Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Geniasis posted:

Speaking of turians, it always seemed odd to me that the lore talks about how turians and humans have a somewhat tense diplomatic relationship, but for the most part the turians and humans we actually see seem to get on just fine.

Yeah, that aspect of the setting is underdeveloped. I imagine if the main plot of the first three games wasn't the Reapers, there could've been more time to focus on the relations between the different governing bodies in the game. It's a missed opportunity that I don't think even Andromeda can deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Wow, the original concept is kinda flat, far more human-centric that anything we got, and more "Masters of Orion" than "UN in space" in terms of world-building.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 29, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

stargate

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Turians, I keep seeing Garrus' voice actor pop in a bunch of shows like Castle and it completely takes me out of the mood, every single time. He's got such a distinct voice and doesn't seem to have had any modulation effect added to it in the game, which caught me by surprise.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of Turians, I keep seeing Garrus' voice actor pop in a bunch of shows like Castle and it completely takes me out of the mood, every single time. He's got such a distinct voice and doesn't seem to have had any modulation effect added to it in the game, which caught me by surprise.

hey check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_cSxH_JwxY

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
something something ridin' Garrus for years

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nichael posted:

Yeah, that aspect of the setting is underdeveloped. I imagine if the main plot of the first three games wasn't the Reapers, there could've been more time to focus on the relations between the different governing bodies in the game. It's a missed opportunity that I don't think even Andromeda can deal with.

That's just the thing isn't it? The relations between the different alien societies and humanity and the relations between the aliens themselves is far more interesting both in concept and execution than the whole Reaper plot, the Genophage, the Batarian-Human conflict and the Citadel Council are all, in my mind, much more interesting than the grand Reaper story as it was given to us with that whole singularity thing (though the limited version of the Reaper story represented by ME1 was pretty neat for what it was).

That's why ME3 is disappointing story wise to me as it tore down all that interesting stuff and replaced it with star child rather than go somewhere interesting with it, and why I don't really give a drat about Andromeda either because 3 and the setting of Andromeda (another galaxy) essentially mean they are going away from everything I found interesting about the story and lore of the previous games and leaving it behind.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 29, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't know why but I really, really don't like plots where humans are the chosen inheritors of precursor alien junk. I'm glad we got a story about the species making its own way instead of reclaiming daddy's (:speculate:) mansion and his seat on the space council.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't know why but I really, really don't like plots where humans are the chosen inheritors of precursor alien junk. I'm glad we got a story about the species making its own way instead of reclaiming daddy's (:speculate:) mansion and his seat on the space council.

This is also what happened with Halo when they decided to make Humans be an ancient spacefaring civilization rather than just a sentient lifeform that was advanced enough for the Forerunner technology to determine a Halo activation was needed again.

Yeah, everything that came out after Halo Reach is garbage.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is also what happened with Halo when they decided to make Humans be an ancient spacefaring civilization rather than just a sentient lifeform that was advanced enough for the Forerunner technology to determine a Halo activation was needed again.

Yeah, everything that came out after Halo Reach is garbage.

humans being special in halo started before 343, with them being classed as 'reclaimers' by forerunner tech
which the other aliens took as cause to declare war since their religion was based around them being the special chosen group.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AriadneThread posted:

humans being special in halo started before 343, with them being classed as 'reclaimers' by forerunner tech
which the other aliens took as cause to declare war since their religion was based around them being the special chosen group.

Difference being that Halo always seemed more interested in the Human/Covenant interactions than the existential threat of the Flood.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Difference being that Halo always seemed more interested in the Human/Covenant interactions than the existential threat of the Flood.

true, humans being special didn't really mean anything in itself
i take it the new games changed that? i didn't keep up after reach

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AriadneThread posted:

true, humans being special didn't really mean anything in itself
i take it the new games changed that? i didn't keep up after reach

The 343 Games brought back one of the Forerunners to defeat the humens because he was mad that reclaimers were around and he was a dick. Then in Halo 5 Cortana became the space police and took over giant Guardian sentinels to stop all wars by holding the galaxy at gunpoint. And Chief continues his ascendance towards space marine jesus.

