Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The builders demo wouldn't let me change the default controls. Other than that, seems like a nice mix of actual game and building stuff.

Gonna finally break my 10+ year dry spell of DQ games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's been a quite a few years, but if I'm remembering correctly, we didn't have the tablet hints either. You just had to find them. Or go on gamefaqs. :agesilaus:

Nah there was the fortune teller near Falrish. Kids these days and their hints-anywhere button.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cloofish posted:

Another great thing about hearts dropping much more frequently in tablets is it gives you a great source of income. Slime hearts sell for only 200 g but when you're bringing back like 30 a trip it adds up fast.

Not that it's gonna change how I play cause job grinding is so addictive but how necessary/helpful is mastering as many jobs as possible for the postgame dungeon?

intermediate classes and up give bonus stats when you master them. otherwise, there is no point in having every character have every ability because passives don't transfer between classes and you can still only use one ability per turn.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I feel like the best way to describe Builders is basically a cross between Minecraft and Terraria, you're building a base/town and getting NPCs to inhabit it while also exploring caves for treasure chests and killing DQ monsters for their various organs to craft things with. Basically a 3D Terraria but without the random map generation and shallow level of spelunking.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Where are the monsters I send to the Meadows? I sent at least two but they're nowhere to be seen nor I can send anyone hunting for tablets.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You'll unlock it later. Don't worry about any monsters you're sending to monster meadows cause you can't do anything with them till a lot later.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
But I want to put them to work :< this ain't no welfare island! Sure it's not even my island and I'm slaughtering their people but still, it's the principle.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 29, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Freakazoid_ posted:

The builders demo wouldn't let me change the default controls. Other than that, seems like a nice mix of actual game and building stuff.

I loved the part where Rubiss went "What's that? You don't want to fight monsters? You just want to build things? WELL TOO BAD."

Incidentally, I think the Dragonlord dialogue at the beginning was straight out of the mobile version of 1's translation. That is to say, it was great. Anyone playing Builders should absolutely pick up the mobile DQ1 for $3 on Apple/Google store. It's a quick game, it plays beautifully on mobile, it has a ton of QOL things over the original, and the writing is nothing short of stellar. My favorite quote, from the guy who missed his tryst with his girlfriend - "Verily, I am doghouse-bound!"

The game isn't longer than maybe 12 hours or so, so you should have plenty of time to finish it in the 2 weeks until Builders comes out. That should give you some fresh perspective on the locations in the game, like how Cantlin used to be a fortified city that you had to beat a guard golem just to get into.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gonna finally break my 10+ year dry spell of DQ games.

How much actual game is there? I don't need another sandbox game, but if this is going to be an avenue to play through/make essentially DQ7 island sized bites of content it might be a good time killer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, you didn't have the tablet radar in the original version of the game? :catstare:

Not only was there no Tablet Radar, from what I remember most of the shards have been shuffled to more convenient places, like being left out in the open instead of in a random peasant's closet. Also you hand to wander all the way back to the fortune teller if you wanted a hint as to what shard you were missing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody have a hint for me after (late game) I've saved every island? I know I need to find a sky temple but I cannot figure out/remember if I've already visited something that it should be. I know where the frozen ship is but clearly it can't be unfrozen until the Demon Lord is dead but no clue where he is. I've been wandering around trying to look for stuff

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

neongrey posted:

Nah there was the fortune teller near Falrish. Kids these days and their hints-anywhere button.

My favourite minor change is that, in modern Faraday, someone says there's a fortune-teller out east 'but she's completely useless'.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In Training posted:

Does anybody have a hint for me after (late game) I've saved every island? I know I need to find a sky temple but I cannot figure out/remember if I've already visited something that it should be. I know where the frozen ship is but clearly it can't be unfrozen until the Demon Lord is dead but no clue where he is. I've been wandering around trying to look for stuff

Go to the Pool of Piety on Faraday Castle's island, you should be able to trigger things there with the Sacred Stone you got from Aeolus Vale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was wondering where that was, I couldn't place the name, it showed up in a Fragment hint. Thank you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone have any idea where I can find this one?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone have any idea where I can find this one?

Info > Next Tablet Fragment should give you specifics. If it doesn't, knowing where in the plot you are could help.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Info > Next Tablet Fragment should give you specifics. If it doesn't, knowing where in the plot you are could help.

I didn't even know that was a thing. Thanks!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's been a quite a few years, but if I'm remembering correctly, we didn't have the tablet hints either. You just had to find them. Or go on gamefaqs. :agesilaus:

I never had trouble finding them in the original version of the game but when I first played it I was totally invested in it and was highly particular about going and talking to everyone after everything to see changing dialogue and exploring every single place, I'd bet it could be easy to miss stuff for anyone who didn't do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nephzinho posted:

How much actual game is there? I don't need another sandbox game, but if this is going to be an avenue to play through/make essentially DQ7 island sized bites of content it might be a good time killer.

Its been out in japan, theres probably an import review you could look up if the demo doesnt answer your questions

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm playing the Builders demo on PS4 and enjoying it, but I've run into possibly a bug, possibly I'm a dumbass in the early going and I'm going to ask here:

I've built the bedroom you are required to build and the workshop that Pippa asks you to build, and now my quest is to find another guy to join the town. I go to the little corner of the map where the marker indicates, but nothing is there and nothing happens. Earlier, I was wandering that direction and broke up the bonfire while fighting some wyvern, so I was wondering if I broke the quest in doing so (I replaced the bonfire, to no effect) or if I a missing something terribly obvious.

Any ideas?

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
I kinda really hope DQ Builders comes to PC at some point, as unlikely as that probably is.

I want to play it but don't want to have to get a PS4 for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moriveth posted:

I kinda really hope DQ Builders comes to PC at some point, as unlikely as that probably is.

I want to play it but don't want to have to get a PS4 for it.

I wouldn't say it is impossible. Didn't DQ:H get a PC port?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In VII I'm stuck on the Fighting Batboon fight after purifying the Ygg tree well. I can make it through the well section no problem, but that fucker hits me with his 'fists of fury' attack just about every round and even with buffing & sapping him he's doing 60+ damage per turn. Then he doubles his attack power and it's basically over from there. I can't get him to sleep and my characters are all level 19+ with good equipment, am I missing something obvious?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GobiasIndustries posted:

In VII I'm stuck on the Fighting Batboon fight after purifying the Ygg tree well. I can make it through the well section no problem, but that fucker hits me with his 'fists of fury' attack just about every round and even with buffing & sapping him he's doing 60+ damage per turn. Then he doubles his attack power and it's basically over from there. I can't get him to sleep and my characters are all level 19+ with good equipment, am I missing something obvious?

What classes are your dudes in.

You don't want to be anything squishy (mage especially) for that. Also having someone with the ability to blind (thieves get it pretty early) can cripple him.

Drakslime gets increased Res and can help out a lot.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Is Builders coming out on the Vita?

I have the Vita demo for it (and it is pretty awesome) but the store doesn't have any information on an actual Vita release. Though it may just be that the Vita doesn't do automatic pre-orders?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Troubadour can be a big help early on with its 15-35HP party heal ability for 0MP. It's a dice roll but up through and even a bit after the Sunken City it's been great. It's just less useful once you have characters near 100MP and have unlocked Paladin and other classes with multi-heal or if you went through healslime right away. It takes 55 battles as a Troubadour to unlock Soothing Dance.

Beyond that, changing the party line-up might help. Set them in order of defense since enemies are more likely to hit the 1st and 2nd positions than the 3rd and 4th. They also seem more likely to hit the lower defense of the two so rather than stack all of the good stuff on the #1 or #3 position balance it out and mix/match as much as possible. Doing that also helps out party heals.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Airspace posted:

Is Builders coming out on the Vita?

I have the Vita demo for it (and it is pretty awesome) but the store doesn't have any information on an actual Vita release. Though it may just be that the Vita doesn't do automatic pre-orders?

Yes, it is. The S-E livestream this week had questions from chat about what was going on with Vita preorders, it just isn't getting digital preorders at all. You will still get the day one DLC tho.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

What classes are your dudes in.

You don't want to be anything squishy (mage especially) for that. Also having someone with the ability to blind (thieves get it pretty early) can cripple him.

Drakslime gets increased Res and can help out a lot.

Yeah switching classes helped a ton; Maribel was a priest which was probably my biggest mistake there. I switched everyone to sailor which gave them all a good balance of hp & mp (for pinch healing) and crushed him.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Setesh murdered my Mage Maribel pretty hard. However, transforming someone into a Dragon with the Monster Masher skill is a pretty great tanky option. After transforming, Ruff was getting all the aggro - so it was easy to win.

For all the bad islands that happen, Egypt Island (name not yet final) is one of the most rewarding.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've just finished the magic kingdom and I can't find the next tablet piece. The hints say one is at a temple and the other is in the mini medal palace. What temple is it talking about?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ethiser posted:

I've just finished the magic kingdom and I can't find the next tablet piece. The hints say one is at a temple and the other is in the mini medal palace. What temple is it talking about?

The egypt one in the past. Talk to the queen.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Zore posted:

The egypt one in the past. Talk to the queen.

that one's kind of weird since you literally can not get it until you leave the area and then re-visit.
i think they kind of tried to hint at it by having the present queen mention you being entrusted with something special and your party being confused over how no such thing happened, but it's a little too subtle.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
How many mini medals to I need to get The tablet piece?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Moriveth posted:

How many mini medals to I need to get The tablet piece?

Its for the post-game bonus dungeon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that they go above and beyond in the late game bosses here by making Phase 3+ of the final boss just 15 hours of more gameplay

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't played 7 before and getting around to playing it now and it's super bugging me that my two party members are leveling up like crazy while my main character lags behind by like a full level even though nobody has died yet.

Like what the heck why is it built in to be this uneven.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I haven't played 7 before and getting around to playing it now and it's super bugging me that my two party members are leveling up like crazy while my main character lags behind by like a full level even though nobody has died yet.

Like what the heck why is it built in to be this uneven.

Your party changes but the main character will never leave it. So they're on a very slightly delayed experience curve compared to everyone else.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
You'll understand that later.

I've been loving this game since I got it last week, it brings back great memories of the original and the quality of life improvements are great. I do wish they had left Haven alone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

neongrey posted:

She was sitting in the abandoned robo base and was super inconvenient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm playing the Builders demo on PS4 and enjoying it, but I've run into possibly a bug, possibly I'm a dumbass in the early going and I'm going to ask here:
Any ideas?

Keep going past where you found the bonfire and got the message. It confused me at first too, but just keep your eyes out.