Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is good with groups of non gamers, laptop required.
Codenames is of course great too, and people can come and go without ruining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

taser rates posted:

Codenames/Codenames Pictures, Pictomania, Click Clack Lumberjack

I have all of these. Awesome. I don't have Werewolf. Though I know I could bodge together a p&p if I wanted.

Thanks.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Indolent Bastard posted:

I know questions like this have come up before but I'll be damned if I can find the responding posts. Other than Skull what are some good games for non-gamers that don't have a big learning curve and will likely be a hit with a group of diverse people. I'm debating whether or not Coup or the Resistance would be a good idea as they can get heated and drunks can't always follow the games logic.

I've had luck with Coup. It looks a bit goofy at first, but explaining that it's a bluffing game (and a light comparison to Poker), has helped with that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Loveletter is pretty much made for that purpose. You can play it by hand for drinks instead of as a match, so people could drop in and out if they wanted.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Loveletter is pretty much made for that purpose. You can play it by hand for drinks instead of as a match, so people could drop in and out if they wanted.

Also a game I have and sort of forgot about. Thanks.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also Jungle Speed, which is essentially Egyptian Rat Screw. I've played it at parties before, but for some reason I have trouble getting it to the table.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

There's also Jungle Speed, which is essentially Egyptian Rat Screw. I've played it at parties before, but for some reason I have trouble getting it to the table.

For maximum enjoyment, play Jungle Speed with the totem in another room.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Today I ordered a book from Amazon. It was $0.35 cents short of free shipping.

So ordered Agricola Revised to get past that threshold :ese:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Incan gold is a good non-gamer game and so is camel up.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 29, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Because my friends are the best ever, I scored a copy of Napoleon's Triumph. Problem is the adhesive on the stickers is basically gone. How do I reapply these things and still look neat? I'm thinking like scotch tape but if there's a common glue or something that works on metal I'd like to hear it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

al-azad posted:

Because my friends are the best ever, I scored a copy of Napoleon's Triumph. Problem is the adhesive on the stickers is basically gone. How do I reapply these things and still look neat? I'm thinking like scotch tape but if there's a common glue or something that works on metal I'd like to hear it.

I bet Glue Dots are going to be what you want

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Texibus posted:

Incan gold is a good non-gamer game and so is camel up.

Once people learn Camel Up it's pretty fun. It has a lot of moving parts and is subject to pretty bad AP, though. I'd recommend against it for a situation where many players will be drunk.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

I just put a dot or two of clear glue to keep them on.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Or double sided tape

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

I'm sorry, it's irretrievably broken. You can't play it. I'll give you :10bux: for it tho.

(A glue stick should work fine for usual wargame wear, i.e. sitting on your shelf unplayed. If you live in a humid climate, expect heavy wear, or just want to go the extra mile, you can use a clear matte sealant like Mod Podge. It's like $6 at Wal-Mart, plus you'll need like a lovely $1 paint brush that you can ruin.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This looks neat. An AI system to play multiplayer games all in your lonesome. Standard "play as everyone" but with the cards guiding you towards an aggressive, cautious or whatever play for your "opponents". No idea whether it's even possible, but the idea seems interesting.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Speaking of co-ops (but not a recommendation for Ka0; as this is not sci-fi):

Dreamlands expansion for Eldritch Horror announced

Would play Luke Robinson in every game and never need to pick up a ticket again! Then get beaten to death by a maniac in a back alley in Shanghai.

Anybody get Signs of Carcosa and want to pass judgement?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Carpet tape or whatever it's called in english. It's tape with adhesive on both sides.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Ka0 posted:

Anything. My only requisites are that it can be played with over 4 or 6 people, with clear goal-oriented objectives and that it places importance in comunication skills and diplomacy rather than luck. If the game extends for hours at a time is of no inconvenience.

Space Alert would be my go-to recommendation for sci-fi themed co-op but I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for. It's very fast-paced and each game only takes about 15 minutes, but you can string a few together in a campaign with the expansion. Definitely check out a video first I'd say. It plays 4-5 (not 1-5 as the box suggests).

Other than that, I haven't played it but Star Trek Mage Knight might work.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Definitely a tiny bit of glue or something like it, yeah. Especially for those little flags on the sides of the pieces, eesh.

Finally got to play the finished version of Freedom: the Underground Railroad, I played a mostly ready prototype to help out the designer at a con, but hadn't played the nice kickstarter finished version before.

Good stuff, we won 3 player on easy mode and just barely. It's definitely a bit soul crushing and I wouldn't want to play it very often, but well designed and really pretty and very tasteful given the theme. Owner of the game didn't even want to total up the score, but screw that, we got 43 points!

...I have no metric to judge that. It was 20 for winning, 32 for slaves freed, -14 for slaves lost, 5 for having a slave ship still on the market.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

It's definitely a bit soul crushing and I wouldn't want to play it very often, but well designed and really pretty and very tasteful given the theme.
Agreed. You go from "we have to save everyone" to "Ok, I can sacrifice this person cube to let other pass" to "Oh, God, you're a monster" to "Everyone is dead and it's your fault." :smith:.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

Agreed. You go from "we have to save everyone" to "Ok, I can sacrifice this person cube to let other pass" to "Oh, God, you're a monster" to "Everyone is dead and it's your fault." :smith:.

Or, if you're doing well, the third step goes to "Okay we have enough space on the slaves lost track to let that entire boat get lost when we win".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

Can you take a picture of what you are dealing with? I have pretty extensive glue knowledge having done so much model making and game token building, but I'd like to see your issue before I suggest anything.

E: I'm bringing the following for a cottage closing party.

Cash & Guns (1st ed)
Love Letter
Cockroach Poker
Skull
Codenames
Codenames Pictures
Pictomania
Click Clack Lumberjack

Click Clack Lumberjack is especially apt as we should be felling a tree or two. :black101:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 29, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I seem to be getting fine applying clear glue with a brush, but basically the game has metal pieces you apply stickers to and the stickers don't sit flush on the pieces. Simply handling the pieces your fingers would brush against the stickers and slide them around the metal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

I seem to be getting fine applying clear glue with a brush, but basically the game has metal pieces you apply stickers to and the stickers don't sit flush on the pieces. Simply handling the pieces your fingers would brush against the stickers and slide them around the metal.

Aleene's Glass & Bead Adhesive or E6000 Glue would work best. But if you are doing ok with "clear glue" then you should be good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Aleene's Glass & Bead Adhesive or E6000 Glue would work best. But if you are doing ok with "clear glue" then you should be good.

When I say clear glue it's some kind glass/metal rubber adhesive. Bonds great although I think I'll still go with a layer of scotch tape because I can already see the ink rubbing off on the stickers.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

When I say clear glue it's some kind glass/metal rubber adhesive. Bonds great although I think I'll still go with a layer of scotch tape because I can already see the ink rubbing off on the stickers.

Scotch tape is terrible. If you feel like it get this http://www.krylon.ca/products/crystal-clear-acrylic/ It will do much better than tape and won't constantly peel and flake off. Just use light coats. Alternately you can brush on Modge Podge.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ka0 posted:

Dear thread, I'm looking for a cooperative-type adventure game, in the vein of legends of andor, except in sci-fi space exploration. What game would you recommend.

Doesn't help you much probably but an old-school out of print game called The Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora might be your thing if old-school games aren't a turn off :shepface:

For modern board games though, I don't know if anything fits that honestly unless Space Alert is your jam.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

sector_corrector posted:

Once people learn Camel Up it's pretty fun. It has a lot of moving parts and is subject to pretty bad AP, though. I'd recommend against it for a situation where many players will be drunk.

jfc who the gently caress AP's out on Camel Up :confused:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Doesn't help you much probably but an old-school out of print game called The Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora might be your thing if old-school games aren't a turn off :shepface:

For modern board games though, I don't know if anything fits that honestly unless Space Alert is your jam.

Star Trek Frontiers maybe?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh heck, you're right. Good catch!

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Mister Sinewave posted:

jfc who the gently caress AP's out on Camel Up :confused:

There's a 1 in 3 chance Blue will be at least 2nd place this leg, but if I place an oasis then Green has a 1/2 chance of winning the race next leg, unless Green goes before White, which means...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
uuuuuuuuuuuggghhh please stop

Don't make me enforce a two drink minimum on you

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sand timers for every game. Every. Game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Since I've mainly played COINs in solitaire, I treat them like puzzle games where I can take hours to ponder a move. I can only imagine what this would make me like in a 4-player game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I just received FCM today and while the game seems pretty simple, how the hell are you supposed to derive an initial turn order? You only start with one CEO so everyone has the same number of open slots. So, uhhhhhh? I hope it's not random because if it is, I would have been fooled by the 100% dice free advertising. :negative:

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
[quote="Gutter Owl" post="""]If you live in a humid climate, expect heavy wear, or just want to go the extra mile, you can use a clear matte sealant like Mod Podge. It's like $6 at Wal-Mart, plus you'll need like a lovely $1 paint brush that you can ruin.
[/quote]

This is what I did, and it's great-a couple hours work to put some coats on that will make sure the stickers never come off, and the matte finish goes well with the wooden blocks. It's a striking looking game already, and it deserves the best.

Next let's talk about counter clipping...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chill la Chill posted:

So I just received FCM today and while the game seems pretty simple, how the hell are you supposed to derive an initial turn order? You only start with one CEO so everyone has the same number of open slots. So, uhhhhhh? I hope it's not random because if it is, I would have been fooled by the 100% dice free advertising. :negative:

Higher in turn order breaks ties.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

The rules explicitly say that you randomly draw player markers for initial turn order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

The rules explicitly say that you randomly draw player markers for initial turn order.

Oh, it's not under order of business like I expected it to be. But poo poo, it's random. :negative: