Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

we need Nelson MandEULA to decide if its dead

Nelson MandEULA posted:

blackberry is dead when i say its dead. post various definitions of rim death and i'll pick the one that makes the most sense.

does anyone have the definitions of dead from the original thread? i think blackberry has died previously when they stopped building phones themselves but idk what the official yospos rules are on this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Thanks Ants posted:

we need Nelson MandEULA to decide if its dead

does anyone have the definitions of dead from the original thread? i think blackberry has died previously when they stopped building phones themselves but idk what the official yospos rules are on this
Like so?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

RIM blackberry makes bad phones for clueless olds, obnoxious business olds, third worlders, and other chronically out-of-touch demographics. The market has decided they should be punished.

WHAT COUNTS AS RIM blackberry DEATH

Bailout by the Government of Canada/Gouvernement du Canada
Bankruptcy filing
Breaking off of or sales of divisions such as phones, tablets, software, or operations
Discontinuation of all hardware sales
Company bought by a tech company (i.e. Amazon rolling up some patents, not Hudson's Bay Company or Bombardier trying to break in to the oldphone business)

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
By 8pm US Eastern (Miami) time, September 25, 2013, guess a date in 2013 or 2014 that RIM blackberry will die before.

If whoever the ceo is folds the company on July 1, 2014 (Canada Day), the gentle poster that guessed July 4 would beat whoever guessed June 30 or July 5.

WHY YOU SHOULD HELP
For great prizes!

GRAND PRIZE IF YOU GUESS THE EXACT DAY: a GSM BlackBerry of my choice
FIRST PRIZE FOR THE CLOSEST: the windows phone of my choice
SECOND PRIZE: an unlocked GSM Android of my choice
THIRD PRIZE: some junk food

WHAT IF THEY DON'T DIE
You don't get poo poo.

WHAT IF THEY DIE BEFORE SEPT. 25 2013
You don't get poo poo.

WHAT IF THERE'S A TIE
Whoever guessed that date first gets it.

WHAT IF I GUESS TWO DATES
You're disqualified, and don't start any drat fool side bets because I'm not going to read that poo poo.

WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY ANNOUNCE A MERGER BUT IT DOESN'T TAKE EFFECT FOR A WHILE
Announcing something doesn't count, doing the thing does.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wrap it up, blackberrailures

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i guess its dead then because the new arrangement seems like it will be a "powered by blackberry" tagline on some poorphone

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

i guess its dead then because the new arrangement seems like it will be a "powered by blackberry" tagline on some poorphone
yeah it's pretty clear that "discontinuation of all hardware sales" is in full effect at this point

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah it's pretty clear that "discontinuation of all hardware sales" is in full effect at this point

concur

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So do they keep the hardware patents to keep suing competitors or sell them off?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bonzo posted:

So do they keep the hardware patents to keep suing competitors or sell them off?
gotta keep ryan seacrest in line

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kenny Logins posted:

they stopped selling hardware a long time ago, they just hadn't admitted it to themselves.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

they stopped selling hardware a long time ago, they just hadn't admitted it to themselves.

there is a very real difference between not selling hardware and no one buying the hardware one sells

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
rim died when they started making android phones imo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

so who won the death pool

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if the prize is a blackberry then everybody will be shuffling around pointing at someone else as the winner

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:rip:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Share Bear posted:

so who won the death pool

we all did

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I won. Send me the bad phone.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the laughs were the real prize

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kenny Logins posted:

could that really be considered the death of the company though, sounds like they're going the Sega route so it sounds like they're dying but not quite dead yet

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

could that really be considered the death of the company though, sounds like they're going the Sega route so it sounds like they're dying but not quite dead yet
it's arguable that the death pool rules should not have considered that a sufficient condition as such. it's not really arguable that the condition has been met for the purposes of the pool. especially for a tech company that was always so horny about promoting their hardware "advantage", i.e. their sole advantage

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i need to find the thread, but if your company is pivoting from rimm blackberries (hardware cellphone + os) to rimm blackberry farms (an amusement park, or actual farm) it should count

sega still makes and publishes video games

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
companies rarely die completely, often they end up being a mailbox in a law firm somewhere after years of shrinking. we have to draw the line somewhere, and the number one smartphone maker in the world circa 2007 stopping making phones entirely seems like a pretty good place to do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i wonder if kevin is still flying the flag

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Thanks Ants posted:

i wonder if kevin is still flying the flag

i just skimmed the comments of the cb story and saw this

quote:

Phoenix88
This is a lesson in how a great company with outstanding products took its eye off the market and let themselves go down the drain. Pity they can't find a buyer who will turn the company around. Perhaps an entrepreneur like Elon Musk.....

