Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bragging about his pee-nus power. (warning: :nws: audio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwLYJYsa0A

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DanielPryorr/status/781361652654637056
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/781334763370082308

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

These fuckfaces need an economic impact study to figure out it's bad to litter.

The natural inability to understand how an individual action can form a part of collective responsibility is the defining goddamn flaw of conservatism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

The natural inability to understand how an individual action can form a part of collective responsibility is the defining goddamn flaw of conservatism.

They need to imagine alien gods to understand social structures that don't benefit any one person.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not just that he thinks that it's pointless...
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/762636696747900928
It's also evil and probably only commies like voting.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Sax Solo posted:

Do you have a link to such a study?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Chocula posted:

Do you have a link to such a study?

Go ahead and litter. Go ahead and toss that rubbish. You don’t really need my permission, but there is no reason why you should be carrying around your refuse in your hands like a homeless bum.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Has society made you such a pansy that you are afraid to toss that empty beer can on the sidewalk? Grow some balls – and litter proudly.

Littering demonstrates what this world is. If you fling your rubbish into the street, the very act of littering shows that this country is already trash. Are you going to say that a graffiti-covered building isn’t already refuse? Are you going to tell me that there is truly a substantive difference between the junk food and its wrapper? Why not just toss that Big Mac container on the sidewalk? You’ve already eaten the worst of the crap anyway.

What difference does it make if you leave your Styrofoam drink cup on a picnic table if the environment is already made out of plastic anyway? Your habit of littering proves that there is nothing in this world that is actually worth saving. The world has gone to poo poo anyway, so why not just add some filth to the mess?

You’re telling me that I should not litter when the city is already looking like a prison camp with metal bars and surveillance cameras? Why the hell didn’t you express those same sentiments when the ruling class was designing such oppressive architecture in the first place?

Littering shows that you are more important than the people behind you. Why would you give a poo poo if some stranger slips on your discarded banana peel? You are more important than the rest of society. Disposing of your waste “properly” merely displays how much you have been socialized. Look at the filth already on the sidewalk – no one cares about you, why you concern yourself with anyone else?

Surely the real garbage in this world is other people. Your empty liquor bottle might be useless, but at least it is not as worthless as the rest of humanity. Leaving that piss-filled trash on the sidewalk helps others recognize what they truly are.

Littering demonstrates that everything has its lifespan. Your cigarette butt is not going to harm the environment. Even if it did, why would you care? You are not going to live forever anyway. What difference does it make if the city becomes uninhabitable in the next decade? You aren’t going to be around anyway.

Littering is honest. Littering shows that you haven’t been indoctrinated by the do-gooders. The act of littering shows that you have accepted the world as it is.

Toss that beer bottle on the pavement.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Go ahead and litter. Go ahead and toss that rubbish. You don’t really need my permission, but there is no reason why you should be carrying around your refuse in your hands like a homeless bum.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Has society made you such a pansy that you are afraid to toss that empty beer can on the sidewalk? Grow some balls – and litter proudly.

Littering demonstrates what this world is. If you fling your rubbish into the street, the very act of littering shows that this country is already trash. Are you going to say that a graffiti-covered building isn’t already refuse? Are you going to tell me that there is truly a substantive difference between the junk food and its wrapper? Why not just toss that Big Mac container on the sidewalk? You’ve already eaten the worst of the crap anyway.

What difference does it make if you leave your Styrofoam drink cup on a picnic table if the environment is already made out of plastic anyway? Your habit of littering proves that there is nothing in this world that is actually worth saving. The world has gone to poo poo anyway, so why not just add some filth to the mess?

You’re telling me that I should not litter when the city is already looking like a prison camp with metal bars and surveillance cameras? Why the hell didn’t you express those same sentiments when the ruling class was designing such oppressive architecture in the first place?

Littering shows that you are more important than the people behind you. Why would you give a poo poo if some stranger slips on your discarded banana peel? You are more important than the rest of society. Disposing of your waste “properly” merely displays how much you have been socialized. Look at the filth already on the sidewalk – no one cares about you, why you concern yourself with anyone else?

Surely the real garbage in this world is other people. Your empty liquor bottle might be useless, but at least it is not as worthless as the rest of humanity. Leaving that piss-filled trash on the sidewalk helps others recognize what they truly are.

Littering demonstrates that everything has its lifespan. Your cigarette butt is not going to harm the environment. Even if it did, why would you care? You are not going to live forever anyway. What difference does it make if the city becomes uninhabitable in the next decade? You aren’t going to be around anyway.

Littering is honest. Littering shows that you haven’t been indoctrinated by the do-gooders. The act of littering shows that you have accepted the world as it is.

Please stop quoting Count Chocula to Count Chocula

Alternately, do this constantly, as the only reply that Count Chocula ever receives in this thread

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Antivehicular posted:

Please stop quoting Count Chocula to Count Chocula

Alternately, do this constantly, as the only reply that Count Chocula ever receives in this thread

I'm not sure if this is ironic - I used to pro-littering because it demonstrates contempt for nature or something.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

neongrey posted:

You can see this in action done by non-douchebags if you go to tor.com and check out any of their series rereads. The best of them look at older works and go into how the blogger is responding to the work now relative to when it was written and how it holds up to a modern eye, which is at least interesting. The worst focus in on "ooh I didn't notice that foreshadowing the first time" and "Perhaps this links in to the overall plotline of the series".

exception: malazan

its absolutely valid to read malazan again and marvel at connections that you missed the first time

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

So basically DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED then

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also like how that guy's life expectancy seems to be less than a decade.

Actually I don't like that, that's how suicidal people think :ohdear:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ate all the Oreos posted:

Also like how that guy's life expectancy seems to be less than a decade.

Actually I don't like that, that's how suicidal people think :ohdear:

Eh, it could be that, more likely he thinks he'll die a glorious warrior's death when THE REVOLUTION happens and his sacrifice will bring about their all-white utopia

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure that's Mr. Mean-Spirited, who is way too petty and :emo: to actually think about counterrevolutionary politics, or for that matter, anything other than himself. His littering thing is not some sort of Moldbugian reactionary thought, just "gently caress YOU DAD I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

slatestarcodex posted:

Trump is all set to be the biggest gift to the social justice movement in history. They thrive on claims of persecution, claims that they’re the ones fighting a stupid hateful regressive culture that controls everything. And people think that bringing their straw man to life and putting him in the Oval Office is going to help?

I don't really think you can call someone a straw man when they're running for president.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't really think you can call someone a straw man when they're running for president.

No you see Trump is actually an energy being created by the metaphysical interaction of SJW's on the political morphogenetic field and is in fact a being made of pure anti-feminism particles

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ate all the Oreos posted:

No you see Trump is actually an energy being created by the metaphysical interaction of SJW's on the political morphogenetic field and is in fact a being made of pure anti-feminism particles

I would put money down that at least one weirdo has tried to make a tulpa for the sole purpose of arguing with it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I would put money down that at least one weirdo has tried to make a tulpa for the sole purpose of arguing with it.
If real people won't speak to them any more...?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at Scott's tumblr it seems that even lw tumblr isn't a fan of his latest. Though Scott's defenses are particularly bad, as always.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Qwertycoatl posted:

The idea is that "No, you see, we're not racists, the LIEBERALS are the real racists!"

It's a common trope amongst the alt-right-o-sphere that you can, in the same article, accuse the left of being racists and simultaneously express the opinion that black people should be deported from the US. I think the underlying rationalization of it is that you can't not be racist, therefore, people who express opinions like "I think black people are people and deserve to be treated the same as me" are the real racists because they're lying. :psyduck:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fututor Magnus posted:

Looking at Scott's tumblr it seems that even lw tumblr isn't a fan of his latest. Though Scott's defenses are particularly bad, as always.

good lord, the Scott Adams level whininess ending this thread

In the meantime, have a particularly nice Neoreaction A Basilisk interview, which makes the philosophical case for Yudkowsky inspiring neoreaction, much as he would hate the idea.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

He committed the cardinal sin: Being racist against white people

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I read about one third of the post being discussed and my eyes glazed over from the hemming and hawing and sciencey weasel words.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
hbomberguy makes a special guest appearance (through a video posted) on an Alt-Right stream about 4 minutes in. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tV1At25Lss

:suicide:

First 16 minutes: "they call anyone to the right of Stalin a nazi. heh, :smug:"

"I know where I stand on the political spectrum, and im certainly not right-wing"

"only a few a these sjw's will debate us [followed by whining about being dismissed from all political discourse]"

"[after seeing black person on video] ":lol: we waz kangs:downs:"

haha 18 minutes in they wonder if hbomberguy is a brony

"collectivism only when it suites their own narrative :smuggo:"

:ironicat:

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Oct 1, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You may enjoy putting your dick in a vise, but I find it highly unpleasant

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You may enjoy putting your dick in a vise, but I find it highly unpleasant

i only came across this video when i saw hbomberguy in the thumbnail image

First 16 minutes: "they call anyone to the right of Stalin a nazi. heh, :smug:"

"I know where I stand on the political spectrum, and im certainly not right-wing"

"only a few a these sjw's will debate us [followed by whining about being dismissed from all political discourse]"

"[after seeing black person on video] ":lol: we waz kangs:downs:"

haha 18 minutes in they wonder if hbomberguy is a brony

"collectivism only when it suites their own narrative :smuggo:"

:ironicat:
[/quote]

25:51 "[one of their internet connections going bad] The sound coming from him makes me think of the night I lost my virginity"

27:19 "[Kristi Winters appears on screen] ahhhh! can we skip this?! "No! We'll have to power on through!"

1:44:51 "Here's the thing, you can only assert with any sort of certainty that somebody is a racist if they are identifying themselves as a racist:shepface:"

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Oct 1, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
aaaaaaaaaa

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if there might be another spectrum where he can find specific placement.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

divabot posted:

In the meantime, have a particularly nice Neoreaction A Basilisk interview, which makes the philosophical case for Yudkowsky inspiring neoreaction, much as he would hate the idea.

This review keeps pissing me off by describing Roko's Basilisk as "Calvinist blackmail," like buddy, I think there's some things you don't understand about both terms. The whole point of Calvinism is that your salvation or damnation is predestined and nothing you can do will alter it. The whole point of blackmail is to alter behavior with a threat. This is a contradiction in terms and it completely misunderstands Roko's Basilisk.

quote:

Here is a very fast version of the labyrinth of Roko’s Basilisk. At every moment when we think about whether to help build this super-AI, we weigh our preferences. One alternative is to join the AI project, and its consequences would be eventually building such a thing. The other is to do anything else, but if the super-AI eventually comes to exist, it will resurrect us in its mainframe and torture us eternally. Such retroactive blackmail is the perfect way to force us into creating it, so the reasoning goes. It is Pascal’s Wager by way of Silicon Valley, but whose God is inescapably cruel. It will offer grace or terror, and you have no real power to change your fate. With the power to simulate the entire universe perfectly, the machine knows your fate before you do.

Like, what? This whole thought experiment is based on the idea that people can be threatened into devoting more time and resources to developing a benevolent AI if they know that being virtually tortured is a consequence of not doing so. The horror of this concept (and why it's called a "basilisk") is that once you put this idea in peoples' heads, they will feel under the gun to avoid this fate without ever being sure if their efforts are enough. That is literally works-salvation with the Catholic twist of uncertainty about one's fate, which is the polar opposite of Calvinist predestination! gently caress, you can even resolve the tension by supposing the possibility of a VR purgatory where you suffer in proportion to your lack of effort. Whatever you want to call Roko's Basilisk, and there's a lot of colorful things you could call it, a parallel to a radical Protestant theory of soteriology is not one of them.

The only level on which this can make sense is through that last line where the ability of an AI to perfectly simulate the universe is similar to the Calvinist God's ability to perfectly know in advance what choices all humans will make, thus leaving humans no scope for action to change their fates because, taking omniscience seriously, you can't surprise God. Well, here's the thing: Calvin's God existed before you did, Roko's AI does not. The AI does not "know your fate before you do" because it does not exist yet. It is literally post-determining, not predetermining, your fate, judging you for the actions it near-perfectly simulates you as having taken, long after you may have taken them. So even at this point the review gets it completely backwards.

And hell, why did Yud melt down about this? His words were something to the effect of saying that speculating about the ability of AIs to blackmail people like this in a public forum is what will give future AIs the idea to do so. No version of the Christian God, Calvin's or otherwise, needs our help to come up with the idea of damnation.

eta: Yeah I know this is a minor nitpicky point that probably very few people besides me will have any reason to care this much about, whatever.

GunnerJ has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 1, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Race Realists posted:

hbomberguy makes a special guest appearance (through a video posted) on an Alt-Right stream about 4 minutes in. Enjoy!

Wow they epic owned left-wingers by making a two hour video where they just responded to everything in it with "that's not true" with no proper debunking and "that didn't make me laugh"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is anyone friends with the big Yud on Facebook? I'm curious if there's been a reaction from that community. I'm friends with a friend of his so I could ask.

E: I didn't watch the video above yet, sorry if that is what I'm asking about.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nah the vid above is a bunch of alr-righters who responded to a video of questions to the alt-right by denying anything negative.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GunnerJ posted:

This review keeps pissing me off by describing Roko's Basilisk as "Calvinist blackmail," like buddy, I think there's some things you don't understand about both terms. The whole point of Calvinism is that your salvation or damnation is predestined and nothing you can do will alter it. The whole point of blackmail is to alter behavior with a threat. This is a contradiction in terms and it completely misunderstands Roko's Basilisk.

Like, what? This whole thought experiment is based on the idea that people can be threatened into devoting more time and resources to developing a benevolent AI if they know that being virtually tortured is a consequence of not doing so. The horror of this concept (and why it's called a "basilisk") is that once you put this idea in peoples' heads, they will feel under the gun to avoid this fate without ever being sure if their efforts are enough. That is literally works-salvation with the Catholic twist of uncertainty about one's fate, which is the polar opposite of Calvinist predestination! gently caress, you can even resolve the tension by supposing the possibility of a VR purgatory where you suffer in proportion to your lack of effort. Whatever you want to call Roko's Basilisk, and there's a lot of colorful things you could call it, a parallel to a radical Protestant theory of soteriology is not one of them.

The only level on which this can make sense is through that last line where the ability of an AI to perfectly simulate the universe is similar to the Calvinist God's ability to perfectly know in advance what choices all humans will make, thus leaving humans no scope for action to change their fates because, taking omniscience seriously, you can't surprise God. Well, here's the thing: Calvin's God existed before you did, Roko's AI does not. The AI does not "know your fate before you do" because it does not exist yet. It is literally post-determining, not predetermining, your fate, judging you for the actions it near-perfectly simulates you as having taken, long after you may have taken them. So even at this point the review gets it completely backwards.

And hell, why did Yud melt down about this? His words were something to the effect of saying that speculating about the ability of AIs to blackmail people like this in a public forum is what will give future AIs the idea to do so. No version of the Christian God, Calvin's or otherwise, needs our help to come up with the idea of damnation.

eta: Yeah I know this is a minor nitpicky point that probably very few people besides me will have any reason to care this much about, whatever.

I'm developing a new laser to split the very finest hairs. I will need help to do it this pointlessly though

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I have already accepted that there's little point to insisting on this distinction, but then I can't help but wonder what the point of describing something in terms of its conceptual opposite was to begin with.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm developing a new laser to split the very finest hairs. I will need help to do it this pointlessly though

Don't be willfully dense.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is anyone friends with the big Yud on Facebook? I'm curious if there's been a reaction from that community. I'm friends with a friend of his so I could ask.

E: I didn't watch the video above yet, sorry if that is what I'm asking about.

I recently discovered that he's the brother in law of an old friend from undergrad, which is... Weird. Apparently they're not close.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GunnerJ posted:

I have already accepted that there's little point to insisting on this distinction, but then I can't help but wonder what the point of describing something in terms of its conceptual opposite was to begin with.

No

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The Rationalists like to believe they are so rational that they don't have free will, all of their decisions are based on 100% rationality. Roko's Basilisk supposes only one rational option, so their decision is predetermined.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I recently discovered that he's the brother in law of an old friend from undergrad, which is... Weird. Apparently they're not close.
Yeah, my friend was an attendee at that wedding he officiated. Apparently the parents were not quite sure what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

I wonder if one could write a sociology paper on how the alt-right hate Hillary for being essentially a cvck but they won't use the word because it implies the person so impugned has masculinity to lose and they, as unrepentant misogynists, see Hillary as being beneath even that title.

I think their logic is literally that only white males can be c _ cks, a woman like Hillary is just enacting her sinister pro-not-white-male agenda.