Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

did you forget the part where zarbon said he was gonna rape vegeta cuz I almost threw my laptop out the window after that I tell ya hwat

Yeah I forgot but it was probably also bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to say that all rape jokes are bad, and that comparing one to another is a poor counterargument

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I finished Dragon Ball and I'm moving on to DBZ.

I'm not sure what dub this is - I remember when I saw this "new" on Cartoon Network years ago the first episode was called "The Arrival of Raditz", but here it's called "The New Threat". Is that Funimation or Ocean Group?

Also, there's a huuuuuuuuuge amount of filler in this first episode alone. I'd utterly forgotten.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what dub this is - I remember when I saw this "new" on Cartoon Network years ago the first episode was called "The Arrival of Raditz", but here it's called "The New Threat". Is that Funimation or Ocean Group?

Also, there's a huuuuuuuuuge amount of filler in this first episode alone. I'd utterly forgotten.

You're watching the funimation one. If it's the episode where gohan spends most of it stuck on a log its the original first episode that was edited right down for the original dub release because we got dbz before db

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

You're watching the funimation one. If it's the episode where gohan spends most of it stuck on a log its the original first episode that was edited right down for the original dub release because we got dbz before db

Right, that must be it. I'm pretty sure I remember the first episode ending with Raditz kidnapping Gohan then Goku and Piccolo teaming up to go after him.

It's a pretty weird series to jump straight into because I it assumes some familiarity with Dragon Ball, but I can only imagine how odd it must have been if you'd watched or read the whole way through Dragon Ball and then Goku is straight up killed in the first big fight when he'd been pretty much invincible for most of the original series.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, that must be it. I'm pretty sure I remember the first episode ending with Raditz kidnapping Gohan then Goku and Piccolo teaming up to go after him.

It's a pretty weird series to jump straight into because I it assumes some familiarity with Dragon Ball, but I can only imagine how odd it must have been if you'd watched or read the whole way through Dragon Ball and then Goku is straight up killed in the first big fight when he'd been pretty much invincible for most of the original series.

in his last two big fights he lost three limbs to a green man, King Piccolo kinda set the trend for Goku barely etching out victories

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Wheat Loaf posted:

You should not watch DBZ, and instead watch DB Kai. It cuts out 99% of the filler.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Maron was a treasure and if he's smart Krillin still regrets letting her go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reinanigans posted:

You should not watch DBZ, and instead watch DB Kai. It cuts out 99% of the filler.

Yeah, probably, but I don't have nostalgia for Kai. :D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure that Awesome Superpowerful Cyborg >>>> Kinda Ditzy Clone Of Bulma.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, the only thing keeping me from completely reliving my preadolescence is that absence of "Rock the Dragon" at the start.

It's probably a bit strange how I have these memories of watching DBZ when I was a kid. I remember Cartoon Network having all these adverts for it and I thought it looked interesting, so when the first episode came out and as soon as "Rock the Dragon" came on I was completely blown away, because I'd never seen a cartoon like it before and I don't think anyone else I knew had either.

I suppose that's part of why it became so popular; it had cool-looking mindless action that you just didn't see in most Western cartoons. I'm not sure if DBZ deserves to be called the "best action cartoon of all time" like this DVD case I've got claims, but I can definitely understand why it made that impression on people.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from completely reliving my preadolescence is that absence of "Rock the Dragon" at the start.

It's probably a bit strange how I have these memories of watching DBZ when I was a kid. I remember Cartoon Network having all these adverts for it and I thought it looked interesting, so when the first episode came out and as soon as "Rock the Dragon" came on I was completely blown away, because I'd never seen a cartoon like it before and I don't think anyone else I knew had either.

I suppose that's part of why it became so popular; it had cool-looking mindless action that you just didn't see in most Western cartoons. I'm not sure if DBZ deserves to be called the "best action cartoon of all time" like this DVD case I've got claims, but I can definitely understand why it made that impression on people.

It doesn't because that would lower it to the level of a cartoon

Reinanigans posted:

Dbz is better

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rock the dragon ruled. Listening to it now makes me realize that rock the dragon and the power rangers theme song had some of the best speed metal riffs ever.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the German version had a cover of Cha-La Head Cha-La or whatever and i'm not feeling Rock The Dragon at all, in fact it's a bit silly even

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

a cartoon duck posted:

the German version had a cover of Cha-La Head Cha-La or whatever and i'm not feeling Rock The Dragon at all, in fact it's a bit silly even

Chala Head Chala is by far superior and these American dudes just suffer from Stockholm Opening Syndrome or SOS because god save our souls from Rock the Dragon.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmqDipQn9A

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Kai is a million times better then DBZ and it's not even a contest.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dias posted:

Chala Head Chala is by far superior and these American dudes just suffer from Stockholm Opening Syndrome or SOS because god save our souls from Rock the Dragon.

i see it in the Digimon thread too with Butterfly/the Digi rap and i think the only conclusion is that nostalgia and stockholm are basically 100% identical

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cha-La and Super are the best, then I put English DB op (which I think is just a cover instead of a different song but I dunno) and Rock the Dragon on the next tier, and then Dragon Soul belongs in the trash.

...STEP INTO THE GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR GRAND TOUR

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Chickenfrogman posted:

Kai is a million times better then DBZ and it's not even a contest.

this guy right here gets it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Does Kai cut out the most important storyline in Dragon Ball, Bulma's battles with the giant namekian crab and Raspberry? I only ever watched Kai's Saiyan saga

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kia is only superior if you hate my childhood

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

Kia is only superior if you hate my childhood

I do. I hate your childhood.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

kai is still unbearably slow and full of filler

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

really for DBZ just stick to abridged or the manga

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

really for DBZ just stick to abridged or the manga

One of those is good, one of those is not.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

rude to insult the seminal manga by Akira Toriyama imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

all versions of dbz are bad except for the ones that are good
watch the good ones or I will be so mad you won't even believe how mad I will be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DBZ Manga > DBZA > DBK > DBZ.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Augus posted:

all versions of dbz are bad except for the ones that are good
watch the good ones or I will be so mad you won't even believe how mad I will be
I'm gonna power up

ImpAtom posted:

DBZ Manga > DBZA > DBK > DBZ.

Lol dbza is poo poo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think DBZ and Kai (what I watched of it anyway) are about even at the end of the day. One is too long and the other is too short and both thusly kneecap themselves as anything other than "thing you rush off the bus to watch on weekdays"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

Lol dbza is poo poo

I'm sorry you feel that way, Namtab. You must feel bad. As bad as Goku is at being a dad.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way, Namtab. You must feel bad. As bad as Goku is at being a dad.

flame baiting is against the forum rules

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

flame baiting is against the forum rules

I speak only the honest truth about Goku's terrible parenting skills.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Namtab Owned Count: Infinite

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kai length is just fine. They don't skip over anything from the manga.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Goku is a good dad and my dad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Kai length is just fine. They don't skip over anything from the manga.

I think it's more that the pacing for certain scenes works better drawn even if they're not skipping over scenes. YMMV of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Toriyama is a genius who wasted very few panels, a feat that an anim cannot replicate.

Rodyle posted:

Namtab Owned Count: Infinite

I'm not owned!

• Locked thread