Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nintendo's website won't let me buy an eshop card with paypal no matter how many times I try. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Time to pay money and point fingers.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DLC case, very beginning

Larry's back! :swoon: And he even has that cocky grin animation he hasn't had since AA1!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Early spoilers: Upon seeing Edgeworth's car driving by, Maya immediately jumped in front of it. :stare:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just so y'all know, although it's playable after case 1, this seems to take place after the final case. No spoilers for the other cases but it may spoil the status quo of the ending a little. Also, oh man I was disappointed when it looked like Larry was gonna be your assistant, slightly less disappointed when they did a fakeout of Edgeworth being your assistant, then got really happy when Maya showed up instead and Turnabout Sisters played aaahhh

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calico Heart posted:

Why do people think Edgeworth is an interesting character?

He isn't bad - but after appearing in almost all the games he feels like he should be way, way more well-rounded as a character. I don't find him interesting to go up against in court, and once he settles into "Nick's friend and rival" he just sort of becomes a forgttable wimp. When he shows up in games after one I feel disappointed I don't get to see any more of the actual cool Prosecutors - I always felt like he was being shoehorned in. Maybe this is why AAI felt like a nothing game to me. Edgeworth has backstory and motivation, yeah, but he doesn't have enough personality to back any of it up or make him interesting to spend time with.

Though I don't know if people would say he "counts", I really liked Barnham from PL V PW. He was a fun character with a moral code - a bit smug, but very charismatic. He was able to turn the tide of an argument as well as rouse everyone in the courtroom to be on his side. He even has a great arc! It's a shame he just loving vanishes towards the end of the game.

Goddamn. I guess you're entitled to your own opinion, even if you're objectively wrong.

Just because Edgeworth isn't bombastic doesn't mean he doesn't have a personality, in fact he has one of the most well-rounded personalities in the series. He has more character progression than anyone else, from just being a cool rear end in a top hat in 1 to being a suave guy who comes in and teaches Nick what being a lawyer really means while still having some of his coldness in 2 (I don't know how you can say he's boring when he tells a witness he doesn't give a poo poo if she commits suicide as long as he gets the truth from her) to just being Nick's reliable bro in 3. Edgeworth is kind of irrelevant in the 3DS games but it's just cool to see how he's changed with age.

People also like him because he's the only prosecutor without any gimmicks. He's just a cool, suave guy with great lines who is hilarious when he gets flustered.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

His fingerwag was really good too.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

On case 3 now. Do the intros for case 4 and/or 5 give away who the killer is? If that's the case I'll just not watching them and mash A to get through them quick

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, only case 1 does

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Special episode Investigation 1: I am going to be real let down if it turns out that the butler did it.

E:

Clarste posted:

A plea of insanity means that, although you killed a person, you did not have the requisite mental state to commit the crime of murder because you didn't understand what you were doing in some sense. In that sense it's become legally considered an accident, sort of. In that a death happened, but it's no one's fault. However, you'd probably get yourself committed to a mental hospital instead of just walking free.

Mental state (known as mens rea) is an important element in most crimes, but especially murder. If you accidentally killed someone, for example, that's manslaughter.

I get that, but that doesn't explain how DL-6 was considered unsolved for the following 15 years. If Yanni Yogi had been conclusively ruled as the shooter, that would have meant the case was solved. Plus the whole reason Misty Fey and spirit channeling had been tarred as fraudulent was because she had claimed that he was the culprit, regardless of mens rea. I can handwave that he was released to the streets without evaluation or institutionalization, but it is pivotal to the case that Yanni Yogi was ruled to not be the shooter, and I'm not sure how an insanity ruling gets around that.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 29, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kajeesus is right - the Yanni Yogi insanity defense has always been a point of mild confusion among Ace Attorney fans because the game seems to treat it not as a mitigation defense but as proof he didn't commit the crime leaving it unsolved. Crucially if Yanni Yogi got off with a normal insanity defense, Misty Fey would not have been disgraced! Gregory told them Yogi did it, and such a defense would've proved him right and everything would be fine. The game is very vague and never specifies exactly what people thought had happened all those 15 years.

Personally I rationalize that somehow Hammond argued that Yogi's insanity made it impossible to have shot Gregory. I don't know how that's supposed to work but it's the only thing that makes sense with how everyone treats the state of the case.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 29, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I finished Day one of Time Travel. Pretty lame trial tbh. I saw what I thought the reveal was going to be almost immediately in the investigation, and what do you know, it was the "big" reveal, and kind of nothing else happened. I'm almost sure I know how the murder went down already, too. Hopefully day two will be less predictable, but it's not looking too good. Oh well, the character interactions are still all fun and good. I don't regret getting the case or anything.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally I rationalize that somehow Hammond argued that Yogi's insanity made it impossible to have shot Gregory. I don't know how that's supposed to work but it's the only thing that makes sense with how everyone treats the state of the case.

If I remember this right (and it's been ages, I could be completely wrong!) the argument it was implied they used was that Yogi had almost certainly passed out from oxygen deprivation, and therefore couldn't have shot Gregory, and his apparent brain damage from the oxygen deprivation was proof, or something along those lines?

EDIT:Of course, it's kind of flimsy because he simply could've passed out after having shot him, but I guess it sort of works.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

smenj posted:

If I remember this right (and it's been ages, I could be completely wrong!) the argument it was implied they used was that Yogi had almost certainly passed out from oxygen deprivation, and therefore couldn't have shot Gregory, and his apparent brain damage from the oxygen deprivation was proof, or something along those lines?

EDIT:Of course, it's kind of flimsy because he simply could've passed out after having shot him, but I guess it sort of works.

That's a possible interpretation but they genuinely don't go into it at all. Gregory's spirit testified Yogi shot him, Hammond made some kind of argument that he had "temporary insanity", everyone acts like the case is unsolved. Those are the only facts we have about how the trial went so any interpretation as to how that all fits together in a way that makes sense is just a guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DLC Case, Trial Day 1: I keep reloading and forcefully tapping "Accuse him" but Larry still isn't under arrest?? Capcom please fix this bug

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

gently caress Larry Butz.

He is maybe the only character in the series more annoying than Wendy Oldbag, and it is made worse by him appearing over and over again. I genuinely want Larry to think Nick has saved his rear end so many times that he actually does commit murder and doesn't get away with it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

6-6: I can't believe Apollo just left his jacket in the office. I also can't believe Trucy didn't mail it to him!

Man, we're really spoiled that effectively got 7 cases in this game. so much to go through!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Beat the DLC case. It was pretty okay, but definitely no Turnabout Reclaimed.

Villain transformations are definitely overplayed at this point. Going from steampunk butler to nonsense surgeon isn't even a transformation that makes sense, and it felt like you were taking down a completely different character in the end.

Sorin annoyed me a lot in the beginning, but I liked his twist and how it tied into the "time traveler" theme.

Sad that Apollo was entirely absent, but I guess it makes sense. I like how Athena spent the entire case getting snubbed like he did in 5-6.

Ema had the strongest showing of any recurring character. It's nice to see her working with a prosecutor who isn't awful.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Something that's been bothering me now that I've finished the game (MAJOR CASE 5 SPOILERS BELOW):
How would Inga not notice that Maya had escaped to America while she was channeling Dhurke? Did he just not check the tomb after running away from Dhurke like a bitch or did he already know and used it as leverage against Dhurke?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From the phonecall I'm pretty sure he knew.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Calico Heart posted:

He is maybe the only character in the series more annoying than Wendy Oldbag, and it is made worse by him appearing over and over again.

Agreed.

Remember that time they both showed up in the same case at the end of Investigations? :argh:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I was thinking he was pretty much trying to make a bluff.

Going on at the DLC case. Phoenix Wright as the main character. Maya as your main assistant. Edgeworth as the prosecutor for the case. And Larry being involved in some way. Now all we're missing are Gumshoe and we'd be back in time to Phoenix's first years as a lawyer. It's actually kind of nice to see most of the old gang of major and recurring characters get together again. As if I went back to the past...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Of course this case would come out on the same day as Gunvolt 2. :argh:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah, I think he put two and two together when he realized he was talking to the guy he'd killed. And since Nayna was presumably still around at the time, and he almost definitely knew Ga'ran's big secret...

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Since Larry came back, does that mean that there is a chance for others to be rescued from the post-trilogy purge? (Watch Oldbag becoming the most heavily advertised person of AA7.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only "main" characters we haven't caught up on are Franziska and Gumshoe, so if it's anybody, it'll be those guys first.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Agreed.

Remember that time they both showed up in the same case at the end of Investigations? :argh:

He was a lot better in the first AA and AAI2.

His idiot drawings in 3-5 were amusing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to see Eldoon or Vera Misham again.

fronz posted:

He was a lot better in the first AA and AAI2.

His idiot drawings in 3-5 were amusing.

I can agree with this much, at least.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Enjoyed the DLC case. Spirit of Justice was always teased as being an original trilogy throwback, but the main game actually turned out to be its own thing - for the better, I'd say. I guess this case was them delivering on that initial promise.

Waffleman_ posted:

The only "main" characters we haven't caught up on are Franziska and Gumshoe, so if it's anybody, it'll be those guys first.

It's possible that they're deliberately avoiding those two because they're so important in Investigations. If they want to keep open any possibility of doing more games in that series, making Franziska or Gumshoe's post-timeskip status explicit would really limit what they can do with them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Except that they went and made the main character of those danged games the Chief Prosecutor!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Except that they went and made the main character of those danged games the Chief Prosecutor!

What else was Edgeworth ever going to be doing post-timeskip? Playing piano and cheating at cards?

But seriously. Yeah, I'm sure they just felt that Edgeworth was too popular not to return.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Choosing death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What was Edgeworth's reason for choosing death before Rise from the Ashes was made, anyway?

It went from Phoenix clearing Edgeworth of his father's murder to "Thanks, Wright. Going to kill myself now. ttyl".

I guess that's why they went back and added the case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think part of it was realizing that his life as a prosecutor so far had basically been a lie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah. A friend of mine argued that Rise from the Ashes actually made his departure lamer, because finding out the institution you work for is hosed up and corrupt isn't really as big a deal as finding out your entire life has been wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, and there's also the question of "How many innocent people did I send to death with my ruthlessness?"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And his trusted mentor/father figure murdered his father and had been plotting against him for years.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And he almost sent the Steel Samurai to jail

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm probably about halfway through the DLC case and I'll say that it's on the higher end of the "it's OK" spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And he almost sent the Steel Samurai to jail

I never realised how messed up that is. :eyepop: