Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Toshimo posted:

lol nope

"While Treasure Chests are untradeable, the cards inside can be traded."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

sarmhan posted:

Are people that bad at reading?

Yes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

"While Treasure Chests are untradeable, the cards inside can be traded."

the cards can't be premium, when you say shiny goyf he interpreted that to mean foil, ya putz

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
putz is such a good word, idk what it means but i like saying it

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Who cares about the treasure chests, drafts are now 12 tickets and they even added a pack to the "pack per win" swiss leagues (3-0 now gets you 4 packs). I'm kind of baffled, did WotC actually make a decision that's all upside for its MtGO consumers?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-online-kaladesh-event-changes-2016-09-29

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Unhinged 3 Card idea: Chandra, Putz of Defiance

all abilities are non-red

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ShadeofBlue posted:

Who cares about the treasure chests, drafts are now 12 tickets and they even added a pack to the "pack per win" swiss leagues (3-0 now gets you 4 packs). I'm kind of baffled, did WotC actually make a decision that's all upside for its MtGO consumers?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-online-kaladesh-event-changes-2016-09-29

As I said this is just them recognizing that you can buy packs from bots to enter with and pay pretty much exactly that anyway.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mandatory lesbian posted:

It means penis (from Yiddish, diminutive). Languages are fun.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

the cards can't be premium, when you say shiny goyf he interpreted that to mean foil, ya putz

I still don't see where it's saying that the curated/premium cards from chests aren't tradeable.

Unless I'm missing the argument entirely and it's just about foils/non foils in them. All I care about is that 3-2ing a league will feel a little better.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 29, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sarmhan posted:

Are people that bad at reading?

We're reminded of this every time spoiler season rolls along.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

I still don't see where it's saying that the curated/premium cards from chests aren't tradeable.

he wasn't saying it was untradeable, did you not read the thing he himself quoted

quote:

Curated cards are non-premium, including both Zendikar Expeditions and Kaladesh Inventions, with the same exception for rares from Eighth Edition and Ninth Edition, which will remain premium.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Unless I'm missing the argument entirely and it's just about foils/non foils in them. All I care about is that 3-2ing a league will feel a little better.

yes, that is correct

BaronVonVaderham posted:

oh lol, my chandra card just got racy 0_0

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sarmhan posted:

The real change here is the move from extra play points+ a small number of packs to these chests. Without knowing the full math I can't say whether it's better or worse for people.

Also foils are hideous on MTGO. Seriously.

It's worse, easily. It's basically untradeable packs, but you only get a rare in 1/4.5 chests and even then you have a 1/9021378509238590 chance of getting anything good because the vast majority of Modern-legal rares are bulk.

Giving you actual packs lets you enter limited events or convert them into tickets.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
As a non mtgo player I'm confused--what are people losing now that they're getting treasure chests? Are the entry fees to events going up? This seems like a announcement that every prize pool in constructed is getting bigger.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

It's worse, easily. It's basically untradeable packs, but you only get a rare in 1/4.5 chests and even then you have a 1/9021378509238590 chance of getting anything good because the vast majority of Modern-legal rares are bulk.

Giving you actual packs lets you enter limited events or convert them into tickets.

Yeah, once I saw the pack payout changes to 4-1 and 5-0ing a league, I got really sad. This is probably bad.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at people who play mtgo acting like they have any sort of standards

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

You clearly didn't read it either. Every one gets the rare (or something better). One in 5 gets a second one.

This is absolutely what people wanted, for modern at least. Every modern rare ever will trend towards free, and the power uncommons like path or might of old krosa will be on the curated list and will as well. They're slowly eliminating the online secondary market and i love it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You clearly didn't read it either. Every one gets the rare (or something better). One in 5 gets a second one.
Unless I'm misreading some chests will just contain points, right?

quote:

All Treasure Chests will contain one of the following: a curated card, a Modern-set rare or mythic rare, or a number of Play Points.

Most Treasure Chests will additionally contain two Standard-set commons or uncommons, but they may be replaced as follows...

little munchkin posted:

lol at people who play mtgo acting like they have any sort of standards
Not only standards, but moderns and vint...

okay, I'll stop.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Cool, maybe a playset of liliana won't be $400 in a few months.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is absolutely what people wanted, for modern at least. Every modern rare ever will trend towards free, and the power uncommons like path or might of old krosa will be on the curated list and will as well. They're slowly eliminating the online secondary market and i love it.

How will there be no secondary market when the concept of turning useless cards into SOMETHING (ala dust like HS) doesn't exist on modo, and I can't really imagine a way it could. I'm not sure how they make this transition happen.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean effectively gone. As in, the cards will be easily available and cheap as poo poo since there is constant incidental new supply. In fact, if I had a collection on modo I'd be selling it now and if I had bots I'd reduce my buy prices by a lot until we see how fast these things flood the market.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean effectively gone. As in, the cards will be easily available and cheap as poo poo since there is constant incidental new supply. In fact, if I had a collection on modo I'd be selling it now and if I had bots I'd reduce my buy prices by a lot until we see how fast these things flood the market.

Crashing secondary markets on modo would be a great thing.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
So the curated list is 634 cards long at the moment, and they're going to put CN2 and C16 cards in it (the only way to get them online, naturally). Additionally, the cards on the curated list appear at unequal rates. We don't know the probabilities, but given that it's WotC, we can assume Rishadan Port and Force of Will are significantly more rare than Atog and Diabolic Edict.

I'm not sure this is really going to have much of an effect at all, if your chances of getting, say, Damnation are already only (1/3) * (1/634) = 1/1902 out of a given chest. And that's assuming that there's a 1/3 chance of getting one of the curated list, and an equal probability of cards on the list. There is a (very small) chance of getting a good/valuable rare or mythic from the modern slot; Gatherer says there's 3276 cards in Modern that are of that rarity. Granted, Gatherer is pulling some weird reprints with rarity shifts that skew the list a bit, but not that many.

Basically, the EV of these things is low.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yiddish is great because it's everything you'd expect a language spoken by Borscht Belt octogenarians to be. My great-grandmother was especially fond of telling people to gai kakhen afenyam ("go poo poo in the ocean").

On-topic: It's incredibly as expected of MODO that they were able to put this whole treasure chest thing nobody was asking for together, but 8-4 draft leagues are delayed indefinitely until they can figure out how to make the league code let them.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Minority Deport posted:

Basically, the EV of these things is low.
And also much more relevant, right? Since you can't just "sell" them off to even it out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Yiddish is great because it's everything you'd expect a language spoken by Borscht Belt octogenarians to be. My great-grandmother was especially fond of telling people to gai kakhen afenyam ("go poo poo in the ocean")

Yiddish is great because it is basically drunk German.

On Topic: I don't play on MODO, but I probably should since my options for drafting these days is asymptomatically approaching zero.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You are right, I erred on that. However, your entire argument appears to assume that the incidence of the random rares/curated cards is equivalent to the rate of getting Play Points. There's also the fact that the curated list is full of cards that see Modern and Legacy play but aren't worth anything. Someone will figure out the EV of the chests, but I highly doubt its going to be high enough to crash the economy.

Also, why is every Sword except Body and Mind on the curated list?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 29, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Because SoBaM is utter trash in everything that isn't a limited format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Because SoBaM is utter trash in everything that isn't a limited format.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone play Sword of War and Peace, either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

War and Peace saw play in GR aggro in Scars/Innistrad standard

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

SoWaP was good in standard delver mirrors because it had protection from geist.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
W&P is good, just not as good as F&I or F&F and L&S works better as a pro-white sword due to the raise dead effect.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Welcome to the thread m:tcg experience

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mystic Mongol posted:

As a non mtgo player I'm confused--what are people losing now that they're getting treasure chests? Are the entry fees to events going up? This seems like a announcement that every prize pool in constructed is getting bigger.

So, currently, playing a Pauper League (5 matches, prizes based on number of wins) costs 80 Play Points (PP) or 8 Tickets (Tix) to enter. The prize payouts are:

5-0: 150 PP, 1 Eldritch Moon pack (~3.5 Tix), 1 Shadows over Innistrad pack (~2.5 Tix)
4-1: 120 PP, 1 Eldritch Moon pack (~3.5 Tix)
3-2: 80 PP
2-3: 40 PP
1-4: 20 PP
0-5: 10 PP

So, go undefeated, get about two and a half entry fees back, including something you can trade for other cards. Go 4-1, get two entry fees back, including a quarter of that in tradable stuff. Go 3-2, you played 5 matches for free.

Under the new system, if you go 3-2 you're getting one of these chests on top of what you would have gotten. If you go 4-1, you're trading 40 PP and a pack of the newest set for 3 chests. If you go 5-0, you're trading 70 PP and two packs for 8 chests. There is no possible way for this to be good for good players. If you play a lot, eventually you'll lose, and since going 5-0 or 4-1 doesn't build up your play points, you will eventually have to use tickets to enter events. If 8 chests are the equivalent of two packs and 70 PP, that means the EV in them is incredibly high, and if that's the case, most of the cards in them will go down in value until they're not worth anything. Sure, you might open eight chests and get a Tarmogoyf and a Rishadan Port, or you might open eighty chests and get ~400 play points and some bulk, and since the chests aren't tradable for some godforsaken reason, you don't get to even out the variance of that.

Of course if this is a move towards getting rid of packs altogether, bring it the gently caress on Wizards. As it stands, it's awful, but if WotC actually invest in and help develop their game maybe --- okay you know what, this is just going to be a loving terrible thing, the friendly leagues are going to die and we'll all keep wondering exactly where it all went wrong.

Note, competitive leagues seem acceptable - 120 PP to enter, 3-0 gets 120 PP and a chest, 4-1 gets 180 PP, 3 boosters, 3 chests, and 5-0 gets 180 PP, 6 boosters, 8 chests. Note that 5-0 gets 12 boosters now, 4-1 6 boosters, so that's a pretty steep conversion rate.

Friendly 5-0: 8 chests = 70 PP, 2 Packs
Friendly 4-1: 3 chests = 40 PP, 1 Pack
Comp. 5-0: 8 chests = 6 Packs
Comp. 4-1: 3 chests = 3 Packs

if someone wants to do algebra and try to solve for X, taking into account the entry fee differences and an expected # of each record for a given number of players, we'll see how much WotC seems to value the chests, and I just don't see any way for the chests to have an EV higher than a ticket and a bit unless they reward large numbers of PP frequently.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

unless chests are worth a little over a ticket each, i can't see this being good for anyone except 3-2 players.

E:fb

I don't really like the changes, and I'm really sad that I JUST dropped 60 tickets on a pauper deck.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 29, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Apparently chests sometimes contain play points, so it's not like you're never building up a war chest.

It's difficult to gauge the value of a chest without knowing the exact odds (which is probably the point), but I think in the long term the EV is going to even out not too far from where it is now. The biggest issue is that instead of getting guaranteed returns from constructed events, even after getting a winning record you just get a lottery ticket to find out what you actually earned. That variance isn't great for serious players, unless you're playing so much that you open enough boxes for it to even out.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What word in Yiddish that ended up in English doesn't mean penis?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that bozo is underused.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hellsau posted:

So, currently, playing a Pauper League (5 matches, prizes based on number of wins) costs 80 Play Points (PP) or 8 Tickets (Tix) to enter. The prize payouts are:

:words:

Thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah this actually cuts prize payouts for a lot of leagues.

• Locked thread