Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What's a building society? And what the hell's in brown sauce.

In ye olden days it was kind of like a co-operative bank. It offered it's customers better loans to get mortgages and the like. Nowadays they are usually smaller banks with less international clout and better ISA offers.

I don't know is the answer to the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

monster on a stick posted:

The only places I've seen third-party ATMs that always charge no matter who issued the card (typically set up by someone who sets it up as a business) are inside bars. I have no idea why people use them instead of just using a credit card to pay for their beer, since nearly all debit cards can be processed as credit cards anyway even if you have something against credit cards.

For gambling and for games.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brown, duh.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Josef bugman posted:

The atm machine, presumably even if it's free standing it is not just out in the street. So does the place where it is parked, a corner shop or supermarket, see an uptick in business if an atm is placed there? If so get them to pay for it.

Non-bank private ATM's are super common in NYC delis, and they're usually third-party companies which contracts with the small business. There's a whole supply chain involved with private armored cars and paid security which comes and replaces the money from machine-to-machine, and taking on the costs of maintaining the machines and paying the people involved in getting the money from one place to another has to come from somewhere. Ostensibly, people deserve to get paid for delivering a service to you for your convenience. There's always your bank ATM's if you want to get your money for free. But if you're not willing to go to travel the extra distance to you bank for this, it seems totally fair to take a fee as a convenience charge.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Building societies are like our credit unions.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

What is the difference between a credit union and a bank? Are they a bit more like our building societies? I couldn't comment on Credit cards (as I do not have one) but our bank cards are only ever charged by atms in the most dive like of localles.

I realise we are getting very close to "root and tooty point and shooty" levels of Britishness here.

Banks are for-profit corporations that do what you think they do.

Credit unions are non-profits and thus tax-exempt. They typically focus more on consumers. Credit unions were originally supposed to be for small, well-connected groups of people (say, employees for state government or a large employer only) and were generally tiny with only a few branches. That's changed a lot, there are credit unions that are effectively open to anyone and some are very large (Navy Federal which is for people in or who work for the military is huge.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
ATM chat is fun. I used to stock one near a fancy summer amphitheater and we'd cram that thing to it's absolute max (about 120k) every Friday night only to see it empty by Sunday. Since the bank is paying to stock that ATM (crisp 10's and 20's, straight from the Fed) it makes sense to charge a fee. Stand-alone ATM's are even more expensive since they require an armored van and guards packing heat with kevlar vests.

Credit unions get away with not charging because they're all touchy feely and cooperative with other CU's. Which is easy because historically membership has been selective, so they didn't really compete with one another. They also get away with having much smaller networks because "my credit union has tons of branches and ATM locations" said no one ever - so expectations are lower. For big banks, the number of ATM's has a definite impact on customer rolls and charging a fee recoups costs while also offering an incentive to become a customer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

ATM chat is fun. I used to stock one near a fancy summer amphitheater and we'd cram that thing to it's absolute max (about 120k) every Friday night only to see it empty by Sunday. Since the bank is paying to stock that ATM (crisp 10's and 20's, straight from the Fed) it makes sense to charge a fee. Stand-alone ATM's are even more expensive since they require an armored van and guards packing heat with kevlar vests.

Credit unions get away with not charging because they're all touchy feely and cooperative with other CU's. Which is easy because historically membership has been selective, so they didn't really compete with one another. They also get away with having much smaller networks because "my credit union has tons of branches and ATM locations" said no one ever - so expectations are lower. For big banks, the number of ATM's has a definite impact on customer rolls and charging a fee recoups costs while also offering an incentive to become a customer.

I pay $0 for a CU ATM. cu uses armored vehicles with Kevlar guards too. Banks are scams. How is this hard?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Burt Sexual posted:

I pay $0 for a CU ATM. cu uses armored vehicles with Kevlar guards too. Banks are scams. How is this hard?

My credit union also refunds when banks charge me ATM fees. Find the smallest credit union you can, and do everything there. They send me handwritten Christmas cards every year.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

blugu64 posted:

My credit union also refunds when banks charge me ATM fees. Find the smallest credit union you can, and do everything there. They send me handwritten Christmas cards every year.

Why would you not? I don't understand at all? Why does anyone need chase or whatever? You need to walk into a bank on the reg? I do maybe once every 3 yrs and I'm loving olllllllllldddd.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

"my credit union has tons of branches and ATM locations" said no one ever

Eh, one of the local credit unions (Boeing Employee's Credit Union - though it's open to anyone in WA) has ATMs and these small branches that don't handle cash loving everywhere around Seattle. They advertise this. They even have free WiFi because who doesn't want to hang out at a credit union.

