Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

"Shaggy, you gotta stop hanging around Scrappy."

That is kinda the lowest common denominator, isn't it? Everything Scrappy was in was loving weird.

The live-action movie making him the villain was like a decade ahead of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I know what's going on! The person behind all these discussions is...

RED HERRING!

(To be honest the various scooby doo shows I watched were fun and I liked them. Can't really explain more. A Pup Named Scooby Doo is still my favorite, though I concede that Mystery Inc is objectively better.)

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Personally, I think Zombie Island showed Scooby shows/movies had the potential to be really really good and its premise is broad enough that writers can do almost anything with it. And with its legacy, it has the name power to get away with a lot and still rake in some dough.

The problem is the franchise is hampered by its original formula, the characters are only recently used in interesting ways, and only a few writers have managed to pull off genuine quality.

Anyway watch Mystery Inc.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A Pup Named is the best comedic Scooby Doo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wofw_lUfPSM

Also The Hex Girls are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_BlUY2eF4

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This particular Scooby Doo conversation has been very illuminating to me, because I saw all of the Red Shirt Shaggy specials on Cartoon Network with no context and even at the time I knew I was watching something weird.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 28, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Scooby Doo is probably one of the biggest cartoon franchises out there. If you put all the series together you get a weird and crazy lore. It predates the wave of big cartoons in the 80s when advertising in children's cartoons was directly legalized. I'm not sure if there are any older cartoon franchises still putting out new material like Scooby Doo does.

Also Mystery Inc was pretty good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Since we're talking about this, does anyone know why Hanna Barbara wanted scooby doo to be about solving specifically mysteries that look like they're x-files but are always a guy in a suit
That's kind of a weirdly specific thing to have every episode be. It's never just a theft or just a ghost, it has to be a theft by a guy who's pretending to be a ghost.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Because if it's just a ghost then it's not a mystery; it's a haunting
If it's just a guy stealing gold then it's not a mystery; it's just a crime

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Quick googling tells me Scooby got on the air because ACT wanted cleaner, less "violent" programming. Making all the supernatural stuff normal people in costumes was probably a way to appease them.

Also apparently the show started as "Mysteries Five" and the gang was a band that solved mysteries while going to their next gig.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
All this talk about Scooby Doo but nobody gushing about the WWE movies? Why is that? :v:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It actually can't be understated how much fun the Scooby movies became after Wrestlemania Mystery. Its the closest we have to Scooby being run by Archie Comics and its incredible. All of them have been top-tier since then. God bless Wrestlemania Mystery.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Flobbster posted:

All this talk about Scooby Doo but nobody gushing about the WWE movies? Why is that? :v:
Because why the hell would we talk about air? Why would we talk about the sky being blue? John Cena stopped a boulder, and Shaggy and Scooby won a kinect game to visit WWE City. These are facts of life that go without saying.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 28, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I feel like this thread gets into a big discussion about Scooby Doo every few months, why is that? I think another poster captured my feeling on Scooby Doo that it played on Cartoon Network way too much when I wanted to watch other things and I just grew a general aversion to it.
Was it an age thing and I just missed the boat or is there something I'm missing? I ask this from a place wanting to understand, what's the big deal with Scooby Doo?
It's had more reboots and side projects than any cartoon I can think of and I have no idea why.

It's a nostalgia thing I think. It and it's remakes and such have been running for ages, as well as internationally, so I think it just has a lot of exposure for a long time so you get fans from many generations and backgrounds.

I too think I missed the boat, being prime cartoon watching age in the last 80s and early 90s I was all about shows like the teenage mutant ninja turtles and early wave anime from the 80s and 90s like Ronin Warriors, Voltron, etc.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Flobbster posted:

I prefer the older ones myself, like Camp Scare.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

Quick googling tells me Scooby got on the air because ACT wanted cleaner, less "violent" programming. Making all the supernatural stuff normal people in costumes was probably a way to appease them.
How? There's nothing inherently violent about ghosts doing spooky stuff.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Outside of media intended for children, mysteries tend to all be murders. I assume that they felt that would be inappropriate. I don't think the original Scooby-Doo really worked at all as a mystery, since there was a lack of real giving clues to the audience, setting up proper suspect lists or red herrings, and half the time the person under the mask was never shown before the unmasking. It's no surprise that the mystery element was dropped pretty quickly when they moved onto the red shirt shaggy era.

I've heard that a lot of the show's structure was taken from The Archie Show, which makes the Archie's Weird Mysteries show make a lot more sense retroactively. It was a sort of reclaiming of Archie's place in cartoon history by reverse-engineering it into even more X-Files than Scooby Doo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I feel like this thread gets into a big discussion about Scooby Doo every few months, why is that? I think another poster captured my feeling on Scooby Doo that it played on Cartoon Network way too much when I wanted to watch other things and I just grew a general aversion to it.
Was it an age thing and I just missed the boat or is there something I'm missing? I ask this from a place wanting to understand, what's the big deal with Scooby Doo?
It's had more reboots and side projects than any cartoon I can think of and I have no idea why.

It's like how everyone has an opinion about the Simpsons - because it's been on for decades so everyone knows the general premise.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

How? There's nothing inherently violent about ghosts doing spooky stuff.

Well, these were probably the same kind of people that got 13 Ghosts cancelled for worshipping Satan or something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think the original Scooby-Doo really worked at all as a mystery, since there was a lack of real giving clues to the audience, setting up proper suspect lists or red herrings, and half the time the person under the mask was never shown before the unmasking. It's no surprise that the mystery element was dropped pretty quickly when they moved onto the red shirt shaggy era.

None of that is true at all though??

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love it because it got so weird so fast. New Scooby Doo Movies was the second thing into production after the original series and it's insane. I guess it's just 70s variety-show-inspired, but who would put Phyllis Diller on a child's cartoon show?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sockser posted:

None of that is true at all though??
yeah the person under the mask was always the first or second person the gang meets

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Quest For Glory II posted:

yeah the person under the mask was always the first or second person the gang meets

At least in the old stuff, I remember an episode of What's New where they had a twist and had the villain be someone the gang had never seen before or even had any idea about him or his real plot before they caught him, if I recall properly Velma had a mental breakdown over it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Adventure Time will be ending in 2018 with it's 9th season.

Sad to see it go, but it's had a good long run, and its effects on modern cartoons have been remarkable.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its not the end of our current cartoon era, but its certainly gonna be the end of an empire.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I say it'd be about four years overdue at that point.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
This'll make AT the 2nd longest running Cartoon Network show, behind ed, edd, n eddy and ahead of Regular Show and Power Puff Girls

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

nerdman42 posted:

Its not the end of our current cartoon era, but its certainly gonna be the end of an empire.

The "current cartoon era" probably ended back when Teen Titans Go made a bajillion dollars on a shoestring budget. Enjoy your cheaply made Flash garbage for the next 3-5 years.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think by this point, there's always going to be a cheap flash cartoon that's there to add some funds to the companies and the higher quality stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nerdman42 posted:

It actually can't be understated how much fun the Scooby movies became after Wrestlemania Mystery. Its the closest we have to Scooby being run by Archie Comics and its incredible. All of them have been top-tier since then. God bless Wrestlemania Mystery.

Frankencreepy was surprisingly good too.

Pakled posted:

Adventure Time will be ending in 2018 with it's 9th season.

Sad to see it go, but it's had a good long run, and its effects on modern cartoons have been remarkable.

I'm not sure I like its effect on modern cartoons as far as character design goes though. It works for Adventure Time because it was different at the time, but it comes off ugly as hell in some of the knockoff styles.
Has Adventure Time been good? I stopped watching it a year or two back when they started shuffling around its timeslot, and it was getting really boring and angsty so I just stopped caring.

readingatwork posted:

The "current cartoon era" probably ended back when Teen Titans Go made a bajillion dollars on a shoestring budget. Enjoy your cheaply made Flash garbage for the next 3-5 years.

If you think cheaply made Flash garbage is a new thing in cartoons, you must not have watched many of them in the 2000's.
The only one I've seen since TTG hit it big is that Magiswords poo poo that CN has been pimping the everloving hell out of lately.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 29, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

TTG is win

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raditts posted:

If you think cheaply made Flash garbage is a new thing in cartoons, you must not have watched many of them in the 2000's.
The only one I've seen since TTG hit it big is that Magiswords poo poo that CN has been pimping the everloving hell out of lately.
Whilst I'm hesitant to call it garbage and its cgi, Sonic Boom fits that category (whacky dumb antics, maybe a known franchise is involved) though if I mind correctly that's stuck warming the post adult swim 6am slots.

Honestly I don't think we're in trouble unless both Ducktails flops and Lakewood Plaza Turbo amounts to nowt.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Whilst I'm hesitant to call it garbage and its cgi, Sonic Boom fits that category (whacky dumb antics, maybe a known franchise is involved) though if I mind correctly that's stuck warming the post adult swim 6am slots.

Honestly I don't think we're in trouble unless both Ducktails flops and Lakewood Plaza Turbo amounts to nowt.

Boom has been renewed for another season though I'm not sure when it's supposed to start, but I don't remember the first half being that bad (Eggman and Knuckles are pretty much the best parts of the show).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

raditts posted:

I'm not sure I like its effect on modern cartoons as far as character design goes though. It works for Adventure Time because it was different at the time, but it comes off ugly as hell in some of the knockoff styles.
Has Adventure Time been good? I stopped watching it a year or two back when they started shuffling around its timeslot, and it was getting really boring and angsty so I just stopped caring.

It's still artsy-fartsy at times, but the angst isn't a general theme the same way it was with season 6. The crew mentioned that the season 7 finale (whenever it comes :argh:) is gonna set the events of seasons 8 and 9 into motion

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Adventure Time has always been good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Adventure Time has been bad for at least two years.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Two years ago episodes like Escape from the Citadel and Jake the Brick were coming out. This season had Stakes and The Hall of Egress and a bunch of other cool stuff. Less consistent? Sure. Bad? Nah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know those episodes, so I guess it was more than two years ago that I gave up on the series. I've tried to watch it since, but I just can't get into it anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

readingatwork posted:

Someone wasnt around for Mucha Lucha

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When was Lemonhope? Because that's the last episode I remember explicitly before I stopped watching, though it might not have been the one that broke my back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

When was Lemonhope? Because that's the last episode I remember explicitly before I stopped watching, though it might not have been the one that broke my back.

Early 2014 (late season 5)