Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Trip report: Metallica owns. gently caress the haters.

Metallica has probably some of the most memorable songs ever. I don't enjoy them live that much but they still have those songs where everyone can sing them and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

Vargatron posted:

Gentlemen I seek power metal with blackened/death metal backing vocals over ear piercing lead vocals.

3 Inches of Blood?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was kind of thinking of something in the vein of Unleash the Archers, but I realize I'm asking for a pretty specific thing.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Gentlemen I seek power metal with blackened/death metal backing vocals over ear piercing lead vocals.

Satan's Host?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've never been all that into Insomnium but this new album is so good. The riffs. The god drat riffs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Insomnium's new album is great kinda reminds of Ghost Bath but with better vocals.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Guys I went to the cinema earlier to see a movie which I heard was good and I was curious to see. However, there was a really bad trailer beforehand about some kind of romantic comedy and I went home rather than having to suffer through that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ulio posted:

Insomnium's new album is great kinda reminds of Ghost Bath but with better vocals.

Whoa now I'm sold.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Cool-rear end king diamond retro shirt, shipping to europe $15 and it wouldn't even arrive for halloween just kill me now

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ulio posted:

I haven't really cared about Insomnium since Above The Weeping World, but yeah this is pretty good.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds kind of like King Diamond in a way, I'll check more of their stuff out.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

a fleshy snood posted:

I haven't really cared about Insomnium since Above The Weeping World, but yeah this is pretty good.

Their albums since AtWW have been pretty solid but not spectatular, but I'd say this is closer to that pinnacle of quality than any of their other albums since. Winter's Gate is pretty loving fantastic, imo.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I thought there was a music fest thread somewhere but can't find it :shrug:

Won a pair of tix for JJO Sonicboom this saturday 10/1 in Janesville Wis. With it being so close though I'm having trouble finding someone to take, or even someone that wants both. It's an all-day(gates at 11, first band at 12) outdoor fest, face value on the tickets is $75 in advance, $100 day-of.

Anyone nearby wanna go? If you just want the pair, I'd consider $100 for both, for a single I'd go with $50 to cover parking and some beers. I live about half hour south of Janesville so for delivery i'd be willing to meet that morning at a bar nearby or something. [insert standard I-will-not-skin-you--and-molest-your-corpse-in-the-parking-lot-of-Dennys disclaimer]

Bands are... not sure of the order, so this is how they're listed. I would assume they are in reverse order based on relative popularity, but who knows
Disturbed, Korn, Chevelle, Ghost, Alterbridge, Sevendust, Pop Evil, Trivium, Parkway Drive, Skindred, Adelitas Way, Nonpoint, Crobot

Sunday bands are Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Pierce the Veil, 3 doors down, hellyeah, motionless in white, avatar, amity affliction, dope, young guns, wayland, twelve foot ninja, I prevail irrelevant as Idon't have Sunday tickets

fake edit:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I thought there was a music fest thread somewhere but can't find it :shrug:

Won a pair of tix for JJO Sonicboom this saturday 10/1 in Janesville Wis. With it being so close though I'm having trouble finding someone to take, or even someone that wants both. It's an all-day(gates at 11, first band at 12) outdoor fest, face value on the tickets is $75 in advance, $100 day-of.

Anyone nearby wanna go? If you just want the pair, I'd consider $100 for both, for a single I'd go with $50 to cover parking and some beers. I live about half hour south of Janesville so for delivery i'd be willing to meet that morning at a bar nearby or something. [insert standard I-will-not-skin-you--and-molest-your-corpse-in-the-parking-lot-of-Dennys disclaimer]

Bands are... not sure of the order, so this is how they're listed. I would assume they are in reverse order based on relative popularity, but who knows
Disturbed, Korn, Chevelle, Ghost, Alterbridge, Sevendust, Pop Evil, Trivium, Parkway Drive, Skindred, Adelitas Way, Nonpoint, Crobot

Sunday bands are Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Pierce the Veil, 3 doors down, hellyeah, motionless in white, avatar, amity affliction, dope, young guns, wayland, twelve foot ninja, I prevail irrelevant as Idon't have Sunday tickets

fake edit:

I'm just gonna speak for the thread here and say no.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you want to try the metalcore thread for that and even then that's iffy

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

lmao the new Opeth is so bad.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm just gonna speak for the thread here and say no.

ahahaha yeah I kinda had the vision of that reaction but worth a shot. It's def more of a nu- or -core lineup like mentioned

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is why we really need a general rock thread for all our non-metal, punk or indie needs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

ahahaha yeah I kinda had the vision of that reaction but worth a shot. It's def more of a nu- or -core lineup like mentioned

the people watching ought to be good at least

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hulk Krogan posted:

lmao the new Opeth is so bad.

It pains me to accept this, but yeah it is pretty poo poo. I vaguely enjoyed that one Jethro Tull kind of song at least.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

lol

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
After hearing the new Eternal Champion album this week, I've determined that all metal albums over the last 30 years have pretty much been doing it wrong. Praise Crom and death to all false metal!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope that's just a really low bit rate upload because goddamn that track hurts my ears. It's as if they shaped the equalizer like a bell.

I like the song though.

edit - had to go listen to something else to make sure my own PC wasn't loving something up, and nope, it's the upload.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 29, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

a fleshy snood posted:

It pains me to accept this, but yeah it is pretty poo poo. I vaguely enjoyed that one Jethro Tull kind of song at least.

The funniest part is that all the heavier parts are basically stock Opeth riffs but played at lower gain and with a bunch of dorky synth and organ bullshit on top, so it's like the album is constantly reminding you how good Opeth used to be.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

This is why we really need a general rock thread for all our non-metal, punk or indie needs.

I would like this but it would just be a bunch of people making GBS threads all over it so it's probably best there isn't one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wandler20 posted:

I would like this but it would just be a bunch of people making GBS threads all over it so it's probably best there isn't one.

Doesn't sound too different from this thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

There are lots of rock bands that are above Korn quality

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

High school me would've loved this. High school me wasn't great.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

There are lots of rock bands that are above Korn quality

I don't think anyone is arguing this.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
So far the new Oozing Wound tracks off their new album have been loving awesome

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Another good release lately is the debut album from Sumerlands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYvjaVO4ws8

It is yet another band with Phil Swanson on vocals, but his vocal style really fits the sound of this band.

battlepigeon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That Eternal Champion track was good. Production was pretty bad though, but I liked the song.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

After hearing the new Eternal Champion album this week, I've determined that all metal albums over the last 30 years have pretty much been doing it wrong. Praise Crom and death to all false metal!

This is pretty cool.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Praise Crom and death to all false metal!

indeed hail crom, at least the intentionally funny one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPbbIc12Yc4

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

wandler20 posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy Korn is the crown jewel of metal. The fuckin zenith of rock and roll. Gods among hordes of lesser acts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I'm just saying people wouldn't poo poo all over a general rock thread

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Saw this bad boy on bandcamp today, clicked on it because of the cover, then saw that review namedropping Manilla Road, Isen Torr and Cirith Ungol and immediately bought it without even listening to it lol. I think for a 34 minute album there's a minute or two too much filler but what's there is really good

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

a fleshy snood posted:

Just like In Flames, Opeth died in the early 2000's, and just like In Flames, one man continues to ride the good name of the band into the ground.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
Eternal Champion has a couple of the guys from the now dead Graven Rite, so if you enjoy this album you also check them out too. I'm very sad that Graven Rite never put out a full album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Defiant Sally posted:

Just like In Flames, Opeth died in the early 2000's, and just like In Flames, one man continues to ride the good name of the band into the ground.

I haven't listened to Opeth in a while but the new In Flames is atrocious even the video is awful and cringeworthy. Sucks because In Flames first album and EP are some of my favorite pieces of music.