They also doubled down on their extended universe novels, including a series set in the time of the Forerunners where humans and Forerunners were rival species. It all gets really dumb.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That's impressively dumb, even for Halo. The series that should've ended after Reach in so, so many ways.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah Prior to 343 taking over the humans were basically just considered interesting enough by one of the forerunners to protect from the halo activations in her life-boat. All the poo poo they dig up in Halo 2 is basically her research lab and personal spaceship. Then they retconned things again and the poo poo got extra stupid.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IIRC the recent ones are also about an AI uprising. So the Reapers were right!!! It keeps happening!!!! :sbahj:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ilovebees was the best thing to come out of halo imo, used the humanity-at-stake drama as a backdrop and focused on an actually human story. worked out pretty great from a marketing perspective seeing as that actually got me invested in their dumb shootmans game for almost half a decade.

more on topic with mass effect, that's also why i don't want the romance stuff to entirely go away? like, yeah it's mostly badly written bordering on creepy with the need to appeal to gamer power fantasy, but at least it's attempt to create more personal connections beyond the big space opera drama? it would be great if they could let go of their need to puff up the player and just trust their writing and presentation to have an appeal on it's own merits.
dragon age: inquisition with it's solas romance isn't quite there but i think is a great step in that direction.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
All fair, but I do like both the revelation that the Forerunners were themselves living in the shadow of a greater, even more ancient civilization as well as the revelation that this civilization was, in fact, The Flood.

(Well, sort of.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Flood are powdered precursors who planned on taking over other people's bodies to facilitate their rebirth, but unsurprisingly being turned into a fine powder drives you insane so now they're hell bent on turning everyone into hell cancer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AriadneThread posted:

ilovebees was the best thing to come out of halo imo, used the humanity-at-stake drama as a backdrop and focused on an actually human story. worked out pretty great from a marketing perspective seeing as that actually got me invested in their dumb shootmans game for almost half a decade.

ilovebees was great, it was so sad playing the game and realizing the story wasn't going to be as good as that. You should check out hunt the truth if you haven't.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So I've got a 4K monitor. Is there any way to roid out my visuals and run at 4k resolution without the dialogue UI shrinking to the size of a thumbnail?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Four years later and I only just got the thread title.

I even have that song on my work out playlist for gently caress sake. :suicide:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/10/03/nycc-2016-dark-horse-will-release-new-mass-effect-dragon-age-comics-in-2017

Some announcements!

The Art of Mass Effect Andromeda confirmed for March 21, which probably means that's our game release date too! :toot:

Also, March 1: The Mass Effect Adult Coloring Book. :getin: (obligatory joke about how the only color pencils you can use are red, green and blue)
- Paging skoolmunkee! Were you consulted on this???

And sometime around then ("spring"), a new comic series called Mass Effect: Discovery is starting up.

Finally, in fall next year, The Mass Effect Andromeda Poster Collection.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A colouring book.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

An adult colouring book :grin:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFJYko56Cw

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

2house2fly posted:

A colouring book.

I can understand the appeal, I guess. Not everyone has the skill for good line art, but they may still want to work on a picture. Like, my wife works on comics and vastly prefers inking to drawing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm kind of hopeful for Andromeda now. Starting off fresh without any of the mistakes of the past to make a new game sounds nice. Without all those callbacks and poorly thought out plot threads, we can focus more on the classic exploration theme.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I want this played at my funeral.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I went to Great America the other day and experienced the Mass Effect ride.

It's a movie in 3d with moving chairs (a la star tours). But there's also smell-o-vision (when the ship flies near some dirt and rubble it blasts some dirty-smelling air at you). And there's a live actor narrating you through the experience.

Plot that I can remember below:

You are on a converted military turned vacation ship going to Noveria. The war hasn't started yet. You take the mass relay and the Normandy is just ahead of you in line (for no reason). Garrus berates you for being too close.