Burt Sexual posted:

Why would you not? I don't understand at all? Why does anyone need chase or whatever? You need to walk into a bank on the reg? I do maybe once every 3 yrs and I'm loving olllllllllldddd.

Chase sent me a card saying they'd give me $500 if I put some money in their accounts for six months. Ok. :shrug:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My bank sucks double. If there's an ATM fee, there's a matching fee from my bank that accumulates over the statement period. So 6 quick 2.50 fees from ATMs means an additional 15 bucks at the end of the month! Banks can blow me!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Sometimes people travel farther then 2 miles from where they live?

A CU can probably eat the cost on a handful of ATMs, a small walkup ATM in a store doesn't cost much. But if you get a bunch of them, they all cost money to maintain, you have to pay for data circuits, armored car service to load them, the actual cash to fill them and so on.

ATMs can be a good money maker, plop one of them near a venue that deals in cash and people can't give you money fast enough. Place I work for put one in near the entrance to a national park where all the souvenir shops are. Bus of foreign tourists show up and all want to buy a couple of shirts or whatever, and they hit up the ATM. 2-3 bucks a shot and they have to send a truck up every 3 days to add more money.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

My bank sucks double. If there's an ATM fee, there's a matching fee from my bank that accumulates over the statement period. So 6 quick 2.50 fees from ATMs means an additional 15 bucks at the end of the month! Banks can blow me!

dude close your account at satanbank

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Well Fargo was also caught repossesing cars of service members, in violation of Federal Law.

As if you needed any other reason to hate banks.

quote:

The bank was fined $20 million more by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency for breaking three provisions of the same law by denying members of the military certain banking protections, including capping their interest rates at 6%. Those violations began in 2006, the OCC said.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

But if you hate banks you are a commie who doesn't understand how the world works whelp time to go pay someone to throw my money into a figurative mattress at a bank that literally fucks me up the rear end daily because I literally cannot conceive of any other system. After all, if a system cannot extract wealth from a majority of its participants for literally no reason other than profit for a select minority it can't possibly be efficient.

Hint: non-profit =/= unable to cover expenses

ryonguy has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Sep 30, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lol if you don't just keep all your cash in your mattress

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ryonguy posted:

But if you hate banks you are a commie who doesn't understand how the world works whelp time to go pay someone to throw my money into a figurative mattress at a bank that literally fucks me up the rear end daily because I literally cannot conceive of any other system. After all, if a system cannot extract wealth from a majority of its participants for literally no reason other than profit for a select minority it can't possibly be efficient.

Hint: non-profit =/= unable to cover expenses

Wut

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

Wanting to be reimbursed for the costs (and/or sending the message to people that "hey if you value convenient ATM and branch locations switch to Super McAwesome Bank today") is not unreasonable.

But like, everything should be free man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm lost on what we're arguing. Are you a member of a CU? Then that's why it's free. I doubt a CU is offering free ATM to BoA customers. I'm a member of a CU that has a bunch of ATM's in a major sports complex. Those are free to me and maybe members of other CU's, but they sure as hell aren't free to everyone.

Now if you're a member of a CU, then they may reimburse you for any other ATM fees. But that's not quiet the same thing. My CU doesn't reimburse me (they paid too much for that exclusive arena contract) so I accept that I can only get free withdrawals at Publix supermarkets.

I have a CU account because CU's are better. But the fact big banks charge for ATM's is not why they're worse than CU's.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
lol people are actually defending ATM fees? Wow.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

every issue ever will have defenders

women deserve the right to vote

there are people who feel the opposite

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Until I got to where I live now where having cash means a substantial discount at certain places, I never understood why people use cash for things. I still don't unless I'm getting some bud or dealing with good ol boys who give a better price for cash and don't charge the 10% sales tax or I'm at good little shops where I don't want to make them pay the Square or whatever fee. What are yall doing where you need to pull a lot of cash out of atms other than buying drugs in a place where your bank ins't?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

So I set foot in a Sears on what should have been a busy Saturday evening (after all, the rest of the mall was alive and jumping), but the place was loving dead and devoid of people and stock (I can't emphasize stock enough; there was almost nothing on the shelves or clothing displays). I was one of four people total on the second floor, and three of the others were employees. The tool section had no tools in it, but at least they had Christmas trees displayed prominently (like who the hell says that? "I'm going to Sears to buy a fake Christmas tree!" :downs:).

