Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
do gravure mags really have captions like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I, um, wouldn't know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Souma is 100% correct that spicedude is going about this the wrong way. He could have just owned some fools in a shokugeki and be on his way, without needing to join Central and fight his friends.

(Also I love that while Kuga does a :stare: face at Gin's flexing Souma is just like "oh hi, Doujima senpai!" :allears:)

Azami most likely owns the rights to their research at this point so that does put Hayama over a bit of a barrel. Besides, if enough people can get a seat that gives him one more vote for ejecting Azami when the time comes.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
They clearly don't understand the appeal of Megumi if they don't have her in a one piece.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

This was worth it for the ending. Simply too good. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Based on what Tsukuda was mailed by a fan for Takumi and Isami's birthday, I'm looking forward to the tweet proudly showing off a decapitated turtle on the 14th of October

E: I'm surprised that Erina's among the oldest first years, and especially that she's older than Hisako.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 22, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I actually hope they expel a couple of the lesser PSDs out, the cast is getting pretty big at this point.

Get rid of Marui, the one niche he has (food knowledge) got completely taken over by Erina, who actually had the sense to share what she knew to everybody instead of just shaking in her boots at the impending threat of expulsion.

Even the buttbros bring more to the table.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love the cast but yeah, a couple of them should be faded out soon. Don't know if that necessarily means expulsion, but they don't need to be around so much. Even if the Polar Star guys have for the most part never been very important. Even character's like Ikumi don't add much anymore, especially since the top 8 of the 1st years (+Erina) have pretty clearly been shown to be the most important characters to the story.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Maybe food hitler will be attacked by a bear and have to leave the story.

That would be epic if this manga had a Prison School crossover.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I actually hope they expel a couple of the lesser PSDs out, the cast is getting pretty big at this point.

Get rid of Marui, the one niche he has (food knowledge) got completely taken over by Erina, who actually had the sense to share what she knew to everybody instead of just shaking in her boots at the impending threat of expulsion.

Even the buttbros bring more to the table.

I recently started rereading this manga and if I hadn't done that I would have no God drat clue who Marui is. He's the skinny guy with glasses in the polar star dorm who passes out a lot and everyone parties in his room and makes him clean it up, for anyone else who wants to know.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I love the cast but yeah, a couple of them should be faded out soon. Don't know if that necessarily means expulsion, but they don't need to be around so much. Even if the Polar Star guys have for the most part never been very important. Even character's like Ikumi don't add much anymore, especially since the top 8 of the 1st years (+Erina) have pretty clearly been shown to be the most important characters to the story.

Ikumi still does stuff however at least.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You can always call Marui, Shinpachi except with somehow even less story importance

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
End of the anime today, it was pretty good, the Street Fighter references from Mizuhara were fun, and they actually did show Hisako taking the manga to Erina which was nice. They did mix up the ending a little compared to what was generally expected, actually showing some of the Shokugeki against skewers.

All in all a fun season and I'll miss it, season 3 never

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Since 3rd seasons of things are all but unheard of, where do I start reading the manga? I've heard that there's a fair amount of missed material, so should I start from chapter 1?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Since 3rd seasons of things are all but unheard of, where do I start reading the manga? I've heard that there's a fair amount of missed material, so should I start from chapter 1?

Chapter 60 should be a good place to start. The first season didn't skip much and actually added some stuff in.

If you wanted to go from the end of season 2 chapter 116 would probably be your best bet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just realized what I want most out of this series is a spin-off where Soma interns in different restaurants with different students every month.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i want it to be revealed that soma and his dad are actually space aliens and the king of all aliens comes down and tells soma that he has to compete in cooking contests against giant space slugs and stuff that are also chefs. or else the earth will be destroyed

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Law Cheetah posted:

i want it to be revealed that soma and his dad are actually space aliens and the king of all aliens comes down and tells soma that he has to compete in cooking contests against giant space slugs and stuff that are also chefs. or else the earth will be destroyed

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Law Cheetah posted:

Toriko is coming to a close, you still have time!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New Chapter featuring someone's dad:

http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/185/3709/1

Alice's dad, to be precise. And like every true-blooded Nakiri, he's a dorky weirdo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 29, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
f..f...f...fried meat? my head just exploded from how amazingly improbable that is! what sort of fearsome wunderkind would ever consider frying meat?

i love this poo poo so much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm just hoping we get a valid explanation for however the gently caress the entire Rebel Team is going to pass. when they're required to legitimately defeat the Elite 10 in Shokugeki.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That final page got me more excited than Soma's match actually.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At least Alice has a good dad.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just hoping we get a valid explanation for however the gently caress the entire Rebel Team is going to pass. when they're required to legitimately defeat the Elite 10 in Shokugeki.

All of the main cast is actually probably good enough to be a member of the Elite 10, though largely lower ranked members. Other than Hayama, the rest of the group probably aren't going to actually go all out on the Rebels, allowing for wins like Soma had when he saved Polar Star. Aldini and Megumi are both probably good enough to win if the ingredients fall their way despite who they're up against.

I could see some of the Polar Star roommates failing, but I'm also assuming that by the end of the arc everyone but Soma will have been expelled and his win gets everyone expelled by Central reinstated.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Serious Frolicking posted:

f..f...f...fried meat? my head just exploded from how amazingly improbable that is! what sort of fearsome wunderkind would ever consider frying meat?

i love this poo poo so much.

Fried bear, fine. But chicken-fried bear... eh, that's actually kind of novel. Even with a chicken-fried steak, you'd be pounding it tender, but neither Hayama or Souma seem to have done this.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mmmm, delicious Fried Bear. Sounds pretty simple but i've never even heard of it, so i'll accept it as the secret weapon.

Also, :rip: Takumi and Megumi. Though to beat Rindou all they'll probably have to do is impress her enough for her to think they're interesting. Then she'd probably just throw the match to keep them around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Colonel would be proud of this development. All we have to do now is see what Hayama and Souma's secret herbs and spices.

As for the match by Souma's besties, who knows what madness shall happen there.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm really excited to see Rindou actually cook, so far she's been a 100% wild card on that front.

Please please don't resolve that match off screen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Watch as I use a secret blend of HERBS - and - SPICES!

:eyepop:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mmmm, delicious Fried Bear. Sounds pretty simple but i've never even heard of it, so i'll accept it as the secret weapon.

Also, :rip: Takumi and Megumi. Though to beat Rindou all they'll probably have to do is impress her enough for her to think they're interesting. Then she'd probably just throw the match to keep them around.

Rindou's enough of a wildcard to half-rear end her dish, but considering the huge amount of poo poo she and the others gave Eizan and Kuga for "losing", an E10 seat seems to carry enough weight with it that losses are a huge stain on you, no matter what the conditions are.

I expect we are going to see a couple of people (temporarily) expelled out of this but this poo poo is getting reversed hard at the end of the arc, and if someone does get expelled it almost guarantees Azami isn't the headmaster at the end of it. Takumi and Megumi look pretty dead here, this match seems like it'll be the big determining factor for whether or not they're destined to be nothing more than jobbers for the rest of the series. They could conceivably pull something off, or Rindou could slack off just enough from favoritism, but I'm betting against it. It'll make that next train ride pretty interesting if they're out, though.

The one who really looks to be gone here is Alice :rip: that was a pretty big flag she tripped in that phone call. She and Kurokiba are the best bets for passing next to Souma, so whoever she'll get matched with would have to be pretty good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is some suspense in the other matches, but souma is absolutely guaranteed to win

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rindou's enough of a wildcard to half-rear end her dish, but considering the huge amount of poo poo she and the others gave Eizan and Kuga for "losing", an E10 seat seems to carry enough weight with it that losses are a huge stain on you, no matter what the conditions are.

I suppose but I honestly doubt Rindou would give a poo poo. Seemingly the only reason she's working with Central is because she thought it would be interesting, and by that same logic if she finds some opponents interesting I wouldn't be too surprised if she just gives up to make sure they're still part of the game.

I imagine it's not that easy to convince her to throw a match though. She still seems like a competitive sort. They're gonna need to be at the top of their game.

Edit:

there is some suspense in the other matches, but souma is absolutely guaranteed to win

You don't lose to the rival 3 times in a row, especially right after he's thrown away his ideals and joined the bad guys. Hayama's about due for a loss.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sure, but it'll be entertaining like always.

E: Also yeah him pounding some humility into Curry is a million years overdue

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

My prediction: Some people will get eliminated, but likely Souma + someone will team up shokugeki with reinstatement on the line for those who lost. That seems like a most reasonable course of action. There could be something unexpected in the next arc that maybe means being expelled leads to a different outcome / conflict. I think everyone winning is the least likely outcome but one I would probably mark out for like an idiot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
souma loses just often enough for him to stay as the underdog. if he gets expelled at all it won't happen in the middle of what is essentially a tournament arc.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Can you even issue a shokugeki challenge if you're kicked out of the school? Isn't it students and alumni only?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Can you even issue a shokugeki challenge if you're kicked out of the school? Isn't it students and alumni only?

Megumi did to Shinomiya basically. Like, Soma made the challenge but she was in charge.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The impression I got from the various side materials is that Rindou is the best cook in the school (better than Tsukasa), she just has almost no actual drive to do anything but have fun.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Alice's Dad looks like a Castlevania. It's the eyebrows, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't imagine it being any good since bear meat is generally not considered very tasty. That plus if you wanna make chicken fried steak you gotta pound the poo poo out of steak in the first place and it's not like carnivores like bear are known for being remotely tender either. I guess you could get away with frying very thin strips of bear but ehhh