Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I can't go back and watch it right now, sitting in a hospital room with a sleeping newborn. I read the thread but there weren't many details. Sorry I asked.

i was just being a goose, sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stotty posted:

Make a lovely passive-aggresive video full of vaguery then get mad at the people you slagged off addressing it.

They both said during that spat there was no chemistry between them and that Jimmy would leave at the end of the contract. Now all of a sudden he's surprised that Jim didn't want to still work 2 days a week with him. He seems to be upset that someone might sign a contract in advance to secure their future rather than doing some pointless posturing hours before deadline leading to no gain whatsoever.

Also how does he think his brand is worth anything near the last contract, let alone more. Lol that he got pushed out of his own branded show on his own branded channel, "management is happy with the direction of the show". Christ, even Fez managed to stay on the Ron & Fez show until he retired.

Eh, Fez 'retired' because Sirius wouldn't renew his contract. I think the only reason they kept him on and gave him a final show is because Ron is such a good worker for them. By the end Fez was trashing the company when he even bothered to speak.

And Opie is a very pathetic person. He wanted to give Jim two days a week so he could still maintain that the 'show' was going on regardless but then slowly make it into everything he wanted while Jim was left high and dry. Norton was right to want a clean break and Opie's bitching is simply because he wanted to use his crew and cast, once again, to get Sirius to keep his payrate the same by extorting the rest of them. Afternoon Drive across the board pays less anywhere, this isn't a Sirius-only thing. Opie wanted to use some careers to keep his pay the same while getting the gig he wanted and now can't and now feels betrayed because he couldn't gently caress over his crew one last time. He can eat poo poo.

CrashCat posted:

He did it, he finally stuck his head so far up his rear end that it broke the laws of physics and changed all logic forever

Let us talk about integrity: how about the show ended at the end of their contract as they had done for the whole of their careers up until this point? Kinda rich that someone who stuck by Ant in worse times suddenly had a change of heart and pussed out when Sirius waved more dollars in front of their face. Not that Ant wasn't an rear end in a top hat who got what he deserved, but Opie is the last person to call out anybody on integrity. He ditched his partner of decades over two years ago and turned his 'real' show into morning zoo lite. As loving if.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

This is absolutely maddening and depressing.

No, it's quite hilarious. Opie has burnt so many bridges at this point he's either going to take a pay cut or take it on the arches and end up back in Rochester doing radio and having to deal with Terry Clifford directly. Probably just retire and fade into obscurity, honestly. What kind of clout does being a radio shock jock hold twenty years after the expiration date?

BDawg posted:

If Jimmy signed two weeks ago, good for him. I hope he got a well-paying, stable deal.

I like the way he phrased it: mornings suck, but he's available for some acting work as well as his stand-up. He's working hard and taking the hit but at least he's willing to keep going. He's got the right spirit for this sort of gig and so does Sam, oddly enough. Even if everybody's favorite Disco Caveman is doing stupid poo poo like being a WWE interviewer and the like, at least it's some sort of ambition that Sirius really seems to favor (see Ron for that score). Old assholes like Opie who show up for four hours and then leave seem to have high expectations for just showing up.

jerkstoresup posted:

Listening to Jim & Sam reminds me of what made the old O&A fun to listen to. Just the ability to acknowledge a bad joke and laugh about it is so refreshing to hear.

I also like how Jim explained the whole concept of Uncle Paul as not being a real part of him, but the insanity of the concept intruding on what passes for normalcy of the show. I think that sort of insight into his character and rationale has been missing and that a lot of the fans have always known but not the comedic reasoning behind it which makes it even more brilliant. For all the poo poo that Jimmy gets, he really does know how comedy works sometimes, even if his sort doesn't translate well to most audiences.

Sadly, I've changed jobs in the past year so I can't listen at work like I used to, but now I kinda want to listen to Jim and Sam talk about Opie's meltdown. Might have to wait until tonight.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cavauro posted:

That tweet about Jim and Anthony isn't wrong at all oddly enough. It's just funny that Opie would act like he can talk about anyone's integrity. I don't know if anyone could ever match him
It's truly a feat, Opie manages to admit that he should have left the show instead of Anthony while disguising it as a slam that he couldn't draw an audience :psyduck:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

He ditched his partner of decades over two years ago and turned his 'real' show into morning zoo lite. As loving if.

Opie has burnt so many bridges at this point he's either going to take a pay cut or take it on the arches and end up back in Rochester doing radio and having to deal with Terry Clifford directly.
I think you may have stumbled into what he actually wants, he's old and a father and would probably love to just banter with the other hens in some morning zoo without having to put in any real effort. But he could never do that since a bunch of previous fans would eagerly harangue the poo poo out of him for it if they found out

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Eh, Fez 'retired' because Sirius wouldn't renew his contract.

Aye, I knew that but he had two reviews? In his final year and still was given time to turn it around, Opie didn't even make one contract renewal.

On top of that Fez hadnt really been contributing for what 4+ years (could be wrong since I didn't really listen at the time, just piecing together from YouTube clips) or longer (barring his hilarious fuckups that generated so much material for others), so I would assume he kept his job through at least one contract.

Talking of Ron and Fez it's pretty much all I've listened to really, I was impressed that generally the callers were much funnier than the dumbasses that called in to O&A and if they weren't they were just tossed aside quickly, without dwelling on poo poo calls. Apart from the comedian appearances on O&A I kinds think Ron and Fez was probably a consistently funnier show day to do, Dave and earl & even pepper are such tremendous messes. The fact that Dave couldn't get a better deal with sxm despite his contribution is ridiculous

Stotty fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 29, 2016

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

End of Life Guy posted:

Sam and Jim talk about Opie's Twitter meltdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1SfqDsrN7E

The last few minutes with that caller and Chip were fawkin' hilarious

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
O&A couldn't have ended any better. Ant's racism gets him fired and Opie's stupid contract posturing leads to SXM not re-signing him. Top it off with Jim (who doesn't care about being a "broadcaster" like Opie does) and Sam who has been willing to do anything in any time slot getting the morning spot on Opie's own channel, while Opie gets pushed out.

What Opie wants is a cushy, low pressure, afternoon slot, more money, and with a cast of free comedians just funny enough to carry the show but not funny enough to demand a paycheck, all so he can sit back and run the board not earning his paycheck.

Meanwhile Ron & Gail chug along doing better shows than both Opie and Anthony.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It will be hilarious if Opie doesn't retire and tries to do his own thing somewhere else and then wonders why the comedians don't come filing in there for him like they used to

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

JFC posted:

Meanwhile Ron & Gail chug along doing better shows than both Opie and Anthony.

Is that right? I was wondering what his numbers are these days.

E: oh, I think I misread that - better shows, not necessarily more listeners.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Maybe Ant can give him a job

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I want to to watch every episode of Improbable Joshers with Jim, Sam, Travis and Paul.

Lmao

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

shyduck posted:

Maybe Ant can give him a job

honestly if Opie did do a morning show on anthony cumia's network, no matter how awful it was, I think O&A fans would be supportive.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

SiriusXM should hire scorch to do middays on Opie's channel as the ultimate gently caress you.

I'm glad Sam seems to be doing fine out of all of this. He always seemed to be doing a ton of work for no payoff back in the O&A days.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
So uh something happened I guess? Opie is poo poo canned and now its the Jim & Sam experience?

Oh well I like Jim, and Sam has really grown on me. My wife actually really likes the Sam Roberts show, because he's fast paced and keeps poo poo moving. Opie is really unfunny and I think I am going to enjoy Jim and Sam shows a lot more. I hope Nagel stays I actually like his nerd show.

I want Anthony and Jim back

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
dassabesso jus chillin an fuggin

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bum the Sad posted:

So uh something happened I guess? Opie is poo poo canned and now its the Jim & Sam experience?

Oh well I like Jim, and Sam has really grown on me. My wife actually really likes the Sam Roberts show, because he's fast paced and keeps poo poo moving. Opie is really unfunny and I think I am going to enjoy Jim and Sam shows a lot more. I hope Nagel stays I actually like his nerd show.