The place was deathly quiet. It's like, you know when you're watching a war movie during a chaotic battle, and a massive explosion happens right next to the protagonist, striking him deaf for a minute or two until some ringing happens in his ears and the sound slowly comes back to full volume, but in that minute or two, it's the director's choice to show lots of action taking place on screen without any sound at all? That's how eerily loving quiet it was.

The electronics section had about three TVs and some alarm clocks, and maybe a bin of no-name DVD players. There may or may not have been a Blu-ray player for sale, but I think I just hallucinated it. Legend says there may have at one point been a fourth TV for sale, but it's just a tall tale. The appliance section was well stocked and clean, though. I guess that's a slim money maker for Sears Holding, but it can't be much with much better deals out there.

I didn't even bother checking out the first floor, which is more clothing. gently caress that. I went in for one simple tool, and they didn't have it. They didn't have anything. Oh yeah, and by the way, this Sears was built in 1982, and while the mall upgraded its image, the Sears did not. Although the place was clean and tidy with what they have, it's definitely hilariously dated to 1982, and no one wants to plop down hard earned cash in a dated, no stock having, eerily quiet dinosaur of a store.

Sears is definitely not going to be around after the 2016 holidays. Early 2017 at the latest.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The one nice thing I can say about the Sears in my local mall is that you can always find parking there.

wait that's not nice at all

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ryonguy posted:

a ... mattress ... that literally fucks me up the rear end daily

First dude to invent this will be a loving billionaire.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Simsmagic posted:

The one nice thing I can say about the Sears in my local mall is that you can always find parking there.

wait that's not nice at all

Pretty sure I remember seeing a Sears commercial that did some self-deprecation with this. Two women go to the mall, one of them says to park at Sears since there's always parking at Sears, and then they can cut through the store to get into the mall. Other woman says okay and they do so, but get entranced by all the stuff inside before they can even leave Sears.

In the end, they don't even go in the mall, but walk out of Sears with a bunch of bags.

E: Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLmu98-wkmk

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I was in a Sears recently. I was second in line, and this little old lady was paying with a check. I guess Sears has some kind of archaic way of dealing with this because it legitimately took over ten minutes. Enough that the little old ladies behind me were commenting to each other about it.

I don't think I've seen someone with a checkbook in public since maybe the early 2000's. But that must be Sears bread and butter, old people with checkbooks that think the Sears name still means quality. In fact, before I got out of there, I heard a customer at another register tell the cashier that she was down to the last check in her checkbook.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

crack mayor posted:

I was in a Sears recently. I was second in line, and this little old lady was paying with a check. I guess Sears has some kind of archaic way of dealing with this because it legitimately took over ten minutes. Enough that the little old ladies behind me were commenting to each other about it.

I don't think I've seen someone with a checkbook in public since maybe the early 2000's. But that must be Sears bread and butter, old people with checkbooks that think the Sears name still means quality. In fact, before I got out of there, I heard a customer at another register tell the cashier that she was down to the last check in her checkbook.

Checks aren't going away, like for a long long time. I need them to pay odd bills, like what do you do to pay rent or a water softener service or what not that doesn't have ePay? But old lady's in line need to be shot if they write checks agreed.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm lost on what we're arguing. Are you a member of a CU? Then that's why it's free. I doubt a CU is offering free ATM to BoA customers. I'm a member of a CU that has a bunch of ATM's in a major sports complex. Those are free to me and maybe members of other CU's, but they sure as hell aren't free to everyone.

Now if you're a member of a CU, then they may reimburse you for any other ATM fees. But that's not quiet the same thing. My CU doesn't reimburse me (they paid too much for that exclusive arena contract) so I accept that I can only get free withdrawals at Publix supermarkets.

I have a CU account because CU's are better. But the fact big banks charge for ATM's is not why they're worse than CU's.

I'm saying my CU offers free atms nationwide, not some random distance you attempted to burn me with. Many others offer free everywhere as well. Big banks are not necessary, and in fact are evil. But sorry for your lovely CU, maybe shop around.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm saying my CU offers free atms nationwide, not some random distance you attempted to burn me with. Many others offer free everywhere as well. Big banks are not necessary, and in fact are evil. But sorry for your lovely CU, maybe shop around.

Hey, somebody's got to defend the big banks.

My point is that credit unions are almost always a compromise versus big banks. Sure you get better customer service, better rates, and fewer fees - but you lose convenience - which is apparently worth a lot since it's the only real advantage big banks have. And one of the costs for convenience is fees, even if it's just fees to non-customers using ATM's.

It probably won't be a competitive edge for much longer since no one carries cash anymore and you can do almost all your banking via a phone app.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
There is literally nothing less convenient about my credit union than there were about any of the banks I have been a customer of. Nothing at all.

The only thing missing are arbitrary fees and the misguided belief my money belongs to them instead of me.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Burt Sexual posted:

Checks aren't going away, like for a long long time. I need them to pay odd bills, like what do you do to pay rent or a water softener service or what not that doesn't have ePay? But old lady's in line need to be shot if they write checks agreed.

Standing orders or direct bank transfers. This stuff isn't complex!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hey, somebody's got to defend the big banks.

My point is that credit unions are almost always a compromise versus big banks. Sure you get better customer service, better rates, and fewer fees - but you lose convenience - which is apparently worth a lot since it's the only real advantage big banks have. And one of the costs for convenience is fees, even if it's just fees to non-customers using ATM's.

It probably won't be a competitive edge for much longer since no one carries cash anymore and you can do almost all your banking via a phone app.

What conveinience am I losing exactly?

And no checs and cash will be here till you and me die at least.

Corrode posted:

Standing orders or direct bank transfers. This stuff isn't complex!

What is a standing order and how do I explain this to my guy that didn't graduate high school yet does a valuable service for me? He actually prefers being unbanked too.

So rent? How's that work too?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

The only thing I miss at my CU is being able to deposit cash at the atm

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carrion Luggage posted:

The only thing I miss at my CU is being able to deposit cash at the atm

Why can't you? Any ATM is all the same?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Why can't you? Any ATM is all the same?

What?

The bank I was previously with had the option to deposit cash via the ATM, the CU I changed does not have this option. A drop box, sure. That is taken care of the next business day, but at the bank it was taken in an verified by the ATM and put into the account right then.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

So were you put up as collateral to secure a loan when you were a child or something?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Burt Sexual posted:

What is a standing order and how do I explain this to my guy that didn't graduate high school yet does a valuable service for me? He actually prefers being unbanked too.

So rent? How's that work too?

I'm in the UK so maybe terminology is different, but hopefully this is understandable.

There's three ways to pay directly from a bank account.

One is a direct bank transfer. The payee gives you their account details (in the UK, a sort code i.e. bank identifier and account number i.e. individual identifier). You contact your bank and say "hey, pay this guy £30 from my bank account." I usually do this online, but you can set up to do it on the phone or in a branch as well. Typically you pay this one for one-off or irregular stuff - e.g. we paid for the flowers and the cake for our wedding this way. Also handy for small cash transfers between friends.

Two is the standing order. This is basically the same as the above, except you tell the bank "I need to pay them every four weeks" or "every month on the 30th" or whatever. Again, I can set these up online or on the phone or in the branch. This is how I've paid rent everywhere I've ever done, with the sole exception of at uni where I paid by direct debit.

Three is the direct debit. In the UK these are heavily regulated - only approved (in practice, medium-large) companies can set them up. Instead of me phoning the bank, the company will take my details and then send them to the bank en masse with all the other new direct debits they've set up. They collect at whatever the agreed payment interval is and the bank pays them directly. Customers have less control over these (although they can still cancel them outright at any time), but there's a lot of protections in place to stop them being abused. The majority of the time these are used by utilities - phone, power, water - or mortgages.

How do you explain this to some random dude? I dunno, everyone I know from all age groups is familiar with these. I've worked a few customer service jobs taking payments and all the customers I ever had got it - although many people are fuzzy on the fine distinctions between a standing order and a direct debit. They're not very complex concepts.

Otherwise there's always Paypal - I just paid a tattoo deposit by Paypal and those places will stop being cash-only on the day cash stops existing and not a minute before.

The only things that don't get paid like this often are tradesmen - cash is still king. We pay our cleaner in cash, and if I called a plumber or whatever I'd expect to pay cash too (although sometimes they have other options). For those, I walk to one of the free ATMs within 5 minutes of my home. Admittedly this is harder if you don't live in a major city, but even most rural villages are within a short drive of somewhere you can get free cash (usually - paid ATMs exist but only in places where you're likely to have no other option if you need cash right now, like at motorway service stations. All major banks are signed up to an agreement which means you can use any of their ATMs for free, and most supermarkets have free ATMs in too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't one of the companies in this thread 'circling the drain' Cabella's? Because they just got bought for 5.5 billion by Bass Pro Shops.

It sounds like they're keeping branding separate and operations and management in each company's home cities. But that never lasts.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Oct 3, 2016