Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's not really that bad, maybe four frames. Now that is enough of a lag that you probably don't want to show off a bullet hell shooter, but for recording most things for the Internet it's not going to kill you.

Like I said, it's been a while. Glad to hear things have gotten better than my ATI All-In-Wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

It's not really that bad, maybe four frames. Now that is enough of a lag that you probably don't want to show off a bullet hell shooter, but for recording most things for the Internet it's not going to kill you.

Note, though:

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm not interested in really recording video or anything, but I am interested in playing the PS2 on my PC in a window, as if it were any other program, and I'm under the impression that capture cards are the way to do that.

So depending on the game, lag may be an issue...

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Yeah, pretty much. I don't care about recording; I just want to be able to use my PC while I play PS2, without sacrificing one of my three monitors to the console or having a huge, old TV in my bedroom. Huge first world problem, I recognize.

Unless there's an option I missed (or this is a really bad idea for a reason I don't understand), at this point I think I'm just going to wait for payday, grab one one of the cheapo $80 monitors on Amazon and then this dongle and just have a dedicated monitor for my PS2.

Edit: Oops that upscaler won't work, I'd be piping HDMI audio to a monitor with no speakers and would have no audio. Fixed link to something that (I think) would work.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 29, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yeah, pretty much. I don't care about recording; I just want to be able to use my PC while I play PS2, without sacrificing one of my three monitors to the console or having a huge, old TV in my bedroom. Huge first world problem, I recognize.

Unless there's an option I missed (or this is a really bad idea for a reason I don't understand), at this point I think I'm just going to wait for payday, grab one one of the cheapo $80 monitors on Amazon and then this dongle and just have a dedicated monitor for my PS2.

Edit: Oops that upscaler won't work, I'd be piping HDMI audio to a monitor with no speakers and would have no audio. Fixed link to something that (I think) would work.

You'd have a better time picking up a used LCD TV with a component input, rather than wasting money on an upscaler for a PS2. You can get them from like a Goodwill for $60 or something these days for a decent 24 inch model, which is plenty big enough to use in a bedroom and will handle PS2 and PS1 games from a PS2 real well.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've checked thrift stores in my city for games before, no dice on TVs either. There are two Goodwills near me that don't have a single television in them, and the Salvation Army had three CRT tvs, and were asking $50, with no testing them before I buy, as-is no refunds. And then I'm stuck with a TV that I'll likely never use for anything else; at least with a PC monitor, I can use it for, well, anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I've checked thrift stores in my city for games before, no dice on TVs either. There are two Goodwills near me that don't have a single television in them, and the Salvation Army had three CRT tvs, and were asking $50, with no testing them before I buy, as-is no refunds. And then I'm stuck with a TV that I'll likely never use for anything else; at least with a PC monitor, I can use it for, well, anything.

You can order one off ebay then. LCD TVs work great without any scaler for the whole PS2 generation of consoles, especially the Xbox and PS2 due to their component outputs and having a selection of games that do 720p or better natively, as well as many of the games doing widescreen output even if only at 480p. Also, most of them you'll find have HDMI and possibly even DVI or VGA so they can be used as monitors anyway.

Buying just a plain monitor and a scaler to run a PS2 is going to be a real waste of time and money, and is likely to just add in extra lag.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I guess that's a good point. This guy is on Amazon with Prime, and has HDMI/Composite/Component, for about the same price as me buying a monitor/scaler.

I'll probably just go with that. Thanks!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Got my SNES power cord in early today instead of Saturday. gently caress yeah! Plugged it into a new to me TV that I got from a cousin randomly, and nothing but a black screen :( my heart dropped.

So my square soft games FF3 and Secret of Mana worked fine, but for some reason MMX, Zelda LttP, and Super Mario World didn't work for me. I ended up hitting them in a little more securely and now they work without issue. It made me concerned for the pins though. I have heard about replacement pin sockets for NES, I assume there are ones for SNES?

I assume that my 12 year old self was rather rough with plugging games in, then doing a hard "tap" on the top to socket it in. I always loved the eject lever though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Got my SNES power cord in early today instead of Saturday. gently caress yeah! Plugged it into a new to me TV that I got from a cousin randomly, and nothing but a black screen :( my heart dropped.

So my square soft games FF3 and Secret of Mana worked fine, but for some reason MMX, Zelda LttP, and Super Mario World didn't work for me. I ended up hitting them in a little more securely and now they work without issue. It made me concerned for the pins though. I have heard about replacement pin sockets for NES, I assume there are ones for SNES?

I assume that my 12 year old self was rather rough with plugging games in, then doing a hard "tap" on the top to socket it in. I always loved the eject lever though.

It's possible for the problem to be the internal pins, but it's way more likely to be the pins on the cart itself.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yeah its just gunk on the cartridge contacts; switching them out that much scraped enough dirt off for them to work. I'd recommend cleaning all your carts with alcohol and q-tips.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah its just gunk on the cartridge contacts; switching them out that much scraped enough dirt off for them to work. I'd recommend cleaning all your carts with alcohol and q-tips.

Good to know. They have been in storage in my basement in New England for years, so it's not that surprising.

Is there a good place to order the plastic SNES sheathes that came with most of the games originally? I have them for all my games but 1, and I was hoping to grab a flash cart soon, so I pull be down 2. I assume eBay, but was hoping there were alternatives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The reason why blowing on cartridges "worked" is because often just seating and unseating the cartridge a few times will clean it off enough to work, your pushing it in harder and re-seating it probably did that. So yeah, just clean the contacts.

There's a lot of aftermarket plastic SNES covers, I dunno just google around, or ebay. Should be pretty cheap. I also tend to get them mixed in with used games I buy here and there, which is nice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh boy, here's my stupid retrogaming anecdote. I just got my AVS, but I couldn't get it to run with games that have a save battery. In the manual it says you might need to source more power to the AVS. I mean the thing comes with a crappy Chinese two-prong to USB phone charger style adapter, so that's not going to cut it. My PC isn't in the same room as my TV, and I don't have any spare power brick adapters. So, finally, I plugged it into my spare playstation controller port. Works like a charm. I am now using my PS4 to upscale power to a NES emulator.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DalaranJ posted:

Oh boy, here's my stupid retrogaming anecdote. I just got my AVS, but I couldn't get it to run with games that have a save battery. In the manual it says you might need to source more power to the AVS. I mean the thing comes with a crappy Chinese two-prong to USB phone charger style adapter, so that's not going to cut it. My PC isn't in the same room as my TV, and I don't have any spare power brick adapters. So, finally, I plugged it into my spare playstation controller port. Works like a charm. I am now using my PS4 to upscale power to a NES emulator.

Ladies and gentlemen - The Aristocrats!

But that's kind of lame that they don't include a decently robust power option for it, especially in a new product. How is the system otherwise, though?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

But that's kind of lame that they don't include a decently robust power option for it, especially in a new product. How is the system otherwise, though?

I don't have a big selection of games yet. I've heard that it handles famicom games and most mappers easily, but I can't verify that yet.

The bad is:
The power cord is fine, but the USB comes plugged into the aforementioned useless adapter.
Doesn't come with any controllers (and, of course, it's 7 pin so if you're used to cheap boxes you have an additional purchase to make).
The flip up lid feels pretty fragile.
The menu can't be accessed while running a game.

The good is, everything else:
It has an online scoreboard, a built in database of game genie codes, and it can turn your normal controller buttons into turbo buttons.
It has a variety of video options.
The visual fidelity is excellent, and it accurately displays visual glitches that I had forgotten even existed.

The ugly is:
I don't know enough about the famicom to know what I'm supposed to plug into the expansion port. An FDS maybe?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

DalaranJ posted:

The ugly is:
I don't know enough about the famicom to know what I'm supposed to plug into the expansion port. An FDS maybe?

The Famicom had wired controllers, so any additional accessories you might have gotten for your Famicom plug into the expansion port (FDS included).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The FDS actually doesn't use the expansion port on the side, it works simply by putting the big black slab of a RAM adapter into the Famicom's cartridge slot and a wire from the adapter to the back of the Disk System.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I've started a new job and they have two cabinets in the break room - they're both multi-game cabs. One is the Namco Pac-Man Arcade Party, and the other is the Chicago Gaming Company Supercade.

So far I prefer the Namco cab, largely because it saves high scores. The Supercade has a large selection of games, some of them really great ones like Crystal Castles and Qix, but the cabinet doesn't save high scores.

I've been looking on Google, but unable to find an answer, so I'm wondering if any of you would happen to know if there's a way to access a user mode or whatever that would allow high scores to be saved on the Supercade - or, to turn off continues on the Namco cab, since they negate the idea of a high score anyways since between continues they save the high score in Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, Dragon Spirit, Rolling Thunder, and Bosconian. The other games do not have a continue feature, so they're more true to a score attack.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Can you measure the diagonal of the screen? I'm wondering if one of the displays here could be crammed inside to make it a semi-functional cabinet since there are some incredibly small ones.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
To go back to the gbc convo, I finally picked up Dragon Warrior 3. Only Nes era DQ I haven't played

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

pairofdimes posted:

Can you measure the diagonal of the screen? I'm wondering if one of the displays here could be crammed inside to make it a semi-functional cabinet since there are some incredibly small ones.

It says it's a 1/12 scale monitor card, so a 2.5"-ish 4:3 screen should fit, if you really want to do that for some reason.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 29, 2016

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Elliotw2 posted:

It says it's a 1/12 scale monitor card, so a 2.5"-ish 4:3 screen should fit, if you really want to do that for some reason.

It's not for anything practical, I just think it would be fun to do. Anyway thanks for the size, that shouldn't be a problem then.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
if I remember when I'm home in 8.5 hours I'll measure it anyway just to double check, haha. And it'd be totally silly, but I'd also be lying if I said I hadn't briefly considered it m'self.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Cram a screen/speaker into one and rig it to play your favorite arcade game's attract mode :getin:

Comedy option: World's tiniest MAME cab :v:

XYZ fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 29, 2016

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

XYZ posted:

needs more trackballs

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

XYZ posted:

Cram a screen/speaker into one and rig it to play your favorite arcade game's attract mode :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY7olqQF8iM

Think smaller yet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

XYZ posted:

I've never built a cab but now I really want to

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

needs more trackballs

How do you cram two eightway sticks, a dozen buttons, a trackball, a steering wheel, and a Tron stick onto that cabinet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Where would you even store the light gun?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo of Japan announces a Famicom counterpart to the NES Classic Mini: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/160930.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQ02nXQQiM

The software spread is different by 8 games and their version comes with two (tiny!) FC controllers hardwired to the console, so... eh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo of Japan announces a Famicom counterpart to the NES Classic Mini: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/160930.html

The software spread is different by 8 games and their version comes with two (tiny!) FC controllers hardwired to the console, so... eh.

For those who cannot read Japanese, the games are:

quote:

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Pac-Man
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
Galaga
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Super Mario Bros.
Legend of Zelda
Mystery of Atlantis
Gradius
Ghost 'n Goblins
Solomon's Key
Metroid
Castlevania
Zelda 2: Adventures of Link
Tsuppari Sumo
Super Mario Bros 3
Ninja Gaiden
Mega Man 2
River City Ransom
Double Dragon 2
Super C
Final Fantasy III
Dr. Mario
The Kunio Arena Brawler Which Never Came Out in the US
NES Open
Super Mario Bros 2 (US)
Kirby's Adventure

Those are some interesting choices. Good picks on the Kunio games if you wanted to select out two from the absurdly large number available. Final Fantasy III feels like it may be on there are some kind of punishment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Kunio game isn't the arena brawler, it's one of the athletics games (the first one, in fact).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That Kunio game isn't the arena brawler, it's one of the athletics games (the first one, in fact).

Still a good choice, but that would be Crash n' the Boys Street Challenge, then.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Those are some interesting choices. Good picks on the Kunio games if you wanted to select out two from the absurdly large number available. Final Fantasy III feels like it may be on there are some kind of punishment.

If they wanted to punish people they would have chosen II.

I can certainly understand Yie Ar Kung Fu, Solomon's Key, Tsuppari Sumo, but

Random Stranger posted:

Mystery of Atlantis

What!?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I understand some of the omissions but I wonder why Japan isn't getting Bubble Bobble, it's as popular over there as everywhere else.

I'm also surprised Nintendo wasn't able to swing Dragon Quest, that would have made them a killing.

Random Stranger posted:

Still a good choice, but that would be Crash n' the Boys Street Challenge, then.

Nah, it's the athletics game that precedes Street Challenge. There are too many Kunio games.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dang, I was hoping that the Japanese version would have removable full size Classic Controllers to import.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

XYZ posted:

One of the Adafruit guys actually did this. The screen is a little under an inch in size!

Granted, it's not very fun to actually play, but it's a cute little thing intended to inspire other DIY folks to make gadgets.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
those look more functional than half of the mame cabs ive seen

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

One of the Adafruit guys actually did this. The screen is a little under an inch in size!

Granted, it's not very fun to actually play, but it's a cute little thing intended to inspire other DIY folks to make gadgets.

Oh my goooooooood :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
If you can get a decent screen for the Aero City model then I might have a use for all these Pi Zeros I have been buying.

• Locked thread