I want Anthony and Jim back
More like Opie canned himself by being a pissy baby while negotiating without much advantage, but yeah you basically got it. Jim and Sam show should be good though and if they ever dragged Anthony out from his alcohol den for visits that would be cool, though they'd have to make it a rare thing so he doesn't drive everyone away with his horrible bigotry

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MKXLYGzA6w

Denny Falcone suggests some names for the new show. The way he sets up Uncle Paul is perfect.

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 29, 2016

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Let us pay tribute

https://youtu.be/JAEpFpKKBzE

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I was hoping this would just be a montage of all the times he tried to insert his making GBS threads on the beach story into things.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The channel is still called Opie Radio, it's apparently still his show in the timeslot and Sam is hosting it with Jim who is burying Opie at every opportunity.

This is loving glorious. Opie hosed up with his brinksmanship and bridge burning.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
So the other programs on the channel are all going down with the ship, it seems. Bonnie tweeted that they are no longer on SiriusXM as of this morning, and Dr Steve is doing an AMA sometime soon. We probably won't hear from erock until next week after Opie is officially out.

https://twitter.com/weirdmedicine/status/781572845780336640
https://twitter.com/bonniemcfarlane/status/781527130442076160

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

jerkstoresup posted:

So the other programs on the channel are all going down with the ship, it seems. Bonnie tweeted that they are no longer on SiriusXM as of this morning, and Dr Steve is doing an AMA sometime soon. We probably won't hear from erock until next week after Opie is officially out.

So Opie's attempt to make Sirius pay him for an afternoon shift has resulted in the complete destruction of his channel altogether. Nice going, Op! loving Ant didn't burn as many bridges so fast.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

jerkstoresup posted:

Race Wars is gone too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Can't wait for the new Horsecock and Jim Show on the new less compressed Raw Dog using all the old Opie bandwidth

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
For me this is the best possible outcome, there was alot of talk when Ant got fired about how the best thing would be Ant & Jimmy, but I prefer the Jim & Sam pairing over anything else now.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
So if all the OpieRadio shows are getting canned this is pretty much confirmation that Opie is out right? No reason to keep the channel around if the flagship show is dead and buried. And given that Jim signed a new contract and Sam is essentiall a Sirius salaryman it doesn't seem likely they'd build the channel around them.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

SnatchRabbit posted:

So if all the OpieRadio shows are getting canned this is pretty much confirmation that Opie is out right? No reason to keep the channel around if the flagship show is dead and buried. And given that Jim signed a new contract and Sam is essentiall a Sirius salaryman it doesn't seem likely they'd build the channel around them.

This is what I'm really curious about, I wonder if they just moved to an entirely different channel, if the channel gets re-branded, etc.

The super-delayed car crash sound effect Jimmy kept playing today was really making me laugh

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

SnatchRabbit posted:

Or it could be they're firebombing the place and could bring everyone back on new deals. E-Rock is basically a salaryman too and I doubt he gets paid extra to do his Friday night geek show so there is no reason that needs to go away. They could bring back Ron to the channel and re-negotiate with Vos/Bonnie and any of the other show they pay pretzels and cheese to. Hell, they said they don't know if Ant could ever come back it could be a slow thing they work out with management.

I don't think Opie's name carried the channel, there is more than enough content to keep it the way it is by just shifting things around. I do really hate that Sirius acts like they have no money for anything though.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Someone mentioned earlier that the quality of Raw Dog isn't as great for Bennington compared to what it used to be when Ron was on 202 or whatever. Am I remembering right or didn't O&A used to brag a lot that 202 was a higher bandwidth station in that normally the talk radio stations got the lovely encoding and bandwidth and only the music channels got the nice sound quality? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. But I really seem to recall them being proud of having good sounding audio for being a talk channel.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Disappointing Pie posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that the quality of Raw Dog isn't as great for Bennington compared to what it used to be when Ron was on 202 or whatever. Am I remembering right or didn't O&A used to brag a lot that 202 was a higher bandwidth station in that normally the talk radio stations got the lovely encoding and bandwidth and only the music channels got the nice sound quality? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. But I really seem to recall them being proud of having good sounding audio for being a talk channel.
I don't know if they bragged about it but O&A definitely got the higher bandwidth channel and held onto it for dear life. I'm about 50/50 odds on whether they give the bandwidth to Raw Dog instead or use it to put out some other poo poo channel since podcasts killed talk radio.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Sankis posted:

SiriusXM should hire scorch to do middays on Opie's channel as the ultimate gently caress you.

I'm glad Sam seems to be doing fine out of all of this. He always seemed to be doing a ton of work for no payoff back in the O&A days.

Even better: Sam (or a Midnight Rider-esque stand-in) should pull a PFG-TV on Opie. All of the stupid hacky pukey poo poo he's tried to do to be viral or cool or vague...I'm sure Jim, TravDog, maybe even E-Rock would love to trash on him from a pure 'personality' perspective.

How Much Art posted:

l, if the channel gets re-branded, etc.

Say hello to the new BOOK RADIO

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Morter posted:

Even better: Sam (or a Midnight Rider-esque stand-in) should pull a PFG-TV on Opie. All of the stupid hacky pukey poo poo he's tried to do to be viral or cool or vague...I'm sure Jim, TravDog, maybe even E-Rock would love to trash on him from a pure 'personality' perspective.

Say hello to the new BOOK RADIO

oh god, yes. Even better october is just a couple days away...

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I listen to Bennington via an Audible subscription and it sounds great. If you don't mind listening to the show a few hours after it ends, you can get a 12 month subscription for $34.95, or free if you don't already have Audible and choose it for your free trial item. They don't upload the Opie Radio morning Benningtons though, which sucks, but since they won't be doing them anymore it's not an issue.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Comedy/Bennington-12-Month-Subscription-Audiobook/B002VA9C9W/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1475182287&sr=1-1

If you didn't hear the end of yesterday's Bennington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITsLcU78y8Q&t=9520s

followed by this song instead of Tiny Dancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTeLePbB08

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?

80s James Hetfield posted:

Or it could be they're firebombing the place and could bring everyone back on new deals.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turned out this way, completely tearing down everything so they can restructure a new channel.

If there's one thing I learned, especially after the firing, is to never trust what the boys say about money and budget. The example that sticks out to me is that after ant got shitcanned, sxm was suddenly able to "afford" the studio renovation those two had been bitching about for months on end.

I mean I don't know anything about how sirius runs the show, but I got the impression that each channel has a given budget. Instead of leaving a decent amount of budget for staff and other shows, O&A were taking drat near all of it for themselves.

This may even be why Ronnie got booted out to raw dog.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

CrashCat posted:

I don't know if they bragged about it but O&A definitely got the higher bandwidth channel and held onto it for dear life. I'm about 50/50 odds on whether they give the bandwidth to Raw Dog instead or use it to put out some other poo poo channel since podcasts killed talk radio.

If I remember correctly they had the same high band width at XM and Sirius inherited that as part of their contract. It makes sense that O&A would want it keep that as a sticking point every time they renegotiated.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Sankis posted:

oh god, yes. Even better october is just a couple days away...

Listening to Jim's reaction of the twitter stuff, Opie deserves it. He literally pulled Scorch's 'Not telling you about last show until last minute' poo poo. That's pure insanity. How does he not see how much he's like Scorch?!

JFC posted:

:golfclap:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

JFC posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITsLcU78y8Q&t=9520s

Ronnie B, despite all of his hipster flaws, is a goddamn treasure. He must've seen this coming ten miles way, though he'd never say it out loud.

I'm not surprised to see things go down this way either. Opie was on thin ice after the first big on-air spat with Jimmy. Management pays attention to that stuff and no doubt they'd had their fill of his bullshit signing tactics anyway.

Sam and Jim actually work well together and I can see them running a successful show together for as long as circumstances allow it and they have the passion for it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

End of Life Guy posted:

Sam and Jim talk about Opie's Twitter meltdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1SfqDsrN7E

Shawn is a boob.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wasn't a bit part of the "greggshells" thing Ant did a year or so back that Opie had a tendency to gently caress over the show by pulling what he likely thought was some expert level negotiating tactics? It's funny that in the end it's what killed the show.

Also I saw that Jim recently retweeted this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Smugworth posted:

To be fair the seahorse video is pretty nice if you mute the giant man-baby's cries for attention
Audio might as well be one long *sniff*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGUg6xfV9Mw

Pontificating Ass fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 29, 2016

• Locked thread