Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NathanScottPhillips posted:

I grew up with the mantra that everybody is equal and should be treated the same way in and by society. I guess when I was growing up more emphasis was put on the fact that it wasn't but it's our responsibility to make it so. I think anyone who starts a sentence with "white people:" or "black people:" etc are racist, plain and simple.

Who hurt you to make you so fragile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I grew up with the mantra that everybody is equal and should be treated the same way in and by society. I guess when I was growing up more emphasis was put on the fact that it wasn't but it's our responsibility to make it so. I think anyone who starts a sentence with "white people:" or "black people:" etc are racist, plain and simple.

You're doing that thing where people conflate two distinct concepts of colourblindness, one of which is idealistic and the other which is sinister.

The idealistic version: "Treat everybody right no matter who they are"
The sinister version: "Never acknowledge when race and racism are factors in a situation"

'Golly gee, looks like four cops beating up an unarmed guy. What's that? You say they're white and he's black? How racist of you to notice.'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

iospace posted:

1999, according to the date on the top.

Or, evidence putting Trump in Cuba in opposition to the embargo.

Ah, ok, less recent than I thought. Still, the point stands. Legal papers always look like somebody dumped a bottle of ink on them and then stuck them in a copier crooked. It's so weird.

Also don't engage with the "why don't you guys consider racism against white people as equal, you're the real racists :qq:" guy please.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

"Our actions have consequences????? Thanks Obama!!!"
-Republicans

Obviously Obama just didn't veto their completely idiotic pandering bullshit bill HARD ENOUGH

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Pray tell, how are you going to even discuss issues of racial discrimination without using racial rhetoric?

edit: basically the impression you're giving is "talk about race makes me uncomfortable and I don't want to hear it"
I said that the death to white men philosophy is counter-productive and dumb.

The response was "black people are arrested more."

Wow we solved it!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

pacerhimself posted:

Black people often don't get the benefit of the doubt that white people do in police encounters.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yes exactly, except dead baby jokes aren't racist by definition.

But I only joke about dead babies of color

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

You're doing that thing where people conflate two distinct concepts of colourblindness, one of which is idealistic and the other which is sinister.

The idealistic version: "Treat everybody right no matter who they are"
The sinister version: "Never acknowledge when race and racism are factors in a situation"

'Golly gee, looks like four cops beating up an unarmed guy. What's that? You say they're white and he's black? How racist of you to notice.'
I literally have not made a single comment on any police violence against black people.

All I have said is that white men have reasons to respond to a poll saying they feel discriminated against.

I say "treat everybody right no matter what"
You say "never acknowledge any type of racism if its against white people"

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Oh wait you can't be racist against white people.

Seems to be the long and short of it! Glad you learned something!

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

But I only joke about dead babies of color
Saying "colored" - racist,

Saying "of color" - fine.

--Idiots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the death to white men thing isn't about you. it's about black people who are incredibly frustrated with the systems they have to endure every day. they let out some steam on the internet. nobody gets hurt. One person on the internet saying 'gently caress whitey' into the void does not actually hurt you.

you don't have to deal with the fact that there are actual groups who literally want to kill your entire race who actually hold some political sway. You don't have to deal with getting paid less, treated worse, and scrutinized for every little thing you do. Every black person in the world could end every sentence with 'and kill whitey,' and you'd still have it better. Suck it up, dude. You've had it better than them in every way for your entire life. You can handle some 19 year old who got called the n-word the other day letting off some steam to keep themselves from feeling powerless and broken.

That isn't discrimination. It doesn't affect you. Discrimination is getting less opportunities, less leeway in how you express yourself, less respect, and less money.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Armani posted:

Seems to be the long and short of it! Glad you learned something!
Genius use of logic there my good man!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

You grew up with the right values then - but do you see how the assertion that "everything is currently equal and everyone is treated the same" is harmful to that ideal, if it's patently untrue? "Color-blindess" serves a role in how you interact with people in your daily life, but when using it to examine institutional racism it hides the bigger picture.

I think you probably have good intentions but you're bothered by the sometimes glib way this thread handles race. If you ignore it when it bothers you and accept that people who say "kill whitey" don't really mean it, you'll be fine. Either that or just take a break from it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

All I have said is that white men have reasons to respond to a poll saying they feel discriminated against.

And those reasons are that they are petulant children that lack the ability to empathize with anyone other than themselves.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Endorph posted:

the death to white men thing isn't about you. it's about black people who are incredibly frustrated with the systems they have to endure every day. they let out some steam on the internet. nobody gets hurt. One person on the internet saying 'gently caress whitey' into the void does not actually hurt you.

you don't have to deal with the fact that there are actual groups who literally want to kill your entire race who actually hold some political sway. You don't have to deal with getting paid less, treated worse, and scrutinized for every little thing you do. Every black person in the world could end every sentence with 'and kill whitey,' and you'd still have it better. Suck it up, dude. You've had it better than them in every way for your entire life. You can handle some 19 year old who got called the n-word the other day letting off some steam to keep themselves from feeling powerless and brken.
But I just saw a poll saying that white people of all political views are feeling more discriminated against. You don't think any repercussions could come of that? Like maybe this trumpism spreads and people become more racially divided?

And it's not minorities doing the Kill Whitey thing, it's white people; specifically white millennials on the internet.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah, ok, less recent than I thought. Still, the point stands. Legal papers always look like somebody dumped a bottle of ink on them and then stuck them in a copier crooked. It's so weird.

Also don't engage with the "why don't you guys consider racism against white people as equal, you're the real racists :qq:" guy please.
You should see some of the submittals I get from contractors. Sometimes it looks like a PDF that's been printed and hand-scanned with that thing Charlie Sheen uses in Wall Street then faxed. I can find the same cutsheet on the manufacturer's website in 30 seconds just send me that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But I just saw a poll saying that white people of all political views are feeling more discriminated against.

apparently you can't read polls dude, because only republicans feel more discriminated against. democrats feel less discriminated against.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also 'white genocide' is right wing rhetoric about how the mixing of races means white people are going extinct!!!

It's not a left wing attack at all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Geostomp posted:

Nerdo-Nazis

Omg.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Deified Data posted:

You grew up with the right values then - but do you see how the assertion that "everything is currently equal and everyone is treated the same" is harmful to that ideal, if it's patently untrue? "Color-blindess" serves a role in how you interact with people in your daily life, but when using it to examine institutional racism it hides the bigger picture.

I think you probably have good intentions but you're bothered by the sometimes glib way this thread handles race. If you ignore it when it bothers you and accept that people who say "kill whitey" don't really mean it, you'll be fine. Either that or just take a break from it.
I absolutely have not and never will deny racism in America. There are tons of racial disparities and I probably know them better than you. I'd rather attack those problems head on rather than poison the conversation at step 1.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Saying "colored" - racist,

Saying "of color" - fine.

--Idiots

words have context. "colored" was a term used by plantation slavers. "...of color" is terminology autochthonous to the communities it describes. please stop posting

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

But I just saw a poll saying that white people of all political views are feeling more discriminated against. You don't think any repercussions could come of that? Like maybe this trumpism spreads and people become more racially divided?

These are growing pains - believe that. Hundreds of years of culturally ingrained privilege doesn't turn on a dime.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Endorph posted:

apparently you can't read polls dude, because only republicans feel more discriminated against. democrats feel less discriminated against.
You can't grammar, sorry.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

There are tons of racial disparities and I probably know them better than you.

Oh boy. Elaborate on this one, please.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Genius use of logic there my good man!

Says the guy who actually believes in white racism

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

???

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

You say "never acknowledge any type of racism if its against white people"

It's more that actual racism with impact against white people that has a negative impact on anybody is an impossibly small sliver on the pie chart of American racism.

I'll worry about the delicate flower accidentally encountering kill whitey jokes on the internet the day black people stop getting treated like criminals for existing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Are you afraid of white genocide?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sharkopath posted:

Are you afraid of white genocide?

The Black Panthers took my baby away

They took her away

Away from me

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

White dudes just aren't discriminated against in any sizable way, they're the dominant group in society and hold the majority of the power.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Armani posted:

Says the guy who actually believes in white racism
Whites are a global minority, how can you possibly say that it's impossible to be racist against white people? Systemic racism against white people? No, doesn't exist at least not in America. Individual racism against whites, yes absolutely.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

...and how come there isn't a White History Month, am I right?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, why are you replacing the leaking roof on the house, one of the fence boards is missing a sliver!!!

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

White dudes just aren't discriminated against in any sizable way, they're the dominant group in society and hold the majority of the power.
Wow you are fuckin racist! You are denying the self-determination and histories of millions upon millions of people around the world.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Whites are a global minority, how can you possibly say that it's impossible to be racist against white people? Systemic racism against white people? No, doesn't exist at least not in America. Individual racism against whites, yes absolutely.

Answer my question, corncob.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Everyone gets a handful of supportive, dialogue-seeking posts before I just give up. NathanScottPhillips, the point has been explained to you.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

*refuses to let black people fully integrate into schools until (arguably) 30-40 years ago*

"these people are saying black lives matter, and that offends me"

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
More does not mean majority.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

More does not mean majority.
but... what?

You said 'more.' Less democrats feel discriminated against now than in 2012. The poll says so. The bar is smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Calling out individual racist white guys is not racism. Hth.

• Locked thread