Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
What Netflix is getting and losing in October: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/22/13020280/netflix-october-coming-leaving

The good titles (IMO) are: Breakfast at Tiffany's; Dazed and Confused; Grizzly Man; Once Upon a Time in the West; Patton; Quiz Show; Unforgiven; Jesus Camp.

Stoked for American Horror Story S5 and Black Mirror S3!

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm interested in Big Eyes since I heard it was actually pretty decent and is Burton breaking his mold a little.

And I never got around to seeing Kung Fu Panda 3 so that'll be fun too.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

Both stories are inspired by a real guy in medieval France, I'm pretty sure. Look up Martin Guerre sometime.

Not to throw shade at Martin or anything but I'm guessing it was way easier to fake your death and become someone else in the Middle Ages.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird to see that The Interview is leaving Netflix. I figured it wouldn't leave since it's a semi-Netflix original. Guess I'll have to finally watch that this weekend.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

Anyone have experience with Shudder's official site? It seems to be easier to navigate and has a bunch of movies that its Amazon version doesn't have.
For some silly reason though, you can't link your Amazon account to their official site. :psyduck:

Might cancel the Amazon Shudder subscription if the official one works decently.(subtitle support is fairly important)

It's terrible and frequently has issues with movies not playing past a certain point.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hell yeah Quiz Show

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Murder Maps is perfect to fall asleep to

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gotham is Hot Hot poo poo.
Outside of PeeWee in season 2 its the only super hero show I have seen thats on the air and makes Agents of Shield look good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is Stranger Things watchable if you have a little-to-no-bordering-on-anti nostalgia for the 80s and the films/aesthetics/cinematic standards of that era?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 23, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

MisterBibs posted:

Is Stranger Things watchable if you have a little-to-no-bordering-on-anti nostalgia for the 80s and the films/aesthetics/cinematic standards of that era?

Yes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Junkie Disease posted:

Gotham is Hot Hot poo poo.
Outside of PeeWee in season 2 its the only super hero show I have seen thats on the air and makes Agents of Shield look good.

Holy poo poo, someone made a Pee Wee Herman superhero show and I missed it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird to see that The Interview is leaving Netflix. I figured it wouldn't leave since it's a semi-Netflix original. Guess I'll have to finally watch that this weekend.

It's actually pretty funny but it's a lot funnier knowing that this is the move that N Korea (supposedly) freaked out over.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

computer parts posted:

It's actually pretty funny but it's a lot funnier knowing that this is the move that N Korea (supposedly) freaked out over.

It's even funnier that for all US blustering about not surrendering to terrorists and screaming how important free speech is, it seems like theatre chains and movie studios at least are willing to fold very quickly.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

MisterBibs posted:

It's a passable series, but I do think the nostalgia is why people- myself included- flipped out over it. Go in with low expectations and the worst you can be is pleasantly surprised.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
FWIW, I enjoyed Stranger Things a lot, but also a lot of the references it was apparently making were over my head. I could see that getting somewhat annoying if I kept noticing them. Also, it helps that even though it's covered in 80's nostalgia, it plays as an obvious love letter to the style and tries to play it completely straight. There's no real mocking of the 80's or winking at the camera going on, which is why I find most other stuff like this borderline unbearable.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

Skylar, do you ever feel...like a plastic bag...

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

MisterBibs posted:

Yes but I don't think the show revolves around nostalgic film or TV standards aside from elements of the title sequence. The 80s nostalgia is more of the setting and the King/Koontz style of story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The things that King or Spielberg fans were noticing in Stranger Things aren't really references, its just certain aspects of the story that will seem very familiar if you 've seen/read certain things. The show stands on its own regardless of how much of that you're aware of, at no point does it assume you've read book X and make that knowledge necessary for the plot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I did find that scene where the teacher is watching The Thing and then gushing over the practical effects to be overindulgent. But overall, it was a pretty good show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I did find that scene where the teacher is watching The Thing and then gushing over the practical effects to be overindulgent. But overall, it was a pretty good show.

Ditto the The Thing poster on the kid's door. It was a flop at the time and I don't know how he would have even gotten one.

However the movies of the time did that kind of thing ie Wes Craven putting an Evil Dead poster in his movies and Raimi putting Craven's posters in his.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Flop posters are the easiest to get. See my john carter posters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
:asoiaf: Longmire S5 is up on Netflix right now!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MisterBibs posted:

Well the general consensus has been extremely positive so I think if you don't like it it's only because you're jealous.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

kuddles posted:

It's even funnier that for all US blustering about not surrendering to terrorists and screaming how important free speech is, it seems like theatre chains and movie studios at least are willing to fold very quickly.

The funniest part is that it's a terrible, unfunny movie and that those weeks of blustering and grandstanding were for a movie everyone forgot about as soon as they actually saw it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I thought it was okay. Forgettable is a good word; it wasn't bad enough to be memorable, but wasn't really good enough either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

The funniest part is that it's a terrible, unfunny movie and that those weeks of blustering and grandstanding were for a movie everyone forgot about as soon as they actually saw it.

Forgettable sure, but I wouldn't rate it as anywhere near terrible or unfunny. It had some solid laughs, and was about what I expect from a Franco/Rogen joint these days (in a good way, not in a Neighbors way).

Fake edit: Well, Neighbors is Rogen and Efron, but that might actually only make my point stronger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it was super forgettable but I remember enjoying it enough.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Jack Gladney posted:

Wes Craven putting an Evil Dead poster in his movies and Raimi putting Craven's posters in his.

That's actually quite a cool little back and forth, Wes Craven put a Jaws poster in The Hills have eyes so in response raimi put a ripped Hills poster in The Evil Dead, this prompted Wes Craven to put Evil Dead on TV in the first nightmare and of course Raimi put the freddy glove in the cabin in Evil Dead 2.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

precision posted:

Forgettable sure, but I wouldn't rate it as anywhere near terrible or unfunny. It had some solid laughs, and was about what I expect from a Franco/Rogen joint these days (in a good way, not in a Neighbors way).

Fake edit: Well, Neighbors is Rogen and Efron, but that might actually only make my point stronger.

Neighbors is way, way funnier than The Interview.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

User-Friendly posted:

Neighbors is way, way funnier than The Interview.

Are you trying to trick me into watching it again? I really don't remember liking it much at all, but I was drunk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seth Rogen stuff is usually better than the hate it gets. I think if anything his movies are entertaining and have a decent amount of funny jokes. Neighbors wasn't an exception.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah it was super forgettable but I remember enjoying it enough.

The only memorable part was the Eminem interview.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
McConaughey Goat gently caress

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought the dude who played Kim Jong Un was fantastic and made the movie worth watching on his own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I thought the dude who played Kim Jong Un was fantastic and made the movie worth watching on his own.

Yeah, agreed, actually.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wasn't it Randall park? He's amazing in fresh off the boat

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Kim Jung Un crying and sobbing, "gently caress you dave.." while James Franco's characters sings Fireworks is still kind of amazing to me.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Wasn't it Randall park? He's amazing in fresh off the boat

I've been loving this show lately since I watched season 2 on Hulu. Randall Park and the lady who plays his wife are just so great. I also enjoy the two younger kid actors. The Eddie Huang character is pretty obnoxious and the only dull spot though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I see that much of Shudder's catalog is also on Amazon Prime. Is there any reason for me to subscribe to Shudder if I already have Prime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

The only memorable part was the Eminem interview.

Agreed on both counts.