Shortly after arriving the reapers start their attack, you hear scary news transmissions, and a reaper shows up on Noveria. The ship flies around the environment and crashes into things, then lands in the forest. Wrex is there (for no reason) and then there's guns on your ship (for some handwave reason.)

The ship flies around and the normandy tells you to do things and together you attack the reaper. You defeat the reaper. The ride ends.

It's actually a really dumb story full of name dropping characters who have no reason to be there. It's obviously not "canon". But, well, it's Star Tours mass effect version and it's kinda fun so :shrug:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

holy poo poo I am dying

this is the best thing this thread produced in the last couple of months

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ShadowHawk posted:

I went to Great America the other day and experienced the Mass Effect ride.

It's a movie in 3d with moving chairs (a la star tours). But there's also smell-o-vision (when the ship flies near some dirt and rubble it blasts some dirty-smelling air at you). And there's a live actor narrating you through the experience.

Plot that I can remember below:

You are on a converted military turned vacation ship going to Noveria. The war hasn't started yet. You take the mass relay and the Normandy is just ahead of you in line (for no reason). Garrus berates you for being too close.

Shortly after arriving the reapers start their attack, you hear scary news transmissions, and a reaper shows up on Noveria. The ship flies around the environment and crashes into things, then lands in the forest. Wrex is there (for no reason) and then there's guns on your ship (for some handwave reason.)

The ship flies around and the normandy tells you to do things and together you attack the reaper. You defeat the reaper. The ride ends.

It's actually a really dumb story full of name dropping characters who have no reason to be there. It's obviously not "canon". But, well, it's Star Tours mass effect version and it's kinda fun so :shrug:

Most important question: is there a gift shop at the end? :3:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The NK Jemisin novel has been delayed so the first new ME book will be Nexus Uprising in March, followed later in the year by Lost Ark, then Jemisin's Initiative. A fourth book will follow in 2018.

From this publisher's catalogue: http://media.titanbooks.com/filebrowser/2016_rightsguide-frankfurt.pdf

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is the music used in this commercial a modified piece from the ME3 soundtrack? I was thinking it's the cinematic trailer but I don't think that's right. It's driving me crazy, and I know EA has a habit of licensing out Mass Effect and Command & Conquer music to different things.

And speaking of that trailer, I'll never get why Major Coats is portrayed as a major character in the trailer and then gets like three lines in the game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nichael posted:

Is the music used in this commercial a modified piece from the ME3 soundtrack? I was thinking it's the cinematic trailer but I don't think that's right. It's driving me crazy, and I know EA has a habit of licensing out Mass Effect and Command & Conquer music to different things.

And speaking of that trailer, I'll never get why Major Coats is portrayed as a major character in the trailer and then gets like three lines in the game.

The first thing I noticed it in was when they aired a promo for the season 3 finale for Homeland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4B3SKcEHGI

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's been long enough at this point but has anyone come up with an explanation for the Reapers master plan being "To stop people from being killed by armies of robots, we will kill them with armies of robots." Like it should have been a conversation option to tell the Star-Child it's plan achieves the literal opposite of its goal. Instead Shepard just shrugs and acts likeit makes any kind of coherent sense.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It's been long enough at this point but has anyone come up with an explanation for the Reapers master plan being "To stop people from being killed by armies of robots, we will kill them with armies of robots." Like it should have been a conversation option to tell the Star-Child it's plan achieves the literal opposite of its goal. Instead Shepard just shrugs and acts likeit makes any kind of coherent sense.
I think the idea was that the Reapers' method at least preserves the civilizations in some way, whereas when the robots and fleshies are left to annihilate each other, nothing survives.

Yeah it's weak as poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
well the idea is that other killer robots would exterminate organic life outright, while the reapers are content just killing organics who reach killer robot building status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The reapers harvest species and with super advanced reaper tech, mush all the people together so that they become a single conscious entity with the intellect and memory of the entire species combined in the reaper squid space body based on the leviathan species.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread