Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacebump posted:

Out of conference games will still happen. Those games will be less risky when only the Power 4 can make the playoffs.

Which is why the Lone Star Showdown will resume in 20XX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spacebump posted:

Out of conference games will still happen. Those games will be less risky when only the Power 4 can make the playoffs.

This is never going to happen

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Metapod posted:

Sec took a&m okst is better than a&m
Lol at this bad post.

General Dog posted:

This is never going to happen

People said the exact same thing about A&M joining the SEC.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 6, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

People said the exact same thing about A&M joining the SEC.

The power 4 would have to leave the NCAA. Granted, never is a long time, but we're talking decades at least.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe this is what I was thinking of. I remember kayakyakr or some other Tech fan being really confident Tech would be fine back when Texas last almost blew up the conference.

In that case, yeah OSU should worry. I still don't see the SEC inviting Kansas under any circumstances though.

It's a Texas politics thing. It would be politically difficult for UT to make a conference move without TTU.

Oklahoma State is actually even more politically tied with OU. OU would never be allowed to make a move without OSU.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Don't worry baylor will save the conference, AGAIN, then get framed for bad things by a Clinton in the whitehouse, AGAIN, then a building will mysteriously burn down, AGAIN

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

The power 4 would have to leave the NCAA. Granted, never is a long time, but we're talking decades at least.

I think we're about 85 percent of the way there. They just have to make a case to split FBS in half, which I think that you can.

You don't have to leave the NCAA. Just change the rules in the NCAA to your benefit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Metapod posted:

Sec took a&m okst is better than a&m

At what? Certainly not sports, academics or generating revenue. You seem to be letting your personal dislike of A&M get in the way of actually judging which team makes more sense.

If Texas does go to the PAC they'd certainly take Tech with them but they could try to take the Oklahoma schools with them too. Thats what happened last time, after all. Oklahoma wants the SEC instead but Texas could always take OSU westward without them. Its still another "close" game for them and a natural voting ally. The fourth slot could, once again, go to Kansas (or Nevada or some other school in that part of the country.)

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

CaptainYesterday posted:

There is no way Texas ends its other long-running rivalry via conference realignment.

You mean they won't go back to the way it was for the vast majority of the series? Texas and OU being conference mates is a recent thing. It only happened when the Big12 formed back in the 90's.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Which is why the Lone Star Showdown will resume in 20XX.

It would be awesome to see the Aggie militia marching down the streets of Austin again

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

At what? Certainly not sports, academics or generating revenue. You seem to be letting your personal dislike of A&M get in the way of actually judging which team makes more sense.

Stop don't take the bait, nooooo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

If Texas does go to the PAC they'd certainly take Tech with them but they could try to take the Oklahoma schools with them too. Thats what happened last time, after all. Oklahoma wants the SEC instead but Texas could always take OSU westward without them. Its still another "close" game for them and a natural voting ally. The fourth slot could, once again, go to Kansas (or Nevada or some other school in that part of the country.)

At football the sport that matters

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anne frank fanfic posted:

Don't worry baylor will save the conference, AGAIN, then get framed for bad things by a Clinton in the whitehouse, AGAIN, then a building will mysteriously burn down, AGAIN

*watching the 2014 Fiesta Bowl*

somehow Janet Reno is behind this

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Oklahoma wants the SEC instead

Who at OU does? Certainly not the administration or athletic department.

Boren has had his eyes on the PAC since all this realignment crap started 5-6 years ago.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The Big XII isn't going to disappear without such a tectonic shift in conference alignments that it's not worth even discussing.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I wish things would go back to the way they were.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Komet posted:

I wish things would go back to the way they were.

I would like for the old, old Big East to return, but with Penn State and Maryland. But we don't get what we want.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

That would be a good conference. A Big East with Penn State and Miami may also have attracted FSU over the ACC.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Komet posted:

That would be a good conference. A Big East with Penn State and Miami may also have attracted FSU over the ACC.

Thanks again, Joe Paterno

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Hey man, Paterno wanted an eastern football conference. I think the Big East basketball schools should be blamed for this.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Komet posted:

Hey man, Paterno wanted an eastern football conference. I think the Big East basketball schools should be blamed for this.

Nah, Paterno didn't want Miami in the conference. There are plenty of things I can blame the basketball schools for, but this in particular wasn't one of them.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The break-up of the Big XII is so far in the future that it's not worth discussing. Who cares what the current school AD's and President's think, they likely won't be part of the process when the Big XII actually breaks up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would like for the old, old Big East to return, but with Penn State and Maryland. But we don't get what we want.

If y'all are taking Rutgers too then deal

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

If y'all are taking Rutgers to then deal

Do we have to? I guess that's a small price to pay.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

After the AP put out its all time top 100 list, I cobbled a new FBS/IA/Whatever the Hell based on the top 40. Four ten team conferences got me here:

Atlantic
Piedmont
Clemson 
Florida State 
Georgia Tech 
Miami (FL) 
North Carolina 

Allegheny
Penn State 
Pittsburgh 
Virginia Tech 
West Virginia 
Maryland

Who gets to be murdered by FSU in the conference championship? The entire Allegheny division is abuzz!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Not sure why you'd want Maryland over Cuse.

Anyways, I don't blame the basketball schools for blocking Penn State's Big East application back in the day, it was only natural for some of them to be opposed. The real blame goes to whichever of the schools publicly supported Penn State but then voted against it during the actual application process. Didn't even have the guts to come out and admit who they were afterwards either....

And even then any hypothetical Eastern Athletic Conference would have turned into a shitshow in the 90s regardless of how many rivalries it preserved. Only Penn State was making money back then, Pitt was treading water and most of the others were actually in the red if I remember correctly. People talk about V-Tech and the Florida schools but they weren't perspective members way back when, it would have been PSU, Pitt, WV, Cuse, Temple, Rutgers, BC and whichever Metro team got good at the right time. It would be a very Texas and the Big XII situation and surely would have been peeled apart as other conferences expanded.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

Not sure why you'd want Maryland over Cuse.

Guess who was #40 and who was #41 in the rankings I used to pick the top 40!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston made its Big 12 pitch today -

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think the Eastern Athletic Conference might have been able to draw Notre Dame. Hard to say though.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
That was a pretty cool Thursday Night Big 12 game.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Whatever, I'd take Houston and Cincy to fill the conference out until we get the end of the GOR and figure out if we're doing 4 megaconferences or playoff expansion or what.

I hate adding yet another P5 school to the mix in Texas, but we don't really recruit well in Houston as it is. Would still rather see Tulane and UCF though. I just want to be able to go on vacation and see Texas win a game while I'm there. We currently have zero conference-mates based in cities where I would consider vacationing. And pulling some extra recruits out of SEC country would be a nice bonus.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Either this is a negotiation tactic or Big 12 expansion hopes are dying for now.
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/09/27/change-heart-ou-president-boren-quickly-sours-hopes-big-12-expansion

It might be a blessing in disguise for Tulane if the expansion talks were put on hold for a bit while Fritz builds up the program.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cool this is great. Love it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I used to think Dave Boren was playing some kind of 3D chess around everything with his comments to media sources, hosting well-timed press conferences, shaping agendas ahead of committee and board meetings, and so on.

Now I just think he ends up making his organizations look foolish.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They look dumb, but not as dumb as if they'd expanded by adding any of the current pool of candidates. Not without an extension of the GOR.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston can break a conference apart without even being in it

next level poo poo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

They look dumb, but not as dumb as if they'd expanded by adding any of the current pool of candidates. Not without an extension of the GOR.

It's true, but did they really need to waste months on this only to be like "lol, nah"? Maybe they were expecting some *wild-card* unsolicited applications.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hed posted:

It's true, but did they really need to waste months on this only to be like "lol, nah"? Maybe they were expecting some *wild-card* unsolicited applications.

No such thing as bad publicity. People spent three months talking about realignment whereas otherwise they'd have spent three months talking about Baylor.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

No such thing as bad publicity. People spent three months talking about realignment whereas otherwise they'd have spent three months talking about Baylor.

Tell that cliche to Chipotle, Blue Bell, or Volkswagen. This is a good diversion. If the press was talking about Baylor for 3 months, that would be bad publicly for the conference and school.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

How does extending the GOR make the current candidates more attractive options? If you don't like the available options, shackling yourself to them long-term sounds like about the dumbest thing you could do. Better to just let them hang out for a few years to gently caress our media partners out of extra money because they're obligated to pay full price for any team we add, plus it lets us do divisions and a CCG which is an extra chunk of change. Seems like plenty of teams would jump at a few years of extra cash and at least a remote possibility a nice landing spot in the aftermath.

• Locked thread