Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So which Gen II addition are people ITT most looking forward to? I'd say I'm gonna raise a Xatu but it probably won't spawn where I live. I'll settle for evolving my Golbat into something not poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle alternative evolutions like Bellblossom and Politoed, because if it's 125 candies for a moveset lottery AND a 50% chance that will lead to a lot of woe.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 29, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Part of me hopes they fix it, and would have to retroactively fix Eevee, but I can't imagine how. Hoping for evolution stone drop from Pokestops would suck at least as much.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Dragonite:
First was named Yoshi. 2nd is named Devastator. My wild catches are pretty junk and get no names.

Snorlax:
Most above 2k are named after Jaegers from Pacific Rim. A couple are named after their capture location. Guess where I caught AYCEKBBQ

Arcanine:
The kennel once held 20. I used to just give them numbers, but now I switched to their movesets.

Jolteon:
Discharge = Megawatt
Thunderbolt = Gigawatt
Thunder = Terawatt, 15/13/15 is named Terrorwatt

Vapoeon:
My good ones are named Myst and Tsunami
The rest are just movesets

Flareon:
Feuer Frei and Asche
15/14/15 is named 98Degrees

Exeggcutor:
The two good ones with Solar Beam are named Benedict and Florentine

AlphaKretin posted:

So which Gen II addition are people ITT most looking forward to? I'd say I'm gonna raise a Xatu but it probably won't spawn where I live. I'll settle for evolving my Golbat into something not poo poo.

Tyranitar obviously.
I really like Totodile.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Geoff Zahn posted:

So IV's don't matter much right? Like the actual difference between a 100% and a 0% Pokemon is pretty small? I hatched a few 98-100% IV pokes, but also caught some higher CP / lower IV duplicates. Debating whether or not it's worth wasting the dust getting some of them up to level or if it's better to just use the higher CP ones.

I know people say IVs don't mean poo poo, but I still don't like the idea of taking something low-ranked. It's really up to you how high or low you want to set the threshold for how good of IVs you'd want to keep a Pokemon. Like someone in this thread said they're okay with over 50%. I personally look for over 80%, and I have another friend who won't take anything under 90%. So yeah, how OCD are you? To me it's fun to set some sort of bar, or else I would have just taken the first Pokemon of each kind I ever ran into (with a good moveset).

Afgad posted:

I want people to share their teams, and the names of their troopers.

Just personal favorites with half of them not having enough stardust/candy to power up all the way. If I posted pure top CP it'd have 5 of my 18 Arcanines. The two on top are named after my real life doggos. The Nidoqueen has 100% IVs with Sludge Wave so it looks like she hurls a huge wave when she does it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Once you get your 142 life loses all meaning so you need to get 100 move set

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I have gotten three Aerodactyls in a row from 10k eggs.
What the gently caress game? I don't want these.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Afgad posted:

That's a lot of fish. You don't get eevee around there? Or exeggute? Or growlithe?

Still, you're not kidding about your army. I evolved some of my magikarp and got one of each moveset of gyrados and then just stopped. I never use them for anything: I have pokemon that

I only use the Gyarados because they get higher CP than other mons I can find! And the candy for powering them up is plentiful.

I've never seen an Exeggcute. I do have a bunch of Flareon and Jolteon but I haven't gotten a single Vaporeon in my last 6 Eevee evolves or so, and I don't see Eevee that often. Growlithe are very rare, I think I've only caught one, or none. I managed to evolve one Arcanine with candy from eggs, but don't have enough candy to level it up. It's still 1900-ish CP though which is pretty good.

Willsun posted:

I know people say IVs don't mean poo poo, but I still don't like the idea of taking something low-ranked. It's really up to you how high or low you want to set the threshold for how good of IVs you'd want to keep a Pokemon. Like someone in this thread said they're okay with over 50%. I personally look for over 80%, and I have another friend who won't take anything under 90%. So yeah, how OCD are you? To me it's fun to set some sort of bar, or else I would have just taken the first Pokemon of each kind I ever ran into (with a good moveset).

I have a 0 IV Slowbro gym defender with the best moveset for defending, and it's pretty useful! I powered it up too because it was my highest CP Slowbro with a defensive moveset.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 29, 2016

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
My naming scheme is to name them all after Game of Thrones characters. No particular reason, the first name that came to mind for my starter Charmander was Drogo and I just kept up the theme. I guess I have reached peak nerd.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I need 5 more loving candy to get my Hypno. And have only managed to hatch some Drowzee from eggs. Of course there is one local spawn place...a very secure and high gated golf course. drat.
the whole point of pokemon go was to train your body to the point where you can hop that fence and not give a gently caress, and then outrun the security guards as you catch that last drowzee

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
My fourth and fifth 10k eggs were both Dratini.

I've hatched 40 since then, my last five were
Scyther
Pinser
Scyther
Electabuzz
Scyther.

It hurts. I just need
Dragonite (78 candies away)
Venisuar (56 away)
Blastoise (66)
Gyrados (85, walked over 100k with my buddie)
Dewgong (25)
Tentacruel (30)
Muk (35)
Lapras
Porygon

I might just consider myself done at 139.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Other than the Porygon, that's only like 1000km walked.

I think they recently relaxed the speed limit too, I did a 20km run on Sunday and had over 16km counted. I've also taken a ~5km bus trip that added like 2km to the counters.

I'm thinking about taking a job as a bus driver, I'd have the collection finished in no time then.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I didn't see this in the op but a couple of these are game changing functions if you didn't already know about them (swipe to menu, skip appraisal dialog)

https://m.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/54xyyk/doh_moments_a_short_list_of_in_game_mechanics_i/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Chocolate Milk posted:

My naming scheme is to name them all after Game of Thrones characters. No particular reason, the first name that came to mind for my starter Charmander was Drogo and I just kept up the theme. I guess I have reached peak nerd.

Not quite, you could be naming them after anime characters.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

Chocolate Milk posted:

I thought this was the mature way to go. I let my Jon Snow die a lot, Tyrion is my smallest obviously, DanyTargy is my favorite even though s/he's an Arcanine. I just wish people could see names at the gyms, because my Mountain and TheHound are my best defenders and it feels so lame to know I am the only one ever seeing my clever GoT names :downs:

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic
Mine are all generic names with IV and then an A or D if they have a good moveset for one or the other.

The exception is all 3 of my Snorlax are named Snoprah.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Friendly Lurker posted:

I thought this was the mature way to go. I let my Jon Snow die a lot, Tyrion is my smallest obviously, DanyTargy is my favorite even though s/he's an Arcanine. I just wish people could see names at the gyms, because my Mountain and TheHound are my best defenders and it feels so lame to know I am the only one ever seeing my clever GoT names :downs:

It really pleases me that I'm not the only one who does this! My favourite defenders are Hodor (Poliwrath) and Samwell (Slowbro). :3:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I barely rename any of mine, mostly because since my other iphone died I've been limping by on a 4S and it stutters a lot when I try to rename. Other than Eevees named for evolution I have a golbat named Mr Bitey and my buddy pikachu is named Petekachu

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I just evolved my first Wigglytuff. Dark feint and Hyper beam. Why is dark feint considered worse, is it really slow? Still happy with it, probably will power it a bunch. It's only 1160 or so right now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Divine Styler posted:

Mine are all generic names with IV and then an A or D if they have a good moveset for one or the other.
This sounded really good so I went to the OP to look for a link on the movesets since I've ignored that for the past umpteen pages.

Then I realized the OP hasn't been updated since July :geno:

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
The only pokemon I've renamed have been my top CP vaporeon to Vape Naysh, go green yall, and my top Lapras to $3.50 because loch ness monster heh get it??

I hate not being able to sort them by name, just a pet peeve of mine

Why on earth would niantic decide that GOLF COURSES are a good place to put nests. Public parks? Pffft, let's get some people to trespass!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Eyochigan posted:

edit: I mean poo poo, I still won't have a dragonite by level 30. I wonder what percent of players got lucky with dragonite, and how many are suffering like I am. at least I got a snorlax finally.

I play with my husband and our 4 year old, and we're all level 23. Husband and kid each have one lone Dratini and I have none. In all our adventuring none of us have ever hatched one, and we've only seen it spawn once. For some reason, it showed up for both of them at the time and never showed for me, so they each have the one and I don't have any.

I also haven't gotten any Lapras, and I just got my first Snorlax last week with 800 CP, IVs in the 30's, and Lick/Earthquake. My luck sucks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm level 25 in a major city and I've only ever seen one Dratini.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
3rd Hitmonlee from a 10k egg.

Eat poo poo, CIS skum

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I've caught two dratini so far, and unless I'm lucky with the local twittetbot when I'm in town, my only hope is hatching and walking. I'm averaging about 5 to 8 candy a week from running, so I have a ways to go.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

AirRaid posted:

I just evolved my first Wigglytuff. Dark feint and Hyper beam. Why is dark feint considered worse, is it really slow? Still happy with it, probably will power it a bunch. It's only 1160 or so right now.

Go here and click on Pokemon Info because it'll list out the details for each of it's moves
http://www.pogomoves.com/check.php?lang=en&pkmn=Wigglytuff&basic=Pound&charge=Hyper+Beam

Pound will do more damage per second. It gets a bonus for being the same type as the monster and it's twice as fast as feint.

A pokemon expert (I barely know any of their names) can explain this better but this should get you pointed in the right direction.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Beastyfella posted:

I've caught two dratini so far, and unless I'm lucky with the local twittetbot when I'm in town, my only hope is hatching and walking. I'm averaging about 5 to 8 candy a week from running, so I have a ways to go.

I would start walking something else man, by the time you get enough candy to evolve one I bet you'll find one in the wild. Imagine how many pokedex entries you could get in the same time it would take to evolve a dragonite!

I've just been walking my Graveler because geodudes are rare here and it's 1km per candy. Sweet!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

zeldadude posted:

I've just been walking my Graveler because geodudes are rare here and it's 1km per candy. Sweet!

This or charmander will be my next move after walking 50km with Pikachu. I don't have a decent pikachu to evolve so i may as well earn candy with a better reward. Didn't the buddy system announcement mention other rewards for walking besides candy?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
87% Clefable with Pound / Moonblast. 100% Wigglytuff, my first ever ~*perfect*~ poke, with Pound / Hyper Beam. Dragonite bitches, leave :dealwithit:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

On some days you just grind candies and dust. On other days:
- You stumble on your first Omanyte on a regular route... and find a second one right next to it.
- You take down a level 9 tower by yourself and defeat all nine with your six during the first round.
- You finally catch an Onix, which has eluded you after it fled once before during your first week of playing.
- You catch your first 100% IV Pokemon just before you post in this thread (it's a 250 CP Spearow, but it's still awesome).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I am at one with my work environment and nature

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

I'm not especially creative so I just have seven deadly sins and Patience, everything else gets named IV+O or D depending on if they've got their best offensive or defensive move set.

Nameds are used for fighting, highest CP unnameds fill gyms. Lust broke the rules and filled a rarely contested gym at some point.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

slicing up eyeballs posted:

This or charmander will be my next move after walking 50km with Pikachu. I don't have a decent pikachu to evolve so i may as well earn candy with a better reward. Didn't the buddy system announcement mention other rewards for walking besides candy?

Not that we know of.

After criticizing people for using the buddy system for common Pokemon, I'm doing the same thing now for Machamp because I desperately want to power up my Snorlax-killer since my Machamp luckily evolved with Cross Chop.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
So many people are posting about seeing third-stage evolutions in the wild. I basically never see that, besides Pidgeot. I caught 159 Dratini and a bunch of Dragonair around here, but have never seen a Dragonite in the wild, not even on scanners. Same for the evolved starters, or even Butterfree. I think I saw a Beedrill once.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Apparently the Pokemon go pluses were in stock for like one hour on pokemoncenter.com. I saw a post at 55 minutes, by the time I hit submit... "error: out of stock"

I don't even want this thing that badly, I just hate that I cannot get it

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Went out late last night and had a big time tracking specific men and driving however I wanted. Decided it was time to come home when a meth head ran out into the street and tried to dive into the car. He ran out into the road holding a bunch of poo poo in front of him. Had to have been trying to take a gentle hit from the front right corner because I was going so slow. I swerved out of the way and he fell like he had leaned into it and missed.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

So this was outside my office all day today. I walked round behind the building near the pokéstop and tried to stand on the exact spot of the invisi-spawn, but nothing happened. Missingno?

My crew. These are my 90%+ IV squad; @ is for best attack moveset, # for best defence, * for both.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Entropist posted:

So many people are posting about seeing third-stage evolutions in the wild. I basically never see that, besides Pidgeot. I caught 159 Dratini and a bunch of Dragonair around here, but have never seen a Dragonite in the wild, not even on scanners. Same for the evolved starters, or even Butterfree. I think I saw a Beedrill once.

I caught 2 Dratini and a Dragonite while visiting family in NY. No Dragonairs to be found, but it's a small sample. I haven't seen any around me.

The Go+ made an attempt on a Venusaur the second day I had it. Couldn't catch it, but it was definitely there. I've also seen at least 1 Beedrill and 1 Butterfree. Oh, and a Nidoking while I was in NY, too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Had the thrill of running into a Lapras today. I miss what that feeling was like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Colonel Squish posted:

I'm not especially creative so I just have seven deadly sins and Patience, everything else gets named IV+O or D depending on if they've got their best offensive or defensive move set.

Nameds are used for fighting, highest CP unnameds fill gyms. Lust broke the rules and filled a rarely contested gym at some point.

You done hosed up when your Poliwrath isn't named Wrath

• Locked thread