Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What's a good chill all-T-65 escallation list if I'm the TO and just want to even it out if we have an odd number so no one has to sit out for byes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Otisburg posted:

What's a good chill all-T-65 escallation list if I'm the TO and just want to even it out if we have an odd number so no one has to sit out for byes?

Naked Rookie Pilots for days.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
X-Wing: •Biggs Darklighter (26)
•R4-D6 (1)

X-Wing: Red Squadron Pilot (25)
•R3-A2 (2)

X-Wing: Red Squadron Pilot (25)
•R2-D6 (1)
Crack Shot (1)

X-Wing: Red Squadron Pilot (24)
R2 Astromech (1)

Total: 100/100

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Escalation, bro.

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)

Luke Skywalker (28)

Total: 60

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Total: 90

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)

R2-D2 (4) for Luke

Total: 120

Hobbie Klivian (25)
Targeting Astromech (2)

Veteran Instincts (1) for Luke

R3-A2 (2) for Wes

Total: 150

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

Didn't see this earlier, but looks nice. White is notoriously difficult to work with.

Thanks.

It's easy for me mostly because this is just gloss white spray paint plus a bit of cleanup and detailing. gently caress shading and highlighting it, it's loving white.

On a related note, is it just me or does the Fang seem to be an absolute goldmine of really creating paint jobs? There have been a rash of them on the FB group lately, it's really encouraging. Something about it being small enough to address quickly but wide and flat enough to offer lots of space for paint, I think.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

goodness posted:

Along with the other 500 people doing this mod, I'm cutting up some ties today. What do people use to cut these, a saw xacto or jewelers saw?

Given that I haven't painted anything in 3 years, I need some help figuring out how to do this yellow

html color thing tells me it is Mustard color? #FFDF56

Adding to the advice, here's a tutorial a guy did.
http://alternativewargamer.blogspot.com/2016/09/painting-mining-guild-tie.html

His looks pretty good too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Thanks.

It's easy for me mostly because this is just gloss white spray paint plus a bit of cleanup and detailing. gently caress shading and highlighting it, it's loving white.

On a related note, is it just me or does the Fang seem to be an absolute goldmine of really creating paint jobs? There have been a rash of them on the FB group lately, it's really encouraging. Something about it being small enough to address quickly but wide and flat enough to offer lots of space for paint, I think.

I prefer depth to my whites, but to each their own. And yes, the new protectorate fighter is great for paint jobs. I've been looking forward to painting them ever since the reveal. They are just large and flat enough to have enough space to paint interesting things on them. The simple watercolor style I've been messing around with only took about an hour. You can even leave the bottom alone like I did since nobody will ever see them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hear waka waka waka everytime I see a Mining Guild TIE.

Which is kind of fitting considering they're usually shown chasing after The Ghost.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

A friend and I are playing tonight, he likes to run 200 point lists because they give him more options to make lists that do interesting things and he doesn't need to cut things for points as often. (I say it lets him make sloppier lists.) So I'm running this set of T-70s and ARC-170s, just to see how it flips. It's got interesting evade functionality on Red Ace and Hello Nasty

Astromech Supremacy

"Red Ace" (29)
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Ello Asty (30)
Adaptability (0)
R3 Astromech (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Predator (3)
R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Braylen Stramm (25)
Tail Gunner (2)
BB-8 (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Thane Kyrell (26)
Tail Gunner (2)
R7-T1 (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Shara Bey (28)
Adaptability (0)
Tail Gunner (2)
R5-K6 (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Total: 200

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

200 points seems like a recipe for a bad time

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alg posted:

You know that turning point moment in the game where it's pretty much decided, but you have to play through the next 45 minutes anyway?

I'm imagining getting there after an hour but still having 2 hours or more left :negative:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

alg posted:

I prefer 100, but honestly I make MUCH tighter 100 point lists than he does, and regularly smear him over the floor. With 200, you can afford to do something like "take a shield upgrade on all your ships" or "add a random Heavy Syck with a Mangler cannon" and it doesn't make you unrecoverably damaged. I place at local tournaments, the only person he plays against is me. Letting him pad the list size (and occasionally building gimmick lists) are how I avoid crushing him week after week and making him not want to play.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thane Kyrell + Jyn Erso

Biggs Darklighter

It's like a classic MMO tank/healer combo! Biggs draws aggro, Thane pumps him full of extra tokens for survival.

Add additional buffs to taste and fill the remaining space with your preferred DPS like Wedge. I might use neo-Chewbacca (maybe with Jan Ors crew) for the extra gimmick quality of getting a bonus when Biggs eats it but I'm not sure neo-Chewbacca is useful even by my gimmick squad standards.

Apologies to whoever observed the Thane-Jyn + Biggs combo before me when I wasn't reading the thread.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

canyoneer posted:

You know that turning point moment in the game where it's pretty much decided, but you have to play through the next 45 minutes anyway?

I'm imagining getting there after an hour but still having 2 hours or more left :negative:

I'll say this: 200 points makes it a little easier to come back from an early setback. There have been a decent number of games where an early swing one way ended up reversing. And we generally get done in two hours.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Cobbsprite posted:

I'll say this: 200 points makes it a little easier to come back from an early setback. There have been a decent number of games where an early swing one way ended up reversing. And we generally get done in two hours.

Yeah, 200 points doesn't sound too bad, if you're more interested in playing a single game instead of two 100 points games (and with changing over lists between, as I normally do, probably would b even longer)

I keep thinking I'd like to play a 150 pt. game, though unless ( manage to start right away (there's someone there at the beginning) it'll likely be the only game I play in the night, since I usually have barely enough time to finish two 100 point games)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I hear waka waka waka everytime I see a Mining Guild TIE.

Which is kind of fitting considering they're usually shown chasing after The Ghost.

Hah, never looked at it that way! But the question is...have the MG TIE pilots been popping pills and eating cherries prior to giving chase to the Ghost?

Also, I really like Fang Fighters in general; I love the really high risk-reward aspect of it, with the ship being highly fragile and the title+aggressiveness requiring you to be facing off against another ship at R1, in addition to all their pilot abilities being R1-only.
Played a game against my own double-Defender (x7) and AWACS Bomber for testing purposes and went well, coming down to a 1v1 between Rexler and Fenn. I still feel like the Defender list is better suited for a tournament as it's more capable of dealing with a random assortment of in-meta and out-of-meta lists, but drat Fang Fighters are fun to fly

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Still new to this, do you roll defense dice when the opponent is using secondary weapons?

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 28, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jxforema posted:

Still new to this, do you roll defense dice when the opponent is using secondary weapons?

You do, but there's no range bonus.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Are there any mats out there that resemble the surface of the Death Star? Or are any planned?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Red posted:

Are there any mats out there that resemble the surface of the Death Star? Or are any planned?

I'm sure I've seen someone at my LGS use one, before. I don't think I can find the exact mat they used, but it was something like this.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Red posted:

http://www.gamematz.com/star-wars-x-wing-trench-run-battle-mat/

I really, really prefer neoprene to vinyl though

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope they do an SK base one.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I hope they do an SK base one.

Thats my prediction for SWX58.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Heres my Fen/IG/Manaroo version 2.0

Fen - title, Mindlink, Autothrusters
Manaroo - mindlink
Scout - P1 title, gonk, mindlink

I ditched the IG because without the points for a cannon to take B the other IGs aren't all that appealing. The best part about him was autothrusters and his high HP but maybe a scout with 360 arc and gonk can dodge/regen enough to make up for his weaker agil. Mindlink is also much stronger than just passing a single focus with Roo and if both my dmg ships bump they wont have to fight over who gets the focus and it leaves the scout open to Gonk away forever. I can also fit the Protectorate title with this version so thats good. Thoughts?

edit: drat i kinda wanna throw a feedback array on the scout. Goddamn punishing one title, so expensive

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 29, 2016

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Here's my take on Fenn linked.

Protectorate Star.: •Fenn Rau (32)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord dawn protector (1)
Attanni Mindlink (1)

Y-Wing: •Kavil (34)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Unhinged Astromech (1)

Jumpmaster 5000: •Manaroo (34)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
•R5-P8 (3)
Feedback Array (2)

Total: 100/100

Needs more testing though. Manaroo with tactician/slicer tools could be an option for more control. But Blocker from hell also works for me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So is HotR out today?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Thats my prediction for SWX58.

Mine is one of Saw Gurerra's Partisan X-Wings with the rad paintjob and mythical "T-65 fix."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ARC-170: · Norra Wexley (29)
Push The Limit (3)
R2 Astromech (1)
Vectored Thrusters (2)
· Kyle Katarn (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

ARC-170: · Shara Bey (28)
Adaptability (Increase) (0)
Targeting Astromech (2)
Tail Gunner (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

X-Wing: · Wedge Antilles (29)
Adaptability (Increase) (0)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Norra enables her own ability and can roll to get a better shot. I didn't want Norra to have to rely on other ships to activate her ability, and the R2 gets her those sweet green hard 2s. I'm taking this to league tonight, any suggestions?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 29, 2016

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I am trying to put a 100 pt combination using my Decimator and the new special forces tie. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe throw a couple of FO tie fighters in there?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So is HotR out today?

I think it's still on the boat, isn't it?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I was asked to bring some minis to work tomorrow to show some people how the game works. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to bring? I have basically 1 of every ship. I'd prefer to keep it simple (no or few upgrade cards, etc).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

I think it's still on the boat, isn't it?

There were rumors floating around that it would be out for Force Friday. Guess not!

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

canyonero posted:

I was asked to bring some minis to work tomorrow to show some people how the game works. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to bring? I have basically 1 of every ship. I'd prefer to keep it simple (no or few upgrade cards, etc).

If you're just showing how the game works, keep it simple and iconic. An X-Wing, a Y-Wing, and enough TIEs for a balanced game against them.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

canyonero posted:

Maybe just a core set(X-wing and two ties)?

Or you can bring Dengaroo and explain two jumpmasters is the only thing people will ever play.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm a big fan of X Wing, TIE fighters, Slave 1 with HLC and Millennium Falcon as a starting spread.

People get excited seeing ships they recognize and it introduces good concepts (turrets are awesome, big ships move weird, big dice attacks with HLC)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think extremely simple is best. Do 2x Academy TIE 2x Obsidian TIE vs 2x Rookie X Wing w/ Protons. Yeah Protons suck but this is very "movie thematic," has a minimum of rules while still teaching about locks, ordnance, and skill superiority effects on post-dial movement and firing priority.

It's how they taught at Gen Con 2012 and it works! You can introduce fancy poo poo like turrets and other Upgrade cards in a second match. I teach with this approach and it's very successful. Very important to begin with regular ships and let them think the game is actually about firing arcs before introducing primary weapon turrets ;)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Alternatively just introduce them to real X-Wing and throw everyone into the deep end right away by bringing Palp Aces vs Triple Jumpmasters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

AndyElusive posted:

Alternatively just introduce them to real X-Wing and throw everyone into the deep end right away by bringing Palp Aces vs Triple Jumpmasters.

I agree this game has too many players

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The core sets have really good tutorials. Just do those. If they like that, add more poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AndyElusive posted:

This is how I did it with mini swarm + whisper vs fat Han before and it worked for people (4). I have had 2 friends actually tell me that when I first introduced them to it with two ties vs the x wing and no asteroids, they were actually put off until I used more meaty lists. Don't patronize people's ability to grasp simple concepts by using baby lists is what I learned.

• Locked thread