heat it can stick like a mofo. Just keep cooking in it regularly, ideally for high heat stuff at first, and you'll get your seasoning back.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

It tried to fix my cast iron pan by seasoning what had burned off and I think it didn't quite work. I cooked some bacon the other day and it kept sticking to the pan. We almost never eat bacon (gasp!), so I might be wrong, but with all the grease I would've expected it not to stick.

I've said this a few times in this thread, but I think the "just cook bacon in it" is terrible advice for seasoning a pan. Bacon has sugar and other stuff in that can interfere with getting a good seasoning. I use crisco, but flax is probably the best option. The lazy goon way of cooking and eating a ton of bacon is fun, but will not give the indestructible seasoning you want.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've said this a few times in this thread, but I think the "just cook bacon in it" is terrible advice for seasoning a pan. Bacon has sugar and other stuff in that can interfere with getting a good seasoning. I use crisco, but flax is probably the best option. The lazy goon way of cooking and eating a ton of bacon is fun, but will not give the indestructible seasoning you want.

Oh, no. I didn't fry bacon to season it. I seasoned it using Crisco. Bacon came after several times of using it after seasoning. I was just saying that I took the bacon sticking as a sign of not having been properly seasoned.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this is why my MIL has one, it's red and has not been used a single time but sits on the counter 100% of the time. i'm not sure if it's an artisan or not though, either way, waste of money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got rust. :smith:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

rgocs posted:

Oh, no. I didn't fry bacon to season it. I seasoned it using Crisco. Bacon came after several times of using it after seasoning. I was just saying that I took the bacon sticking as a sign of not having been properly seasoned.

Even properly seasoned cast iron will have stuff stick to it with no lubrication. It's not teflon or anything. Just keep a can of Pam by your stove and give it a couple quick spritzes before dropping in bacon and it'll be fine.

And having recently seasoned a carbon steel frypan, I can vouch for the superiority of flaxseed oil over all other seasoning fats. Just make sure you get the 100% pure stuff (high lignan is fine), which has to be refrigerated, not the shelf-stable supplement oil which has a bunch of additives that degrade its ability to form a nice seasoning. Barlean's is a good brand you can find at lots of health food stores and nutrition places and the like.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Why haven't you replaced that thing with a Pro series?

The Artisan is literal trash, no offense, and I don't really know why it exists. I blame Hobart for selling the KitchenAid brand.

To be fair, KitchenAid Commercial and Pro are NSF rated, so you should be good to go, and be able to treat them like tools, not a kitchen decoration/appliance.

I agree, it's literal trash, but it was also free / gifted to my wife many many moons ago. I don't use it more than once a week - and if I'm honest once every 3 weeks - so I don't care enough about busted knobs and jittery hopping around on counters enough to go spend 500 bucks to do it right.

I briefly thought about it the first time I stripped out a gear, but a little internet research, some elbow grease, and $5 worth of plastic gears later I got it working again, so.... eh.

anyways

please for the love of god anyone reading this thread, if you plan on actually using your mixer do not buy a kitchenaid artisan mixer, spend more money and get a proper mixer.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Schpyder posted:

Even properly seasoned cast iron will have stuff stick to it with no lubrication. It's not teflon or anything.

Thoht posted:

Bacon cure usually has sugar in it which is why if you start it in a dry pan from low heat it can stick like a mofo. Just keep cooking in it regularly, ideally for high heat stuff at first, and you'll get your seasoning back.
This is useful knowledge because after seasoning my pan with 100% organic flaxseed oil and only using it to cook a handful of times (bacon), I noticed the bacon would stick but that's probably because I'm putting it in a cold-warm pan as it heats up instead of sticking it in once the pan is hot.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's not thinking too hard to want to avoid this: ;)

So yeah, smoking out the seasoning means I should get rid of it and start over. I scrubbed it out and did a few oven+oil cycles again and it's back to normal.

whatupdet posted:

I noticed the bacon would stick but that's probably because I'm putting it in a cold-warm pan as it heats up instead of sticking it in once the pan is hot.

Even putting it when hot, it'll still stick initially. The sugar in the cure cooks before the bacon fat can start to render out. I just put a little oil in the pan before adding the bacon and try to swirl the slices around in it until the fat starts to render, then it's usually okay.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Oregon Scientific AW133 thermometer on sale today for $13 at Meh.com. It's a grill thermometer, and it has bluetooth, and Oregon Scientific makes pretty decent gear. It's $39 on Amazon, so snap it up!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Why you all don't cook your bacon in the oven baffles me.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'm not going to heat my oven up just to cook a couple pieces of loving bacon.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Why you all don't cook your bacon in the oven baffles me.

It's far less visually and aurally satisfying and using a half pan makes me want to fill the half pan so I make too much bacon and then the dog looks at me with his big sad eyes and I know its bad for him but come on, dogbro needs bacon too.

Plus I like to fry eggs in the hot fat and ever sense discovering lard I don't bother to save very much. bacon grease anymore.

The oven is best if you are cooking for more then two people.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thoht posted:

I'm not going to heat my oven up just to cook a couple pieces of loving bacon.

Hey look at this guy who cooks bacon 2 pieces at a time

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey look at this guy who cooks bacon 2 pieces at a time
lol goon bacon XD aside, for knocking out just a rasher or two a toaster oven owns.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Searzall.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've never cooked bacon in anything other than a microwave.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

lol goon bacon XD aside, for knocking out just a rasher or two a toaster oven owns.

We throw our change into a gallon jug and when it's full we spend it on kitchen stuff. Last week it was full and I made an impassioned speech about getting a high-end toaster oven, but I failed. We did end up with that juicer that someone recommended a few pages ago and that thing is better build and more sturdy than the last drill press I bought. When the handle cams-over at the end of the stroke it's almost sexual.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two pieces of bacon at a time? Microwaves? Might I suggest the perfect cookbook...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Hed posted:

I will trade with your mother straight up

Haha I already offered but she didn't want to give up the increased capacity. For a while she was making cookies weekly for a friend's cafe and the ability to make a triple batch was really nice. In related Kitchenaid news, I looked at some of the pasta attachments and holy poo poo are they expensive.