Posted via CB10
19 hours ago

Soeasy
Bullshit Dude. Blackberry was NEVER EVER a consumer phone. Coporate folks used BBs at work and then started buying them at home and for their kids because of they way the compressed data.

The minute Apple dropped the iPhone and those two former clowns said "People don't want to take pictures with their phones" Blackberry's days were numbered.

It has NOTHING to do with your products. It has EVERYTHING to do with LEADERSHIP VISION.

There are almost ZERO of the community members here from the days of the Playbook. Most were banned for daring to point out that BBs was going down the wrong road. And TROLL moderators like BRANTA made sure that things here were kept in fairy-tale land.

**** even Kevin doesn't come here any more.
:smith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
since the announcement is dated sept 28 i guess that makes "paopi" the winning egyptian month

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since the announcement is dated sept 28 i guess that makes "paopi" the winning egyptian month
suck it, meshir-ailures

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Scott Forstall posted:

i just skimmed the comments of the cb story and saw this

:smith:

lol, former clowns. not even full clowns.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

last one to leave the crackberry forums please pull the battery

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
so how long until blackberries replace Nokia as the new yospos hipster phone? 2 years from now? 3?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

last one to leave the crackberry forums please pull the battery

lol need to find some choice quotes from there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

Chen's a member of the CFR and I don't understand why nobody digged that out - especially that you care so much about the company. Do you guys really don't see the big picture?
Blackberry is in the business of securing sensible information and the CFR is in the business of listening to sensible information. #newworldorder
The old Blackberry just happened to be in the way of globalisation.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

Okay there's a lot assumptions from you regarding this post. On CB we post our opinions regarding everything BlackBerry. This post is an opinion of mine, not call for an action. Back to what I'm trying to say is that BlackBerry isn't BlackBerry without handsets. I believe there is a chance for BlackBerry to still make it in hardware division.

Chen made many promises last year but fast forward to today, I personally haven't noticed anything he's done to save the handset division. So of course it's going to fail if there's no effort from the company to save it. Am I glad BlackBerry is turning around and making profit? You better believe I am. I just don't believe in killing the hardware division. I made 3 of my friends switch to BlackBerry Passport and they love it to death. If only everyone else knew BlackBerry still made phones lol

Posted via CB10

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah, so it was an illuminati conspiracy that made their products suck rear end for over a decade

also ignoring the fact that they handed over their encryption keys to any government that asked and i'm willing to bet their one and only DC in waterloo has been compromised to hell and back by state sponsored actors

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ? Here we are today greeting the announcement of Blackberry's exit from designing and manufacturing hardware with silent resignation as we watch another Canadian point of pride is driven out of a marketplace they helped create.

One can understand when ICE (U.S. Immigration) elected to move wholesale to Apple, in part to channel taxpayer funding to support their domestic player and (I'm sure) comply with the very vocal local Congressmen to do the patriotic thing and buy American. Nothing wrong in that. However, I've not heard one Canadian voice or institution stand up and a show any concern or support for this home grown innovative company whose brand is known around the world. Where are our politicians giving tangible support to keep this company able to compete internationally by supporting it at home?

I can only surmise that John's "surprise" comes from knowing this type of national indifference would never happen in the U.S. or for that matter in China.

lmao the entire forum is conspiracy theorists

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

My Linux Rig posted:

so how long until blackberries replace Nokia as the new yospos hipster phone? 2 years from now? 3?

wrong, it is and always will be the Pre

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

don't forget the veer!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

mishaq posted:

I made 3 of my friends switch to BlackBerry Passport and they love it to death.
me too

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

don't forget the kin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted: