Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Vox Nihili posted:

Fireball is a stupidly good spell right now. Flock of doom is also quite solid. Foot of gork can be decent in extremely specific situations (versus VC deathball mostly).

All the magic missiles and vortexes are basically crap, though.

What do you do with fireball? I never use it in favour of buffs. Piercing Bolts is a good missile spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

foot of gork destroys ephereal units pretty much instantly

Ork solution for ghosts: step on them.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

wiegieman posted:

Do green skins have a reliable source of magic weapons? They can't just put in fire magic like Empire and chaos, so wraiths might be really solid against them, especially with terror and low green skin morale.

If you aren't blobbing them ethereals are OK against orcs but their role is an anti-armour unit that can't be countered by elites. I used them pretty well in my second match vs. Beans using them as distractions against units that couldn't hurt them. They aren't in practice easy for an orc player to kill off even if he did have foot he never had a good opportunity to get rid of them with it.

They aren't amazing against any faction IMO because they deal damage slowly and the only faction that has all armoured units, the dwarves, take 25% less damage from them while also having a pretty decent direct damage ability that takes them out quickly. In every other matchup, they'll beat the armoured elite unit but if they get bogged down by anything else they'll not be cost effective due to their low stats.

Mukip posted:

What do you do with fireball? I never use it in favour of buffs. Piercing Bolts is a good missile spell.

Fling them at cavalry IMO.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mukip posted:

Other people overcast it to 3-shot my giant before it can march its lazy rear end to the fight. It seems to do 2000+ damage a shot, and the giants are too slow to dodge. They also use it to pick off my cannons one by one when I play dwarf, which is sometimes effective.

I don't use it myself that much, but it's a decent anti-lord, anti-large tool with a short cooldown.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Fireball is arguably the best missile spell to do cool trick shots with, it'll wreck pretty much anything it hits and you have better control over it's flight path than most spells.

I'm not that good with fireball but I've seen people do some pretty nutty things with it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

madmac posted:

Fireball is arguably the best missile spell to do cool trick shots with, it'll wreck pretty much anything it hits and you have better control over it's flight path than most spells.

I'm not that good with fireball but I've seen people do some pretty nutty things with it.

Yeah, you can scorch an entire line of elite infantry and still hit their general if manage to pull off those shots.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
My doom diver catapults never attack what I order them to, and change targets immediately to whatever is closer. Any idea what is going on?

This is multiplayer.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Seems to be their guided missile trait causes them to target things independently. Might be intentional.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is there a way to show unit cards in the overhead tactical map? I've been using it a lot to deploy in forested areas where it's really hard to see what's going on in the normal view, but it would be convenient if I could have the unit cards at the bottom as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
ANy tips for city building with the VC's ?

It seems like I can almost get away with skipping the unit buildings early on and just start with the economic buildings (gold mine, growth building, etc.) instead for a while first, using raise dead and regiments of renown as a crutch. Am I wrong in that or good strat?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It seems like I can almost get away with skipping the unit buildings early on and just start with the economic buildings (gold mine, growth building, etc.) instead for a while first, using raise dead and regiments of renown as a crutch. Am I wrong in that or good strat?

This is not too bad a strategy although I've found that growth is never so run-away that I can't also build the military stuff as I go. The important thing with VCs is getting your cities to tier 4 so you can build vampire crypts and necromancer libraries, which boost your income a lot and give a bunch of other bonuses too (like research rate). You probably want both of those in every province capital you have.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Drunk in Space posted:

Is there a way to show unit cards in the overhead tactical map? I've been using it a lot to deploy in forested areas where it's really hard to see what's going on in the normal view, but it would be convenient if I could have the unit cards at the bottom as well.

I don't know if that's possible but you can hide foliage on the battle map, which helps a bit. Hold down space bar and check the box next to foliage on the right. If you press the lock button foliage will disappear where you mouse over without holding space, I think.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Flakey posted:

I don't know if that's possible but you can hide foliage on the battle map, which helps a bit. Hold down space bar and check the box next to foliage on the right. If you press the lock button foliage will disappear where you mouse over without holding space, I think.

I'm not in the game right now so I can't check, but does this hide the trees for the normal 3D view or just the overhead? Because cutting them down to stumps or something in the normal view would actually be really useful, drat.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm not in the game right now so I can't check, but does this hide the trees for the normal 3D view or just the overhead? Because cutting them down to stumps or something in the normal view would actually be really useful, drat.

Yeah, it hides foliage in the normal view. Makes forest battles actually playable.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It can work, with VC's you need to build tall and get your growth early, because your main economic and agent buildings are tier 4. To be honest, if you have a good legendary lord like Vlad or Manfred and preserve your elite units, you can get away with pretty much anything in the early game.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Do forested areas actually have an effect on combat anymore? (other than being a pain in the rear end for the player to actually see and do anything, of course). This is something I think I've been wondering about since they changed their engine in RTW and allowed you to go down amongst the trees for the first time. In the original Shogun and Medieval games, forests gave an obvious buff to infantry against cavalry and protected you from missile fire, but I don't think I've really noticed that being the case in subsequent titles. (edit: I have noticed that trees sometimes block artillery shots in this game)

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 29, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

Do forested areas actually have an effect on combat anymore? (other than being a pain in the rear end for the player to actually see and do anything, of course). This is something I think I've been wondering about since they changed their engine in RTW and allowed you to go down amongst the trees for the first time. In the original Shogun and Medieval games, forests gave an obvious buff to infantry against cavalry and protected you from missile fire, but I don't think I've really noticed that being the case in subsequent titles.

They slow down and inflict a melee attack debuff on large units IIRC. Trees also will block missiles.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

They slow down and inflict a melee attack debuff on large units IIRC. Trees also will block missiles.

This is correct. There are a few large units - notably a bunch of Beastmen ones, or the summoned Feral Manticore - who have no forest penalty.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AI will be able to recruit regiments of renown next patch.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The missile block of trees can be really significant if you're taking artillery fire. Trees blocking a handful of arrows isn't bad, but completly negating one or more hell cannon bolts or cygor rocks can really help preserve your troops.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I saw some Q's about the regiments of renown. The regiments of renown are pretty astoundingly good in specific circumstances (mostly against VC, which makes sense thematically), but I wanted to highlight some of the best ones: the silver bullets. They get magical damage so they're super good against ghosts. Most notably, a line of hand gunners will straight up kill (100% to 0%) a banshee hero before it reaches them (assuming it charges head on). Cairnwraths/horrors get similarly mulched the gently caress up by this unit. Also they get stalk and are better versions of one of the best missile units already. Seriously, this RoR is just amazingly good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Sigmar's Sons also own because they're unbreakable.

The reiksguard with vanguard deployment are pretty boss too

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't almost all beastmen units get no forest penalty? With their huge melee focus it makes sense to pick a forest fight if at all possible, as long as it won't get in the way of their charge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wiegieman posted:

Don't almost all beastmen units get no forest penalty? With their huge melee focus it makes sense to pick a forest fight if at all possible, as long as it won't get in the way of their charge.

You want to hug forests as much as possible, because it makes their already high ambush chance pretty much guaranteed to succeed.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sigmar's Sons also own because they're unbreakable.

The reiksguard with vanguard deployment are pretty boss too

Sigmar's Sons are always on one of my siege towers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Goddamnit CA tell me about the Wood Elves you're releasing next.

e: vvvvv If anything, they should let all cavalry except Bretonnia dismount. Fuckers are too proud to get off their horses.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 30, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I need more Orc units, Brettonia would be great, especially if they let Brettonian cavalry dismount for sieges.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pegasus knights, dismount and land! ...Wait, wrong order, land and dism--gently caress!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
"Hey CA, take your stolen dlc units and shove them up your rear end.
If you look at the unit mods and the units they release for "Free" you see they stole a few ideas."

- a real idiot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I won't call CA on stealing from modders until I see a DLC pack that is five different variants of Black Orc archers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I won't call CA on stealing from modders until I see a DLC pack that is five different variants of Black Orc archers.

Hear hear

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Ok, I'm playing an Empire game (restarted after my first abortive attempt, doing better this time I think). I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the point of having all of the cities and provinces, outside of taxes and trade goods? I mean, I have the option to build all of this poo poo in each city, but outside of a few cities with special buildings, it's all pretty much the same stuff. Is there a reason, once I have 4-5 provinces, that I would be building multiple stables, barracks, etc.? I'm kind of missing the point, because other than local recruiting at a slightly lower cost (in which case, that's only really valuable if it happens to be near your front, and is mostly useless for cities in the rear), it seems like it really adds nothing.

2. What is the "point" of the Varg, Skaeling, etc.? They just seem to be these loving cities in a frozen wasteland that are nearly impossible to root out, that occasionally drop giant blobs of death into the south. I went up there earlier, razed a whole bunch of cities, but the attrition eventually made me leave, and now they're just built back up again. Are you actually supposed to take them out? I'm getting sick of playing whack-a-mole with their stupid armies going down to raid things, but it does not seem feasible to wipe them out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SlyFrog posted:

Ok, I'm playing an Empire game (restarted after my first abortive attempt, doing better this time I think). I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the point of having all of the cities and provinces, outside of taxes and trade goods? I mean, I have the option to build all of this poo poo in each city, but outside of a few cities with special buildings, it's all pretty much the same stuff. Is there a reason, once I have 4-5 provinces, that I would be building multiple stables, barracks, etc.? I'm kind of missing the point, because other than local recruiting at a slightly lower cost (in which case, that's only really valuable if it happens to be near your front, and is mostly useless for cities in the rear), it seems like it really adds nothing.

Most of your towns should be specced for income and possibly defensive garrisons, yes. The value of building recruitment buildings is partly the reduced cost, but mainly the shortened reinforcement lines. Don't feel like you need to upgrade everything fully.

quote:

2. What is the "point" of the Varg, Skaeling, etc.? They just seem to be these loving cities in a frozen wasteland that are nearly impossible to root out, that occasionally drop giant blobs of death into the south. I went up there earlier, razed a whole bunch of cities, but the attrition eventually made me leave, and now they're just built back up again. Are you actually supposed to take them out? I'm getting sick of playing whack-a-mole with their stupid armies going down to raid things, but it does not seem feasible to wipe them out.

The Norsca are kinda there to be pain in the arse, yeah. They penalize empire players for expanding into the powerful, rich provinces to the north that you need for your victory objectives. It is possible to wipe them out but it's a pain - easier to sack and raze the coastal settlements, and maintain a stack of low tier units to deal with them.

Their units are all weak, so crossbows and mortars shred them. Make sure you use Ambush stance. On the plus side fighting Norsca builds positive relationship with all Empire factions, so it helps you towards diplomatic victory.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Forest Goblin Cataphract Archers (Light Infantry)

Also, this longer than usual delay for a DLC announcement is loving with me. Plz CA give me Durthu and Treemen so I can create my own March of the Ents, and give me Elves so I can shoot them with my Dwarfs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If it really bothers you that the Norscan factions can put out a dozen max veterancy armies each with the resources available to them in the frozen hellscape they live in, you can get a mod for that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The pain in the rear end that the Norscans are will probably dimish a bit after the first expansion, since Skaeling should have the Ulthuan factions as possible targets as well.

Also fleets to sink their raiding warbands.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

Also fleets to sink their raiding warbands.

I wanna sink all the warbands, have submarines do it.

Submarines filled to the brim with skittering, paranoid rat people.

*sigh*

Also i want my Elves already, especially the hermit crazy guy edition with bullshit autoaim arrows. I really hope they put those in!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Dark Elf campaign should be interesting in that light though: you have Ulthuan blocking you in the East, with waves upon waves of Chaos Bands poking you from the North/West. I do wonder if they'll implement an underwater underway stance for Dark Elf ships; I've read there's a whole underground sea on their continent so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, Beastmen. I've got two hordes, one with Minos, one with Bray-Shaman. I'm finding myself being cut to shreds by archers too much, and need a light cavalry building, but I essentially have three choices. Poison Warhounds, Centigors, or Razorgors. Which one should I go for first? Centigors seem better for hunting down skirmishers and foot infantry, but Razorgors seem like they'd do better once they got there, and be more versatile against elite infantry to boot. Poison Warhounds seem the cheapest, but Horrors seem like they overlap a bit with Minos, so I'm not sure that whole tree is worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Get one warhound building to start with. You're need it for a character quest at some point.

• Locked thread