Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yes but have you forgotten this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjT0pN-a2K8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

True story the first fob I was on on my first deployment used a 113 as the gate.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I remember having a real, actual gate but then parking a humvee up against it every night for extra security from zerglings or whatever. The actual perimeter was literally just rocks and poo poo in some places but goddamn if that gate wasn't locked up tight.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Tried my first salute train; had the good fortune of catching our platoon's 2lt.

Didn't know that I could actually have fun sometimes

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Tried my first salute train; had the good fortune of catching our platoon's 2lt.

Didn't know that I could actually have fun sometimes

Salute trains were one of the few things that brought me joy when I was in... That were not alcohol related.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ASAPI posted:

Salute trains were one of the few things that brought me joy when I was in... That were not alcohol related.

Or involved time in a portashitter

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Fun things to do in the Army:

Break stuff
Fix stuff
Smoke cigarettes
Set stuff on fire
Shoot at stuff
Call in artillery on stuff
Ride in helicopters
Fart on stuff
Yell at people you outrank but in a meta ironic way
Sleep when you're not supposed to
Tell secrets to ur friends
Bang fat chicks

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm starting to realize how so many people in the Army develop a drinking problem.

The irony is I like everyone I work with and I have great leadership... but we're in the Army.

I wonder if the units at posts without a Corps and Division HQ get tasked out the rear end like the units on Lewis do.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You already know the answer to that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
loving Mustang is mvp of this thread I mean seriously it's great.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Ft Carson was the slam when Div West ran the show. Then stupid rear end 4th ID showed up and people had to sing songs about the worst division ever every morning

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
lol if you think it has anything to do with having a Corp or Division HQ there.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

milk milk lemonade posted:

Ft Carson was the slam when Div West ran the show. Then stupid rear end 4th ID showed up and people had to sing songs about the worst division ever every morning

ok this guy saying the 4ID song was some sort of revenge for the aafes thing sorry

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty large chunk of our tasks come down from Division at a minimum.

We wear the 2nd ID patch but sing the 7th ID song every morning.

I'll be here to provide schadenfreude for the next year and a half or so.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
7th ID was stood up purely for administrative purposes. You'd still be getting all of that bullshit even if you were still reporting to 2ID.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It's the Ivey division. I...V. Get it? gently caress 4th ID

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Singing Division songs is super gay. Not even the 82ND did that poo poo.

These could be that the 82 song is super dumb.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lol at even singing songs

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The arctic warrior song was pretty lame too. Especially since the singer in the demo tape they had for us sounded like a eunuch.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I am a bayonet! :downspatriot:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
CM branch had a song we had to memorize and sing too. Pretty sure the transportation corp or whatever has a song too

so potentially at a board they could make you sing the army song, div song, branch song if you think about that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If Shakespeare were reincarnated, given an education in particle physics and forced to join the Army he could spend an entire life time working on one piece of writing and still words would fail him on exactly how little of a poo poo anybody below the rank of 1SG ever, at any time, gives about unit songs, history, heraldry and just for good measure throw on the commanders goddamn recommended reading list.

This small a measurement would very probably be the one thing that manages to break reality and create a negative measurement of distance.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Sir yes sir our division was deactivated after WW1 then deactivated after WW2 then deactivated after Korea and I hope it gets deactivated again and it costs your your job bitchhh

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Pesticide20 posted:

Lol at even singing songs

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I love the 1ID song it's so catchy and we would always sing it like idiots to make Monday morning more bearable.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
lol Mustang's posts are like showing a friend an awesome horror movie that you've seen a thousand times

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Ace of Baes posted:

I love the 1ID song it's so catchy and we would always sing it like idiots to make Monday morning more bearable.

hail to the brave big red oneFUCK ITS IN MY HEAD NOW

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A is for all the way
I is for in the sky

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Steadfast and loyal
We're fit tooooo fightttt

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
We load the shiiiiips
We load the traiiiiiins
So that the other lads can load the boats and planes

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
WE ARE THE 10TH MOUNTAIN INFANTRY,
WITH A GLORIOUS HISTORY
ON OUR OWN TWO FEET,
ALL OUR FOES WE’LL DEFEAT,
LIGHT FIGHTERS MARCHING ON TO VICTORY.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
alcohol has killed that part of my long term memory

you have no power over me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
FROM FLAG AND TOOOORRRRCH
IN THE CIV IL WAR
TO SIGNL SATALIIIITES AFAAAARR

loving Gordon had it on repeat on Barton Field during the summer of '07.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think we had one in the 173d, but I honestly don't know. We did most of our runs off post and if we ran off post we weren't allowed to sing because the Italians didn't like it. It was the best.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ASSAULT RIGHT DOWN THROUGH THE SKIES OF BLUE!
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE JOB TO BE DONE!
WE'RE THE SOLDIERS OF THE 101ST
WE WILL FIGHT TILL THE BATTLE'S WON!

please kill me

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

alcohol has killed that part of my long term memory

you have no power over me

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My brother's good friend from high school was a dust off pilot for 4th ID for drat near 8 years. Every story he's told me paints them as a gigantic cluster gently caress ran by petty assholes and incompetent wiener-kids.

But that said, still way more positive than anyone I know who was in 82nd

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

My brother's good friend from high school was a dust off pilot for 4th ID for drat near 8 years. Every story he's told me paints them as a gigantic cluster gently caress ran by petty assholes and incompetent wiener-kids.

But that said, still way more positive than anyone I know who was in 82nd

I mean I was in 4ID and I'm not by any means trying to defend them but thats a pretty accurate statement for pretty much every single command in the US Army, except Mustangs of course. But in cases like that I usually tend to assume that means they're part of the problem, even if unwittingly. Or at least insulated from it by virtue of rank or position. Shocking stuff I know.

And it's like if say you had a great commander, it seems like as soon as things seem like they could be on the up, some CSM or whatever decides that it's not to his taste because when he was a PVT/SGT/SFC it was terrible in this way and by god it's not fair if it's not terrible that way still.

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 30, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
basically the army self corrects back to poo poo quickly imo

imagine a video of Jeff Goldblum saying that "the army finds a way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So I had my meeting with the one star from my wife's chain of command. We went through a set of printed Powerpoint slides (loving lol) that basically summarized the investigation report (which is identical to the preliminary I received in May. Apparently the report was finished in February and it took seven months for the judge advocate to review it and call it good). I asked my questions, vented about the bullshit I'd been through, and gave a copy of that letter I wrote (copies have been sent to the Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Army, Chief of Staff, SMA, my senators, my congressman, and the House and Senate Armed Forces Committees).

I'm pretty sure the LOD is complete because I received notification of benefits that I applied for in January that were dependent on the LOD being done.

Other than waiting for responses to the letters I sent, I think I might be finished.

I'm done.

Until something goes wrong again. My money is going to be on something retarded like "we've suddenly determined that your wife wasn't even in the Army at all."

• Locked thread